Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptops---Which would you choose

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    filmoret said:
    Gdemami said:
    filmoret said:
    SSD for word processing and internet surfing.  You guys are overkill.  Lets get a Corvette to mow the grass.
    You have no clue what you talk about.

I would say it was the terrible 5400 disks in laptops that actually started the 'SSD craze' because that thing is plain awful to work with.
    I'm using 3 laptops right now.  2 of them are 5400 rpm and this one is 7200 hdd's.  Oh man my web browsing experience is just so horrendous.  I should immediately go out and buy a ssd.  Oh way i been doing this for years and yes it probably would make a difference but somehow I have had no urge to buy one even in my newly build gaming pc.  It is not as important as some of you are making it.  Otherwise I would have already gotten a bunch of them.
    You have become so accustomed to having a horrible web browsing experience that you don't realize that it could be otherwise.  Just like you've probably also got some awful TN monitor that looks mediocre if you look at it from the right angle and awful from any other and don't realize that it doesn't have to be that way, either.  Just like people used to simply accept that if you were using Windows, having a computer crash on you once per day was normal.  But go ahead and keep using the storage equivalent of Windows ME while the rest of the world moves on to something that actually works right.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited January 2017
    Honestly, debating SSD or HDD is pointless to this discussion since the lowest priced new laptops will have an SSD or equivalent. They use a small SSD like 32GB and store the data on the cloud rather than on the machine.
    If you are in the $500 range, its not like you are going to magically get a better laptop by putting an HDD in. The cost difference between SSD and HDD is about $40. So to me it's really debating do you want to have an SSD or sacrifice performance at a similar price to plop an HDD in.
    The ASUS models are clearly the better picks out of those 5 models. Faster boot, able to play videos decently, displays the image better, and larger allowing for a less compact keyboard.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Gdemami said:
    filmoret said:
    SSD for word processing and internet surfing.  You guys are overkill.  Lets get a Corvette to mow the grass.

I would say it was the terrible 5400 disks in laptops that actually started the 'SSD craze' because that thing is plain awful to work with.
    I'm using 3 laptops right now.  2 of them are 5400 rpm and this one is 7200 hdd's.  Oh man my web browsing experience is just so horrendous.  I should immediately go out and buy a ssd.  Oh way i been doing this for years and yes it probably would make a difference but somehow I have had no urge to buy one even in my newly build gaming pc.  It is not as important as some of you are making it.  Otherwise I would have already gotten a bunch of them.
    You have become so accustomed to having a horrible web browsing experience that you don't realize that it could be otherwise.  Just like you've probably also got some awful TN monitor that looks mediocre if you look at it from the right angle and awful from any other and don't realize that it doesn't have to be that way, either.  Just like people used to simply accept that if you were using Windows, having a computer crash on you once per day was normal.  But go ahead and keep using the storage equivalent of Windows ME while the rest of the world moves on to something that actually works right.
    Ok I click on mmorpg.com and it takes like 1 second to fully load.  Click on netflix and 1-2 seconds fully loaded.  So the most I can be missing out web browsing is 1-2 seconds per page load.  Really not that big a deal for a normal computer user.  You just cannot justify getting a ssd for web browsing in a laptop its overkill.    Battery life is more of a good reason.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Gdemami said:
    filmoret said:

Ok I click on mmorpg.com and it takes like 1 second to fully load.  Click on netflix and 1-2 seconds fully loaded.  So the most I can be missing out web browsing is 1-2 seconds per page load.  Really not that big a deal for a normal computer user.  You just cannot justify getting a ssd for web browsing in a laptop its overkill.    Battery life is more of a good reason.
    I like for computers to do what I tell them when I tell them to do it, not merely to get around to it eventually.  If you're fine with the latter, then have fun with your hard drive.
    Aori said:
    The miracle magic I perform on peoples older slow and slugish laptops is adding cheap SSDs, their eyes gleam with joy when they can get to the desktop and open IE8 in under 10 minutes. 
    Giving them a better browser would help, too.  Such as just about any modern browser, including the latest version of IE.
    Aori said:
    Quizzical said:
    Aori said:
    The miracle magic I perform on peoples older slow and slugish laptops is adding cheap SSDs, their eyes gleam with joy when they can get to the desktop and open IE8 in under 10 minutes. 
    Giving them a better browser would help, too.  Such as just about any modern browser, including the latest version of IE.
    A tiny bit of sarcasm there, though no matter how I try, older people can't help but gravitate back to IE. The few folks who's PC/laptops I work on all have SSDs now or are units I built. Chrome is available as well but most won't use it and I install eset smart security at their expense of course. It more or less has ensured I only see them once a year to "renew" the subscription. It used to be something was wrong every couple months.
    Even if they want to insist on IE, why IE8, not IE11?  IE8 was far, far behind other contemporary browsers in just about any performance metric you can find, but IE11 wasn't.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Quizzical said:
    Aori said:
    Quizzical said:
    Aori said:
    A tiny bit of sarcasm there, though no matter how I try, older people can't help but gravitate back to IE. The few folks who's PC/laptops I work on all have SSDs now or are units I built. Chrome is available as well but most won't use it and I install eset smart security at their expense of course. It more or less has ensured I only see them once a year to "renew" the subscription. It used to be something was wrong every couple months.
    Even if they want to insist on IE, why IE8, not IE11?  IE8 was far, far behind other contemporary browsers in just about any performance metric you can find, but IE11 wasn't.
    What he's saying is they just look for the big blue E without knowing or caring what version is behind it.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    We went to two local stores and I think we she likes the ASUS enough that we will get the 2nd one from Amazon.  She liked the 1400 dollar HP laptops the most, but I that seems like overkill for what she needs. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

If you are moving into 1400 you should be looking at the Microsoft Surface.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2017
    Quizzical said:
    Aori said:
    Quizzical said:
    Aori said:
    You obviously haven't tried to assist a senior citizen with their computer lately. You can't change ~anything~ or the world ends.

I had to deal with AOL dialup the other day.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    edited January 2017
    Ridelynn said:
    You obviously haven't tried to assist a senior citizen with their computer lately. You can't change ~anything~ or the world ends.

I had to deal with AOL dialup the other day.
    This.

Though, to my surprise, my grandfather upgraded to Windows 10 when he got the popup  it was a free upgrade and he is pretty happy with it.

As far as the laptop SSD discussion goes, laptops should turn on quickly and silently. SSDs allow laptops to turn on quickly and silently. Therefore, you should put SSDs in laptops.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• heliothhelioth Member UncommonPosts: 53
    no bloatware = get a laptop with dos and install win 7 or whatever your choice of OS is yourself :)

As for the two laptops you linked, if you add 100-200€ you can get something with a dedicated gfx card, or just a bigger ssd, there's been some intelligent replies in this thread so far.
    helioth said:
    no bloatware = get a laptop with dos and install win 7 or whatever your choice of OS is yourself :)

As for the two laptops you linked, if you add 100-200€ you can get something with a dedicated gfx card, or just a bigger ssd, there's been some intelligent replies in this thread so far.
    Actually you can just do a clean intall from windows 10 and you got rid of bloatware for the most part.  Then disable a few settings and you are good to go.
    filmoret said:
    helioth said:

Actually you can just do a clean intall from windows 10 and you got rid of bloatware for the most part.  Then disable a few settings and you are good to go.
    I have not bought a laptop in over a decade, but I am pretty sure you will have to download and make your own ISO because the recovery they give you has all of the b loatware on it. Not hard, I just wish they would give you the clean install out of the box.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I would run as fast as you can from Asus, their laptops are horrible as far as lifespan goes. If you do get one make sure to get some kind of extended warranty. I bought myself and my wife RoG models and both of them died within 18 months. I replaced the motherboard in one, gpu in another, then other crap started going bad in each. Terrible quality.

I now have went with Dell and their gaming laptops are just awesome. Not talking alienware here, I am talking the ones with the Dell logo advertised for gaming. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    MMOman101 said:
    filmoret said:
    helioth said:

I have not bought a laptop in over a decade, but I am pretty sure you will have to download and make your own ISO because the recovery they give you has all of the b loatware on it. Not hard, I just wish they would give you the clean install out of the box.
    You just download windows 10 from microsoft and do it for a usb device.  Then you boot it and will automatically pull the key from the existing windows 10 version.  Viola you can now do a clean install.
    DMKano said:
    Whenever anyone asks for what laptop to choose - the only right answer is dont - spend the money on a PC instead.

If you need portability, make sure the PC case has handles ;)

Otherwise get a tablet or surface pro - if the actual use is "sitting on a couch and browsing the web"

You do realize that not all use cases make sense for that.  Some people may have a life that is vastly different than yours and your advice is incredibly terrible.  I would never ever tell some one that.  Mostly, because it is extremely arrogant to think that you somehow know what they need to fill their activities better than them.  A desktop with a  handle is a terrible solution for many people.  Just awful. 

--John Ruskin

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    MMOman101 said:
    DMKano said:
    Whenever anyone asks for what laptop to choose - the only right answer is dont - spend the money on a PC instead.

Otherwise get a tablet or surface pro - if the actual use is "sitting on a couch and browsing the web"

You do realize that not all use cases make sense for that.  Some people may have a life that is vastly different than yours and your advice is incredibly terrible.  I would never ever tell some one that.  Mostly, because it is extremely arrogant to think that you somehow know what they need to fill their activities better than them.  A desktop with a  handle is a terrible solution for many people.  Just awful. 
    I am not sure if he was 100% serious about that PC with handles....

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

MMOman101 said:
    DMKano said:

I am not sure if he was 100% serious about that PC with handles....
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163287
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4CP1GF8758
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119316

They exist, but I'm not vouching for the usefulness of the handles.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I personally like Asus - their cooling system is great and it keeps the laptop quiet. The downside is they are too heavy for some people, I didn't care that it was 13 pounds, but hey that might turn you away
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    We have a case with handles at work, for PLC programming at various sites. I got fed up with USB->Serial converters being inconsistent, so I put in a PCI serial card. We zip tied all the monitor/KB/M cables together into a bundle so it sets up pretty easily. Actually works out well.

Now, you can't play it on the couch or anything, but for taking to a site and setting up on a fold-out table, it works great.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Just want to hijack this thread for a second.

Been looking for laptop for my parents. Most are either 4gb with an SSD or 8gb with a HDD. Which one would you recommend for surfing/streaming?

I know SSD are a lot better but it's been so long since I've only had 4gb I don't know how satisfactory having that amount is today.

edited January 2017
    I would go 4GB with SSD. 8GB is only necessary if you are doing more demanding tasks like gaming or 3D rendering. Chances are the ssd in a lower quality laptop will be slow(90 - 200 MB/s) but the hdd will be even slower(50 MB/s)