Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are the first impressions or reviews?

Comments

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Normally when a new game launches, within a few days (if not hours) there are some folks sharing their thoughts and experiences on it.

I'm not seeing much of anything so far, which seems atypical.

So if you are actually playing it I'd be interested in hearing your initial thoughts.

One day I intend to play a survival game, but not until a fairly polished one finally makes the scene. (I am aware this is EA)

Well, I have 8 hours in and I'm enjoying myself. We took off the "lose your stuff on death" and that made the game more palatable.

Especially because combat is a bit wonky at the moment. Cool thing is one of our people discovered a stone under water that gave some back story on the world. Had he not been diving he would never have found it.

At the moment I'm enjoying leveling slowly and building (as one of our people said) "Sov's mansion on a hill".

There are definitely thing to discover but your mileage may vary if you are not an explorer.
    Can single players turn off the lose your stuff at death setting?

I realize its a multiplayer game but I wouldn't mind practicing solo to learn the ropes before going head to head.

It would save a lot of redos.
    Yep you can create you own private server and set your own rules from god mode to turning off food and drink to spawning every resource and starting out at level 50...your server your rules.  The only bad thing about your own server is if you play with friends they have to stay within a certain distance to the host.  
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Hosting design is very bad.  You can spend 30 minutes finding a game that is not burdened by lag.
  • CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Ozmodan said:
    Hosting design is very bad.  You can spend 30 minutes finding a game that is not burdened by lag.
    That's why they fired pingperfect.  The demand was far more than they anticipated and pingperfect couldn't manage the volume.  
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    For those on team green getting a lot of skips and choppy video, the latest driver for Nvidia smoothed my game out a ton. Night and day kind of thing. Without a torch.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Normally when a new game launches, within a few days (if not hours) there are some folks sharing their thoughts and experiences on it.

I'm not seeing much of anything so far, which seems atypical.

So if you are actually playing it I'd be interested in hearing your initial thoughts.

One day I intend to play a survival game, but not until a fairly polished one finally makes the scene. (I am aware this is EA)

Well, I have 8 hours in and I'm enjoying myself. We took off the "lose your stuff on death" and that made the game more palatable.

Especially because combat is a bit wonky at the moment. Cool thing is one of our people discovered a stone under water that gave some back story on the world. Had he not been diving he would never have found it.

At the moment I'm enjoying leveling slowly and building (as one of our people said) "Sov's mansion on a hill".

There are definitely thing to discover but your mileage may vary if you are not an explorer.
    Can single players turn off the lose your stuff at death setting?

I realize its a multiplayer game but I wouldn't mind practicing solo to learn the ropes before going head to head.

It would save a lot of redos.
    As another poster indicated "yes" you can solo play.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EdoamarEdoamar Member CommonPosts: 5
    Very nice game
  • KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    @Kyleran, did you ever dive in?  If so, what were your thoughts on Conan Exiles?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Kilrane said:
    @Kyleran, did you ever dive in?  If so, what were your thoughts on Conan Exiles?
    Not yet @Kilrane, waiting for the official "release" before I give it a go.

I want my first survival game experience to be a good one.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    Well dude as long as you are having Fun that is all that matters.WE just hope your fun is not a honeymoon phase and lasts more than month.
    Yes playing with friends be it RL or online friends makes a world of difference to your happiness level.
    I am not here to ruin your fun or thoughts just giving my opinion.
    IMO the game looks rushed and very limited on effort,it in all honesty looks like a fast easy cash grab.
    I despise early access games in a big way.It is a cop out for the developer to test the waters.If there is a huge response then they continue to develop,if not then VERY little money is sunk into it,even though everyone of these devs will tell you about their commitment to the game.
    The big picture,a very high majority have already left the game,it is not very content rich and imo very little will be done moving forward,so yeah just a cheap quick cash grab.

Imo it is best to never get involved with EA games,they almost never amount to anything more than you see on the first day.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 910
    I also played this game and i find it lame that you can just build a warhammer and knock people down..efter you spend a whole day to build ur t3 armour...i died in 2 hits from that hammer and could not move or flee...stupid pvp

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

You all bitched so much about nothing being perfect the companies listened and gave you perfect clones.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    I have never bitched about perfect,i played the Everquest games for years and they were likely the worst buggy non polished games to ever hit the internet.I even enjoyed Vanguard,so i think my resume speaks for itself,PERFECT is not something  i care about.
    I just like good plausible ideas with some depth in systems,that is it that is all.I don't mind a clone or two or 5 but when 99% of the genre looks like EQ2/WOW clones then it gets looking retarded.
    Most all arpg's are identical,more moba's are identical,everything in gaming now looks like it came off an assembly line,yes even survival games are identical,very little effort and very little creativity in gaming right now.

Besides that cloning has no relation to perfection what so ever,if you clone a 3/10 then everything after is a 3/10.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    Kenrich said:
    The Hive leader did one on this site check it out  :o
    Thanks, I normally ignore anything titled "Hiveleader" so I'll go back and give it a read.
    lmfao ....................me to.... the ignore part....
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Wizardry said:
    IMO the game looks rushed and very limited on effort,it in all honesty looks like a fast easy cash grab.
    I despise early access games in a big way.It is a cop out for the developer to test the waters.If there is a huge response then they continue to develop,if not then VERY little money is sunk into it,even though everyone of these devs will tell you about their commitment to the game.

Honestly I'm not really sure what's wrong with that.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I almost universally hate EA games, for slightly different reasons than you.  Most of the reason I hate them is because they end up dragging out for years bordering on decades before they "release". That being said if it wasn't for EA there wouldn't be a ton of really good gems like Rimworld, Factorio, etc.

Back to the main point, I get tired of people dispersing responsibility from themselves. Steam makes it VERY clear what you are buying/paying for, and you accept the risk of that when you "purchase" access to an EA game.  There are far too many people who are treating EA games like released games. Regardless of the hidden intention or agenda of the game developer, you as a consumer have to make educated choices, and live with the consequences of those choices.

If you buy a specific car, and after 6 months you realize it wasn't what you really wanted or hoped it would be, but it's not dysfunctional, just not what you thought.  Guess what, it's still your car. You bought it. You live with that decision.

Why should we treat games any different?  I can't even begin to say how many games I've bought that were released by AAA game studios that I pretty much hated, wasn't what I expected or hoped it would be.  I moved on with my life. Amazing.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Hrimnir said:
    Wizardry said:

Honestly I'm not really sure what's wrong with that.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I almost universally hate EA games, for slightly different reasons than you.  Most of the reason I hate them is because they end up dragging out for years bordering on decades before they "release". That being said if it wasn't for EA there wouldn't be a ton of really good gems like Rimworld, Factorio, etc.

Back to the main point, I get tired of people dispersing responsibility from themselves. Steam makes it VERY clear what you are buying/paying for, and you accept the risk of that when you "purchase" access to an EA game.  There are far too many people who are treating EA games like released games. Regardless of the hidden intention or agenda of the game developer, you as a consumer have to make educated choices, and live with the consequences of those choices.

If you buy a specific car, and after 6 months you realize it wasn't what you really wanted or hoped it would be, but it's not dysfunctional, just not what you thought.  Guess what, it's still your car. You bought it. You live with that decision.

Why should we treat games any different?  I can't even begin to say how many games I've bought that were released by AAA game studios that I pretty much hated, wasn't what I expected or hoped it would be.  I moved on with my life. Amazing.

Autos aren't a great example as generally they are released as complete product, there's no early access version with only 3 wheels.

Games used to be like that and then things went all sorts of sideways.

Weird

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Kyleran said:
    Hrimnir said:
    Wizardry said:

Autos aren't a great example as generally they are released as complete product, there's no early access version with only 3 wheels.

Games used to be like that and then things went all sorts of sideways.

Weird

I don't strictly speaking disagree with that statement.  However, I'm sure you'll agree, there are likely on the order of millions if not billions of posts on forums everywhere on the internet for released games that people are whinging on about how it wasn't what they expected and that they got "screwed" and blah blah blah because of some bullshit reason.  Let's say that its a bioware game and they wanted to be able to romance a certain character and they couldn't, so now they're arguing that they didn't get what they paid for, etc etc etc.

So yes, if you for example you are buying a complete product and let's say they advertised that the game would have a Paladin class at release, and there is no paladin class in game, and no communication as such, etc.  Then yes I would have a severe problem with that.

But let's look at other examples, my best friend was extremely disappointed with Mass Effect 2 for a multitude of reasons, but the primary was that it was only 10-12 hours or so of gameplay.  Now, they didn't advertise that as being the case, they weren't dishonest, etc, but he had an expectation that it would have more gameplay based on the previous game.

He wasn't screwed, he didn't get a faulty product, etc, it just wasn't what he expected (whether those expectations were justified or not). That being said, he didn't run off demanding a refund and whining on forums.

BTW im not suggesting you are doing this at all, im just referring to people in general who do that sort of behavior.

One of my favorite examples was a guy who posted on a factorio screen shot, when he has his flashlight shown on a tree, the tree's shadow was just a static graphic it wasn't dynamic lighting.  He titled the reddit post as "Literally gamebreaking" (as a joke) to make fun of how people will make out the most miniscule ridiculous things to be some huge issue.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• StellaBellaStellaBella Member UncommonPosts: 32
    This game is in early access, it has not launched.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    I wonder if it'll still be in Early Access a few years from now.
    edited April 2017
    I'm not sure what the term "launched" even means these days. But I am sure "early access" means half-baked. ;) 

Weird

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    For those of you looking to play this game I would advise you to wait a bit longer. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I've not tried CE, but a friend of mine has it.  I'll probably go visit him and have a look-see in a couple of weeks.

His early report wasn't good.  There were a lot of issues with crafting (that's his thing), and some that were nearly game-breaking -- item duplication, crafted items disappearing, that type of thing.  His initial report was that the multiplayer was totally toxic, so much so that he switched on server mode and is running a Solo Online game.  I wonder how many of the people responding and commenting on this site are in single player mode as opposed to a multiplayer server.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Mendel said:
    I've not tried CE, but a friend of mine has it.  I'll probably go visit him and have a look-see in a couple of weeks.

His early report wasn't good.  There were a lot of issues with crafting (that's his thing), and some that were nearly game-breaking -- item duplication, crafted items disappearing, that type of thing.  His initial report was that the multiplayer was totally toxic, so much so that he switched on server mode and is running a Solo Online game.  I wonder how many of the people responding and commenting on this site are in single player mode as opposed to a multiplayer server.

Well of course multiplayer is going to be 'toxic'... it's an online PvP game.  People are going to kill each other and be dicks about it.  What was your buddy expecting?
    Griffbane
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,266
    I am pretty disappointed in this game.  I was kind of expecting a large, perpetual, open world.  Instead, all I see are a bunch of small servers, owned by someone, with a max of ~30 people.  There is no large, perpetual, open world. 

I'm sure I missed something where this was explained, but that doesn't remove my overall disappointment.
    I am pretty disappointed in this game.  I was kind of expecting a large, perpetual, open world.  Instead, all I see are a bunch of small servers, owned by someone, with a max of ~30 people.  There is no large, perpetual, open world. 

I'm sure I missed something where this was explained, but that doesn't remove my overall disappointment.
    Long ago and far away I lived in the "other" Erie (PA).  :)

I've pretty much given up on this one and am following the progress of D & L

ultimateduck

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    I find it interesting in the description for this game is "You are an exile, one of thousands cast out to fend for themselves in a barbaric wasteland swept in sandstorms and besieged by enemies on every side."

Then you read from a forum poster "I was kind of expecting a large, perpetual, open world.  Instead, all I see are a bunch of small servers, owned by someone, with a max of ~30 people.  There is no large, perpetual, open world."  

So, why doesn't the description as "one of thousands" match the reality of the "one of thirty"? Answer: Funcom.