Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Survival Mechanics planned

2»

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    ...Star Citizen has perma-death?
    He posted the link bellow:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

SC's permadeath is however a bit roleplay focused, not the loose everything type of mechanic.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    ...Star Citizen has perma-death?
    He posted the link bellow:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

SC's permadeath is however a bit roleplay focused, not the loose everything type of mechanic.
    Hmm, if the survival aspects were planned from the beginning, that's not scope creep by definition of scope creep.  I can't help but think that's an awful lot of effort, server-tracking resources, programming time, debugging, and other things that will be going into something that's essentially entirely 100% fluff, though.  Basically, they're going to come up with and program in a starvation system, limited lives system, fatality of headshots system, ejection system, and a ton of other things that funnel into this "perma-death" when the "perma-death" itself is basically the equivalent of some text and a character-redesign (with the only gameplay impact being a slight centering of your faction alignment)

Well, I suppose it's not like they don't have money to burn.
    Post edited by Tiamat64 on
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Did they really plan from the start hunting for food on planets or "harvesting wood because you’re freezing on the planet."?
    (Both gameplays are mentioned in this interview (wood logging for campfire at 21.00 where he talks about mining and harvesting)

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited January 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
     into something that's essentially entirely 100% fluff, though. 
    Star Citizen unlike people around here do not seem to realize it's BIG on roleplay.

Unlike the norm on MMO's that were never that immersive, SC had the immersion pitch since always. The care for that kind of details is also what makes the experience they are creating unique.

I don't think they would cut on that because Chris Roberts is for "Immersion, Immersion, Immersion!"  what Steve Ballmer is to "Developers, Developers, Developers!".

Did they really plan from the start hunting for food on planets or "harvesting wood because you’re freezing on the planet."?
    Nope because there was no planets on the original pitch. The only thing there was the called "Social Module" that were a few (less than 10) landing zones like Arccorp.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I would also guess that the number of times you will be marooned on a planet and are forced to forage for food or water is very limited - unless you do it by choice. Besides the in game option to call for help with a beacon you can always metagame and call for help on Teamspeak or similar channel.

Getting rescued from a planet in one of the pirate controlled outer systems might get interesting. Better a prisoner  than starving?

Have fun
    edited January 2017
    I think survival also gets a push because of the nature of their PG Planets with the weather, as we seen one example of a sandstorm; so it is to expect extreme conditions on planets, both on temperature, toxicity, and other events.

That itself raises the need for survival as of, players need to adapt to these conditions even without hunger/thirst mechanics.
    edited January 2017
    Erillion said:
    Getting rescued from a planet in one of the pirate controlled outer systems might get interesting. Better a prisoner  than starving?
    This gave me one idea for @filmoret ! We'll capture him, fly our ship and drop him on some random Desert and watch him trying to survive. Maybe he'll get eaten by a sandworm! :D

This reminds me of a movie I can't recall the name --'
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    MaxBacon said:
    Erillion said:
    This gave me one idea for @filmoret ! We'll capture him, fly our ship and drop him on some random Desert and watch him trying to survive. Maybe he'll get eaten by a sandworm! :D

This reminds me of a movie I can't recall the name --'
    Hmmm, how about putting a traitor into the ranks of his crew, assault his in game fortress, kill everyone present, use him and his in game sister in a selective breeding program...? 

What could possibly happen? (Besides a galaxy wide campaign of conquest and total control over interstellar flight) 

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Hmmm, how about putting a traitor into the ranks of his crew, assault his in game fortress, kill everyone present, use him and his in game sister in a selective breeding program...? 

What could possibly happen? (Besides a galaxy wide campaign of conquest and total control over interstellar flight) 

Have fun
    O.o
    Evil.
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Sounds like Eve ;-)