Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Survival Mechanics planned

Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787

@30.00 Minutes

Lead system designer talks about ARK:Evolved like survival game mechanics in the game, though you will be able to avoid this by instakill or Agent Smithing (where your character will be replaced by an NPC)

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
The cake is a lie.

Comments

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2017
    Even more scope creep, I take it?
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    why not ?? he can say this game will got everything !!
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    In time for the planned launch in 2023.......

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

As usual.

Wonder how late that survival addon went in, and how much delay it will cause?  Also mentioned was ship art done before the mechanics of docking was thought through.  Guess stuff had to be redone...again.  Lots of refactoring of the code. Hmnn, no clear projection of when the number of players in an instance will expand.  (Though Lumberyard may help that - maybe).  

'There's a lot of gameplay loops in Star Citizen'.   More things to break.  No matter how hard the magic Germans work, there will always be some additional thing to add.  Or fix.  Or redo. 

Pretty classic expansion ad infinitum ala Roberts....

So buy more ships, fans, 'cause Star Citizen is running a Red Queen's race.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    By survival mechanics he describes:

You need something to drink or you die of thirst.

You need something to eat or you die of hunger.

You can search both for water and things to eat (hopefully you search FIRST in the crates full of foodstuff and water you have on your ship or base ... or SHOULD have on your ship).

Basically from day 1 some Star Citizen ships (e.g. Constellation) had a working toilet .... did you think that was just for show ? I want my "A job well done" buff after going to the dreker.

That when your ship crashed you better call for help so someone comes and picks you up. And hopefully it is the right kind of people that come for you.

That is not scope creep. That is a direct consequence for a game that uses a permadeath system. Yes, you can bleed to death. Yes, you can die of hunger or thirst. Yes, you can become a frozen icicle in space. Yes, harsh weather can kill you. And yes ... SANDWORMS ... we have not talked about sandworms yet  ;-)

Have fun
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    wait..what? SC has permadeath? Are you trolling?  O.o

edited January 2017
    Kunai_Vax said:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

That is why "Arena Commander" and "Star Marine" modules exist. These are in-game training sim-pod games where you can practice. And die as often as you want without consequences. But if you try that in the Persistant Universe, your body will suffer permanently (and ultimately die at some point).

Have fun

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    One thing I've learned from being a software developer all my life is that the more complex a piece of software becomes, the greater the likelihood of "unintended consequences" once that software is released.

The risk of dupes, hacks and exploits becomes significant the greater the complexity of the code. And SC is starting to look like it will be the most complex MMO ever built...
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Erillion said:
    Kunai_Vax said:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12879-Death-Of-A-Spaceman

That is why "Arena Commander" and "Star Marine" modules exist. These are in-game training sim-pod games where you can practice. And die as often as you want without consequences. But if you try that in the Persistant Universe, your body will suffer permanently (and ultimately die at some point).

Have fun

Long read, but interesting. Its not really permadeath though (as i understood it) its more like a cosmetic death and some rep penalties. 
    It sounds pretty cool though. I just dont follow SC that much. When/if its actually released ill get into it then.

• TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    At this rate Half Life 3 will be released faster than SC

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    This is something that feels weird for this game. The game has permadeath that is not that much severe of one mechanic per design, but already feels enough to input the gameplay of consequence.

DT: So there will be storage. You’ll be adding stuff, collecting minerals - or whatever you want to do in that area - and stocking it. And you’ll have to bring supplies. You’ll have to bring … you’ll have to bring food, you’ll have to bring water. You’ll have to bring everything you need for daily life there. It won’t be “Oh, I just here and I’ll survive forever.” No. If your ship … if you crash on the planet somewhere you better have someone come and rescue you because you’ll start to starve; you’ll start to slowly die.

The game keeps going the Roleplay direction big time O.o With all these small bits SC can easily be the Roleplayers "wet dream" MMO. Will need good character customization though.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Newsflash!  SC will have [insert this] mechanics.

There's probably nothing gameplay related this game won't have once it releases.

Can't wait!

..Cake..

edited January 2017
    sgel said:
    There's probably nothing gameplay related this game won't have once it releases.
    Hmmm did he actually say SC will have this once it releases?
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    Has Chris Roberts actually decided what's going to be in his MVP at launch?

..Cake..

edited January 2017
    sgel said:
    Nope.

Like planetary bases and stuff, as it was said they are plans for this game, but not plans of something that we will get by-release.

On everything that is not a stretch goal, it should not be taken as something we will see by-release unless they state otherwise.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    sgel said:
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    No, it's waaaaaay too early to start listing specfics of the Early Access launch of the PU (aka MVP) !

Maybe next year... :D
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited January 2017

Edit:  Readable
    Post edited by H0urg1ass on
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Wouldn't it be cool if we could land on a planet that had a civilization and live among the locals?

We could have full fledged fantasy games within SC!!!!

Just think...  one planet could be fantasy based with knights and wizards and sieging of castles.  Another could be Wild West with sheriffs and outlaws.  Itching for some samurai vs ninja gameplay?  There's a planet for that!   How about a planet where the population is jacked into a matrix controlled by AI that harvest them for food?  Hell... remember that giant worm from the trailer?  Obviously they are working on a secret Dune-like area of the galaxy.  Toss in some planets with varying degrees of world wars to make sure the Battlefield fans have a place to gather.. 

This is truly can become the "One Game" to rule them all!

Or... they can just STOP talking about new stuff that is going to be in the game and just freaking deliver.  Huge CR fan here.... Huge WingCommander fan here... but enough is enough. I don't want the hear about a single new thing being added to the game.  At this point keep all the new ideas for a future patch.   

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited January 2017
    Slapshot1188 said:
    At this point keep all the new ideas for a future patch.   
    I'd say this is what this is. People need to realize the fact they have a ecaton of design stuff for many features that are not stated to be in the game by release.

This logic every time a feature is mentioned = confirmed for release... ain't right.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited January 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    At this point keep all the new ideas for a future patch.   
    I'd say this is what this is. People need to realize the fact they have a ecaton of design stuff for many features that are not stated to be in the game by release.

This logic every time a feature is mentioned = confirmed for release; ain't right.
    Then why talk about them?

When the main criticism of your game is scope-creep why keep talking about new features?

Just shut up and make the damn game. Blow us away.. and THEN tell us about all the other cool things coming! 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Because people like to talk about their work.

Yes, not the smartest PR thing to do .... that is why big publishers have slick PR guys .... but very human.

And ... so far it has not hurt their bottom line.

Have fun
    edited January 2017
    This is so clear, every time, litterarly every 10ftc, you heard Chris Roberts with terms as:
    - "far away future"
    - "long term"
    - "short term" ... and some others.

When talking about many features, we plan to do this and that and then long term we'll do X and Y. It's quite visible there's 2 plans on the feature design, that is what's coming first and what's planned for later.

The point is clear to me they have a lot of stuff on design but they intentionally separate with that terminology when asked about it.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Seen a lot of games mention you will be able to do, A, B, C, and D in our game but C and D never made it into the game for various reasons.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Really looking forward to playing this game ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Erillion said:
    By survival mechanics he describes:

You need something to drink or you die of thirst.

You need something to eat or you die of hunger.

You can search both for water and things to eat (hopefully you search FIRST in the crates full of foodstuff and water you have on your ship or base ... or SHOULD have on your ship).

Basically from day 1 some Star Citizen ships (e.g. Constellation) had a working toilet .... did you think that was just for show ? I want my "A job well done" buff after going to the dreker.

That when your ship crashed you better call for help so someone comes and picks you up. And hopefully it is the right kind of people that come for you.

That is not scope creep. That is a direct consequence for a game that uses a permadeath system. Yes, you can bleed to death. Yes, you can die of hunger or thirst. Yes, you can become a frozen icicle in space. Yes, harsh weather can kill you. And yes ... SANDWORMS ... we have not talked about sandworms yet  ;-)

Have fun
    ...Star Citizen has perma-death?