Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42 release still nowhere even though first chapter was promised in beginning of 2015

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    Kefo said:
    So they are planning on going pay to win? Awesome! 
    Are you pretending you didn't know the revenue generation model of the game?

Known for 4 years man: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/173901/#Comment_173901

And yeah he used the example of World of Tanks, and no wonder, it's one of the most successful MMO's around, generates 150$Million in just 4 months.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Kefo said:
     Erillion is adamant that you will only be able to buy skins
    Incorrect.

We also have heard about temporary tuning kits (=small stat boost), organization specific decals/colours,
    basic ship modules (=basic weapons, shields etc.), some cosmetic/decorative items (like posters for hangars etc.) and a few other things.

Have fun
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
     Erillion is adamant that you will only be able to buy skins
    Incorrect.

We also have heard about temporary tuning kits (=small stat boost), organization specific decals/colours,
    basic ship modules (=basic weapons, shields etc.), some cosmetic/decorative items (like posters for hangars etc.) and a few other things.

Have fun
    You might wanna have a meeting with your buddy above you since he's under the impression you can buy anything in game
  • MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    All the derek smart followers come out of their caves after every SC post made here. Its actually funny. Seriously is. What's funnier than these brainless tools is the fact that a lot of the people who bitch about the SC development cycle has no idea about game design or how long a AAA title takes to develop. Has it been 5+ years yet? No? then stfu.
    edited January 2017
    @Kefo he doesn't have to, that is irrelevant to the currency microtransaction, he is talking about the stuff that was ever mentioned as stuff that could be sold outside the game.

In-game you buy anything UEC can buy, with the UEC you can earn in-game or buy with cash. That goes from buying a new ship, repair your ship, buy a new shotgun, hire NPCs, weapons or parts for your ship, to trade with players (not sure if allows currency), etc...
    MaxBacon said:
    @Kefo he doesn't have to, that is irrelevant to the currency microtransaction, he is talking about the stuff that was ever mentioned as stuff that could be sold outside the game.

In-game you buy anything UEC can buy, with the UEC you can earn in-game or buy with cash. That goes from buying a new ship, repair your ship, buy a new shotgun, hire NPCs, weapons or parts for your ship, to trade with players (not sure if allows currency), etc...
    ok so you are confirming pay to win then since you are telling me you can buy UEC with cash and in turn buy anything in the game with said UEC. Cool!
    Mirathel said:
    All the derek smart followers come out of their caves after every SC post made here. Its actually funny. Seriously is. What's funnier than these brainless tools is the fact that a lot of the people who bitch about the SC development cycle has no idea about game design or how long a AAA title takes to develop. Has it been 5+ years yet? No? then stfu.
    You're late to the game by about a year. We already burned through the stupid excuse of you don't understand game design/development.
    Kefo said:
    Mirathel said:
    You're late to the game by about a year. We already burned through the stupid excuse of you don't understand game design/development.

yea well some people just need a refresher
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited January 2017
    Mirathel said:
    So what you are basically saying is that Chris Roberts doesn't understand game development. Because he has been promising release dates for SQ42 in the past.
    People here are just complaining about empty promises from that 'expert' in game development.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

Known for 4 years man: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/173901/#Comment_173901

And yeah he used the example of World of Tanks, and no wonder, it's one of the most successful MMO's around, generates 150$Million in just 4 months.
    From the CR post you linked:

"Maybe this is from all the MMOs I signed up for and then didn't have time to play yet still had to pay to keep my character (I think I paid over 2 years of subs for both WoW and SWG before I canceled, despite only playing them for the first month or so!)"

Holy crap! He thinks that if you stop paying a sub your character is deleted?!!!

No wonder he doesn't like the sub model. He has no clue how it works.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

"Maybe this is from all the MMOs I signed up for and then didn't have time to play yet still had to pay to keep my character (I think I paid over 2 years of subs for both WoW and SWG before I canceled, despite only playing them for the first month or so!)"

Holy crap! He thinks that if you stop paying a sub your character is deleted?!!!

I am quite sure that in the early days of MMO's there were no guarantees that your toon would be kept for years without subbing. There were no standards about these things back then. This was also different per game early on.

I wouldn't even be surprised if you still find disclaimers about these kind of things in MMO's UELA. But of course now it is almost like a rule that your toon will be kept after your sub runs out.
  • MtheumerMtheumer Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I think a lot of MMOs have forgotten that they should creating worlds that people would want to be a part of.  The addiction is easier if the genre is engaging enough to draw you in with enough options and activities to keep you engaged.
    edited January 2017
    Iselin said:
    lol IDK; to be fair Sub MMO's as Ultima Online had deleted inactive characters back then, so idk if he flashed back to it when he said that.
    Iselin said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

I am quite sure that in the early days of MMO's there were no guarantees that your toon would be kept for years without subbing. There were no standards about these things back then. This was also different per game early on.

I wouldn't even be surprised if you still find disclaimers about these kind of things in MMO's UELA. But of course now it is almost like a rule that your toon will be kept after your sub runs out.
    He mentions WOW and SWG, not Meridian 59 lol.

By the time SWG and WOW came around everyone knew that when you let your sub lapse your characters just stay there in limbo. I mean, It's not even a "game feature," just common business sense to keep a door open for potential ex-customers to return. I knew this and I merely play games, not design them.

Of all the CR gaffes to defend... it boggles.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2017
    Iselin said:
    SWG...
    I did some quick pokes on SWG about this and it seems they had the info that after 6 months of inactivity the characters could get deleted. 

ofc that was what they said, but I heard they said that just to make people keep login into the game afraid of loose their characters. Way to keep them paying!
    Iselin said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

Every time you read something from Chris Roberts it makes you wonder how he managed to create a successful game at all
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

He mentions WOW and SWG, not Meridian 59 lol.

By the time SWG and WOW came around everyone knew that when you let your sub lapse your characters just stay there in limbo. I mean, It's not even a "game feature," just common business sense to keep a door open for potential ex-customers to return. I knew this and I merely play games, not design them.

Of all the CR gaffes to defend... it boggles.
    Played SWG off and on from launch til close and left from time to time and never lost a character.  Did lose a lot of buildings and stuff that was in them because I didn't pay rent on them while I was gone.  I have received emails from games saying unless I login by a certain date my characters would be deleted but that's rare.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited January 2017
    Played SWG off and on from launch til close and left from time to time and never lost a character.  
    That's what I read about, nobody seems to have reported they had characters deleted. But officially they said after 6 months they could get deleted.

However once you think on it, it's an easy conclusion they just said such to make people keep paying the subscription, even if not playing.
    MaxBacon said:
    Played SWG off and on from launch til close and left from time to time and never lost a character.  
    That's what I read about, nobody seems to have reported they had characters deleted. But officially they said after 6 months they could get deleted.

However once you think on it, it's an easy conclusion they just said such to make people keep paying the subscription, even if not playing.
    The whole losing character malarkey for SWG comes from the early days when people saw how broken and unfinished the game was and started leaving in droves. The boneheads in PR at SOE decided the best way to keep people from canceling their sub was to make the absurdly childish threat that "If you cancel your subscription, we can't guarantee your character will still be there if you decide to come back." Needless to say it was a load of horse elbows and nobody lost anything. Well except for SOE which lost every sherd of credibility with me for the rest of their pointless career.
    Indeed. And anyone with half a brain would have known just what a load of horseshit that strong-arm implied threat of deletion was. Apparently some people still thought, 10 years later, that it wasn't an idle threat but something that is the norm in the sub system.

Hell, even the pro-F2P, anti-sub trolls in these forums know better than to use that as their example of why subs are unfair.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2017
    @MisterZebub worry not! Daybreak Games will continue the legacy.

@Iselin the most i've seen MMO's do, and this includes Blizzard is renaming your inactive characters to free up character names or hide your characters but they will still migrate them upon reaching support.

Side of all of this, I don't think subs are unfair, though it is a failing model for MMO's, people are unwilling to pay subs so companies continuing pushing on F2P. Then everybody gets mad at the status of F2P  >.>

Pro-F2P people? Eeeww.
    the only game I can remember that used to delete online characters was diablo 2
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    edited January 2017
    If this shit show of a game ever releases it will be on of the biggest disappointments in the history of gaming. The nerd rage and tears from triggered white knights and fanboi will be the stuff of legends. All the people who have been critical of this hot mess will be standing back, with arms crossed and head nodding up and down in delight as it all unfolds. Just like Lard Ass when he created his barf'O Rama in Stand by Me.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Mirathel said:
    You do realize that with ' supporters'  like you SC really doesn't need enemies right? This right here is a perfect example of why threads about SC and anything related always derail.

If this shit show of a game ever releases it will be on of the biggest disappointments in the history of gaming. The nerd rage and tears from triggered white knights and fanboi will be the stuff of legends. All the people who have been critical of this hot mess will be standing back, with arms crossed and head nodding up and down in delight as it all unfolds. Just like Lard Ass when he created his barf'O Rama in Stand by Me.
    And to be fair to all, this is an example from the other side.

SC might be the biggest pile of shit, SC might be the best thing ever, fortunately we already have people on board that know how it will turn out and are more then glad to share how wrong the other side is. And that is why we can't have nice SC threads.

On a side note, I do think a lot of critical thinking is missing on the hype train, there are a lot of valid concerns about the game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Iselin said:
    MaxBacon said:

The whole losing character malarkey for SWG comes from the early days when people saw how broken and unfinished the game was and started leaving in droves. The boneheads in PR at SOE decided the best way to keep people from canceling their sub was to make the absurdly childish threat that "If you cancel your subscription, we can't guarantee your character will still be there if you decide to come back." Needless to say it was a load of horse elbows and nobody lost anything. Well except for SOE which lost every sherd of credibility with me for the rest of their pointless career.
    Indeed. And anyone with half a brain would have known just what a load of horseshit that strong-arm implied threat of deletion was. Apparently some people still thought, 10 years later, that it wasn't an idle threat but something that is the norm in the sub system.

Hell, even the pro-F2P, anti-sub trolls in these forums know better than to use that as their example of why subs are unfair.
    Yes, you are right. No game developer ended up deleting toons for that reason (as far as I know). But officially they never guaranteed that, and players back then had no reference like you have now.
    You are just talking with the wisdom of hindsight.

I don't care about the sub vs f2p issue , just about your over the top reaction to that guy. You either forgot about this, or never played a MMO back then.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Oh there are certainly valid concerns about the game. Sadly they get muddied and disarmed by the more fanatic anti-fans that try to turn every little fart in the game's progress into a giant raging volcano of truth and justification that their little claims of doom and gloom are correct. You can only pull the Chicken Little routine  so many times before people just stop listening. Which again is a shame as I feel there are some very valid concerns about the games progress.

I see muddying from both groups, not just the fanatic anti-fans.
    You see a large amount of vocal whiteknights downplaying valid concerns and attempts of discussing the effects of decisions at every turn. Both groups are as bad as each other in my opinion, they just turn the game into drama rather than allow any chance for reasonable discourse.