Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Another one down.  The trash heap is getting bigger.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    (copy paste from same thread in general discussion, where I posted this too)

I agree with the comments on that page on massively. Shady as all hell.

The entire fiasco of The Repopulation has been a total scam.

early access. okay fine, pretty ordinary

VERY SOON after release "after years of working on this, within weeks we came to the conclusion of needing a new engine"...wtf? SCAM. They knew full well after 1+ year of working what the engine could and could not do. And within weeks of release, maybe 2-3 months at most...they realized they couldn't use the engine? Con artists to the max.

Release Fragmented to support The Repopulation. Support on it quickly drops, not like The Repopulation at all...quick cash in with survival craze. Funny it came out when survival games were all super hyped up...AND must have been in development for longer than before The Repopulation released. Since Fragmented didn't come out very long after Repopulation shut down. Con artists to the max

Now sold to another company, a no name company I never heard of. 

This game is a bigger scam than Dark and Light was years ago

Don't buy this game, at all. Its run by complete con artists that full well they were releasing an early alpha that they couldn't support on the engine, making fragmented as an escape or more cash in, when Fragmented released soon after. They also knew the engine far longer than the games release, and suddenly "didn't know it couldn't work properly with what we wanted"? and they had many months/years of work on the engine? NOPE! Doesn't work like that.

Big fat con artists looking for a quick buck.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    (copy paste from same thread in general discussion, where I posted this too)

I agree with the comments on that page on massively. Shady as all hell.

The entire fiasco of The Repopulation has been a total scam.

early access. okay fine, pretty ordinary

VERY SOON after release "after years of working on this, within weeks we came to the conclusion of needing a new engine"...wtf? SCAM. They knew full well after 1+ year of working what the engine could and could not do. And within weeks of release, maybe 2-3 months at most...they realized they couldn't use the engine? Con artists to the max.

Release Fragmented to support The Repopulation. Support on it quickly drops, not like The Repopulation at all...quick cash in with survival craze. Funny it came out when survival games were all super hyped up...AND must have been in development for longer than before The Repopulation released. Since Fragmented didn't come out very long after Repopulation shut down. Con artists to the max

Now sold to another company, a no name company I never heard of. 

This game is a bigger scam than Dark and Light was years ago

Don't buy this game, at all. Its run by complete con artists that full well they were releasing an early alpha that they couldn't support on the engine, making fragmented as an escape or more cash in, when Fragmented released soon after. They also knew the engine far longer than the games release, and suddenly "didn't know it couldn't work properly with what we wanted"? and they had many months/years of work on the engine? NOPE! Doesn't work like that.

Big fat con artists looking for a quick buck.
    I got lucky and bought it on steam, played for an hour and saw the state of it and immediately asked and got my refund.

It is no way the successor to SWG alot of vets wanted, and they will have to make a huge set of improvements if they hope for people to want to try it out again.
  • VaultarnVaultarn Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Agree with what has been said here.  Unfortunately I backed this.  I have backed several other things as well, not one has officially released.  I very much doubt I will ever back another kickstarter/project again
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Vaultarn said:
    Agree with what has been said here.  Unfortunately I backed this.  I have backed several other things as well, not one has officially released.  I very much doubt I will ever back another kickstarter/project again
    The only game I ever paid into pre-launch was Mount&Blade.  They let you play a real trial of that game before purchase, though... so I didn't walk blindly into the mist on that one.

MMOs just require entirely too much work and dedication to place faith in some nobodies to grind one out all the way to release.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Not surprised, devs were total scumbags.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wow, didn't see this coming.  Seemed like a great idea at the time.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VaultarnVaultarn Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Lokero said:
    Vaultarn said:
    The only game I ever paid into pre-launch was Mount&Blade.  They let you play a real trial of that game before purchase, though... so I didn't walk blindly into the mist on that one.

MMOs just require entirely too much work and dedication to place faith in some nobodies to grind one out all the way to release.
    There are a couple I've backed which are still deeply into development, but I see them actually getting to release.  However now I realise I've jumped in too quickly with some, had gotten carried away with the hype.

Live and learn.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I wanted this one so badly.  Was excited to play it early on but it was in such an early state that I could not drag myself to keep playing it.  Was sad to hear about the engine change and felt that was a terrible move and now this...  heartbreak.

Even worse, this hurts all indie devs who might use kickstarter in the future.  I backed 4 games and now 3 of them are dead and Star Citizen wont be coming out until the late in the 2020's.  I wont even look at another kickstarter game at this point.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    "Idea Fabrik PLC acquires from Above and Beyond Technologies, Inc. the Science Fiction Sandbox MMORPG "The Repopulation", a craft and combat game, to bring it online in the first quarter 2017."

Does this mean they are back to HeroEngine again? >.<
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    edited January 2017
    "Idea Fabrik PLC acquires from Above and Beyond Technologies, Inc. the Science Fiction Sandbox MMORPG "The Repopulation", a craft and combat game, to bring it online in the first quarter 2017."

Idea Fabrik owns the Hero Engine, so yes they are back to the Hero Engine...:(

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kumapon said:

Idea Fabrik owns the Hero Engine, so yes they are back to the Hero Engine...:(

Well in light of that, now the game is more likely to complete, but not sure if the final outcome is going to be what I dreamed since I was a little girl. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    So are they offering refunds?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Asheram said:
    They should.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    Well damn. I backed this game as well and had been hopeful their UE work was further along. I thought the whole impetus to switch to UE was due to financial instability of Idea Fabrik so did not see this one coming. Ultimately, I guess this means someone is actively working on the game which is...something I guess.

First TuG went pretty silent. Next RePop did similar (not counting Fragmented) followed by this news. Here's hoping CU doesn't make the hat-trick for my crowd-funding misadventures....

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    Summary of the situation:

- Backed- up repop
    - choice by the devs to use hero engine
    - game closes due to hero engine closes
    - devs here working on another game fragmented
    - devs telling here.. that they are imporing assets into unreal engine have patience.
    - repop being sold to another company
    - hero engine again being used.. launching the game in the same crappy state.

If you wanne fck us joshua halls @ least take me to dinner first.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear that IdeaFabrik somehow wrangled control of TR from the original devs.

The Repopulation was the headline game for Hero Engine. Having it yanked and moved to UE would have been a body-blow for IdeaFabrik and their Hero Engine. They desperately needed it back.

The deal that IdeaFabrik offers indie devs is very sweet. The indie project gets everything virtually free: billing, accounts, dev and production server hosting, etc. It's a total package. But beware of the small print....
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    Rhoklaw said:
    SBFord said:
    Asheram said:
    They should.
    I considered my $500 lost a long time ago and I really doubt I can get a refund from the acquiring company.
    I did ask a refund too some time ago when they started fragmented..

they said: sorry cant give you refund since you played the game already too long,
    response from me: show me ingame playtimes stats? because i havent played repop for more then 1 hour because of shit status.

no response anymore lawl

fckers

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The game was bound to fail.  It tried to be too realistic in some areas, especially the combat.  
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    SBFord said:
    Asheram said:
    They should.
    Highly unlikely.

IdeaFabrik will probably "honour" all earlier purchases and KS contributions, without offering refund options. They will argue that the development is continuing from where it stopped at the end of 2015, just with a new dev team. 

There's a very high probability that many of the original TR backers would opt for refunds if they were offered. I doubt IdeaFabrik can afford to lose that much money.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    There is a very good reason why these sorts of projects fail and most often it has nothing to do with the project being a scam, its that the odds of success are extremely low. Everyone knew that these developer had limited experience, little funding and repopulation was a really ambitious game that would be hard to deliver for developers that have experience and financial backing.

We will have a lot more of these projects failing before we have one that eventually succeed on delivering their vision.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Shaigh said:
    There is a very good reason why these sorts of projects fail and most often it has nothing to do with the project being a scam, its that the odds of success are extremely low. Everyone knew that these developer had limited experience, little funding and repopulation was a really ambitious game that would be hard to deliver for developers that have experience and financial backing.

We will have a lot more of these projects failing before we have one that eventually succeed on delivering their vision.
    o yea i hope dual universe works out : )
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Lot of these kickstarter games are due to fail and I would not be surprised if this is just the first of many. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    SBFord said:
    Asheram said:
    They should.

I agree; however, it was the individuals "choice" to back it....no one forced them, or promised anything.  The nature of the "kickstarter" beast.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Wouldn't surprise me in the least to hear that IdeaFabrik somehow wrangled control of TR from the original devs.

The Repopulation was the headline game for Hero Engine. Having it yanked and moved to UE would have been a body-blow for IdeaFabrik and their Hero Engine. They desperately needed it back.

The deal that IdeaFabrik offers indie devs is very sweet. The indie project gets everything virtually free: billing, accounts, dev and production server hosting, etc. It's a total package. But beware of the small print....
    The original devs are saying it wasnt a hostile take over but that doesn't make me any happier.

https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12567&start=10#p120862

"There has never been lawsuit between the two companies (or us and anyone for that matter). This isn't a hostile takeover or anything of that nature. This was a deal which seemed to make the most sense for everyone involved at this time.

We understand that some players are going to be disappointed by this, but this is also something that many players have been asking for and voicing their opinions in the reviews on Steam. This move ensures that Repop will get back online in a timely manner. If we had not made this move the fate of the game would have been determined entirely by the success of the console launch. In the best case scenario that would have meant being back in testing this Summer, and the worst case scenario was unthinkable."