Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - What’s Coming in 2017?

BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited January 2017

On-Topic: A lot of "If's" and "hopefully"s there in just the few times I skipped through. Looks good though. We will see.

EDIT: The speeder part at 3:00 in looked awesome! Kinda a SW vibe there. The 6 wheeled vehicle from a minute or so eariler gave a Mako vibe too.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    More ship sales
    More empty promises
    More missed deadlines
    /end thread
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    I don't go much long-term on things to expect, more focused on the next updates.

So that makes it 3.0 for me.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    MaxBacon said:

That makes it so 3.0 for me
    2016 called, it want's it's update back.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

MaxBacon said:
    I don't go much long-term on things to expect, more focused on the next updates.

That makes it so 3.0 for me, the PU needs better performance
    I agree.

Just a thought: I sometimes feel that videos like the above one can do more harm than good. We are no where near 3.0 but they insist on hyping it. As I said earlier, their are a whole bunch of "if's" and "hopefully"s in there. Why stoke the fires? Just STFU about 3.0 until it's at least in pre-alpha or whatever CIG calls their internal testing.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    bartoni33 said:
    MaxBacon said:

I agree.

Just a thought: I sometimes feel that videos like the above one can do more harm than good. We are no where near 3.0 but they insist on hyping it. As I said earlier, their are a whole bunch of "if's" and "hopefully"s in there. Why stoke the fires? Just STFU about 3.0 until it's at least in pre-alpha or whatever CIG calls their internal testing.
    Nobody forces you to watch said videos or follow Star Citizen game development, if you can't handle the game development issues maybe dont focus on it and wait until its released.
    Babuinix said:
    bartoni33 said:
    MaxBacon said:

I agree.

Nobody forces you to watch said videos or follow Star Citizen game development, if you can't handle the game development issues maybe dont focus on it and wait until its released.
    First, I'm on your side. I'm actually a backer unlike most here. So lighten up Francis.

Second, no one forces anyone to do anything on the Internet, but shit still happens. So why stir up the shit for no good reason? It just seems a waste of time to promote a future build that admittedly may or may not contain what they are hyping.

Just my 2p, that's all. Chill out. Don't be so defensive.

edited January 2017
    bartoni33 said:
    Just a thought: I sometimes feel that videos like the above one can do more harm than good. We are no where near 3.0 but they insist on hyping it.
    Hype will be hype, as any un-released and even released game has. It's just good to hype and have expectations in place for something that is unlikely to happen soon.

So it's good to see that the community overall is well aware that this stuff will take its time as we can still hype for one update that is a big finally we've been waiting for this long.

What I do is simply... I don't obsess with dates, like, follow the progress, play through the released progress if you want and we have many things we can do until 3.0 is finally here!
    MaxBacon said:
    bartoni33 said:
    I agree.

Hype will be hype, as any un-released and even released game has. It's just good to hype and have expectations in place for something that is unlikely to happen soon.

So it's good to see that the community overall is well aware that this stuff will take its time as we can still hype for one update that is a big finally we've been waiting for this long. What I do is simply... do not obsess with dates, follow the progress, play through the released progress if you want and we have many things we can do until 3.0 is finally here.
    I see your point.

I guess I'm looking at it from the other end of the spectrum. Ya know, the haters side. I can't help it. I know my lack of faith is disturbing to both you and our Bunny friend. But it's real. Every year that development has been stymied by poor planning and whatever excuses, valid or otherwise, CR/CIG have come up with leaves me with a bigger and bigger pit of doubt about the future of SC. By nature I'm a glass-half-empty guy.

But I'm trying to be positive. Really! =)

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    bartoni33 said:. I know my lack of faith is disturbing to both you and our Bunny friend. 
    I do not care ;-)

As you were ...

Have fun

PS: I am the "this glass needs to be better designed .... half the size" guy 
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    bartoni33 said:

https68mediatumblrcom54b9ab80fb4ae1a123dabfd16d5d7274tumblr_inline_n5nyx4X0nN1qcyau9gif

Erillion said:
    bartoni33 said:. I know my lack of faith is disturbing to both you and our Bunny friend. 
    I do not care ;-)

As you were ...

Have fun

Ouch! You hurt my last feeling damn it! :(

Also, is their any way you and CR could change jobs? I like your "redesign the glass" outlook.

bartoni33 said:

Just a thought: I sometimes feel that videos like the above one can do more harm than good.
    Its a fan made video. So ... should the guy be shot for "harming the game" ?  I do not think so.

Have fun
    edited January 2017
    Erillion said:
    bartoni33 said:

Just a thought: I sometimes feel that videos like the above one can do more harm than good.
    Its a fan made video. So ... should the guy be shot for "harming the game" ?  I do not think so.

Have fun
    It is? I swear I saw a ATV logo in it.

If that's true then never mind. Everything is fine. No need to panic and all that. All is well.

EDIT: FFS dude I didn't say anyone should be shot. Just... forget it, I've been warned recently so I'll just shut up. Enjoy your echo chamber.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    In 2017 we'll have more awesome Star Citizen videos.

• ChristopherVoidChristopherVoid Member UncommonPosts: 4
    So I've been wondering do you guys have a youtuber you watch for star citizen updates? i often watch boredgamer's videos on star citizen i find them to be generally well informed and helpful.
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited January 2017
    I don't get this versioning though. 1.0 is usually the first release of a software that is considered complete in terms of major features. SC's versioning is very misleading because these 2.6.1 and 3.0 numbers suggest that the game's been past of its official release. It's just odd. Does anyone know the reasoning behind these version numbers?

The official store literally invites me to join Squadron 42. Can I play Squadron 42 right now? I'm asking this because the store page starts with suggesting that it's a currently playable game even though that below the "Add to cart" button there is a notice that tells me that the game is in alpha and it's constantly being expanded. So why should I care it's being expanded when I'm not allowed to see it? And a few lines below another notice telling me that the game will be available for download on release but there is something called "The Arena Commander dogfighting module" that is available right now in Star Citizen if I buy a SQ42 standalone package. Just to make the whole thing even more confusing... Is it Star Citizen the universe they're talking about or Star Citizen the game? Everything is just so confusing for a newcomer.

Okay I already know from alternative sources that instead of the originally planned one there are 2 games under development with no official release dates on any of them so considering the size of the scope I suppose that the first official launch of the game called Star Citizen is expected to come in at least 5-10 years from now. But from a fan made video (recommended by YouTube) I get the information that SC is closing to something called version 2.6.1. So what's the reasoning behind these unusually high and misleading version numbers? Sorry but I'm a newcomer consumer and their webshop should be clear and convincing about the basics of the product they want to sell me. Especially when the products don't exist yet and my official store puchase turns out to be not a purchase but a pledge.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Erillion said:
    I do not care ;-)

As you were ...

Have fun

I am the "this isn't my glass, mines bigger, full, and there was at least two of them" kind of guy  :p

Terry Pratchett, that guy is sadly missed, loved his humour. :(
  • ChristopherVoidChristopherVoid Member UncommonPosts: 4
    @rertez You can play Squadron 42 right now, however it is not 100% complete but i believe a few chapters or episodes are out.
    @rertez You can play Squadron 42 right now, however it is not 100% complete but i believe a few chapters or episodes are out.
    @rertez
    Squadron 42 - which is a single player game - cannot yet be played. It is still in development.

Currently you can play modules of Star Citizen Persistent Universe (which is a multiplayer setting):

a) Arena Commander ... a starship combat simulator ... there are PvE modes, PvP modes and a racing mode
    b) Star Marine .. a FPS shooter simulator ... there are two maps to fight on
    c) Arc Corp ... a planetary surface area for socialicing and having fun (some do races with golfcarts ;-)
    d) Crusader ... a small part of the Stanton system with Port Olisar (for law abiding citizens), GrimHex Asteroid station (for pirates) and various mission locations (including two stations for PvP combat). You can also go shopping there.
    e) Hangar Module ... where you can check out all your ships and any decorative items you may have, change weapon loadouts, do some practice shooting etc.

So .. if you are only interested in the single player part, Squadron 42 will be the thing for you. If you also are interested in the multiplayer part, you should get a pledge package for both SQ42 and Star Citizen.

With respect to the version numbering - here is the official word on it
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14651-Note-From-The-Chairman-Version-Numbering                     

Have fun

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    rertez said:
    I don't get this versioning though. 1.0 is usually the first release of a software that is considered complete in terms of major features. SC's versioning is very misleading because these 2.6.1 and 3.0 numbers suggest that the game's been past of its official release. It's just odd. Does anyone know the reasoning behind these version numbers?

The official store literally invites me to join Squadron 42. Can I play Squadron 42 right now? I'm asking this because the store page starts with suggesting that it's a currently playable game even though that below the "Add to cart" button there is a notice that tells me that the game is in alpha and it's constantly being expanded. So why should I care it's being expanded when I'm not allowed to see it? And a few lines below another notice telling me that the game will be available for download on release but there is something called "The Arena Commander dogfighting module" that is available right now in Star Citizen if I buy a SQ42 standalone package. Just to make the whole thing even more confusing... Is it Star Citizen the universe they're talking about or Star Citizen the game? Everything is just so confusing for a newcomer.

Okay I already know from alternative sources that instead of the originally planned one there are 2 games under development with no official release dates on any of them so considering the size of the scope I suppose that the first official launch of the game called Star Citizen is expected to come in at least 5-10 years from now. But from a fan made video (recommended by YouTube) I get the information that SC is closing to something called version 2.6.1. So what's the reasoning behind these unusually high and misleading version numbers? Sorry but I'm a newcomer consumer and their webshop should be clear and convincing about the basics of the product they want to sell me. Especially when the products don't exist yet and my official store puchase turns out to be not a purchase but a pledge.
    Good question.  You should ask him.  Maybe he will start over for beta then launch.  Lots of stuff like that on the site.  Ship vids are sometimes different then the version of ship thats out. Ship stats are constantly changing. so what looked good in the video or store stats page may not reflect what you got.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited January 2017
    rertez said:
    This is alpha releases. Several games use the Alpha 1,2,3 with smaller patches under 1.1, 1.2, 1.3. With the versioning changing upon Beta/Release, that's why there's always "Alpha" behind the version-name.

The Fortnite Alpha, Ark Survival, Rimworld, etc.. do it as that. Others give fancy names to their updates, like Subnautica, DayZ or Rust. And others use the "0." in front of version numbers.

This is just vanity though, internally what game devs use is the build numbers/ids.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    3.0 is the latest jesus patch right?
    edited January 2017
    But of course, so-says that guy.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    But of course, so-says Derek.

Sorry but I'm trying to talk about Star Citizen, I couldn't care less about your buddy list.