Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 5 Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Features We’re Really Excited About - The List at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 29,329
edited January 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageTop 5 Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Features We’re Really Excited About - The List at MMORPG.com

Over the past months we have closely been following Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. Brad McQuaid has done a fantastic job of roping in old school MMO mechanics with a new twist and an exciting world for players. Pantheon heralds back to Brad’s success with Everquest, but it also break ground into a new future for MMORPGs.

Read the full story here


¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


«134

Comments

  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    edited January 2017
    This game looks sooo good. I'm glad it's finally getting the recognition/attention it deserves, but I was shocked the article didn't include the perception system - among other major features in Pantheon - that will really set this game apart from others. Just having a challenging MMO that doesn't hold your hand is exciting enough...hope to see more updates from their team though..seems like testing should've started by now. My only fear is this turns into another EQNext ( i.e. doesn't get finished)
    Post edited by Zuljan on
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 24,962
    I don't know what the rules are for kickstarter but I bet if they had another one they would actually get the funding they wanted now that they actually have something to show.



  • lothariclotharic Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Eh...Ideas are easy. Let's see some solid execution.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,603
    This MMO has more promise then any game in development IMO. I think their only downfall will be holding on to old game systems like heavy death penalty over taking time to think how they could make it have a modern twist while keeping the fear of death high. Keeping old systems just because thats how it was with EQ1 in its glory days, without asking how we could make it better IMO will just drive off customers, even the ones that think this is what they want. 



  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 1,934

    Sovrath said:

    I don't know what the rules are for kickstarter but I bet if they had another one they would actually get the funding they wanted now that they actually have something to show.



    I wish they would do that. Not to add new features and new milestones but the expand the current team. Probably a good time would be after alpha.
    Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Sovrath said:
    I don't know what the rules are for kickstarter but I bet if they had another one they would actually get the funding they wanted now that they actually have something to show.

    Totally agree. They came in on that cusp where what KS Campaigns were expected to deliver (meaning show us something). This was around the time when John Romero pushed for his Shaker project (with Brenda Brathwaite). It failed miserably, which is inconceivable to me, or maybe I'm overestimating the Wizardry following. Either way, it failed horribly because they came to the table with nothing. Camelot Unchained almost suffered the same fate when they came to the table with nothing (even less than Pantheon). It was probably some late-campaign in-engine tomfoolery which actually saved it. 

    Honestly, I'd love to see them do another campaign. I don't know if I'd do a Kickstarter, though. Why not do a Fig and jump on the whole Investment angle while you're at it? 

    That said, maybe they're ok with the cadence and they don't want additional money to expand. Maybe they feel like they'd run into the same uproar they did with their last campaign. Maybe NOT doing one allows them to operate on their own timeline without being called out. 

    As far as Rules, Shards Online ran two separate campaigns at different times, and I believe The Repopulation ran multiple campaigns for the same game, so rules? I think they'd be ok to start one. 

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    @lotharic the videos so far look really good, including one with a presentation of the basic mechanics of the perception system. The systems in the game (from what I've read and seen so far) while groundbreaking, don't appear to be any "wishful thinking/extremely difficult to code mechanics. I agree with @sovrath; I was completely unaware they ever had a kickstarter. If they launched another and everyone donated a dollar even, you'd think that would expedite things ~4-6 months.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,052
    Nanfoodle said:
    Keeping old systems just because thats how it was with EQ1 in its glory days, without asking how we could make it better
    It was flawed and beautiful, but, it wasn't beautiful because of its flaws.  And, EQ had many flaws.
  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    edited January 2017
    Nanfoodle said:
    This MMO has more promise then any game in development IMO. I think their only downfall will be holding on to old game systems like heavy death penalty over taking time to think how they could make it have a modern twist while keeping the fear of death high. Keeping old systems just because thats how it was with EQ1 in its glory days, without asking how we could make it better IMO will just drive off customers, even the ones that think this is what they want. 
    Honestly in my experience and personal opinion (dating back to original EQ, WoW, vanguard etc), the fear of death/constant respect of your surroundings is what makes your heart beat faster/ adrenaline start pumping not only during fights but things deemed "trivial" in other MMOs such as traveling. The strength of the world and the constant caution/varying aggro ranges based on level, factions, race, night/day time, just makes the world come alive and gives things more consequence. Every other game dying is simply a task (I.e. Run in ghost form back to your corpse, which is literally just a repetitive time task that we end up hating). EQ style, it adds so much, from neceomancers having a market to do corpse runs, to simply really taking your time and getting that full risk vs reward factor and actual thrill of victory when you defeat something. Actually friending people becausw they're skilled, not just to fill out groups  because everyone is competent enough to press 1,2,3,4, cyclically etc. just my 2 cents 
    Post edited by Zuljan on
    Haplos
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 4,944
    Number 2 is by far the best thing. Bring back the old days of learning spells like in FFXI where you had to farm for them or buy from npcs!
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 17,494
    edited January 2017
    Sovrath said:
    I don't know what the rules are for kickstarter but I bet if they had another one they would actually get the funding they wanted now that they actually have something to show.
    Crowdfunding for games needs to evolve a little so that there is a good way to collect revenue initially and to keep generating ongoing income. I think CSE has a pretty good setup with Camelot Unchained. FIG could also be a good platform that could experiment with this idea.
    Post edited by Torval on
    *INCOMING RADIOACTIVE SUPERCELL*

    ...silent protagonist, Interloper, Traveller...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 30,093
    The underlying tie for all of these features is they encourage player reliance, interaction, and interdependence.

    This may just turn out to be the most social virtual world created in quite some time.

    This is the greatest draw for me to follow this title.

    Ten types of internet trolls - Which one are you?

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, back in EVE until then

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon





  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 4,414
    I really want this game to succeed.

  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Fingers crossed. Wish the team well.
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Really excited for this one.

    Hoping they can re-capture that magic in a bottle with a interdependent social mmo.

    MMO companies today have lost sight of what made them so popular in the past. These guys really seem in tune with what true genre lovers need from an mmo.

    Most of us are tired of the single player MMO on rails.

    Please please be succesfull!


    The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

    The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...


    www.CeaselessGuild.com

  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,462
    This game is currently at the top of my list.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,756
    I stopped playing mmos long time ago. I still read about them almost daily, I wish I could find my home but nothing 'clicks'. I don't even bother with downloading trials anymore. This one on the other hand looks like everything I want from a game. Dependency on other players, magic system which feels "magical". World which doesn;t feel like one big park with minigames.
    I just hope I will find time to play it. I still remember long hours of waiting for group in FF XI.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,603
    edited January 2017
    3. A Variety of Races and Classes That Complement Each Other

    This is what I am looking forward to most. Im sick of playing MMOs today where each class is just a different flavor of DPS. Twitch combat has dumbed down classes to the point they are all much the same. Often even seeing skill sets having different graphics and names but when you read the description you see the classes mirror each other.

    IMO, having classes shine in an area other classes do not, is what makes it fun to play different classes. To play the same game a different way and to see people working together because of this is awesome! I am sick of the homogenization of the current class systems modern games are making.
    Post edited by Nanfoodle on



  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 11,406
    Kyleran said:
    The underlying tie for all of these features is they encourage player reliance, interaction, and interdependence.

    This may just turn out to be the most social virtual world created in quite some time.

    This is the greatest draw for me to follow this title.
    May be. The most interesting part of the social experiment to me is if the community will behave in a way that supports that.

    I wish them a small dedicated community so they have a chance.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 30,093
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    The underlying tie for all of these features is they encourage player reliance, interaction, and interdependence.

    This may just turn out to be the most social virtual world created in quite some time.

    This is the greatest draw for me to follow this title.
    May be. The most interesting part of the social experiment to me is if the community will behave in a way that supports that.

    I wish them a small dedicated community so they have a chance.
    While I have no illusions about the nobility of the modern gamer, I'm hoping "enlighted self-interest" will encourage a more social environment.




    Ten types of internet trolls - Which one are you?

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, back in EVE until then

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon





  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 2,691
    All fingers crossed... I'll be playing this for sure - regardless if it is a big hit or just with some few people on the server.

    “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.” ― Patrick RothfussThe Wise Man's Fear


    - Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 11,406
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    The underlying tie for all of these features is they encourage player reliance, interaction, and interdependence.

    This may just turn out to be the most social virtual world created in quite some time.

    This is the greatest draw for me to follow this title.
    May be. The most interesting part of the social experiment to me is if the community will behave in a way that supports that.

    I wish them a small dedicated community so they have a chance.
    While I have no illusions about the nobility of the modern gamer, I'm hoping "enlighted self-interest" will encourage a more social environment.




    Even that works best with like-minded small audiences. Haven't we all seen what mainstream success does to MMOs? Aren't you current experiencing a DAoC revival in a small community?

    My holy grail of MMO gaming is to play with just that type of dedicated niche gamers... ah the good 'ole days :) 
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 2,691
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    The underlying tie for all of these features is they encourage player reliance, interaction, and interdependence.

    This may just turn out to be the most social virtual world created in quite some time.

    This is the greatest draw for me to follow this title.
    May be. The most interesting part of the social experiment to me is if the community will behave in a way that supports that.

    I wish them a small dedicated community so they have a chance.
    While I have no illusions about the nobility of the modern gamer, I'm hoping "enlighted self-interest" will encourage a more social environment.




    Even that works best with like-minded small audiences. Haven't we all seen what mainstream success does to MMOs? Aren't you current experiencing a DAoC revival in a small community?

    My holy grail of MMO gaming is to play with just that type of dedicated niche gamers... ah the good 'ole days :) 
    I always said, and I'll say again: I'd rather play with few passionate players than with massive amounts of toxicity in map chat.

    “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.” ― Patrick RothfussThe Wise Man's Fear


    - Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 4

    lotharic said:

    Eh...Ideas are easy. Let's see some solid execution.



    watch the twitch stream with cohh
  • AraduneAradune Sigil Games CEOMember RarePosts: 294
    A couple of questions have popped up on how Pantheon is being funded. From the upcoming FAQ update:

    1.13 Has Pantheon been funded? How are you guys going to address the development costs of making an MMO?

    In addition to money coming in via crowdfunding, several angel investors have participated in seed funding. This has enabled us to put the team on payroll as well as bring on additional developers. We are currently seeking an additional round of funding to enable us to continue to build the team, specifically more artists and world builders. If you are interested in investing in Visionary Realms and Pantheon, http://visionaryrealms.com/company/investors/

    1.13.1 Can I donate or pledge to support Pantheon?

    Absolutely. While crowdfunding is not Pantheon’s only source of development resources, it is and has been an important one. http://www.pantheonmmo.com/join/

    --

    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad McQuaid
    CCO, Visionary Realms, Inc.
    www.pantheonmmo.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Sign In or Register to comment.