Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Last Moments of Asheron's Call - Asheron's Call Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageThe Last Moments of Asheron's Call - Asheron's Call Videos - MMORPG.com

Saying goodbye is never easy. Today, thousands of players said goodbye to the friends they made while playing the MMO Asheron's Call as the plug was pulled on its servers after 17 years. We were there to document the final moments and reminisce with a few of the community's most dedicated players about their time spent in the world of Dereth.

Read the full story here

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    One of the Best games ever made , shame it has to die with some of the crap games that are put out today dont have 1/2 the depth of gameplay that AC offered
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I remember this game and my experiences in it very fondly.. Asheron's Call remains an inspiration to me even as I delve deeper into game design.. It is always a sad thing to see a game pass on.. Rest in peace and player's fond memories, AC..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    God I wish Standing Stone also got AC, so we'd get a sequel. But that's just wishful thinking. Instead, Turbine will probably put out a terrible mobile version. :(

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    server admin at the end was a dick, not even a thank you
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    My first mmo and why I view mmorpgs differently than most. This game tried to be something different from the very beginning. Sadly we've been stuck with clones of what became more popular ever since.

There is a bright side however. The more players forced to leave games they paid years for will create a larger demand for mmorpgs cut from a different cloth like Asheron's Call was. The market is already filling with unofficial sequels to games no longer supported by their original developer.

Perhaps AC will have it's day in the future but Project Gorgon is one closely related to AC in spirit. Daoc has Camelot Unchained. I've recently discovered Day of Infamy which is the Day of Defeat sequel I've always wanted (since DoD:source sucked). Old Wow has massive private server support and evolving into something ... not sure what, but something. UO, CoH and even EQ have inspired projects in the works.

Perhaps all of this will open up more freedom for player run support on old games. I personally will miss the lore AC brought to the genre. It was original and felt like no other game out there.

You stay sassy!

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Stuff like this is sad. Especially for the older MMO's that saw us through thick and thin. I find with many of the new MMO's the sense of community is severely lacking. I haven't played an MMO with a decent community in YEARS. God I miss the community in EQ way back when.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I never played seriously but knew enough about AC to have a lot of respect for it. I hope it pulls a Phoenix soon....
  • AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256
    My first MMO was Asheron's call. Joined November 1999 and played through the first couple years of the ongoing story. Very fond memories. Also played AC2 and was there for the final moments the first time its plug was pulled. Logged into AC2 again last night for a last look around. Sad the very end was during my work hours so I couldn't be there. I doubt there'll be another MMO set in Dereth. I"ll miss the lore and the unique races. Always loved playing a Tonk (Tumerok).
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Sorry to see AC go. It was a great game and my go to alternate when I needed a break from Ultima Online.

Lets hope we can just remember the good times and not take the low ground of constantly waxing poetic like the SWG sad sacks did. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    I will miss AC, it was one of my first mmos and will always hold a special place in my hear. i logged on to say my good bye to one of the last awesome mmo communities out there. It was a lovely sight of comradery vs what we get now with peoples ego and greed.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    :( bye AC.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    /sigh
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    Really sad to see this happen =( so many people lose friends in a world
    probably to never see those people ever again

Always a sad thing , but then most people wouldn't understand
  • FritzpowerFritzpower Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I've never played it, but I symapthize with you. My first mmo was SWG but it had the same fate
    and I can feel your loss.

/respect
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Binny45 said:

Stuff like this is sad. Especially for the older MMO's that saw us through thick and thin. I find with many of the new MMO's the sense of community is severely lacking. I haven't played an MMO with a decent community in YEARS. God I miss the community in EQ way back when.

If these players now jump into another game and expect a similar community - boy are they in for a shock with some games.
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Sad to see AC finally sunset, I couldn't face logging on to see it finally be closed, I've played it on and off since 1999, I made some great friends in AC, some of them are still my friend today and we play other games together.

AC had a great community, same as EQ had back in the day, these days I find it hard to reallyget into any MMO as the communities are so transitory.

Goodbye AC, I have extremely fond memories, great friends and a great experience.

And R.I.P. Turbine, once a good gaming company now just a shell with a name.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Asheron's Call was my first mmo, started in November 1999. I only played for a few years, and I moved on to the sequel. I also played AC2 for a couple of years. I made lasting friendships in both of those games, and I still game with a few of the same folks. The communities in AC1/2 were some of the best I have ever experienced in the gaming world. It is truly sad to see such an outstanding IP die like this.

When they brought the AC2 server back a few years ago, the wife and I jumped back on to relive some of our experiences there. Outside of a few flaws here and there, the game still looked and played wonderfully.

Asheron's Call, the original, is still the most unique mmo I have ever played. You will be missed.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    That was kinda morbid, the way everyone evaporated with the closing of the game. Almost like watching people die; is that because I'm a nerd?
  • beanie414beanie414 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    First MMO game I ever played with my brother and still the best one for me. No game have ever scratched that itch that this game left me with.They had a great community that helped unlike some of today's. I still think a drudge dying is one of my favourite sounds. Its a sad day but at least we have the fond memories of playing it.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    This game was one of my first MMOs- I remember begging my brother to use his card to pay the sub for me :-) R.I.P

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    That guy at the end, Oo.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Also my First MMO. This game started it all for me.

Hunting on the Obby plains with my clan is something I'll always look back on fondly.

Cuts deep.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• BoscoDCatBoscoDCat Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Another one here whom AC was their first. Had many awesome times that came from the lands Dereth, hanging out in Sawato on Leafcull. Have spent most of the time since then trying to chase that 'first time high' in various games with varying results, but playing the game from beta and even developing Decal plugins for it will be some of my most fond memories.