Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice Awards - The Best MMO of 2016 a Awards at MMORPG.com

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited January 2017
    Also there's a little typo in the article title. You have an extra "a" in there after 2016:

The Best MMO of 2016 a Awards at MMORPG.com

• bsukalabsukala Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I voted for FFXIV content updates. The content cycle keeps me engaged in the game.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    On a more serious note, you know just in case you don't let me vote for Vanilla WoW...

I would have to admit to putting the most hours into Planetside 2 clocking in at over a thousand on steam. The thing is I'll never give Daybreak another dime after EQNext/Landmark and play the game but have no intention of supporting the company. I bought into a $60 dollar landmark pack and even got the Planetside 2 alpha pack for $40 bucks plus subscribed to all access for 3 months.

After what they did they can keep my money but I have no customer goodwill or faith or confidence in this company.

I do want to give an honorable mention to Planetside 2 tho, because like I said put the most hours into it, Guilty pleasure.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    If I cast a vote it would be "None of the Above" (Think Brewster's Millions). This year I've only played Wildstar (lapsed) and SW:TOR (current).

As much as I'd love to select Other: Wildstar I cannot. What ultimately burnt me out on the game was that Carbine continually invalidates older content. Arcterra was loads of fun until a subsequent patch made the gear you could earn from it not worth the bother.

TOR's New Gearing Experience is a disaster and has caused enough of a player revolt that the studio felt the need to hold two or three emergency livestreams to quell the riots. Unfortunately they either don't grasp the extent of the damage they've done or have marching orders to ignore it. Tomorrow's patch (5.1) is trying to use a soggy band-aid on a severed artery.

I have little interest in going back to the fantasy genre. EVE is on my 'round tuit list. Probably give that a shot if and when TOR craters or I get sick of it again.
  • kosh117kosh117 Member CommonPosts: 1
    I personally have a hard time considering SWTOR a MMO anymore. They really haven't released any solid MMO content in 2 years. As someone who has been with that game since launch, I simply can't call it a MMO anymore. It is now a single player online RPG.

I also wonder, how many of these are going to benefit and suffer from name recognition. For example, Legion was really well done but I've met so many people who have a problem with WoW because it is WoW.

I wish polls like this would strip the names and list the content. For example: This game released 3 instances of 8 man group content, 12 instances 5 man group content, player housing. While this game released story chapters, 3 instances of 4 man group content, etc..

So much of having a successful MMO is about having proper content for the intended audience. Games like ESO, FF, and yes WoW have done this. I personally am not as familiar with the others with the exception of SWTOR, which fails on both fronts.
  • TeiQTeiQ Member UncommonPosts: 3
    ESO hands down, bought it a while ago on PS4 and im loving it more than ever. Perfect game for a explorer like me (:
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    yup- ESO deserves it- they delivered in 2016.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Iselin said:
    ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Not going to lie, some good choices on the list, will have to ponder for a bit.
    Quick translation for the casual members of this site......he means  EVE :p

I might be mistaken but I thought that cumulative EVE annoyances finally caused him to stop his subs.
    You are correct, while alpha clones are a good idea there were other significant game play changes which convinced me to stop completely.

So I can hardly vote for a game I feel went in the wrong direction.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Voted for ESO, but have not played it in a while.  Currently back fooling around with Lotro.  And Eve is off my radar due to their current direction, I have not played since summer.  Their so called f2p move is a complete joke.  There is no fun playing a perpetual three week old character.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited January 2017
    EDIT: lol meh

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    I've tried most of these games for many hours, GW2 holds my interest the most. Esp since I play all content, and don't restrict myself to one game mode.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Final Fantasy XIV. Great story, good new dungeons and some great new raids, good new side content, some long awaited changes / updates, and a number of nice surprises thrown in along the way, but prehaps the the best praise I can give is that it kept me playing all year, which, short of Vanilla WoW, is something no other MMO has been able to do. Can't wait for Stormblood.
  • FrigidaFrigida Member UncommonPosts: 1
    ESO feels like a breath of fresh air in a world of MMOs that are just deteriorating in the name of progress.
  • lukezlukez Member UncommonPosts: 27
    EQ2 after 13 years still better than all the short lived crap they throw out these days
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Looks like I will have to dust of my copy of ESO and reinstall it in the near future.  ESO is getting at lot of love on these boards.  Time to see what changes have been made since the last time I played it.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    ESO by virtue of what they have been doing and not giving a shit about any of the competition. Their all money hungry, but at least with eso you get something for your money. Game has come a loooonnnngggggggggg way since launch.
  • Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    SWTOR = LMFAO!

I voted ESO, but LOTRO is really making some nice changes for a game that is ancient in MMO years.
  • pyroburnpyroburn Member UncommonPosts: 5

Grakulen said:

pyroburn said:

So how much did you get paid to feature these games... The list seems light on actual, you know, good games... SWTOR? Seriously? Blade and Soul? AC is dead in the water....

Please list some good alternatives? We can't just make up games out of thin air.

Fine... LOTRO as mentioned... EQ, EQ2, STO... Hell even the changes to Skyforge were pretty decent...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • tristanfeytristanfey Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited January 2017
    I voted ESO as well. Been playing since March and it was a solid game at that point. With the revamp of end game leveling and the release of One Tamriel it has gotten even better.

All content available for F2P players, nice benefits for subscribers and being able to explore any zone regardless of level just elevates this game above the others on this list. I do wanna say my second choice would have been Rift. The game is solid with a helpful playerbase/community and developers that are active with their players. It's quite fun and their soul system works remarkably well in customizing your character and its playstyle. Add to that you can create multiple builds and switch between them on the fly (great for group content if one of your Trinity goes down). The only reason I'm not currently playing this is because of ESO.
  • meddlingmagemeddlingmage Member CommonPosts: 7
    Strange list
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Grakulen said:

pyroburn said:

So how much did you get paid to feature these games... The list seems light on actual, you know, good games... SWTOR? Seriously? Blade and Soul? AC is dead in the water....

Please list some good alternatives? We can't just make up games out of thin air.

While I understand that, I do notice that from the list of the top pages list of the most popular games for the last year not all the top 10 titles are listed, so that does seem like a bit of an oversight.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    And the winners of MMOs for 2016 are: MMOs not made in 2016...lets get some better games folks so we dont have to keep going back to games that are a few years old now.
  • LordNomadLordNomad Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Riders Of Icarus
  • NightrunnerChaarNightrunnerChaar Member CommonPosts: 1
    Sorry, but the only "award" SWTOR deserves is "How to trash a multimillion dollar IP as asininly as you possibly can."

Bioware has made it blatantly obvious that they are out of touch with their players, and the only thing that matters is how -they- think the game should be played, no matter how much people say they don't like things they do. Which sadly isn't very fun. But Bioware things like gearing RnG is "exciting" and "thrilling".

They also think 5 plus year old bugs are things to be ignored. Things like male characters wearing bras. (Vector Hylus & Lord Scourge) Ok if your part of the Rocky Horror Picture show, not so much for inspiring awe in players.

They do deserve a Razzie Award for excelling at lying to their customers repeatedly though.