Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF online shooter rpg

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
edited January 2017 in LFGame
Kind of like War Thunder (progression wise) but with skills, loadouts, guns? It can be fps or third person. Kind of like The Division (but better?) or like Escape from Tarkov (which looks really awesome to me, but probably too hardcore). BF1 looks really cool, but it seems like the focus is more on the action without much time to plan your character development out. I don't mind grind. I don't mind paying for removing some grind. I don't like p2w, which to me is getting more powerful stuff that's only available in the store or super rare in the game. If you can grind for it or buy it, I'm fine with that.

I don't consider War Thunder p2w because (the last time I played it anyway) it was just pay or grind. Premium planes and stuff like that are just expensive but you can get just as good or better by grinding it out if you want to. I'm fine with that type of model.

I prefer not pre-set characters (like Dirty Bomb - which I may revisit) but it's not a deal breaker. The more customization possible, the better.

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well you have the Syfy channel one.. D something... 

And you have Destiny... 

And sort of Planetside 2

This have been a good conversation

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    tawess said:
    Well you have the Syfy channel one.. D something... 

Defiance?

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I think the Tabula Rasa shutdown has left a hole in the market.

Someone needs to release something similar. I miss it.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited January 2017
    I enjoyed Fallen Earth for awhile, mainly because it was such a niche game back then--not sure about the status right now.

P.S I'm willing to join ya whatever you end up playing. Suddenly felt the urge! :)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Played a bit of Destiny and enjoyed it. Probably will dip back into it. Thought about PS2 and may give it a look again. 

Escape from Tarkov just looks really cool, but I bet that game is going to attract a hardcore crowd for sure. 

I may give The Division another go, too. 

Thanks guys. If I start on something, I will let you know.

Cheers.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    The Division, BF1, SW BF, Destiny, Titanfall 1 & 2 are built around a B2P + paid DLC business model.
    • content is the focus designed (the devs hope) to be exciting - in the hope that you will want more.
    • progression is the filler intended to keep you playing until the next content drop; so the aim is for it to be interesting and attainable, not overly easy but no question of it being hard. So you have unlocking weapons and customizations - Titanfall does have "levelling" and unlocking Titan skills but its basically the same. 
    War Thunder is designed around a different model. Nothing to do with "pay to win" but all to do about having lots and lots of stuff to progress. So:
    • progression is the focus designed to be (the devs hope) interesting but not to easy to attain in the hope that you will buy unlocks from the cash shop;
    • content is the filler the aim being to make you want to do the progression.
    So - in simple terms - what you probably need to look at are games whose primary focus is a cash shop if you want depth of progression. For the business model drives the game design aims.

Of course there are hybrid model these days so the above is a simplification but always remember that - not unreasonably - all developers / companies are looking to get paid for their work / on-going costs.