Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did mmorpgs fail as a genre?

1234568»

Comments

• AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,180
    Burntvet said:
    Big producers gave up on AAA MMORPGs/MMos to make MOBAs and mobile games: lower investment (which was a problem for AAA MMORPGS) and better return. Game makers have shifted away from "big" to do small and multi-platform now. There is not nearly as much money going into the MMORPG industry, so the games are not getting made. That is the whole reason of why the MMORPG biz is in the toilet.
    That is because MOBAs, mobile games, action online games are where the gamers are now.

I am actually surprised that MMOs are not completely dead yet. I will just check back a few weeks from now and see whether that comes true. 
    MMOs aren't going anywhere. MMO's are popular and that popularity hasn't waned. People are just waiting for the genre to evolve. 
  • VardahothVardahoth Member RarePosts: 1,472
    Aori said:
    Burntvet said:
    Big producers gave up on AAA MMORPGs/MMos to make MOBAs and mobile games: lower investment (which was a problem for AAA MMORPGS) and better return. Game makers have shifted away from "big" to do small and multi-platform now. There is not nearly as much money going into the MMORPG industry, so the games are not getting made. That is the whole reason of why the MMORPG biz is in the toilet.
    That is because MOBAs, mobile games, action online games are where the gamers are now.

I am actually surprised that MMOs are not completely dead yet. I will just check back a few weeks from now and see whether that comes true. 
    MMOs aren't going anywhere. MMO's are popular and that popularity hasn't waned. People are just waiting for the genre to evolve. 
    MMOs have evolved like the burger I ate 3 hours ago evolved into what I just flushed down the toilet.

I Quit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436845/page/1 -> http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/436845/what-killed-mmorpgs-for-you/p1

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2316034
    Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW" (brought to you by pokeman).

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    When you log into something like a Minecraft server, you can see very well why MMORPGs failed.  We used to have that kind of gameplay in MMORPGs.  Indeed, the "world building" aspect of MMORPGs was the thing that made MMORPGs different than anything else.  Nobody had ever seen anything like this before, where a bunch of people could, literally, build their own collective reality.

There was a time, back in 2003, when this genre made a decision: continue with the word building, or redefine an MMO as an action/adventure, FPS hybrid that will attract action/adventure and FPS consumers.  It chose the latter, double downed on it for more than a decade, and are now fighting for relevance against things like PSN, mobile apps, and Xbox Live.

These games became all about combat and action.  What is missing is the creative aspect: the building, the roleplay, and the creation of societies, myths, anciliary community functions and so on.  And, without those things, the MMORPG really doesn't have anything to make it a better value, with better production values, than other single or multiplayer games that do the combat and action as well.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,430
    MMORPGs failed ?

What a weird claim.
    Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447
    MMORPGs failed ?

What a weird claim.
    Totally agree, very odd comment. Possibly they were bored and wanted an argument...
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Renoaku said:
    Its not really MMORPG's that failed its the developers who IMO their thinking has  grew smaller over the years and it became a thing about "Cash Shops" "Paying Real Money" to enjoy the damn game, and bad development decisions all around, even with games like World OF Warcraft which were once great, they get ruined by expansions that lack story line of interest, or Nerfs / Changes that effect the core game-play I personally loved the original WOW, but after Blizzard came out with BC then a bit later started making changes I started to quit I just didn't like the changes made not so much the races, but the nerfs heavily to classes, and talent remakes and all ruined the whole game experience from what it was too much for me to like the game...

I wouldn't consider SWTOR, or ESO a success either, ESO had those developers who I describe above the lack of innovation, thinking, etc, look at ESO today, we got cosmetics which are great to be sold in the store, but now ESO has stuck limited time items in the market, RNG Boxes, and even charges like I think it was $10 to re-customize a characters appearance things that (Should be free) with paid subscription and buying the customization styles / packs for additional DLC / money (Not the current cheap system they use now.

On top of this housing in both ESO, and FFXIV were never thought about really its dumb how it took over 2+ Years for ESO to even release housing, and now its likely going to be very limited at best with customization of what could be done with it still better than nothing but still should have been there within 6 months on release but they were still fixing bugs even after beta was over and the game was released.

FFXIV on the other hand does the same thing they make housing so not everyone can obtain it excluding apartments, but the lack of good developer decisions, ruined this game and the whole experience, same thing with Cosmetic items and glamour shards even those you spend your real money on called Optional Items...

SWTOR, has just never felt like a great game to me I've tried so many times, Limited time "Cartel Packs" Needs character model improvements, and doesn't feel like the old Knights of the old republic games I have played before for some reason it just doesn't feel as good as them...

The MMO Genere didn't fail, its the developers, and Management that fails. Many Many times over and over again.

If you go back to games like...

Final Fantasy XIV, where everyone got a single MOG House it was fair and fun.
    The 4th Coming, another fun game back in the day but private servers always shutting down and stuff.

Rune Scape, Original One

Planet Side 1, Vs Planet Side 2, I like Planet Side 1 better, its sad they closed this down for a game with Capture the objective its so frigging call of duty if I wanted to play this ID just go play COD.

Titan Fall 2, (A FAILURE !) omg why did humans become Robots, Nope im sorry im not buying this game.

Ever Quest, VS Ever Quest 2, The old days of EQ1, and Champions OF Norrath games compared to today...

MMO, is still great it just needs people who can do them right and design them properly, Cash shops are not the problem, Subscriptions are not a problem, its the RNG, massive Greed, and little content offered for those who do pay.

FFXIV being a great example you spend $15 a month just like everyone else I think it is, and you can't obtain player housing you want, while someone else who pays the same fee can...
    Good points; I'd blame the managers more than the developers; managers make bad decisions, don't listen to developers and often don't hire the right developers.

Also props to Planetside 1 and Everquest 1; both games I spent thousands of hours in; and the sequels of both just could not retain my interest past the first day.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,099
    I doubt the MMORPG will grow beyond the single player style games unless that is another run away hit of more MMORPG heavy features.  

The other way is to give players control of the genre with create-a-MMORPG and deep tool set to create custom MMORPG easily.  
  • GalerunnerGalerunner Member UncommonPosts: 13
    It didn't, publishers and developers failed to make actual games. They resorted to quick cashgrabs inside the genre, nothing more.
  • xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 114
    innovation stopped at some point. now it is back there again with all the crowd funding games and even more mainstream games like bdo and i am sure mmorpgs will be back with games that offer more varity opposed to the same wow clone we got the last decade :pleased:
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,568
    MMORPGs failed ?

What a weird claim.
    Totally agree, very odd comment. Possibly they were bored and wanted an argument...
    That's the case I'm assuming as well. I don't have any trouble finding extremely populated MMORPG's to play. My main game right now is FFXIV which has people everywhere all the time on the server I'm on. Same with when I play BDO, or when I play WoW. The genre didn't fail, the people just stuck with the games that they enjoyed or had the best content development. 

There will continue to be more MMORPG's developed, and they may or may not succeed, but the community will always be there and ready for when another really well made one comes out.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,512
    It didn't, publishers and developers failed to make actual games. They resorted to quick cashgrabs inside the genre, nothing more.

This 100%
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,827
    Name one mmorpg that doesn't have markers all over the world,maps npc's and then you know why the genre fails.These are non immersive game designs,just a pile of systems tossed together and the devs calls it a mmorpg just because it has a login screen and some levels and quests.

This design is EASIER for devs,a nice neat package,easy to design for,trigger this and trigger that,all a nice menu/data base system.However i don't understand all the hand holding,i have seen young kids figure out some really tough stuff,so we definitely don't need any hand holding.Hence why the phrase game on rails was started or connect the dots or as i like to call them,linear game play.

EVERY new game starts out interesting because it is new,we know nothing of the world.However in a very short time,we soon realize it is the same opld different skin and then it becomes extremely boring.

This is why i took notice when a dev tries to do something different,like COE and now Ashes,finally developers that can think for themselves without just copying everyone else.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Only cause of us. When people start complaining they don't have time to play games anymore and that mmos should fit how they play, devs will follow that trend if it means there business can run, that's when MMOs went sour. We are the ones who make the final decision if something stays or goes.

When players stop paying for that type of content, then that content will stop coming, but until then we're gonna continue to get it.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Herase said:
    Only cause of us. When people start complaining they don't have time to play games anymore and that mmos should fit how they play, devs will follow that trend if it means there business can run, that's when MMOs went sour. We are the ones who make the final decision if something stays or goes.

When players stop paying for that type of content, then that content will stop coming, but until then we're gonna continue to get it.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, people tend to be very unspecific about what failing actually is. Additionally, a lot of games people view as "quick" cash grabs ran for multiple years. Also, there's really no definition from @Galerunner as to what constitutes a cash grab. What exactly is the argument here? Do we want to talk about cash grabs? Would you pay $180 to play an MMO that's horrible?  Guess what? That's more than most people pay, yet I've done it for the past decade with various games that I pay monthly for. There are many F2P games where I don't spend half that over my entire playtime. So what's a cash grab? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,035
    MMORPGs failed ?

What a weird claim.
    Comedies didn't make as much as super hero movies. I guess comedies failed as movies.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,980
    The snowflake generation. Seriously. Developers today will even reward death. The MOBA genre has wrecked us as well.

There will be something deep sooner or later.