Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do I keep going back to WoW every 2-3 months?

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kyleran said:
    Poor upbringing? Weak character? Lacking in will? Fluoridated water? Daddy issues? Seeking something new to put your faith in, a good cult perhaps? ;)

Putting psychoanalysis and kidding aside, most modern games don't deliver anywhere near the immersive experience some us had with early versions of our favorite  MMORPGS.

So we go back to them, in some cases to legacy private servers for EQ1, WOW, DAOC, and SWG.

People will tell you it's all nostalgia, except it's not, having returned to a 2002 version of a favorite game my friends and I are having more fun together than we've had in years.

So understandable why you return to WOW, for me it's EVE. On a hiatus for now but one day I'll be returning, not much on the near horizon to replace it.
    Nostalgia is still a part of it, but that mainly means that you will have more fun playing it again then someone who never did.  Nostalgia isn't the same as rose colored glasses, which means you just remember the good stuff but not the bad (which isn't uncommon with MMO vets but not something everyone have).

Compare it with listening to music you loved as a kid, some stuff is still awesome, others havn't aged with dignity.

In OPs case though I think he compares the new games with Wow instead of trying to like them for what they are themselves.

Maybe OP should take a few months of computer RPGs altogether, a break makes all the games more fun again after it. Play something of other genres or maybe even try a pen and paper game instead. At least that always work for me.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Legion was the most fun I had in WoW since the Death Knight and Werewolf expansions.  They have problems with balance and rotate nerfs and buffs which I don't like but overall they hit the nail on the head from time to time.  Played since the game first started and still return from time to time when something looks good.  I loved the evasions and if they make them a regular thing I might be back.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    I havent considered WoW as an option in years
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Exact same situation with new. Every few months i just need that hit of tight action combat. These days it only lasts a week or three though. Saves lots of money.
  • SilkeKHSilkeKH Member CommonPosts: 2

To all members of the Horde and Alliance in Orgrimmar and Stormwind,

as a research group at TU University Dortmund  we would like to invite you as an expert for WOW to answer a questionnaire about your player experiences. After completion you may participate in a raffle!

The questionnaire takes approximately 10 - 15 minutes. Only anonymized data will be collected. Your participation in this study will support further adaptation of new technologies towards users` needs.

Three 20 € Battle.Net vouchers will be raffled as reward for  participation! That isn`t nothing!

Feel free to distribute this message throughout Kalimdor and far beyond. Just share this link to the survey.

For further questions please contact us at:                                              

[email protected]

[email protected]

Please open the link: https://umfragen.tu-dortmund.de/index.php/231314/lang-en

Thank you for your support! For Azeroth!

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    I play WoW. Have a ton of fun for 1 to 4 months. Once in a while I sub for an entire year, and play that entire year. Get kinda bored at endgame. Last longest it seems when I'm on an RP server than any other server, also I do seem to play more when I don't focus on raiding or hardcore stuff, and just play casually. Stop playing eventually because my guild disbands or/and my friends want me to play other games.

I quit the raid grind and arena grind years ago in WoW and enjoy it so much more without them. There's so much to do in Wow. What I really love is you can do anything you want and play it like a sandbox game if you want. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Nostalgia and momentary fun. In WoW most of the people I know go back because something new came out to do, then once they are bored of the new thing they move on until the next new thing comes along. Honestly it's extremely common with MMO's to go back to the ones you had the most fun with (or stick with them if you do). I do that all the time. I go back to Lineage 2 every few months, even though the game isn't the same and is ruined in almost every aspect that I actually enjoyed about it originally. I just find that I know so much about the game, and the world that going back just feels right each time. Last time I played about 3 months and it was super fun but eventually the same feeling the game wasn't the same comes back. But going back over and over provides fun for a while, so I think that's why people tend to go back to their original love in MMORPG's.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited October 2017
    Because you already have max level characters, already know how to play decently well, and no other game on the market right now makes a compelling case for anyone to pick them up over World of Warcraft.

That's why I have a hard time playing other MMORPGs.

I don't mind playing games like Destiny II, Diablo III, Hearthstone, and some Single Player PS4 RPGs (Witcher III, etc.) in addition to an MMORPG (change of pace is always good), but an MMORPG really needs to be really good and have a nice player base size for me to care to put more than 20 hours or so into them.

Unfortunately, WoW is the only one out there that I'd personally classify as "really good."

The rest are either fairly close clones of it (FFXIV, except with molasses combat and worse performance), or just bad.

I was really interested in some games over the years, but they tended to develop their game for specs above what I had available at the time (Age of Conan, for example).  By the time I got a PC that could play them, they had already faded into obscurity (and I don't like playing dead/barely populated MMORPG games).