Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want the feeling of pure danger

13

Comments

  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Mavein said:
    I used to play on Mith Mar server in EQ1 and danger of losing your corpse made the game a lot of fun haha.

    I remember hearing that even the GMs wouldn't be able to get your corpse back from under Vox....so after a wipe we had to wait for Afterlife to go in and kill her so we could retrieve our corpses.

    Then there were the Plane of Hate corpse recovery's that could take all weekend....so yea...there was no dicking around during raid time or you could, in fact, loose your corpse with all your gear.

    Good times.
    Yeah I remember on one of the early raid attempts on Nagafen  in solb, we lost and my body ended up under his foot. Anyway as I had to work the next day, I gave a friend permission to drag my corpse and somehow the next day it was at the zone. I got my revenge as we killed him the next attempt which was a first for the server.  I think the early EQ1 death penalty is fine with the exception that after a certain amount of time (24 hours or whatever seems fair) the corpse should pop up at a graveyard but with a much more severe penalty than if you recovered it.  I believe it is necessary that you fear death in the game.

     I remember once in hate they some how they messed up aggro in an update and made bards super aggro. It was so bad that I could follow along behind the raid, not in a group, not doing anything and any mobs pulled would instantly aggro on me. Finally i had to let them drag my corpse along with the raid and res me if any bard loot dropped.
  • kalrarkalrar Member UncommonPosts: 35
    piss off your mother in law ...
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,025
    edited January 2017
    Dullahan said:
    Dullahan said:
    Distopia said:
    Dullahan said:
    Wildstar was a totally different game, and it's failure had nothing to do with death penalty.
    Their failure was focusing on a concept of hardcore and only hardcore,  as well as listening to an echo chamber of hardcore....
    The big difference, and reason why Wildstar is irrelevant, is that Pantheon is not a hardcore exclusive game. The death penalty alone did not make EQ a hardcore-only game, nor will it with Pantheon.

    If it has EQ1 death penalties it absolutely will fall flat on it's face.  I would bet a grand on that.
    Let's arrange a way to make that bet.

    Let's talk when we know what they're doing.  They still haven't made any hard decisions on that, so its irrelevant atm.  I Highly doubt they will even do it.
  • KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 507
    Kyleran said:
    Kilsin said:
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:
    I cant think of anything else that would terrify OP more.

    I can. A cash shop you access from a saddlebag on a pink unicorn mount followed by a blue kitten pet. 
    Uh oh, should we remove things like this from the game? ;)
    As long as you leave the cat/rabbit ears costumes in, sure.
    Whew, that will save the devs some work! haha ;)

    Community & Web Manager | Visionary Realms, Inc.
    Visit our Development Website. | Facebook | Twitter

  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,833
    edited January 2017
    I want the same things apparently as some here but NOT the way SOE did it for years.

    The ONLY way SOE created that "danger" feeling was by spamming a room ,small area with 20 linked mobs,which is also a reason i don't like specific classes designed to just stop the mad zerg attacks.
    I like controlled,relaxing danger,tough battles that are more about thinking than gear based or spam based.

    I can think of the perfect reason these guys never got it right in the past.Remember when that room of 16 goblins in for example Runnyeye would swarm your tank?Ok now think about Rogue classes,how are you suppose to flank/behind attack mobs that are dying faster than you can move?Then if you don't kill the swarm quickly it overwhelms your tank so it is a lose lose design and imo a terrible one at that.
    So has this team of vets learned anything bout the past or so high on their past work,that we see repeat bad designs?

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,512
    Wizardry said:
    I want the same things apparently as some here but NOT the way SOE did it for years.

    The ONLY way SOE created that "danger" feeling was by spamming a room ,small area with 20 linked mobs,which is also a reason i don't like specific classes designed to just stop the mad zerg attacks.
    I like controlled,relaxing danger,tough battles that are more about thinking than gear based or spam based.

    I can think of the perfect reason these guys never got it right in the past.Remember when that room of 16 goblins in for example Runnyeye would swarm your tank?Ok now think about Rogue classes,how are you suppose to flank/behind attack mobs that are dying faster than you can move?Then if you don't kill the swarm quickly it overwhelms your tank so it is a lose lose design and imo a terrible one at that.
    So has this team of vets learned anything bout the past or so high on their past work,that we see repeat bad designs?

    Good....This is spot on


    Controlled, relaxing danger.....This is a great way to describe it !


    Example:
    Remember Scarlet Monastery in World of Warcraft ?..... VERY FEW KNEW HOW TO PLAY IT !

    This dungeon had 4 separate parts ranging from level 30-39, yet done properly the entire thing could be done with a group of 35s, as long as a group understands what's really going on !

    Two things happen in this dungeon with the human mobs:

    1) The human fighters run away, and bring others. THEY NEEDED TO BE PULLED TO THE GROUP.
    2) The human casters stand their ground.  THEY NEEDED TO BE PULLED TO A PREVIOUS ROOM.

    This was tactical. If you didn't know this you were fighting everything.   This could be done the easy way (level 35s) or the hard way (level 40s).


  • CaseyxCaseyx Member UncommonPosts: 15
    ste2000 said:
    Kilsin said:
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:
    I cant think of anything else that would terrify OP more.

    I can. A cash shop you access from a saddlebag on a pink unicorn mount followed by a blue kitten pet. 
    Uh oh, should we remove things like this from the game? ;)
    Hell no.
    And please make sure there is a Mankini available with a Mana Buff, make it available in different colors please.

    httpiebayimgcomimagesg6qsAAOSweW5U2YKPs-l400jpg

    Make this the default outfit you have on when you respawn. Having to wear this running back to my corpse would be terrifying!

    Caseyx

  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,512
    How about if you die, your group can give you a Cleveland Steamer.


    Yes ?.....No ?
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I think any kind of PvE danger can easily be overcome with a little time. The real danger comes from open world PvP.
  • gerousgerous Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited January 2017
    I want to have that old feeling of danger, possibly worst than ever before.  

    All you need to get the feeling of pure dread and danger is to invest a large portion of your cash into this game. :) Then you will know pure terror.

    Seriously though, I am hoping for the best, expecting the worst. I still can't forgive for Vanguard, so will wait till launch and initial reviews before giving Brad any cash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Tiamat64 said:
    They should add huge death penalties to the game, like losing a day's worth of exp at higher levels as well as needing to go back to your corpse naked in order to get all your gear back!
    Corpse runs are a bit much.  I'm down with a hefty xp loss, gear being severely damaged, even a small chance at a piece of random gear dropping, etc.  But if I am dead with no gear, don't make me rely on other people to help me do a CR or I lose all my stuff.  Sucks but I got to be at work in the morning bro.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    There are plenty of times when someone could get their corpse on their own. It's an MMORPG though, and that should mean sometimes you have to rely on other people. If people want a game where they can do everything on their own, try a single player title.


  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Must be really nice to live in a part of the world, where there are no wars, no random or deliberate deaths, no sickness to fear, no old age to worry about.

     Can I move in to where you guys live? Cause you seem to wanna find danger in games, while I play games to escape the reality of those things. :o  
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    How about you have to register your credit card when you join the game, and when you die you have £5 debited out of your account. 

  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 281
    The death penalty in early EQ would be fine. It was one of the things that help build the community that existed in that game early on at least. The only time I had an issue getting my corpse in early EQ was once when the mobs got bugged at the zone in point of a dungeon. You actually would die before you finished zoning in. I did have an issue that the GM refused to help even though this was IMO a game bug. Anyway I did finally get my corpse but it took a raid size force.
     So the GMs should actually help when game bugs prevent you from getting your corpse and I hope they do in this game.  
     Also I think your corpse should appear at some graveyard after a certain amount of time but with a much more severe penalty as I don't think anyone should ever lose all their equipment to death. Lots of things can prevent you from recovering your corpse such as lost of internet, your computer may blow up, ect
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    TENTING said:
    Must be really nice to live in a part of the world, where there are no wars, no random or deliberate deaths, no sickness to fear, no old age to worry about.

     Can I move in to where you guys live? Cause you seem to wanna find danger in games, while I play games to escape the reality of those things. :o  
    Wow, so if people find that death in a video game enhances their experience, they must therefore be delusional or living in an alternate universe.

    Condescend much?


  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    edited January 2017
    Dullahan said:
    There are plenty of times when someone could get their corpse on their own. It's an MMORPG though, and that should mean sometimes you have to rely on other people. If people want a game where they can do everything on their own, try a single player title.
    The problem with that is, what about when someone can't find the help they need? That's not being penalized due to game-play mechanics, that's being penalized because of shortfalls in the system itself. Needing a group to complete content is one thing, needing a group or being penalized/punished because you can't find one at that exact time is something else entirely. 

    A scenario for the purpose of example. A gaming group spends hours working at clearing a outpost or dungeon, one dies near the end. It's 12 am and all have to work in the morning, yet it would take hours to get back to that corpse. Player can't find any other groups going at the time. He just lost XP/items because the system is archaic and doesn't account for real situations devs have learned from for years.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,413

    I think the death penalty wasn't so much the issue, it was moreso that you could lose levels.  I think if people knew they couldn't lose levels, you can still have a reasonably harsh death penalty and it won't cause extreme butthurt.

    The simple fact is that without some reasonably harsh penalty for getting killed, it removes any sense of fear or danger, as well as having to think through or plan your actions.  If you know that when you die you're just gonna pop up with all your stuff, lose an inconsequential amount of XP and go along your way, then why should you have to plan the fight, why should you have to learn how to play better, why should you have to decide whether to go to the more dangerous dungeon with better loot than the easier dungeon with easier loot.

    It boggles my mind that people sit here and come into this forum and argue that pantheon should be like every other MMO in existence.  The reason this game exists is to get away from the faceroll content, the teleporting around, the lack of class interdependency etc etc.

    Does it need to be as harsh and unforgiving as early EQ was?  No, but it needs to be closer to that than it is to modern MMOs.  Otherwise just hang up your hats, or release another POS cash shop laden game that gets forgotten about in 3 months.

    "The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

    - Friedrich Nietzsche

  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    edited January 2017
    Hrimnir said:

    I think the death penalty wasn't so much the issue, it was moreso that you could lose levels.  I think if people knew they couldn't lose levels, you can still have a reasonably harsh death penalty and it won't cause extreme butthurt.

    The simple fact is that without some reasonably harsh penalty for getting killed, it removes any sense of fear or danger, as well as having to think through or plan your actions.  If you know that when you die you're just gonna pop up with all your stuff, lose an inconsequential amount of XP and go along your way, then why should you have to plan the fight, why should you have to learn how to play better, why should you have to decide whether to go to the more dangerous dungeon with better loot than the easier dungeon with easier loot.

    It boggles my mind that people sit here and come into this forum and argue that pantheon should be like every other MMO in existence.  The reason this game exists is to get away from the faceroll content, the teleporting around, the lack of class interdependency etc etc.

    Does it need to be as harsh and unforgiving as early EQ was?  No, but it needs to be closer to that than it is to modern MMOs.  Otherwise just hang up your hats, or release another POS cash shop laden game that gets forgotten about in 3 months.

    No one is saying it has to be like every MMO. Most are simply sharing concerns about how they handle the negative effects (unintended consequences) that have been long standing in some of these designs being proposed. There were lots of system related problems with certain features of older games, hence why many of those systems were replaced or completely done away with as they had found better ways to represent those things, or they were found to be undesirable. . 

    What's truly mind boggling is thinking it has to be the other extreme that folks are asking for (modern games as you describe them).. That's essentially burying your head in the sand and missing what is actually being said. 

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Losing levels is absolutely necessary, otherwise rushing to max level is even more encouraged, as if we need anymore of that.

    People need to stop crying about death penalties. Here an idea, pay the **** attention and maybe not die? I want people to think twice when trying to feign death through an entire dungeon to kill the boss. I want people to think twice before jumping in some pit with no ladder. People should be afraid of accidentally aggroing a wandering dragon. All this and more are the reasons this game even exists in the first place. Take that away and you're left with another watered down MMO, where you press autorun while playing with your phone.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Losing levels is absolutely necessary, otherwise rushing to max level is even more encouraged, as if we need anymore of that.

    People need to stop crying about death penalties. Here an idea, pay the **** attention and maybe not die? I want people to think twice when trying to feign death through an entire dungeon to kill the boss. I want people to think twice before jumping in some pit with no ladder. People should be afraid of accidentally aggroing a wandering dragon. All this and more are the reasons this game even exists in the first place. Take that away and you're left with another watered down MMO, where you press autorun while playing with your phone.
    That really depends on the leveling speed.If it takes 9 months (with old school time spent) then level-loss does not really have to be included. With fast leveling sure, that would mean that if you play well you level pretty fast while bad players never will get to max unless they spend all time grinding in a safe place.

    Personally though do I believe the loss of an equipped gear is way worse then the loss of XP level, you can always grind back XP and that is honestly not that hard, just time consuming. Replacing a great piece of gear is another matter, that cool item you got from a hard dungeon (which with hard death penalty is not something you would run every day) is way harder to replace.

    XP loss just means people will get back to camping spawn sites in groups, which honestly is rather easy, all you need is time.

    And losing a random item each time you die will get the effects you describe as well, without making it possible to get it back by an easy camping session.

    Of course, it do depend on how gear focused the game is. If gear matters little and is easy to get losing it would be no biggie but we all know Brad wouldn't design things that way.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    edited January 2017
    Losing levels is absolutely necessary, otherwise rushing to max level is even more encouraged, as if we need anymore of that.

    People need to stop crying about death penalties. Here an idea, pay the **** attention and maybe not die? I want people to think twice when trying to feign death through an entire dungeon to kill the boss. I want people to think twice before jumping in some pit with no ladder. People should be afraid of accidentally aggroing a wandering dragon. All this and more are the reasons this game even exists in the first place. Take that away and you're left with another watered down MMO, where you press autorun while playing with your phone.
    If the game is designed to kill you, you're going to die, paying attention or not. 


    Death penalties are fine, it's just certain death penalties are better than others. If you want XP loss/level loss, just implement those things, if you want item loss, implement it. There are much better ways to handle this than corpse runs. Level loss/Xp can be implemented across the board based on risk of the encounter, the harder the fight, the more penalty on death. Item loss can be handled through item degradation systems. I'd prefer just straight up loss, rather than a boring function like corpse runs. 

    I also like downtime causing effects like combat fatigue, health pool wounds etc, that grow worse over time, until healed. 

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson


  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    What does the length of leveling matter? People will still rush to max level to avoid the death penalty. Max level characters should fear death the most, not the least. Level loss ensures this.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Distopia said:
    If the game is designed to kill you, you're going to die, paying attention or not. 


    Death penalties are fine, it's just certain death penalties are better than others. If you want XP loss/level loss, just implement those things, if you want item loss, implement it. There are much better ways to handle this than corpse runs. Level loss/Xp can be implemented across the board based on risk of the encounter, the harder the fight, the more penalty on death. Item loss can be handled through item degradation systems. I'd prefer just straight up loss, rather than a boring function like corpse runs. 

    I also like downtime causing effects like combat fatigue, health pool wounds etc, that grow worse over time, until healed. 

    Design just to kill you is poor design, they can do that with GM commands. The game should be designed for immersion and fear of death is part of that. Harsh death penalties aren't there with the assumption you should never die, it's to encourage doing everything in your power to stop it.

    We don't need another MMO where max level toons run around with impunity, suiciding through dungeons because hey why not.
Sign In or Register to comment.