Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia takes laptop graphics with huge lead.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
Yes the gtx 1050 Ti mobile is coming to laptops and its got better benchmarks then the PC version.   Now thats freaking nasty for a laptop.  A card that uses 75w max power consumption and running 10% faster then the gtx 970m.  And with a price that you just can't beat.  With the rx 460 using 104w of power its just not gonna compete with these numbers.
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    edited January 2017
    filmoret <-------------------------------------> truth <-------------------------------------> malabooga

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Naturally like all products a developer needs to hype them up the best way it can.
    This is based on overclocking and a lot more o/c than the other machines.So what happens under serious duress when o/c that much,i would say it will be very unstable and/or need some serious cooling.

Prices,i think too early but my guess is that it is new and it is a laptop,so it will be over priced by a lot.
    If i had to guess shelf price here in Canada,i would say likely around 2800-3200 for just above average that is simply o/c a ton.
    As well the 4gb memory sounds like it won't be as good as advertised.I absolutely never care about benchmarks unless i see moving in game footage.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2017
    Ok so here's something interesting.

At least here in the US, the largest battery you usually see installed in a laptop is 100Wh (the current FAA limit for Lithium Ion to be brought Carry-On - you can have bigger batteries, but then it has to be checked).

So I don't do math so well, I'll let other smarter people figure out why that's an interesting fact.

Also, not saying that the difference between a 75W and a 104W GPU is not meaningless, except that, I am, because... seriously, for my own use, even 75W is just way to much to consider putting into a laptop, considering you still have ~everything else~ that needs power on top of that.
    Also, what is that price that we just can't beat? I didn't know buying discrete GPUs for laptops was a thing now.

Mostly, I see the price bundled in with the rest of the laptop, so I don't really know what the GPU cost by itself.
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Torval said:
    The Nvidia 970M is not a card to write home about. It's nothing compared to its desktop counterpart.
    He means it does run about 10% faster than the desktop GPU, not the 970m. I couldn't believe it either when I first saw this, but several sites are confirming it in their tests.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:
    The Nvidia 970M is not a card to write home about. It's nothing compared to its desktop counterpart.
    He means it does run about 10% faster than the desktop GPU, not the 970m. I couldn't believe it either when I first saw this, but several sites are confirming it in their tests.
    This is not anything to snuff at.  They delivering something that strong with only using 75 wats on full power.  Oh and BTW when you are running on battery it goes into saver mode and runs about 50w.  Right now Dell has the 1050 in new laptops for 800$.  You can barely find a laptop with the 970m that costs that much and those are 3 year old laptops.

We were really hoping that AMD was supplying us with solid laptop gpu's but they just didn't get it this time.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Ridelynn said:

At least here in the US, the largest battery you usually see installed in a laptop is 100Wh (the current FAA limit for Lithium Ion to be brought Carry-On - you can have bigger batteries, but then it has to be checked).

So I don't do math so well, I'll let other smarter people figure out why that's an interesting fact.

Also, not saying that the difference between a 75W and a 104W GPU is not meaningless, except that, I am, because... seriously, for my own use, even 75W is just way to much to consider putting into a laptop, considering you still have ~everything else~ that needs power on top of that.
    I did not know that.  I assume that if a laptop exceeds this the laptop should come with some sort of documentation or warning letting someone know they cannot bring it on as a carry-on. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Torval said:
    Yea when it comes to laptops you suffer greatly when it comes to gpu's.  Right now its the 4th or 5th strongest laptop gpu on the market.  But has the best power consumption.
    filmoret <-------------------------------------> truth <-------------------------------------> malabooga
    Hey how about you name 1 thing I said that wasn't true.  Otherwise sit down and shut up.
    Ridelynn said:

AND FYI you are lucky to find a laptop gpu that uses less then 75w.  So next time maybe research before throwing up numbers that mean nothing.
    Torval said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:
    I'm not seeing it:
    http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2577vs3649
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1050_Ti_Gaming_X/
    http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-970
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti,4787-4.html

and especially this one:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-Desktop.181032.0.html

In that last link it shows the 1050 ti between 5 - 19% faster than 970M which is a mediocre card for the name it carries. In none of those links do I see where it beat a 970 or a 470 desktop. So by putting a desktop card into a laptop and compare it with a previous generation mobile version people are drawing some really bad conclusions.

It's par for the course with these threads, but I thought I'd throw some facts out there anyway even if they'll likely be ignored for some nonsensical reason.
    The point was they made it fast as the desktop counterpart.  Which is rare but the 1070 and 1080 are suppose to be equals in respects to their mobilevdesktops.  And the power usage is something that was also a huge thing for them.  Yes compared with desktops they aren't good and thats just how it works.  But if you are a laptop gamer this is great news.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    filmoret said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:
    This is not anything to snuff at.  They delivering something that strong with only using 75 wats on full power.  Oh and BTW when you are running on battery it goes into saver mode and runs about 50w.  Right now Dell has the 1050 in new laptops for 800$.  You can barely find a laptop with the 970m that costs that much and those are 3 year old laptops.

We were really hoping that AMD was supplying us with solid laptop gpu's but they just didn't get it this time.
    You say that as though you don't realize that it's so obviously a bad thing.  If Nvidia's lowest end Pascal GPU chip burns 75 W in a laptop, where do people who want a more laptop-friendly laptop GPU go?

Now, they could and probably either have or will make a lower clocked, lower wattage version of the same chip that limits itself to a more laptop-friendly 35 W or so.  But the 75 W laptop card is supposed to be a lower clocked version of the next chip up.  A GeForce GTX 1060 with its clock speed and voltage suitably reduced could probably offer a lot more performance in that same 75 W envelope.  That's basically what both AMD and Nvidia have done with their laptop GPUs for many generations now.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2017
    Have to see @Torval . The confusion here is that NVidia have dropped the M designation but have made changes. Or as TomsHardware's put it (3rd January):

This new batch of desktop-class GPUs go by their CUDA core-matching desktop names, but the significantly increased clock rates of the GTX 1050 Ti and the reduced ROP count of the 1050         almost make these completely different GPUs (in terms of potential performance)         compared to their desktop predecessors. However, until we review a laptop with these new graphics and pit it against a desktop with a similar configuration, we'll have to reserve judgment.

Annandtech (4th January) seemed to be at a bit of a loss to explain the apparent differences as well.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-gtx-1050-1050ti-mobile,news-54495.html
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10980/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-for-laptops

Hence the links and current users scores etc. may not be applicable. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating - or not.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    filmoret said:
    The point was they made it fast as the desktop counterpart.  Which is rare but the 1070 and 1080 are suppose to be equals in respects to their mobilevdesktops.  And the power usage is something that was also a huge thing for them.  Yes compared with desktops they aren't good and thats just how it works.  But if you are a laptop gamer this is great news.
    It is acceptable, yes but just barely. Laptop gamers are usually used to low standards unless they use incredible expensive custom machines.

It ain't the power consumption that is the real problem though but the heat. It is incredible hard to get good cooling while still keep the laptop small and portable. Until the nano technology becomes better we will be stuck with under-performing laptops and most gamers will use a desktop no matter how practical it would be to be able to remove your entire computer from your home docking station (usually that means keyboard, mouse and real large screen you jack in at home nowadays) and bring it with you wherever you go.
    Loke666 said:

It ain't the power consumption that is the real problem though but the heat.
    power consumption = heat output

It's conservation of energy.

Your point was probably that cooling is more of a problem than battery drain, and I'm not arguing against that.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Quizzical said:
    Loke666 said:

It ain't the power consumption that is the real problem though but the heat.
    power consumption = heat output

It's conservation of energy.

Your point was probably that cooling is more of a problem than battery drain, and I'm not arguing against that.

MMOman101 said:
    Ridelynn said:

I did not know that.  I assume that if a laptop exceeds this the laptop should come with some sort of documentation or warning letting someone know they cannot bring it on as a carry-on. 
    https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

This isn't the actual federal regulation, but it's an FAA handout derived from it, so ... close enough for all but the lawyers I suppose.

Most laptops don't have a battery anywhere near 100Wh. The new MPB (love it or loath it), for instance, only has 54Wh. The longest running laptop that I could find just doing a quick and totally non-scientific Google search was a Lenovo Thinkpad X260, and it only had a (optional upgrade, not standard) 72Wh battery. A quick look through Sager gaming linup, and the biggest I could find there was a 76Wh battery (but I didn't look very deeply, I admit).
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

edited January 2017
    filmoret said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:

Personally, if I were looking for graphics power in a laptop, I'd say that AMD APUs are running rings around anything else right now - Intel can only come close with their Iris Pro-based chips, and nVidia doesn't have an x86 license for CPU cores and can only come into play with expensive (in terms of dollars, power consumption, additional cooling, and additional size/weight) add-on options. 

Is Pascal faster than GCN? Probably in most scenarios, but in a laptop, I'd say that's way down on the list of priorities.

And Polaris 11, we've only just seen it come out in the most recent Apple lineup  - I don't think it's spread beyond that yet, but I could be mistaken.

Ridelynn said:
    filmoret said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:

Personally, if I were looking for graphics power in a laptop, I'd say that AMD APUs are running rings around anything else right now - Intel can only come close with their Iris Pro-based chips, and nVidia doesn't have an x86 license for CPU cores and can only come into play with expensive (in terms of dollars, power consumption, additional cooling, and additional size/weight) add-on options. 

Is Pascal faster than GCN? Probably in most scenarios, but in a laptop, I'd say that's way down on the list of priorities.

And Polaris 11, we've only just seen it come out in the most recent Apple lineup  - I don't think it's spread beyond that yet, but I could be mistaken.

But the best apu is lucky to perform like a gtx 650.  Even if you are going for battery life there really isn't a laptop that lets you play a game for 2 hours before losing battery.  When people buy gaming laptops they understand that you might get 1 hour of gaming on battery and the fps is cut to 30 to save power.  

They are more concerned with performance and heat.  Realizing that they won't get anything as good as an rx 480 but can come close within reason.  For example the gtx 1070 and 1080 for mobile are duplicate performance of the pc versions but the heat man will probably kill someone.
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:
    filmoret said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:

But the best apu is lucky to perform like a gtx 650.  Even if you are going for battery life there really isn't a laptop that lets you play a game for 2 hours before losing battery.  When people buy gaming laptops they understand that you might get 1 hour of gaming on battery and the fps is cut to 30 to save power.  

They are more concerned with performance and heat.  Realizing that they won't get anything as good as an rx 480 but can come close within reason.  For example the gtx 1070 and 1080 for mobile are duplicate performance of the pc versions but the heat man will probably kill someone.
    Just wait until AMD sticks HBM on package in an APU.  Once that happens, discrete GPUs disappear from gaming laptops in a hurry.
  • StellaBellaStellaBella Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:
    filmoret said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:

Just wait until AMD sticks HBM on package in an APU.  Once that happens, discrete GPUs disappear from gaming laptops in a hurry.
    There will be discrete GPU on gaming laptop for the foreseeable future simply because of the power in watts needed to run games (you even talked about power requirement earlier in this thread). You slap a high end GPU on a laptop motherboard has the primary and only display adapter (even with HBM2 memory) and your battery will be dead before you could read my reply in this thread. I did send you a lol cause frankly that's what I did.

You could say I made this account on MMORPG just to send you that lol.
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:
    filmoret said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:

There will be discrete GPU on gaming laptop for the foreseeable future simply because of the power in watts needed to run games (you even talked about power requirement earlier in this thread). You slap a high end GPU on a laptop motherboard has the primary and only display adapter (even with HBM2 memory) and your battery will be dead before you could read my reply in this thread. I did send you a lol cause frankly that's what I did.

To the contrary, chips have gotten very good at shutting down portions that aren't in use to save power.  That 45 W laptop CPU doesn't burn 45 W all of the time.  If your computer is idle, it's not using more than a few watts.

Integrated graphics offers some major advantages over a discrete card.  No need to pass data to the GPU over a PCI Express bus saves cost and power, and can improve performance in some cases.  Having only one hot spot in a laptop to cool rather than two makes cooling much simpler.  Not needing a giant card (well, giant by laptop standards, anyway) for the GPU makes spacing and cooling simpler.  Not needing two separate GPUs in the system because you want to shut down the discrete GPU when not gaming to save power but need a GPU running to show anything on the screen saves a lot of complexity--and avoids a lot of video driver problems.

Right now, the problem with integrated graphics for gaming is that it can't give enough performance.  AMD could build a bigger APU with a lot more compute units (and has for consoles!), but it wouldn't work very well in laptops because it would be starved for memory bandwidth.  Two channels of DDR4 just isn't enough to feed a big GPU.  Stick HBM on package and that problem goes away, while all of the advantages of integrated graphics stay.
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:
    filmoret said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:

To the contrary, chips have gotten very good at shutting down portions that aren't in use to save power.  That 45 W laptop CPU doesn't burn 45 W all of the time.  If your computer is idle, it's not using more than a few watts.

Integrated graphics offers some major advantages over a discrete card.  No need to pass data to the GPU over a PCI Express bus saves cost and power, and can improve performance in some cases.  Having only one hot spot in a laptop to cool rather than two makes cooling much simpler.  Not needing a giant card (well, giant by laptop standards, anyway) for the GPU makes spacing and cooling simpler.  Not needing two separate GPUs in the system because you want to shut down the discrete GPU when not gaming to save power but need a GPU running to show anything on the screen saves a lot of complexity--and avoids a lot of video driver problems.

Right now, the problem with integrated graphics for gaming is that it can't give enough performance.  AMD could build a bigger APU with a lot more compute units (and has for consoles!), but it wouldn't work very well in laptops because it would be starved for memory bandwidth.  Two channels of DDR4 just isn't enough to feed a big GPU.  Stick HBM on package and that problem goes away, while all of the advantages of integrated graphics stay.
    But still they won't get 2 hours of gameplay before dead battery.  Right now all the laptops I have 2 i5's  some generic intel,  and a gaming laptop.  None of them will give more then 2.5 hours just watching netflix.  Gaming I'm lucky to pull 1.5 hours and even then I won't even try that because the performance becomes horrible.

So they can make the apu's better but they are going to have to give them much better power usage in order to pull over 2 hours on a battery.
    filmoret said:
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:
    filmoret said:
    Elevenb4 said:
    Torval said:

But still they won't get 2 hours of gameplay before dead battery.  Right now all the laptops I have 2 i5's  some generic intel,  and a gaming laptop.  None of them will give more then 2.5 hours just watching netflix.  Gaming I'm lucky to pull 1.5 hours and even then I won't even try that because the performance becomes horrible.

So they can make the apu's better but they are going to have to give them much better power usage in order to pull over 2 hours on a battery.
    Well of course you plug the laptop into the wall when playing games.  That's how gaming laptops go, and bigger APUs aren't going to change that.