A lot of topics seem to turn into death penalties. In the early mmos days, this was never thought out very deeply or they simply back fired as a bad idea for most.
Can everyone forget the past and offer their solution ?.......In my opinion, all mmos suck, everyone, all the way to 2017 !
Here is a few of my solutions:
First, " groups shouldn't suffer ". Time after time, you assemble a group, everyone is joking and having a good time. Everyone is doing a good job. Tanks are tanking, healers are healing, and fighters are waiting for there time to strike causing a lot of damage. Everything is going just fine, friends are being made............UNTIL SOMEONE DIES !.............. We all know it's down hill from here. Fighting breaks out, blaming takes place, leaving groups happens, Some games even have a kick feature !.......EVERYONE HATES WAITING FOR A PLAYER TO RETURN, AND THE PLAYER IS EMBARRASSED.
1) Have the individual players armor and weapons break rapidly !
All players have a separate bag just for replaceable armor and weapons. This idea has many benefits. It makes them pay for equipment during off times out of grouping, and increased the need for crafting !
2) Have a separate "injury meter".
Just like health, stamina, and mana bars, the player has "injury bar". This bar is sustaining and has to be dealt with at some point, but not during a group encounter.
- Maybe a hot key needs to be PRESSED OFTEN or fighting damage is weakened if not.
- Maybe the player simply needs to see a doctor when in town after the group and has to pay a hefty doctor bill, just hope they have good insurance
3) Group wipes - Remember Warlocks in World of Warcraft ?... They had " SoulStones ". They were to be given to the resurrection classes for instant resurrections. This was a good idea ! Make it EASY but everyone's armor is severely damaged or effects their injury bar.