Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should i get this game?

thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788
 i never played UO is it any good are there alot people and is it noob friendly

Comments

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

well UO used to be fun until AOS destroyed it...but if i was you i would try one of the freeshards and play uo when it was a great game. the one i play has professional staff runnin the server and there always doin quests and other cool stuff and best of all its free to play!! ea uo sucks...

and if your interested in playin the shard just pm me and ill help you out ingame with everything!

gamertag - Swaffle House

• jacobRjacobR Member Posts: 141
    could you tell me UO's monthly Fee? i havent played in a long time
  • digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

forget about it i hate to say it being a long time vet but UO has been dead for years, it not worst a try.. not even the free shards are worth the time,

• jacobRjacobR Member Posts: 141
    whats wrong with it
  • garrison13garrison13 Member Posts: 97

Still plenty people playing and enjoying UO, certainly on my shard anyway. Already seeing large numbers returning from WoW.

Try the game out, if you're in the States UO Gold is being released in Walmart's very shortly $9.99 with 45 day free trial. Quite hard to start, but ultimately worth it.

People are constantly comparing the game to as it was a number of years ago. Things move on and evolve (maybe not always for the best) and people's main problems are with the changes made over the years.

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

or its because of the outright idiotic Developers running the game.

I do not care if they took a email survey of current players and they were asked about races, and everyone responds elven, and suddenly they are adding ELVES to UO? Can you honestly say that Elves are the best fit for UO storyline?

Match that up this new expansion is totally replacing the swamp that is Yew, the story behind that is the elves are cleaning it up...so basically the yew area being a swamp was part of the storyline from a previous expansion(Lord Blackthorns revenge) well they messed up that storyline a few years ago by not making each shard have the swamp or not everyone was simply forced to get it, and now with a whole new set of developers running UO they make the same mistake every shard is getting the swamp taken away because suddently the elves appear and clean it up...

Either way you look at it, they are invalidating the previous expansion Lord Blackthorns Revenge and they are making the same mistake again by simply pushing what they believe to be a good storyline onto every single shard the same.

So the person who complains of mistakes of the past, the Developers who weren't around during Lord Blackthorns Revenge are making the same mistake the previous Developers made, How on earth can you not simply sit around and call the UO Developers that they are not stupid!

I am aware of the current storyline and inconsistencies, but for someone completely new to the game this will make no difference to them at all. I'd a great deal more problems with the Samurai expansion than I do with Mondain's Legacy. I think elves fit in much more to the UO storyline than samurai's and ninja's.
    This post is about whether someone should try the game for the first time, not whether the Dev's are stupid or not. I still think the game has a lot to offer to new players.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Originally posted by garrison13

I am aware of the current storyline and inconsistencies, but for someone completely new to the game this will make no difference to them at all. I'd a great deal more problems with the Samurai expansion than I do with Mondain's Legacy. I think elves fit in much more to the UO storyline than samurai's and ninja's.
    This post is about whether someone should try the game for the first time, not whether the Dev's are stupid or not. I still think the game has a lot to offer to new players.

Correct. . .to a new player, your not going to notice any of the flaws that the vets have noticed.  Like ninjas and elves...it sucks to us.  But to a new person, this is slightly different.  I would say...get the game, if you don't like how it plays, then maybe you could try one of the free servers (although they usually suck).  This game is really addicting, was my first MMORPG in the year 2000.  and I mean i was ADDICTED to it.  I would have to rate the game a 8.5/10.  First off, the graphics are way way out of date, and it could be kind of hard for people to get into.  But to be honest, it's the only reall RPG mmorpg out there.  Alot of people still Role play.  So, sorry for all this babble...I would try the game...but it.  You can get it cheap.  If you don't like it, then try a free server, but I honestly think you'll like it.
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

I can understand if you choose to ignore the all the previous single player Ultima Games, I only ever played one of them Ultima IV and I didn't finish it. So I really cannot comment on whether have a historical background in the Ultima lore.

HOWEVA....I will state that if you are going to add a new race to the game, how on any sane persons mind would you add Elves over Orcs, Since the online game of UO was created there were Roleplaying guilds based arounds Orcs, Before AoS and all this item quality equipment, Orc guilds a lot of them simply talked in Orcish speak to be in Roleplay. They wore only equipment you saw the NPC Orcs wear, Only Orcish cheiftains, or other leaders of the guild could ride a mount. It was impressive to see Orc Guilds around. The Ultima Online Developers never supported that kind of ingenunity, and they flat out deny it ever existed by making Elves the choice for a new race. They simply are sellouts to the other games that have suprassed the popularity of Ultima Online, Listen if your thinking of trying ULtima Online because it has Elves don't go play a better game that has done Elves in a better fashion. Play a freaking Dark elf of Everquest II, freaking better well done, instead of many different shades of Elvish skin colors like UO's version will have.

For godsake anyone who says Ultima is still the only real Role Playing game out there, I am sorry to say you do not play todays current Ultima Online at all. You are simply stating that because maybe it use to be the best online game to roleplay in.

What possible way could you roleplay having Fire Cloak and Robes as part of your equipment. In the Ultima Universe? Ice White, Ice Blue, Dark Grey, any number of veteran reeward colored cloaks/robes.

Let alone these Treasures of Tokuno that added the NEON dyes to every single piece of armour and weapon that you wear so your entire body will appear neon on screen. These new Artifacts they create there is no in game lore to what they are, nor are any of the Artifacts referencing old Charcters from Ultima Online, ok I think there is one called Iolo's harp or something like that. But there is no in game books to explain why its freaking neon white in color. Where are the little books you find in NPC bookcases that talk about such and such special artifact write a history on why its an artifact and why its so great, they haven't they simply put these artifacts in teh game with no story background. I say again screw you Ultima Online is a roleplayers haven, there is no depth to this game, none!

Stop with the ninjas and samurai, get over this other hurdle first.

Admit it these Developers simply DO NOT CARE one iota for roleplaying, storyline, or shard integreity. If they do they lie out of their mouths because every action they force upon the game proves otherwise. They are simply sellouts with no clear direction on making a great story laden game that matters one inch.

I do know that some of the Dev's are flying from the USA to England to meet up with players for a few hours and then on to Berlin the next day, which would suggest someone somewhere cares a little.
    Also you'd be surprised at the weird stuff in the pre-online Ultima games that would cause outrage if implemented ::::19::

• galefan2004galefan2004 Member Posts: 127

No, no, no!

Its not a fun game. Its boring and tedious. The game play sucks. The game is about to get even worse. The systems are overly complicated and the developers do not have a clear vision that involves anything other than copying all other games.

I wouldn't waste my time with this game. If you are interested in what UO will offer after UO:ML then play WoW because UO:ML copies all of its systems from WoW.

If the game play was anything today like it was in 2000/2001 I would have never stopped being addicted to it. However, it is nothing like that anymore. Its not even a complete game anymore. Its not a fun game anymore. There is hardly any game play left and the veteran community is so upset about the changes that they are simply not nice anymore. There is a huge problem when the veterans don't even want to play the game, and that will effect new players even if they don't recognize why everyone just seems bored out of their minds about the game.

Just because they fly around the world doesn't mean they care about players. They care about taking players money and they realise that if you speak to players in person its a lot easier to sell the garbage you are spouting. When they do stuff like make an entire expansion based on WoW because WoW took some of the player base which are not returning because they didn't like these exact systems in WoW then you are basically shooting yourself in the foot and slapping all your players upside the head.

A lot depends on what you want to do in game. There is still no game with the RP community or the house customisation options of UO, and unlikely that any will have. Having met 3 of the devs and had a beer with them I found them to be very sincere people who played and cared about the game. Didn't really seem that interested in selling us ML but hearing our point of view on numerous issues and having a good night.
    I always laugh when people say they're ripping of WoW, if anything the ideas are from Everquest 2 which WoW is almost a carbon copy of.
    As to boring, I quit EQ2 after a couple of months because of the endless grinding and I'm increasingly bored of WoW for the same reasons.

• ZeffyZeffy Member Posts: 11

I have been tempted to try this game but it seems like it's days might be numbered. Is there a sequel in development?

no sequels are in Development.

They cancelled their latest incarnation of Ultima Online between January of 2005 and July of 2005. Since it was never announced as a sequel they will deny it and it was never a public sequel in the making. Even Computer Gaming world or PC Gamer in the last month made a blurb about it in their magazine I forget which since I get both. A Sequel that no one knew about that was cancelled. They were pitched a Magazine cover about 10 months ago they said.

I know for a fact, because in January I attended a survey group where they asked us questions on how we'd like the integration from the old to the new, of which their questions were flat out stupid and would never have worked. They told us about the new game, even called it Ultima Online: Kingdoms. It had a new client, which is what the game sorely needs and it was very average looking not going to make Ultima Online the "Godfather" of all MMORPGs, which Sunsword maybe more than a year ago proclaimed that was his grand vision for Ultima Online.

Hell! They wont' even announce that Sunsword is not the direct person in charge of Ultima Online now and that its Lady Lu. Sunsword got one of those *cough* promotions upwards to director of everything online at Electronic Arts.

If you'll search out as well, when the Developer Vex left Electronic Arts and Ultima Online, he had some nasty words to say about the management people at EA, not quite sure if Vex meant Sunsword who was the producer of Ultima Online at the time or someone else unamed that we have never met.

Absolutely NOT. This game sux and is only going to get worst. Don't spend your hard earned money on a game that hasn't had an original idea in its head since 2001 and bans anyone that dare say they are not the leet of the leet on their boards.

Crap games like this don't give out sequels. Trust me, you do not want to play any MMORPG made by EA. It would be more sufficient to bang your head against the wall for hours then wonder why its bruised.