Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just saw the Razor prototype laptops got stolen. 2 in fact..

HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
edited January 2017 in Hardware
Which one of you nerds did it.

Adding  a link  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38565913

Someone in charge of them messed up but still. Won't these things phone home if ever connected online? Or be fairly easy to trace if they go online?

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Hulluck said:
    Won't these things phone home if ever connected online? Or be fairly easy to trace with help from Microsoft if they have unique Windows keys?
    Anyone smart enough to swipe them without the employees noticing would be smart enough to wipe or ditch the hard drive before plugging it into the internet.

Hulluck said:
    I honestly don't know how large scale companies handle Windows licensing.

People who steal laptops from trade shows probably aren't using licensed copies of Windows anyhow.  They download Windows from a torrent site and use an unlocker software that fools windows into thinking it's a legit copy.

At the end of the day they swiped two prototypes of something that Razer probably never intended to send into production.  Razer goes to trade shows with the car show mentality.  They unveil these exciting new concepts and everyone says "I want one!" and then they never actually make any, just like prototype cars at car shows that the manufacturers will never put into production in a bazillion years.
  • redcoreredcore Member UncommonPosts: 108
    trace them? nope. nothing like that. they were prototypes. they would never imagine that both laptops would be gone. kinda funny and embarrassing. they couldnt keep an eye on 2 BIG laptops...  /facepalm
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited January 2017
    H0urg1ass said:
    Hulluck said:
    Won't these things phone home if ever connected online? Or be fairly easy to trace with help from Microsoft if they have unique Windows keys?
    Anyone smart enough to swipe them without the employees noticing would be smart enough to wipe or ditch the hard drive before plugging it into the internet.

Hulluck said:
    I honestly don't know how large scale companies handle Windows licensing.

People who steal laptops from trade shows probably aren't using licensed copies of Windows anyhow.  They download Windows from a torrent site and use an unlocker software that fools windows into thinking it's a legit copy.

At the end of the day they swiped two prototypes of something that Razer probably never intended to send into production.  Razer goes to trade shows with the car show mentality.  They unveil these exciting new concepts and everyone says "I want one!" and then they never actually make any, just like prototype cars at car shows that the manufacturers will never put into production in a bazillion years.
    Yeah thought about that. The reason I edited a little before your post. Seems like getting out of the place was a tough on it's own. I do still find it hard to believe that there isn't something in these things to track them. There is videos of a average guy hiding one of those cell phone tracking programs inside Android on his phone. No matter what it can't be deleted. Even with a factory reset ect.  Intentionally had setup to get it stolen and spied on the guy who did it. Pretty cool video to watch. I'd think that a couple of prototypes would have something similar?  Then again who expects them to be stolen in front of so many camera's, I guess.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Good luck getting drivers.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    They must have distracted the geek who was guarding them with some pretty tits and an accomplice made off with the laptop. 3 monitors it must have been bulky.
    Chamber of Chains
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited January 2017
    Chances are whoever took them sold them in someplace like china so a manufacturer can reverse engineer them. Or they could just be misplaced which tends to happen from time to time.
    Cleffy said:
    Chances are whoever took them sold them in someplace like china so a manufacturer can reverse engineer them. Or they could just be misplaced which tends to happen from time to time.
    well looking at the laptop you really don't need to reverse engineer that.  Its very simple design any manufacturer could easily reproduce by looking at it.  
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited January 2017
    Ridelynn said:
    That is crazy.. WTF? Someone is eventually going to jail.  I sure wouldn't want that sentence to happen in a country where they execute people over drugs and such.  

Thank You for the update. I have not been keeping up with it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I liked the idea when I saw them, but I just knew I wasn't going to be able to afford them.

22K is a bit out of my range. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited January 2017
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Dammit, how do i remove that signature??

Sent from my Razer Valerie Laptop

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I guess the thieves weren't fooled by the prop.......

httpworth1000s3amazonawscomsubmissions414000414200_9830_1024x2000jpg

This is beginning to look more like a hoax or pr stunt.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    filmoret said:
    This is beginning to look more like a hoax or pr stunt.
    That is entirely possible, but given that the event puts the company in a pretty poor light, it was either very ill conceived PR stunt (and the person who dreamed it up should not only be fired, but run out on a rail), or not a hoax and just some lax security and an embarassing situation that Razer decided for some stupid reason to make public.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Pretty funny stuff all in all ..lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.