Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SC Gamestar Article 02/2017 (with link to translation [Reddit])

Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
edited January 2017 in Star Citizen

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
The cake is a lie.

Comments

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    TBH my favorite part in this interview is when Roberts says that Player housing is the same like dropping a gun on a planet ... just with a house ...

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    TBH my favorite part in this interview is when Roberts says that Player housing is the same like dropping a gun on a planet ... just with a house ...
    Makes sense as well - in context of course:

(from the translation)

"There will be the opportunity for players to build their own homes or outposts" How is that possible, it leads immediately afterwards technically made "freight - ie crates or boxes, which are made for example in the cargo hold of a Freelancer - is stored in a persistent database.

»The same technique is used when a player discards important items at a location on a planet. You can go away and come back later and the items will resurface because they are stored in the online database. For us there is no difference between a rifle, a box, a room or home - these are all items in the same item system "

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    Some points from some user translations:
    • buildable homesteads... power plants, defense towers and radar interference transmitter. This also allows farming on planets wherever you want.
    • small part of better netcode is already in 2.6, improvement comes with 2.6.1 and the huge part comes with 3.0
    • lockable ships are coming with 3.0 
    • Planets have a set of buildings and if a designer places them and builds a small outpost, NPCs populate the area automatically.
    • 3.0 schedule plan is announced for January.
    • 3.0 needs an air traffic control because there can't land 1000 ships simultaneously. This is still to do.
    • C.R. didn't want to name a date for 3.0
    • Still working on the big ships for SQ42 so that every dialogue is looking like a cutscene (lights and shadows: thousands of them)
    • If he could make something different in the past, it would be: telling people and make more clear that with with the more strechtgolas and money the game would take longer.

There's a lot of other bits to be resumed. It seems 3.0 is not to expect very soon, but good news is rolling out better performance netcode-wise on 2.6.1. Yesterday the possibility of having one 2.7 update was also hinted, but unclear still.

Something that confused me was this:
    "Another point is Object Container streaming, "Roberts says. »Squadron 42 takes place in a complete, open the solar system, in which you can travel freely between the planets. But you can not have all the data at once in memory, but you need so-called containers containing certain areas. "

From said before SQ42 was meant to be a linear campaign, now put as open-world. Maybe it's both, like Mass Effect, the game world is open while the missions are linear.
    edited January 2017
    gervaise1 said:

(from the translation)

"There will be the opportunity for players to build their own homes or outposts" How is that possible, it leads immediately afterwards technically made "freight - ie crates or boxes, which are made for example in the cargo hold of a Freelancer - is stored in a persistent database.

»The same technique is used when a player discards important items at a location on a planet. You can go away and come back later and the items will resurface because they are stored in the online database. For us there is no difference between a rifle, a box, a room or home - these are all items in the same item system "

This is valid if you don't like things like privacy or some kind of organisation - Playerhousing means way more than just dropping an asset and tell the server that there is now a new asset to render (like it would do with a gun)

This kind of mentality leads to promises like "Playerhousing" without knowing all the backend - which then leads to R&D - which will lead (because its not like dropping an item) leads to delays - which will lead to not happy customers and broken dates.
    And the end result could be a half baked implementation. CR is thinking way to simple on complex implementations that affects other game modules especially if other players are involved.

The cake is a lie.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited January 2017
    • If he could make something different in the past, it would be: telling people and make more clear that with with the more strechtgolas and money the game would take longer.
    He makes it sounds like it's the fault of the backers.  He's in charge and directs what happens.  He could have easily reached the goal of launching a S42 simply by only focusing on that goal.  He never really had to add all that other stuff.  S42 parts 2 and 3 could've had the latest updated added to them, after he launched SC.  One goal at a time.  

I would have liked him to say;
    • If he could make something different in the past, it would be: focusing on one completed goal at a time.

Someone once said, "Having more money doesn't improve character, it reveals it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited January 2017
    This is a resume from a translation not his words, his "google translated" words were:
    "If I go back and would not change a thing, then, that I would say much more clearly: The more Stretch Goals and features are in it, the more complicated it is, the longer it will take," 

The translation is derpy as you can see, though it's around saying the same; all those stretch goals back then but the estimated release date kept untouched.

As for a completed goal at a time, SC since the start was this "several games in one"; but I do agree segregate something like SQ42 alone to be released first would have focused the development..
    MaxBacon said:
    This is a resume from a translation not his words, his "google translated" words were:
    "If I go back and would not change a thing, then, that I would say much more clearly: The more Stretch Goals and features are in it, the more complicated it is, the longer it will take," 

The translation is derpy as you can see, though it's around saying the same; all those stretch goals back then but the estimated release date kept untouched.
    So in learning from the past he just doesn't give release dates anymore?  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    MaxBacon said:

From said before SQ42 was meant to be a linear campaign, now put as open-world. Maybe it's both, like Mass Effect, the game world is open while the missions are linear.
    You can still have a linear story in an "open world" game. The plot simply doesn't progress unless certain steps are completed or events triggered.
    edited January 2017
    So in learning from the past he just doesn't give release dates anymore?  
    As it currently stands it's leaning towards that:
    - SC has no release date.
    - SQ42 has a release date of 2017, but he already admitted the possibility that it might not.
    - He decided to go the same way when asked for 3.0 .

It is a good thing to manage expectations to avoid backers from expecting things as SQ42 to be just around the corner.
      Stretchgoals won't delay the project.
      Did I already mention player housing and factories on planets?
    ???

The cake is a lie.

You can still have a linear story in an "open world" game. The plot simply doesn't progress unless certain steps are completed or events triggered.
    Yeah that reminds me a bit of how Far Cry plays out. It might not be that open though it might allow to travel around to other places to take side-missions and such. 
    I really like the overall intent of the project,  I just hope CR has a strong end-game.  

edited January 2017
    some screens from that article, rest on http://imgur.com/gallery/j7dx7

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    No one should believe anything Roberts says. The man is a shitehawk.

gervaise1 said:

(from the translation)

This is valid if you don't like things like privacy or some kind of organisation - Playerhousing means way more than just dropping an asset and tell the server that there is now a new asset to render (like it would do with a gun)

This kind of mentality leads to promises like "Playerhousing" without knowing all the backend - which then leads to R&D - which will lead (because its not like dropping an item) leads to delays - which will lead to not happy customers and broken dates.
    And the end result could be a half baked implementation. CR is thinking way to simple on complex implementations that affects other game modules especially if other players are involved.
    Not at all. The stuff you talk about can - and presumably will - be handled.

The end result is that an asset will be "dropped" (rendered). Same deal with flora/fauna as well. All the stuff about are you seeing your house, can you go in it etc. doesn't change that at the end of the day an asset is "dropped". And if the interview had been with someone working on that aspect of the game that sort of stuff could have been discussed.

Now maybe you expect CR to be discussing low level details I don't. This is a low enough imo - suggests to me he has been in design meetings in which it has been discussed. 

Stretchgoals won't delay the project.
      Did I already mention player housing and factories on planets?
    ???
    Context.
    A less than perfect translation from German. 
    Not uncommon when doing a long interview to have a list of "stuff" to cover.

Its a good interview - a good link. For example: "Some 35,000 supporters from voting, 55 percent are for more Stretch Goals, 26 percent opposed and 20 percent other it does not matter."  Although I firmly believe that most people have no interest in what happens during development; they only get interested when a game releases. 

Must have missed it, can you please link me the Player Housing on planet stretchgoal?

Well Basically CR is making things up on the go to impress the readers ... "See we'll have player housing too and it is no problem at all to implement it with our item system."

False marketing and smoke and mirrors everywhere in this project.

The cake is a lie.

edited January 2017
    Must have missed it, can you please link me the Player Housing on planet stretchgoal?
    There wasn't. 

It is why it's also not set to be delivered by release. The fact they want to do player housing and talk about it, on overall design talks does not meant you'll get all of that by the so-called "1.0".

There is no lies or false marketing here, this was already announced before at Gamescon. The Erin Roberts interview as well others also talked about this.

Hell if a Stretch goal had to exist for a feature to exist on SC... the majority of SC's planned features wouldn't exist because they weren't part of any stretch goals lol
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    One point of contention - talking about 32 bit vs 64 bit - most are now 64 bit from like 20134 on. As the textures, etc. need more memory and 32 bit is maxed out at 4 GB's.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

"We've looked at 3.0 and said. We need that and that and that and then we found: Damn, that's more than has so many complete game. Therefore, we develop a detailed plan for all tasks and subtasks.

So, they are still going to make the plan of what is missing/necessary to complete 3.0. The same 3.0 that was supposed to be out in 3 months time by Dec 19th? Nice.

Ever seems Update 3.0 and the associated features to have had a significant impact on the displacement of the single-player campaign at 2017.

Ongoing progress in 3.0 is going to have a huge impact in Squaron 42, the game that already had all missions completely greyboxed and that was supposed to have a vertical slice out last month. Nice.

...From a comment on reddit.

Chris Roberts is so full of shit.

..Cake..

edited January 2017
    sgel said:

So, they are still going to make the plan of what is missing/necessary to complete 3.0. The same 3.0 that was supposed to be out in 3 months time by Dec 19th? Nice.

This is meant as one update this page:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

They'll have to get input for all the departments and so forfh to be able to do the in-depth report per section of the development. This includes the % of completion of each task.

Side of that, I stopped caring about dates long ago; I care about progress and the next updates upon the alpha. Peeps obsessing with dates + SC is unhealthy at best, it will happen when it does really.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited January 2017
    sgel said:

...From a comment on reddit.

Chris Roberts is so full of shit.

And it is so true.
    I'm sure he's a nice guy and he's made some fun games but if he thinks anyone is listening to him, whether that's a reporter or a bunch of people at a convention, he will talk an absolute load of shite.
    He will say whatever comes into his head (that he thinks is cool) and whatever he thinks people want to hear. It's almost like he's looking for brownie points or some crap.

Hah talk about good timing, this just got posted in another thread I was looking at.

edited January 2017
    Hah talk about good timing, this just got posted in another thread I was looking at.

How can you handle several threads of the same discussions about SC at once? Now I see you go there then relay stuff from Frontier's back here. :D

That's some unhealthy level of stalking, 9 out of 10 doctors would agree. One forum is enough for me! Dscuss the same thing on several forums at once is O.o  xD
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:

Side of that, I stopped caring about dates long ago;
    I'm sure that's very convenient in your crusade to defend SC.

It's not like you would ever hold CIG accountable for any of their lies.

Buy an Idris.

..Cake..

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    MaxBacon said:
    some screens from that article, rest on http://imgur.com/gallery/j7dx7

Might just be me but these look tampered with.. Especially the middle one. It feels like the player character was shopped in.