Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gameplay Exclusive (Part 1 of 2) - Dark and Light Videos - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

WellzyC said:

Problem I see..

in order to capture very powerful creatures you need a team. Unless you have friends starting with you, a low pop of 60 players will make it impossible to try and team up with people to accomplish this.

If people are coming and going it will feel pretty empty and hard to get anything meaningful accomplished.

As much as I was looking forward to this a few months ago, the latest info has really turned me off. Think i'll skip.

Only if that specific server is "low pop".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

bcbully said:

Galadourn said:

60 ppl servers? Why is this in MMORPG?

Could of swore Bill said this would be a true mmorpg.

Yep, this game just went to zero on my give a crap meter.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Sovrath said:

WellzyC said:

Problem I see..

in order to capture very powerful creatures you need a team. Unless you have friends starting with you, a low pop of 60 players will make it impossible to try and team up with people to accomplish this.

If people are coming and going it will feel pretty empty and hard to get anything meaningful accomplished.

As much as I was looking forward to this a few months ago, the latest info has really turned me off. Think i'll skip.

Only if that specific server is "low pop".

There is no way to know.  Server pops fluctuate all the time, and they stated your character is stuck on whichever server you choose. 

So if you f- up and make a toon on a dead server, good luck getting anything done.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Talonsin said:
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:
    I got to say even though I normally hate survival games the fact that this one is all about spells and has towns with NPCs, quests, etc., is beginning to make me pay attention to it.
    Doesn't the small server cap bother you?
    For me it's kinda game breaking.

I was actually quite interested in it, but 60 or even 100 players it's not good enough.
    If it was 1000 I could think about it but right now DnL is off my list.

Small population kills longevity for me, as after about 2 weeks 50-100 players gets boring.

Also the fact that survival games have rampant cheating, one single cheater on a server of 50-100 people is pretty game breaking.

No thanks.
    Add the fact that guilds can dominate a server and kill it off, then move to another server to start work on killing that one off too.  Lots of public servers for Ark have died due to roving guilds just looking to grief and dominate.
    That's a good point. wow, it's amazing how some players are just trash and can really kill a game.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I'm still going to play it, and see if it's good. I wish for the 1000 players they originally aimed for, but if the game's good 60-100 is fine too. Maybe we should start calling these games "Mini-MMOs". MMMO. :P

Or how about they just keep the same name they have always had... MORPG / MOG or Multiplayer Online RPG / Multiplayer Online Game etc.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    vendeth said:
    This one peeks my interest again. I love the magic system, the monsters you can tame and such well done things. Still sad about the low player population for the (local) server and the huge world compared to that low populated server...
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

DMKano said:
    Sovrath said:
    Talonsin said:
    DMKano said:
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:
    I got to say even though I normally hate survival games the fact that this one is all about spells and has towns with NPCs, quests, etc., is beginning to make me pay attention to it.

I was actually quite interested in it, but 60 or even 100 players it's not good enough.

Small population kills longevity for me, as after about 2 weeks 50-100 players gets boring.

Also the fact that survival games have rampant cheating, one single cheater on a server of 50-100 people is pretty game breaking.

No thanks.
    Add the fact that guilds can dominate a server and kill it off, then move to another server to start work on killing that one off too.  Lots of public servers for Ark have died due to roving guilds just looking to grief and dominate.
    That's a good point. wow, it's amazing how some players are just trash and can really kill a game.

Its not really players though - why is it a well organized guilda fault that they dominate?

Thats what top PvP guilds do, they dominate.

Its pretty boring to be on the faceroll side too, when my guild in AoC totally dominated the entire server I quit because there was no challenge left.

But dont blame the guilds, what else are they gonna do? Lose on purpose?
    That's a good point but I would say that they should get in touch with other "power guilds" and plan to play on the same servers.

While it's ok to say that highly achieving guilds should enjoy the spoils of war the truth is closer to the fact that they just mow down everything in their path until they are bored and leave.

If they really want a good fight then they should make efforts to insure they have good fights.

That's what role players do, they reach out as a community and determine where they should reside so they get the best possible experience.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited January 2017
    Torval said:
    I'm still going to play it, and see if it's good. I wish for the 1000 players they originally aimed for, but if the game's good 60-100 is fine too. Maybe we should start calling these games "Mini-MMOs". MMMO. :P
    I call them mmo-lites. D3, survival games, lobby style mmos (like Guild Wars), and anything else that's not full on mmo "meet anyone in the persistent world you want" type of game.

This game has deep problems written all over it.

Right now they have a player cap of 100 per server but have super cool rare mobs that roam the world that only really large groups can take down. Hello, what in the hell are they thinking?

I don't think they have a solid design plan or their lead is very inexperienced because it looks like they're adding checkbox features, but not thinking about interoperability and scale. You can clearly see the difference in how Funcom talks about their Conan game. They describe how the systems they've presented work together and, to an extent, how they can work with different social structures and group sizes.

So far I see a pretty shallow game and I'm not knocking it for alpha systems and graphics being rough. I'm talking about design decisions that we know so far. Races are fluff. It's a solo or small player game with big MMO ideas about mobs and raiding them. They're designing systems for an mmo with small coop player server size. I just don't get the message that they've thought through this very well.
    This whole game doesn't make any sense. It looks like an MMO, might even play like an MMO, but has the server restrictions of a shitty survival game (because we need more of those like a hole in the head). 

Also they are suppose to have 3 factions. Like how are you suppose to do factions when the player cap is so low. 

The more and more I read about this game, I get the feeling "We got the ip, I wonder what we can do with it" side projects that they put their bum developers on when everyone else is working on age of wushu 2.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    First we should just start calling these games Multiplayer Online Games because they are not MMOs.

Second Yes the Server Caps is what will kill games like DnL and Ark because you cannot have communities with 60 to 100 people. There is 0 reason why you cannot have 1000 people playing on the same server today even in a survival MO. Now if Server Caps are 60 to 100 for Alpha, then 500 for Beta 1 and so on cool no problem that's understandable. But they do not have a road map to make this game more than a Minecraft with more people on it.

Third. I think I am going to play this since I can host my own server. I like Minecraft survival but without the PVP and with my small group of friends. My Problem is a world only last about 3 weeks to our group because well there is no depth to the game. No magic, no in-depth crafting, no real tough monsters, overall the depth is just not there. BUT DnL has some of this depth that we could run our own worlds and play a few hours a week setup on a PVE server and have fun with longevity because the 3 to 8 hours a week of minecraft we play now we are bored with in 24 to 30 hours. If it takes several hundred hours to master everything At least we have more than YAY we reached the end and opened the chest in the end.

As an MO where people play on Official servers I think this game will not have much longevity because server caps less than 1000 is a waste of anyones time. If they are worried that someone who break into someones house then just make it that without 10 or so people its impossible or other mechanics to deal with this.

However for people who play Minecraft with 10 or so friends this looks like a more in-depth replacement.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Snail game does not have a good track record with their mmo's Anyone remember how they just abandoned Black Gold.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited January 2017
    DMKano said:

DMKano said:

ste2000 said:

Iselin said:

No thanks.

I don't agree, I think it's gives a chance for everyone to get to know different players, build a community. 

I talking from a PVE angle, I think it will be the PVP'ers that will suffer from what you mention. After all all its going to get pretty boring killing the same players over and over again. 

The PVE community on the PVE servers will really experience an bigger world feel. Them against the world and elements, guilds teaming up to help each other rather than kill each other lol. 

Having a total PVE server is a great move same goes for Conan Exiles. 

Cant really have a community with 50 player cap, not longterm.

Because chances are not all 50 will be logged in at the same time, and then not everyone will play every night, and also things come up so people have to travel etc...

What happens over time less and less of those 50 people are on so you realize that there are 6 people on after a couple of months, not much of a community.

IMO you need 1000s of players to maintain any kind of lasting community
    It wouldn't be a 50 player cap total, I think it would mean only 50 could be online at a time, or 100 or whatever the cap is. So you could have a lot more players with characters on that particular server, they'd just be limited in who could log in at once.

That being said, I'm definitely hoping for something more like 1000. I'm only sort of interested in this game and I can't quite figure out why. It's a bit different for me so part of me just wants to give it a try at least. The fact that it has fantasy and magic is part of the draw, too. So we'll see how it looks in a few months, but I'm not expecting much. Would be nice to be pleasantly surprised.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I dont have any real expectations since its Snail, but I do want something where I can eventually learn everything. So it'll be a casual experience at best.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited January 2017
    What I got from this is medieval/fantasy multiplayer survival sandbox game (MSSG), not an MMORPG.

It's just a reskinned version of ARK. Not that that is a bad thing, if you into those kinds of games
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

From an PvE perspective 60-100 players doesn't bother me because the game meta and options are different than a typical MMORPG. There are a few reasons:

• It has a story and if you're the hero, better to be 60-100 than a 1000+. This has been a complaint by some.
    • Since resource gathering and rare gathering are a major part of the game less people means the landscape won't be cleaned bare all the time.
    • Since there is open world housing and the structures didn't look small it makes sense to have less of a population unless you want the world to look like a downtown city.

I hope they are able to expand to maybe 500 tops but more than that just wouldn't make sense for the type of game it is. I think it would lose its immersiveness.

I would say though that with the less population the need for a lively world is a dire requirement. I liked the swaying of the foliage but it would be nice to also see some critters running around and more environmental noises. Also, and more importantly, the towns/cities need to be more lively, akin to BDO. If the world is going to be less populated by real people it needs to emphasize the fake ones. Maybe a large amount of wandering characters throughout the world ;)

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    So it looks like they took the pieces of what was going to be MMORPG and just made it into a survival game because it takes much less development. It's more like ARK or H1Z1. Doubt this will be any more than the flavor of the week but it gives them a chance to make some money off of it. I'll pass because I'm sure it won't get a whole lot of development in the future once the initial hype dies off.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Looks way worse then I was hoping
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I don't mind the player count as that can be increased later on if they wanted. I also see this as a chance for a good community to form on a server .. the best game communities I have experienced have come from smaller player count games like Kingdom of Drakkar or Legends of Kesmai etc.

Looking forward to it!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited January 2017
    I think the smaller player count works just fine for games like this, game-play and world interaction is what matters. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    60-100 per server?!?! I was under the impression they were aiming for 1,000 and even then I was hoping it would get increased eventually. All the potential for a decent large-scale rvr survival rpg non-mmo thingy, yet with that server capacity nothing more than small scale skirmishing will be possible.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Funny how they call games like this Sandbox MMORPG. If a server can only hold 64 - 128 players, it is not an MMORPG...won't be playing another survival game.
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I enjoy diversity in mmo's .. i wish them good luck whit the game , will most likely play it on release or maybe a key.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Maybe we should start calling these games "Mini-MMOs". MMMO. :P
    @BillMurphy - I actually think a lower-case "M" would be a nice fit over an extra one.

= mMO
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I call them as i see them,and mini mmo's does not come to mind.
    There is no way this is a passionate game design,this is a cash grab,another in the very long line of easy to make survival games.
    I know everyone does not have the same or expect the same high standards but to me this is just very ho hum.

Player creation is "super FUN" seriously?This is only cosmetic and characterization is a big part of a game to me and visual is the least of my concern because we all know we get covered up with gear.Sp the team literally put no effort into characterization.

It also seems quite apparent there is no races ..yet ,this game really looks like very few people are working on it and very little work has been done so far.What the heck happened to the original DnL game that was released?

"Apparently"" keyword,sounds like lots of maybe could be should be but not yet .Doors,i did not see a normal WORKING door,i saw a static door.
    They also managed to completely ruin all immersion,everything is hand holding even the crafting tells you what you need instead of discovery.

This reminds me exactly of H1Z1 only does not even have a game mod "deathmatch"just two servers,build a wood hut or go play pvp,neither one looks exciting.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.