Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42 release still nowhere even though first chapter was promised in beginning of 2015

12346»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Oh there are certainly valid concerns about the game. Sadly they get muddied and disarmed by the more fanatic anti-fans that try to turn every little fart in the game's progress into a giant raging volcano of truth and justification that their little claims of doom and gloom are correct. You can only pull the Chicken Little routine  so many times before people just stop listening. Which again is a shame as I feel there are some very valid concerns about the games progress.

I see muddying from both groups, not just the fanatic anti-fans.
    You see a large amount of vocal whiteknights downplaying valid concerns and attempts of discussing the effects of decisions at every turn. Both groups are as bad as each other in my opinion, they just turn the game into drama rather than allow any chance for reasonable discourse.

This.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Played SWG off and on from launch til close and left from time to time and never lost a character.  
    That's what I read about, nobody seems to have reported they had characters deleted. But officially they said after 6 months they could get deleted.

However once you think on it, it's an easy conclusion they just said such to make people keep paying the subscription, even if not playing.
    The whole losing character malarkey for SWG comes from the early days when people saw how broken and unfinished the game was and started leaving in droves. The boneheads in PR at SOE decided the best way to keep people from canceling their sub was to make the absurdly childish threat that "If you cancel your subscription, we can't guarantee your character will still be there if you decide to come back." Needless to say it was a load of horse elbows and nobody lost anything. Well except for SOE which lost every sherd of credibility with me for the rest of their pointless career.
    Indeed. And anyone with half a brain would have known just what a load of horseshit that strong-arm implied threat of deletion was. Apparently some people still thought, 10 years later, that it wasn't an idle threat but something that is the norm in the sub system.

Hell, even the pro-F2P, anti-sub trolls in these forums know better than to use that as their example of why subs are unfair.
    Yes, you are right. No game developer ended up deleting toons for that reason (as far as I know). But officially they never guaranteed that, and players back then had no reference like you have now.
    You are just talking with the wisdom of hindsight.

I don't care about the sub vs f2p issue , just about your over the top reaction to that guy. You either forgot about this, or never played a MMO back then.
    Yes we can all take advantage of hindsight. It's why neither in 2017 nor in 2013 I would have ever thought of using fear of character deletion as the example of why I won't be going with the sub model.

If you think laughing at idiotic comments is over the top, so be it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Oh there are certainly valid concerns about the game. Sadly they get muddied and disarmed by the more fanatic anti-fans that try to turn every little fart in the game's progress into a giant raging volcano of truth and justification that their little claims of doom and gloom are correct. You can only pull the Chicken Little routine  so many times before people just stop listening. Which again is a shame as I feel there are some very valid concerns about the games progress.

I see muddying from both groups, not just the fanatic anti-fans.
    You see a large amount of vocal whiteknights downplaying valid concerns and attempts of discussing the effects of decisions at every turn. Both groups are as bad as each other in my opinion, they just turn the game into drama rather than allow any chance for reasonable discourse.

Of course.

Hyperbole is countered with hyperbole, it is the way of the forums... :lol:

I've seen very few attempts at "reasonable discourse" regarding SC. Every "discussion" rapidly degenerates into mud-slinging and name-calling, because the OP in each case had a pre-set agenda that they were maneuvering into place.

There are no "valid concerns", only "concerns". It's all subjective, one man's "valid concern" is another man's "rubbish"...
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Of course.

Hyperbole is countered with hyperbole, it is the way of the forums... :lol:

I've seen very few attempts at "reasonable discourse" regarding SC. Every "discussion" rapidly degenerates into mud-slinging and name-calling, because the OP in each case had a pre-set agenda that they were maneuvering into place.

There are no "valid concerns", only "concerns". It's all subjective, one man's "valid concern" is another man's "rubbish"...

Poor choice of words on my part. When I was thinking of 'valid concerns' I had things like ship sales post launch, the side-effect of signiificantly increasing the time-to-earn etc in mind as opposed to 'concerns' for things like "Will I have 3 lasers on my Hornet?", "Can I play with my friend in the US?" etc

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Let me know when they stop buying mansions and taking luxury trips for me to care at this point. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    strykr619 said:
    Let me know when they stop buying mansions and taking luxury trips for me to care at this point. 

See the post from @MisterZebub a few posts back. This is what we're talking about people making wildly inaccurate, unsupported statements and, essentially, diluting conversation to the point of comic relief opposed to real, intelligent debate on real topics. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------