Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42 release still nowhere even though first chapter was promised in beginning of 2015

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    Kefo said:
    Nothing wrong with being a critic. Keeps people honest to a certain extent
    Agreed, unfortunately you're not really one, but who knows, maybe one day!
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2017
    I'd rather be a cautious critic than the blind faith excuse making flock member who drinks the purple drink because Jimmy Jones said to.  :3
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited January 2017
    I'd rather be a cautious critic than the blind faith excuse making flock member who drinks the purple drink because Jimmy Jones said to.  :3
    Yup, that's kinda how it should be, though the issue here is not much on critics, is about legitimate critics, not the ones who play this act, it's just faked, it's one act. And from what I noticed several others around here did also already notice this.

There are peeps around who are more legitimate when it comes to this, aka they are not throwing critics around just to flame-bait discussions, they are trying instead to engage on a proper discussion.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    MaxBacon said:
    That's kinda how it should be, though the issue here is not much on critics, is about legitimate critics, not the ones who play this act. It's just faked, it's one act, and from what I noticed several others around here did also already notice this.

There are a few peeps around who are more legitimate when it comes to this, aka they are not throwing critics around just to flame-bait discussions, they are trying instead to engage on a proper discussion.
    I'd call the OP a legitimate critic.  I mean he is quoting Robert's own words.  And he's not quoting them out of context.  And we really don't have anything to quote from Robert's explaining that the direction of the game would greatly increase production time.

It wasn't untill 3 months ago that Roberts finally got off that overhyped train where he was making bogus claims about when the game would release.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Pigozz said:

WHAT.IS.THE.STATE.OF.SQUADRON.42 at january 2017

There is no state. They won't comment or release any information on the state of play.

There was meant to be a demo for Squadron42 at Citizencon last year but they couldn't even get that completed.
    Then, after spending a large amount of time and resources creating the demo Chris Roberts decided that demos were a waste of time and effort so he scrapped it rather than show anything to the backers.

What a waste.
    edited January 2017
    filmoret said:
    I'd call the OP a legitimate critic.  I mean he is quoting Robert's own words.  And he's not quoting them out of context.  And we really don't have anything to quote from Robert's explaining that the direction of the game would greatly increase production time.

It wasn't untill 3 months ago that Roberts finally got off that overhyped train where he was making bogus claims about when the game would release.
    I'm not really directing it towards the OP; idk about him.

When I mean legitimate, it's like your older posts about the obsession with Star Marine and its delays, I never saw it as legitimate, I always saw it as just cheap attempts of regurgitating the same discussion again and again, what flame-baited this forum to oblivion. Nothing good ever came from that.

Not legitimate as it's nothing but just doing it to create more drama and more controversy on these forums. And for me that is the difference between critics and haters or trolls.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited January 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:

When I mean legitimate, it's like your older posts about the obsession with Star Marine and its delays, I never saw as legitimate, I always saw it as just cheap attempts of regurgitating the same discussion again and again, what flame-baited this forum to oblivion. Nothing good ever came from that.
    Although this is true nothing good came from defending Chris Roberts of SC or Star Marine or Squadron 42 over and over again on every thread either. None is close to being finished, there is little more insight into any of them and people are still paying for pictures of ships and the ship debt issue hasn't been solved. So far I would even say the critics have more ammunition to shoot with then the people that hop on every SC, Roberts or anything related threat to defuse any criticism defending all this to the bitter end.

Always be a critic, even more so of that which you decided to defend. Something sorely missing in a lot of posts when it comes to SC unfortunately.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    I have my Golden Ticket from Roberts.
    I have the original WingCommander with a signed box, hat and Secret Missions disc
    I spent $200 to add ram so I could watch my flight stick move...

In short I'm a huge fan of CR and the concept.
    That said, development has been disappointing. It's just a fact that does not require "defense".

All I want is Squadron 42...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited January 2017
    lahnmir said:
    Always be a critic, even more so of that which you decided to defend. Something sorely missing in a lot of posts when it comes to SC unfortunately.
    Again I say, the different between trolls, haters and legitimate critics, is that the legitimate critics are not intentionally doing these things just to create more drama and controversy.

That is where the whole narrative makes the discussions turn aggressive because it's one ACT. This is not a solo issue locked to SC on these forums, and it's just what makes me not playing anymore this "pretending-to-be-critic" discussions with the people who aren't one.

It's not legitimate when what we end up doing is the "Neverending quest for moral superiority on internet forums."
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Nothing wrong with being a critic. Keeps people honest to a certain extent
    Agreed, unfortunately you're not really one, but who knows, maybe one day!
    Well I suppose you are entitled to your opinion lol
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I do hope the authorities take a look at this whole thing: more than $120+ mil raised and 4-5 years in development and still no game in sight, and they CONTINUE to have to raise money to keep the whole thing going.

I know that California AG was getting interested last year, I hope they have something going in the background which no one knows about.

As the OP noted and posted several statement excerpts, CR has been breaking his own promises and deadlines for a long while, how long until that comes to equal malfeasance?

Say what you want about CR and SC and game development in general, but at the end of the day this is looking like the most mismanaged MMO development project ever, or could turn into one of the biggest consumer fraud cases in the history of video games or crowd funding.

And that is just the way it is.

Pigozz said:

There is no state. They won't comment or release any information on the state of play.

There was meant to be a demo for Squadron42 at Citizencon last year but they couldn't even get that completed.
    Then, after spending a large amount of time and resources creating the demo Chris Roberts decided that demos were a waste of time and effort so he scrapped it rather than show anything to the backers.

What a waste.
    If there even was a demo. If it was so close to being done why not just release what you have to appease backers and silence critics then throw more fuel on the fire. 
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    MaxBacon said:
    lahnmir said:
    Again I say, the different between trolls, haters and legitimate critics, is that the legitimate critics are not intentionally doing these things just to create more drama and controversy.

I would argue that MORE things should be brought up to create "drama and controversy". As long as what is brought up is a legitimate issue. I feel OP is legitimate. Shine a light where CR's managerial darkness ruins so to speak.

Again I am a backer myself. I am not a deluded backer, just an increasingly worried backer. I am not afraid of the opposition, even one as transparently jealous as DS. O.o

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited January 2017
    Kefo said:
    If there even was a demo. If it was so close to being done why not just release what you have to appease backers and silence critics then throw more fuel on the fire. 
    Because the "critics" would tear them apart if the demo didn't look good enough. Something they do love to do when it comes to SC, every bug and so forth is fuel to attack the game with.

The fact they still didn't show it is encouraging in one aspect: They could just fake it, make some shiny trailer and stuff like that... yet they didn't. Unless you would claim they aren't capable to make a SQ42 trailer, I would say their priority sets on the game.

bartoni33 said:
    I would argue that MORE things should be brought up to create "drama and controversy". As long as what is brought up is a legitimate issue. I feel OP is legitimate. Shine a light where CR's managerial darkness ruins so to speak.
    But that is what the big majority of this forum is already all about. You already have what you're asking for. The thing is so much of it is regurgitation of the same stuff countless times discussed before.

Should we create a new thread every day titled "1 More Day has passed and SC is still overdue"? It's honestly where we stand.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Because the "critics" would tear them apart if the demo didn't look good enough. Something they do love to do when it comes to SC, every bug and so forth is fuel to attack the game with.

The fact they still didn't show it is encouraging in one aspect: They could just fake it, make some shiny trailer and stuff like that... yet they didn't. Unless you would claim they aren't capable to make a SQ42 trailer, I would say their priority sets on the game.

bartoni33 said:
    But that is what the big majority of this forum is already all about. You already have what you're asking for. The thing is so much of it is regurgitation of the same stuff countless times discussed before.

Should we create a new thread every day titled "1 More Day has Passed SC is still overdue"? It's honestly where we stand.
    Here we are now it is a good sign of progression when a company releases nothing ...

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited January 2017
    Here we are now it is a good sign of progression when a company releases nothing ...
    Yeah you're right, they release nothing but game updates upon the alpha. Those bastards!

I think everybody here agrees their pace is disappointing when it comes to their delivery speed, but from that to "nothing" there's quite the gap sir.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

bartoni33 said:

Should we create a new thread every day titled "1 More Day has passed and SC is still overdue"? It's honestly where we stand.
    As long as people engage in the thread... what's wrong with them creating one each day?

If nobody responds then the thread dies... If there is interest, then it lives...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited January 2017
    As long as people engage in the thread... what's wrong with them creating one each day?
    Well nothing is technically wrong I suppose. If people believe that it would be any meaningful have a thread every day pointing that another day has passed and SC is still not released, I'll create it myself...
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

bartoni33 said:

If nobody responds then the thread dies... If there is interest, then it lives...
    "Legitimate" threads folks. Like when SC blows through another self-imposed deadline. Or blows x amount of dollars on unneeded or unusable tech.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited January 2017
    bartoni33 said:
    "Legitimate" threads folks. Like when SC blows through another self-imposed deadline. Or blows x amount of dollars on unneeded or unusable tech.
    Technically that's still 1 thread every day, or even 1 thread every hour. Every hour that passes SC deadline is yet again overdue by another day. So technically it is accurate to make a thread every second. Though that's like just be the quickest way to get banned!

It is technically accurate because SC does not have a current deadline, and the last one was 2016, meaning there's no self-imposed deadline for them to blow. And the current ones are "we hope", "we expect" so can't make any official rock-solid dates of them either. O.o
    MaxBacon said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Technically that's still 1 thread every day, or even 1 thread every hour. Every hour that passes SC deadline is yet again overdue by another day. So technically it is accurate to make a thread every second. Though that's like just be the quickest way to get banned!

It is technically accurate because SC does not have a current deadline, and the last one was 2016, meaning there's no self-imposed deadline for them to blow. O.o
    Ya know, people like you are the reason Whiteknighting is so despised on gaming forums. You know damn well what I mean.

This game is fucked. Everyone knows it, even the backers. It has been given a good rogering for years now. It's reality. It does no good to stick fingers in ears or stick head in sand. It is what it is.

Again, all we can hope for is that all the money collected along with any new infusion from the whales will give us some kind of good (hopefully great) game despite of CR and companies incompetence.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:

When I mean legitimate, it's like your older posts about the obsession with Star Marine and its delays, I never saw it as legitimate, I always saw it as just cheap attempts of regurgitating the same discussion again and again, what flame-baited this forum to oblivion. Nothing good ever came from that.

Not legitimate as it's nothing but just doing it to create more drama and more controversy on these forums. And for me that is the difference between critics and haters or trolls.
    Yea it was completely absurd of me to believe anything Chris said.  I agree with that.  You realize legitimate means real and not fake or over exaggerated right?  Chris over exaggerated a lot of stuff and somehow you make me the bad person in this discussion?   Lost your mind bro.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

They don't show it because they threw it out according to Chris even though they were so close to being done.

If they had released the demo as promised who cares if it had bugs? Yes there would be certain critics who would tear it apart but at least there is something there as opposed to more broken promises and people asking if there was even a demo or just more hype to sell ships.

If bugs in an alpha game are fuel for the fire for critics then scrapping a supposed demo that is so close to being done is jet fuel for the fire
    edited January 2017
    bartoni33 said:
    This game is fucked. Everyone knows it, even the backers. It has been given a good rogering for years now. It's reality. It does no good to stick fingers in ears or stick head in sand. It is what it is.
    U mad? lol

Sorry your opinion is not it is what it is. A fucked game is not a game actively under development, that already shown impressive tech being demoed set to release on the next updates, it is instead a game that would and yes be already fucked up.

Try to isolate SC to make things look as bad as possible, dramatize everything as much as possible, that's the job some other people already are responsible for, as DS.

Don't come with moral rants against me because you know that very well!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Kefo said:
    Pigozz said:

What a waste.
    I don't understand why if they were so short on time, they would decide to put out two demos instead of just one in the first place.  An SG42 demo was promised, then they decided to do two (sg42 and procedural landing), and to add more content to one (giant worm).  This teams have been working together for over 4 years and have not learned how to evaluate what they can do in a certain amount of time.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey