Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I Afford To Install Another Game To My SSD?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
I've currently got 3 games installed on my SSD, and the space right now is 282gb left out of a 446gb SSD (It's 500gb, but showing up as 446gb :/).

With 282gb of space, do you feel I can afford to install another 50-60gb worth of game?  I only ask because I've read that the more space you fill up on a SSD, the slower it gets and can actually become really slow, so apparently you're meant to keep a specific amount of space unused on a SSD.

Would appreciate some help guys, thank you.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Two word answer?  Install it.

When you get to around 90% - 95% full you'll want to do some directory tree trimming.  

All solid state drives are manufactured with more storage area than advertised.  This storage is reserved for when active storage cells become faulty.  At that time some of the reserved cells are made active to take the place of defective cells.  That reserve storage is only about 5% - 10% of the reported size of the drive.   
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Thanks, that's great.
  • YanebuYanebu Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited April 2019
    I was worried, the same question about the hard drive. Thanks for the answer. Now, I know that I can install several games, and the space that is not visible is the reserved space by the system There is still one solution, now many games can be played online without occupying space on the hard disk. I try to play https://free-slots-no-download.com/igt-software/1470-cleopatra-igt/ , my computer works well.

Post edited by Yanebu on
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    FuryV said:
    I've currently got 3 games installed on my SSD, and the space right now is 282gb left out of a 446gb SSD (It's 500gb, but showing up as 446gb :/).

With 282gb of space, do you feel I can afford to install another 50-60gb worth of game?  I only ask because I've read that the more space you fill up on a SSD, the slower it gets and can actually become really slow, so apparently you're meant to keep a specific amount of space unused on a SSD.

I mean you can but does the game "update a lot" "Store Game Logs / Chat Logs" Like EVE Online because all these use up writes and kill the SSD Faster...

On my OS I only store Applications or Programs and my OS on my SSD that don't update often or won't be updating and the OS, and my other drives Western Digital's for games standard Hard Drives, depending on what I am doing I split the load of games between Hard Drives, for example "Multi-Boxing the best would be a SSD, but if using Regular Drives like I do I split the games between two different drives so the disk head doesn't have to go looking for the data from the games during loading / zoning and slow everything down, not to mention combat when you Multi-Box.
  • VuenitoVuenito Member CommonPosts: 4
    The release of disk space does not speed up the computer, at least not in itself. This myth is so common, because filling your hard drive often occurs simultaneously with other processes that traditionally can slow down your computer. Personally, I usually buy a new larger disk when I have about 20-25% of free space left. This is not related to performance, just when I get to this point - it means that soon the place will end, which means it's time to buy a new disk.
  • TainnyeTainnye Member CommonPosts: 4
    When it comes to system requirements, you need to clearly understand that they specify the minimum parameters that are sufficient to install and start the system. For long-term and comfortable work they are not suitable.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    FuryV said:

Yeah, the file system is using the rest of the space, that is why it say 446Gb even though the drive is 500 gig. NTSF use more then old fat32.

I would save at least 80 gigs for updates and temp files, and you can also clear the C:/Windows/temp folder to get rid of a huge waste of space (it get insanely filled with junk fast).

So you should be good.
  • Jamesw30Jamesw30 Member CommonPosts: 10
    didnt even think about installing to a SSD, given me some ideas