Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All games need a Goldshire.

TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
edited January 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I know.
Its a disputed place and either people love it or people love to hate on the little village hidden in Elwyn forest.

But here is what I think.
All MMORPGs that has released since WoW came out, that did not have a Goldshire, has struggled a lot.

Why you may ask... (Before you proceed to the usual "Goldshire is hell, Goldshire should be purged, never go Goldshire, Goldshire is full of scum")  

At the end of MoP I quit raiding and for the first time I could finally try and figure out, what I wanted to do with my time online in WoW and find a server with an active living community, regardless of a servers raiding guilds.

The server I was on at first in MoP had died, just like so many other servers I have been on through my time in WoW and every time they died, I knew it was time to move on. Next to raiding I was a trader, enjoying to make gold, but with low pop servers, trading was an extreme Esport game, trying to make gold in a wasteland with nobody to buy anything.

So I went to a RP server and came across Goldshire.
What a living place that was. A bit like stepping into a school yard. The lol crowd was the most vocal, along with the intellectuals that was sorting world political issues arguing like only intelligent Rpers can do in their own half arrogant way, cause we all know there is nobody brighter than the current person speaking like a born politician.
 Inside the inn, girls would dance on tables and dwarfs would run around and ask draenais to sniff their feet.. eerh hoves. 
Outside dualling, people on pretty mounts, Gladiators and endgame raiders in impressive gear and lvl 60s running around asking lvl 10s to dual. 
 Naked gnome beggars running from player to player asking for gold, since they were obviously homeless, people showing off their rarest or most fun toys and so much more.

Living breathing place.

Now I know Goldshire has a certain reputation and I think it is wise to not go into the cellar, weird things happen down there, if not for real, then people will make sure to make it weird.

But be that as it may.

Goldshire is these days pretty much the last living breathing place in WoW, where a lot of people are gathering in one place.

In Vanilla we had something similar for a brief while in the shape of Ironforge, but when AH was added in SW and dualling was moved outside the city quarters, IF pretty much died out.

In WOTLK Dala was ok decent active for awhile, but in Cata SW was pretty great with flying mounts everywhere.
But nothing like Goldshire, which is the place just as much for people with weird fetishes as it is a place for intellectual discussions.

After a day with hard raiding or extreme achi hunting, it was a nice place to just sit down and watch the life on the server come together.

And now due to servers dying everywhere, the goldshire on a RP server is also the place for people to give WoW a last chance before the final exit.
 Living on dead servers will, for most people, lead to the final walkaway from the game, but those few who finds people in Goldshire, will often move server to a RP server, despite it might not be their playstyle at all and they commonly stay there permanently.

Now what I have noticed is that all new MMORPGs that has released since WoW came out, have a poor city layout design.
They lack that little village in the forest, that is easy to get to from near and far at all lvls, and my guess is, when people cant find a place to just sit down and take a break, watching others chitchat, dance, laugh, scream, shout, dual and have fun, then the game gives no room for people to just casually get to know each other in a more relaxed situation.

And yes I am well aware that Goldshire is known as the erp place, but from observing the place, I find it is so much more than that. It is a place for everybody, PvEers, PvPers and RPers alike, who just enjoy being social. Erp being basically invisible. if people deliberately read some Draenais addon RP profiles, they will probably find horrors, but without the addon, there is plenty of room to just hang out with the majority of people, who are not engaged or interested in those activities.

Other games forget how important it is to have such a city or village that brings people together. Ironforge was destroyed in Vanilla, which I think was a big mistake, but at the same time a very important clue, that cities are very vulnerable to changes.

So therefore, all games should have its own Ironforge as it was at first or a Goldshire. 
Cities like that keeps games alive, and the servers with cities like that will be the last to die out.

I cant tell if Developers deliberately tries to avoid making a place like those for people to meet or if it is something they dont think about, but I will believe that if developers would make room for that kind of meeting place for everyone, they have a far greater chance at longterm succes.

Is there a question in here, you might wonder?

Well tecnically not perse, we can always agree or disagree.

What I would just like is to just give it some thought, consider what a busy city in a game means to the health of a community and the longterm effect these busy places have overall.

When I log into a new game, the first place I try to locate is always a busy city, a place to mingle, get in touch with people, learn a few tricks about the game. See a bit of humor.
 When I cant find a city or place such as that, record has shown, I dont actually hang around in those games for long.  

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,991
    Goldshire is only the "erp place" on Moonguard. It's pretty normal and underwhelming on every other server.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited January 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    Goldshire is only the "erp place" on Moonguard. It's pretty normal and underwhelming on every other server.
    That is because most MMO companies are too conservative, and are afraid they'll get sued if someone sees Erping happening somewhere. Blizzard instead decided to let Moonguard be the "erp place" or the "adult" club (though trolls go there often), because they don't want to discriminate against anyone like most companies do. 

No wonder why Blizzard is so successful. They accommodate all kinds of people, unlike most other MMOs.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    edited January 2017
    Forgrimm said:

Aye this is true. That is why other servers left over populations move to a RP server, despite its not their preferred  server type.
     The life of a living Goldshire, brings hope to a lot of people. People who thought WoW as dead, but realise it is not entirely yet.

So two things have to be in place for a village or city such as that to work. It needs to be RP and the village needs to be placed in an easy to go to location.

However I can imagine that the way Ironforge thrived in Vanilla, would be possible in all games.
    Regardless of server kind. But that is a maybe.

Because Goldshire is known to be an erp place, a lot of curious people go there to find that. Often they dont find that, but they find others like themselves, who went there out of curiosity as well. 

People who believe Goldshire is about erp are needed as well, they are not half as right as they think they are, but their influence, their vocal dismay about the place, makes others curious.

TENTING said:
    Forgrimm said:

Aye this is true. That is why other servers left over populations move to a RP server, despite its not their preferred  server type.
     The life of a living Goldshire, brings hope to a lot of people. People who thought WoW as dead, but realise it is not entirely yet.

So two things have to be in place for a village or city such as that to work. It needs to be RP and the village needs to be placed in an easy to go to location.

However I can imagine that the way Ironforge thrived in Vanilla, would be possible in all games.

Because Goldshire is known to be an erp place, a lot of curious people go there to find that. Often they dont find that, but they find others like themselves, who went there out of curiosity as well. 

People who believe Goldshire is about erp are needed as well, they are not half as right as they think they are, but their influence, their vocal dismay about the place, makes others curious.

It isn't just Goldshire though. Moon Guard is a high pop server, with a substantial faction imbalance that favors alliance side. Go to Stormwind and you'll generally see a large amount of people there as well.
    Forgrimm said:
    That is because most MMO companies are too conservative, and are afraid they'll get sued if someone sees Erping happening somewhere. Blizzard instead decided to let Moonguard be the "erp place" or the "adult" club (though trolls go there often), because they don't want to discriminate against anyone like most companies do. 

No wonder why Blizzard is so successful. They accommodate all kinds of people, unlike most other MMOs.
    That's not why they allow it to happen. They simply can't park a GM there 24/7 and monitor the activity. Though they have at times in the past https://www.engadget.com/2010/08/04/blizzard-to-patrol-moon-guards-goldshire-for-harassment-erotic/ it isn't feasible to do it all the time. Most of the cringey stuff is happening in whispers and people's RP profiles that require a specific add-on to even read.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Forgrimm said:
    TENTING said:
    Forgrimm said:

It isn't just Goldshire though. Moon Guard is a high pop server, with a substantial faction imbalance that favors alliance side. Go to Stormwind and you'll generally see a large amount of people there as well.
    yeah, there are people everywhere. Even in a far off "niche" cities (like Darnassus and Exodar). Most servers (even high pop servers of other types), both Darnassus and Exodar are as dead as a graveyard.

This is because RPers like to explore the world, and go all over with their own stories. Darnassus and Exodar being filled with people is something you don't find on even the most populated servers 

On the other end, Wyrmstooth Accord, Silvermoon Cityis also very popular. And every single other server its, again, as dead as a graveyard.

RP servers are the only REAL servers left for WoW. Every other server, everywhere is dead. But on Moonguard and Wyrmstooth Accord, the game is literally alive and filled with people, everywhere. Even far off zones are crowded

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Forgrimm said:
    TENTING said:
    Forgrimm said:

This is true as well and the balance is amazing to watch. In SW you have the crowd who hates on Goldshire, who will use /trade to chitchat, with the occasional guy filling the AH with feasts and another guy standing on top of the fountain in front of the bank.

Meanwhile everyone else goes to dance and show of their mog, dual, talk about everything imaginable and just RP in their own humorous way, in Goldshire.

One could say SW tries to stick with ingame lore RP, while Goldshire is for people who know how to RP, but not restricted to lore, purely just to have fun.
     Like the gnome beggars who pretend to be homeless, they are not serious, they are just little gits messing about. That is fun, imo anyway.

But I do enjoy watching both kinds of RP crowds, the ones who have fun just to hang out not in character, and those who have a serious character act going on, that they are very serious about in SW.

Together SW and Goldshire makes a perfect balance.  And the two cities being so close to each other, makes their funny brother rivalling the more succesfull.