Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The difference between Conan Exiles and Dark and Light - Why one is obviously better

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
Here you have two survival games coming out...

One shows hours of gameplay, not afraid to show the game, they know the game is good. They do livestreams of entire playthroughs. A company would not do this if they thought the game was bad and had to be hidden away. They show actual gameplay of the developers playing the game, so there is nothing to hide.

Then you have another one with a tiny trailer, barely any info and some screenshots that don't actually show much

Take a guess which one will be *most likely* far better at release from the above description ;)

I would never buy into a game that kept itself so secret and felt like it had to hide information from people, especially when its supposed to be not that far to release. Heck, I've seen games that still require a year or more before they are released and seen more information out about them.

I think future game companies can learn a lot on how to properly advertise, get people into the game, AND have people trust the game (whether its their type of game or not) from the first game I described that is coming out. I'm sure it doesn't take a genius to know which game is which that I described :)

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    ''I think future game companies can learn a lot on how to properly advertise, get people into the game''.

Considering they have the most anticipated game on this this website i'd say they are doing a good job getting people interested  ;) 

I dont disagree with the rest of your post though.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Stopped at "They Know The Game Is Good"

/SMH
    DMKano said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    ''I think future game companies can learn a lot on how to properly advertise, get people into the game''.

Considering they have the most anticipated game on this this website i'd say they are doing a good job getting people interested  ;) 

The Hype meter is not an indicator of popularity in real world.

Considering that you can pay several hundred dollars to buy a few thousand accounts from a 3rd party site that will vote any game you want to the top here, yeah.

So dont use the hype meter as a meaning of any larger "global" trend - its not.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    edited January 2017
    The Hype meter on here never means the game is good or popular outside this site, that is very true.

Dark & Light, something is wrong there. They are hiding the game away because it lacks much to show I guess.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    khameleon said:
    The Hype meter on here never means the game is good or popular outside this site, that is very true.

Dark & Light, something is wrong there. They are hiding the game away because it lacks much to show I guess.
    Yeah. I mean, the screenshots make it look nice. But, if the game was THAT good, and supposedly close to release (this year). Why is there so little to show? Yet Conan Exiles does livestreams, and shows off huge portions of their game.

usually in the past, a game company releasing very little info, isn't a good sign for when its actually released.

Look at No Man's Sky, they sort of showed off their game (more than Dark and Light at least). But nowhere to the extent of other games, they kept a lot of things secret and vague. Dark and Light has shown off the least amount of videos and content I've personally seen in a major game that is supposed to be out within a year.

It is a HUGE warning sign. Does it mean it will be bad? No. But most certainly there is a reason they are afraid to show the game off, when Conan Exiles isn't afraid at all.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited January 2017
    "How one unreleased & non-player tested game is better than the other unreleased game." 

Fixed your title mate. It is obvious that opinions at the moment are baseless given the fact there is nothing to base it on except marketing. And marketing and gaming is not the same. I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you.
    DMKano said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    DMKano said:
    Kunai_Vax said:

The Hype meter is not an indicator of popularity in real world.

Considering that you can pay several hundred dollars to buy a few thousand accounts from a 3rd party site that will vote any game you want to the top here, yeah.

So dont use the hype meter as a meaning of any larger "global" trend - its not.

Yeah lets break out the ancient alien meme, because disputing actual points made is hard

hype meter = jack shit
    Whats there to really dispute? Because its possible to rig it means its being rigged?
    When even a tiny bit of news comes out about DnL there's buzz and chatter so its not hard to imagine its number one on this site. Im not defending Snail games, or claiming this site represents the general masses but its obvious to anyone who visits this site on a regular basis that DnL is being watched by a lot of people (fans and haters).
    I wasnt really making a serious argument with the OP (notice my winkey face at the end) but yet again you jump on me, sword drawn and ready to duel  :o

• SerMedievalSerMedieval Member UncommonPosts: 99

One shows hours of gameplay, not afraid to show the game, they know the game is good. They do livestreams of entire playthroughs.  They show actual gameplay of the developers playing the game, so there is nothing to hide.

I think future game companies can learn a lot on how to properly advertise, get people into the game, AND have people trust the game (whether its their type of game or not) from the first game I described that is coming out. I'm sure it doesn't take a genius to know which game is which that I described :)

Just be careful how much faith you put in games just because they show you content. This post could end up looking hilarious in about 10 days here. I'd actually love to hear your thoughts about CE after a week of being in the game. It could very well be the game you can only spend about 8 hours total in before getting bored.

So could Dark and Light, but we won't know that until they release.
    "How one unreleased & non-player tested game is better than the other unreleased game." 

Fixed your title mate. It is obvious that opinions at the moment are baseless given the fact there is nothing to base it on except marketing. And marketing and gaming is not the same. I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you.
    Except, one unreleased game that is due out within a year as shown off a TON of the game off. Livestreaming it, so no faking it.

Where as, the other game due out within a year barely shows anything

Nice job missing the point of the thread :)

One shows hours of gameplay, not afraid to show the game, they know the game is good. They do livestreams of entire playthroughs.  They show actual gameplay of the developers playing the game, so there is nothing to hide.

Just be careful how much faith you put in games just because they show you content. This post could end up looking hilarious in about 10 days here. I'd actually love to hear your thoughts about CE after a week of being in the game. It could very well be the game you can only spend about 8 hours total in before getting bored.

So could Dark and Light, but we won't know that until they release.
    True, hence why...

"Take a guess which one will be *most likely* far better at release"

"most likely"

In English (if it isn't your first language), that means its likely to be good from what they've shown off. But it could actually be terrible, or get boring really quick.

Still better than showing off nothing of the game, and hiding it all secretly.

But maybe Dark and Light will actually be the far better game. But if so, I'd think they'd really want to show what the game was about.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited January 2017

Except, one unreleased game that is due out within a year as shown off a TON of the game off. Livestreaming it, so no faking it.

What devs show you is not always the actual product handed to the consumer. Case in point? No Man's Sky. I'm hyped for Conan Exiles but I'm not going to say it's a wonderful and the best game when I haven't even tried it.

There could be countless and intolerable bugs, glitches & other nuances that the devs didn't show in their scripted gameplay. Aight? Don't be a gullible consumer. :)

What devs show you is not always the actual product handed to the consumer. Case in point? No Man's Sky. I'm hyped for Conan Exiles but I'm not going to say it's a wonderful and the best game when I haven't even tried it.

There could be countless and intolerable bugs, glitches & other nuances that the devs didn't show in their scripted gameplay. Aight? Don't be a gullible consumer. :)

True. And Age of Conan tricked people with Tortage. 

I don't remember, but did No man's Sky do livestream of playing the actual game? Or was it just developer videos (which are a lot easier to fake)?

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Ask Ark about all this.

ARK was the poster child a year ago for how to do it 'right'. Fast forward to now and they have shown theyre just like everyone else. They stole IP that they had to pay a 40 million settlement to have go away, they rely way too heavily on mod makers and cellar developers to help them advance their game, game still isnt optimized, they continue to release new dinosaurs (because it looks like content) despite the fact that the map(s) they offer now in 'vanilla' form have shared spawn points and therefore its possible to not have some dinos spawn at all. And on top of all that (and due to at least one of the prior issues) they released a paid DLC/ecxpansion while the main game is still in 'development/alpha'.

Ark is more than playable (performance and optimization issues aside) and has been for months. And it is a 'good' game but that still doesnt make it one that is a no brainer (anymore).

But in the grand scheme and pertaining to what is 'important' to most gamers its a shining example of how all games should be made and released.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Or maybe one game is just further along in development than the other?
  • SerMedievalSerMedieval Member UncommonPosts: 99
    True, hence why...

"Take a guess which one will be *most likely* far better at release"

"most likely"

In English (if it isn't your first language), that means its likely to be good from what they've shown off. But it could actually be terrible, or get boring really quick.

Still better than showing off nothing of the game, and hiding it all secretly.

But maybe Dark and Light will actually be the far better game. But if so, I'd think they'd really want to show what the game was about.

"Discussion / The difference between Conan Exiles and Dark and Light - Why one is obviously better"

This along with the full length of your original post looks to me like you've been drinking the Conan Kool-Aid and are ready to swear it up and down as the best survival sandbox of 2016-2017 without having even tried it yet. But perhaps I misunderstood your vague point buried beneath 2 words contained in a very biased and probably misinformed paragraph on which game is going to be better.

But of course, you don't know what I know about Dark and Light. I doubt you've read through the Q&As hosted by a Snail Associate or even been to the discord and looked at all the screenshots that have been collected over the months.  So I can in good faith cut you some slack for that. I'm not attacking you with what I said before, I'm trying to warn you that games can still scam you even though their advertisement is on point. And it's not wise to make judgements so early just off of a game's marketing technique. Let alone 2 unreleased games.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Reminds me of Age of Conan...

I'm never playing another Funcon game again.
    Quizzical said:
    I dunno. If Dark and Light is out within this year, Witcher 3 had far more information 1+ year from release.

Granted, Witcher 3 bait and switch as they showed off amazing next gen graphics and released with graphics not even as good as modded Skyrim.

I do admit though, Funcom is very famously known for also bait and switching. Age of Conan Tortage was the biggest bait and switch in MMO history. Anarchy Online was the worst released launch MMO in MMO history.  Age of Conan promised lots, lied about most of them.

The Secret World is probably the only one they've released thus far that had a good launch (as far as I remember, not as bad anyway compared to their other MMOs). But TSW isn't very popular, very niche.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Quizzical said:
    I dunno. If Dark and Light is out within this year, Witcher 3 had far more information 1+ year from release.

Granted, Witcher 3 bait and switch as they showed off amazing next gen graphics and released with graphics not even as good as modded Skyrim.

I do admit though, Funcom is very famously known for also bait and switching. Age of Conan Tortage was the biggest bait and switch in MMO history. Anarchy Online was the worst released launch MMO in MMO history.  Age of Conan promised lots, lied about most of them.

The Secret World is probably the only one they've released thus far that had a good launch (as far as I remember, not as bad anyway compared to their other MMOs). But TSW isn't very popular, very niche.
    I have an interesting question to ask you. What is Snail Games known for? If you can think of anything that is.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i hate to break the big news but it is VERY difficult for one survival game to be much better than the other because they all do the same thing and have very shallow games.So you might get better graphics like models and textures and animations which does matter but i am looking for a game right now,a mmorpg game not just a one gimmick game.
    I already find the Dinosaur theme old so i am not  sure what either one of these games have to offer that i can't already get in the market.

Conan does not seem intriguing to me and DnL has nothing to show,if they had something to brag about,a real nice sales pitch,they would use it,so neither game to me looks worth the time of day.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

Its so cute. Fight about which unreleased piece of survival crap would be better. 
    edited January 2017
    Albatroes said:
    Quizzical said:

I have an interesting question to ask you. What is Snail Games known for? If you can think of anything that is.
    I believe I played Voyage Century until it turned pay to win. That is that one where you could sail around a ship, but also fight on various islands, really good crafting (early on in the games life) etc?

Mostly, when I see a game of theirs, I just think of a very heavy cash shop game that is pay to win. Though age of wushu was pretty fun, but if I recall (might be wrong), it was too heavy cash shop focused for enjoyment of it past a month. Pretty sure it was age of wushu I played, but there are a lot of martial arts based MMOs that come from the far east.

aliven said:

Its so cute. Fight about which unreleased piece of survival crap would be better. 
    How are survival games any different than the countless indie no name, sandbox deathmatch PvP MMO clones? At least most survival games are sandbox AND let you focus on PVE. Not like the 1000th WoW clone or sandbox deathmatch mmo clone with little actual content (at least the MMOs in development seem actually innovative). Granted, EVE is the only exception there for released sandbox MMOs, EVE has as much PVE content as PvP content.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    lets wait until we are able to play before coming to conclusions
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    ?  
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Warlyx said:
    lets wait until we are able to play before coming to conclusions
    I think that would require being reasonable. Have you read any of the other threads this guy starts, because reasonable is not a word I would use even remotely to describe them.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/