Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World size

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
I tought the world at release was rather small

How big is the current world compared to release, with all the expansions over the last months?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    With the addition of Valencia it has almost doubled, but majority of people tend to play still in the old map as XP and loot table is screwed in Valencia.
    If you only played at release they also added Mediah which is also half the size of the initial map.
    So Basically with Mediah the added an extra 50% and with Valencia they almost doubled the size of Old World + Mediah.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    ste2000 said:
    With the addition of Valencia it has almost doubled, but majority of people tend to play still in the old map as XP and loot table is screwed in Valencia.
    If you only played at release they also added Mediah which is also half the size of the initial map.
    So Basically with Mediah the added an extra 50% and with Valencia they almost doubled the size of Old World + Mediah.

so thats 3 times the orriginal size...

wwith more comming this year?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

ste2000 said:

so thats 3 times the orriginal size...

wwith more comming this year?

Pretty much.
    Here is a current Map:
    Red is the original World, Blue is Mediah and White is Valencia.

httpiimgurcomEZXI91Hpng

They will add anoither Continent at the end of the month.
    The next Magoria Expansion coming Jan 25 is mainly Naval content but they will add a new continent Haso Kingdom with Asian themed structures.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Can you give it to me in WoW terms? How big is the current available world map compared to... lets say Eastern kingdoms.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    It is a pretty massive world, without fast travel and such you'll be on long travels sometimes.The Mangoria expansion adds a new continent soon.

Then with the Dark Elf the area under that Caltheon is going to be unlocked. So the game map is big and gets bigger O.o
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    ste2000 said:
    With the addition of Valencia it has almost doubled
    About right indeed. But with the T7/8 horses the world is now smaller than ever. I run from Altinova to Trent in less than 5 minutes now, and that's without the use of the slide/insta accell exploit...
    edited January 2017
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Can you give it to me in WoW terms? How big is the current available world map compared to... lets say Eastern kingdoms.
    It's difficult to give you an estimate as in BDO there is no fast travel and it takes ages to go from one place to another (So it might feel bigger than it is)
    If I have to guess I would say the current map is 1.5 times Easter Kingdoms, but that doesn't count the Sea Map and it's Islands, if we count that (which is also content) it's probably the size of the original WoW map.

Anyway it's big enough that sometimes you wished it was smaller.
    If you get my drift.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Reizla said:
    ste2000 said:
    About right indeed. But with the T7/8 horses the world is now smaller than ever. I run from Altinova to Trent in less than 5 minutes now, and that's without the use of the slide/insta accell exploit...
    I only have a Donkey that moves at a slower speed than my character.
  • jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    question: ---*
    i played like 1 month after release and some how got bored very fast. dont realy know why maybe it wasent pollished enough for me.
    the one big thing i was looking forward was sailing the ocean with a boat doing some whale hunts n stuff but back then it wasent implemented yet.
                          *--> so is it now?
    Reizla said:
    ste2000 said:
    Yep but T7/T8 Horses with Sprint are very difficult to get, but when you do they are unrealistically fast (more like a Ferrari than a real horse).
    So with a fast horse the world might feel smaller.
    But it is actually quite big, horses are not supposed to be that fast :p

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited January 2017
    Faster horses really diminish the size of the map which is sad really because you appreciate the game best when you're running since even the pop in thing is not even there when you run. The saddest thing is as you become more wealthy and experienced you will have less opportunity to just stop and smell the roses because you're rushing about on your fast horse or simply on auto path.

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162

The latest area (highlighted in green) has been released a while back on KR server, this will probably be available in the West in a few months.

And then there's the area far to the North-West, it can be seen on the map but not yet opened.

edited January 2017
    DMKano said:
    No matter how big the map is - 99% of the end game happens at less than a handful of  small spots in the game.

The vast majority of Valencia for example is empty of all players because XP/mobs sucks there, so nobody goes there.

So Sausans/Pirates is where the action is still (which is kind of ridiculous) - and this doesn't change even after "water/naval" expansion.

Black Desert probably has the most detailed and most gorgeous world - and the vast majority of it is only seen by players maybe once or twice - as the "hot spots" for grinding are not spread out hence the world sits there unused.

BDO dev team "Lets build this amazing world - and then completely waste it"
    Unfortunately that's all correct.
    I don't know what Pearl Abyss is thinking but it is a well know issue within the community, there are only few spots that reward you with good XP and loot.
    And none of them are in Valencia.

But PA is famous for ignoring PvE content, they prefer focusing on PvP, but the Westeners seems to prefer PvE to PvP.
    I hope they will get the message one of those days, though I doubt it.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    jigo86 said:
    question: ---*
    i played like 1 month after release and some how got bored very fast. dont realy know why maybe it wasent pollished enough for me.
    the one big thing i was looking forward was sailing the ocean with a boat doing some whale hunts n stuff but back then it wasent implemented yet.
                          *--> so is it now?
    It has been in for a while now, yes.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    ste2000 said:
    DMKano said:
    No matter how big the map is - 99% of the end game happens at less than a handful of  small spots in the game.

The vast majority of Valencia for example is empty of all players because XP/mobs sucks there, so nobody goes there.

So Sausans/Pirates is where the action is still (which is kind of ridiculous) - and this doesn't change even after "water/naval" expansion.

Black Desert probably has the most detailed and most gorgeous world - and the vast majority of it is only seen by players maybe once or twice - as the "hot spots" for grinding are not spread out hence the world sits there unused.

BDO dev team "Lets build this amazing world - and then completely waste it"
    Unfortunately that's all correct.
    I don't know what Pearl Abyss is thinking but it is a well know issue within the community, there are only few spots that reward you with good XP and loot.
    And none of them are in Valencia.

But PA is famous for ignoring PvE content, they prefer focusing on PvP, but the Westeners seems to prefer PvE to PvP.
    I hope they will get the message one of those days, though I doubt it.

Very sad indeed. There's no arguing that this is true. =/
    Valencia, and the few dungeons the game has, are a complete waste of time compared to doing pirates or sausans. The devs seemed to have heard that people wanted more "challenging" content... but it seems to have never occurred to them that no one will bother with "challenging" content when the rewards are crap.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    And Valencia is from 90% just empty dessert :( Great game, I still play, but they could do so much more with it.