Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42 release still nowhere even though first chapter was promised in beginning of 2015

PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
Ok guys Ive been reading a lot about SC last few months (I was watching closely the original kickstartes, then I just stopped caring as I knew the development gonna take some time)

And here we are few years later and dig through some promised releases and I just couldnt believe my eyes. So.much.bullshit :D
Im just gonna focus on the SQ 42 as it is a standalone game with 1/10 of what features the complete SC promises, so there is 0 reason for such extreme delays.

Lets go for a ride:

[Then] an alpha of the single-player game, and then finally a beta of the persistent universe by the end of the year (2014).

–Chris Roberts, Forbes May 2013 Interview[3]

Further out is the single player alpha (roughly August 2014) and the alpha for system universe (again, roughly December 2014).

–Chris Roberts MMORPG.com Interview, PAX East 2013[22]

The plan is to give you guys a final polished S42. Alpha and Beta access are absolutely on for Star Citizen in terms of the different modules (Hangar, Dogfighting, Ground Based combat etc.) but S42 will be a standalone game given free to all those who have backed before Star Citizen launches. Having said that, as S42 will be using all the elements from these different modules, and improving the game based on the communities feedback as they are released for Alpha, you will all be making a contribution to making S42 a much better game. What we won't be letting people see early is the plot / story and missions, as we want it to be a ground breaking, immersive experience for everyone when they first play the campaign and are introduced to the level of quality we want to bring to the universe.

–Erin Roberts on January 17, 2014[27]

Ok now Im gonna pause for a while and do a retrospective: I believe a whole bunch of you were defending the delay saying the SQ 42 will DEFINATELY arrive in the mid of 2015 (I dont have the time to dig through these forums, but Im pretty certain by this) because they are taking time to polish it (typical attitude of any fanboy of any game Ive ever seen - just remember SWTOR, AoC, Wildstar, TES etc and how the games looked after release)
How are you gonna defend someone who is certain the game would release by end of 2014 and then still have nothing to show years later?! :O I mean if they were so sure about the dates they must have had the missions, scripts and entire engine working and prepared in a crude version to make these statement year before release...This is honestly ridiculous
And since its a singleplayer it shouldnt be blocked by their issues with network..
And finally there was this golden statement:

For the first chapter [of Squadron 42], we're aiming for it to be towards the beginning of next year.

–Erin Roberts on April 11, 2014[28]

Umm okay..where are they? Thats TWO YEARS after the first few mission were supposed to be available...

Then
came year 2015 and it was promised to be released by the end of it...again
Then came 2016 and it was promised to be released by the end of it...again
Then came november Citizen Con and not a word on squadron even though it was supposed to be the highlight of the show...its like the flush down the toilet the whole thing. I mean this is so unproffesional any sane person would just demand explanation and any investor would fire their asses out of window and people keep defending how they are polishing...

Can someone explain me the CURRENT status of SQ42? As of january 2017? Im really really curious of what will you guys tell me

The dates are copypasted from: http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Yeah, SQ42 is definitely running late !

Then again, I'll not have time to play it in the first half of 2017 (too many other games to play), so I don't mind if they work on it a bit longer... :lol:
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Pigozz said:

Can someone explain me the CURRENT status of SQ42? As of january 2017?
    It's not released yet.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Yeah, SQ42 is definitely running late !

Then again, I'll not have time to play it in the first half of 2017 (too many other games to play), so I don't mind if they work on it a bit longer... :lol:

Yeah I dont really mind as well, Im finishing my finals in three weeks so I will finally have time to finish all other games (and theres a LOT of em :D )
    I was just astonished by the amount of made up release dates and people being very cool about it

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Did you mention the fact that they split it into two games now that you have to pay seperatly now, going back on his word about giving 42 away for "free"?  had to skim you post, too much text and i'm lazy.  This is what prompted me to get a full refund from them after a few heated emails back and forth and threatening to take legal action as well as contact the BBB, until they finally gave in and refunded me.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Regardless of what was said, you probably shouldn't expect the MMO version of this game to be ready until at least 2018. I'd estimate mid-late 2018 to early 2019 for a well polished game.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Read more and check out the alpha to make a decision - there are periodic "free fly" opportunities for people who are not backers. "Star Marine" was added with the last patch.

As far as it now being "two games" the project has not changed; original backers are not being asked to pay again; it is included "for free" if you like as part of their package. So no CR has not gone back on what he said.

For later backers things did change - an option to support all of the project just like the original backers (at whatever cost) or to support just one aspect of it. That is just things moving forward.

You did expect people to pay for the game when it launched didn't you? Or would that have been going back on his word?

The positive is that the game is going forward, patch by patch.
  • LumberjackJohnLumberjackJohn Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I just got an email couple days ago telling me it's going to be 2017, this time for real you guys, no shit, we mean it, really, seriously!

From the Newsletter: "2016 was a noteworthy year in Star Citizen’s development. 2017 with Squadron 42 and Alpha 3.0 is looking to be even better."

I believe it when i see it.
    gervaise1 said:
    Read more and check out the alpha to make a decision - there are periodic "free fly" opportunities for people who are not backers. "Star Marine" was added with the last patch.

As far as it now being "two games" the project has not changed; original backers are not being asked to pay again; it is included "for free" if you like as part of their package. So no CR has not gone back on what he said.

For later backers things did change - an option to support all of the project just like the original backers (at whatever cost) or to support just one aspect of it. That is just things moving forward.

You did expect people to pay for the game when it launched didn't you? Or would that have been going back on his word?

The positive is that the game is going forward, patch by patch.
    Im not asking about Star Citizen, dont dodge the question. Im simply asking about the state of singleplayer SQ 42. No "free fly" was ever released even though the ENTIRE GAME was supposed to be released by now...explain

mcrippins said:
    Regardless of what was said, you probably shouldn't expect the MMO version of this game to be ready until at least 2018. I'd estimate mid-late 2018 to early 2019 for a well polished game.
    Im not fu****ing asking about the MMO...are you guys this ignorant or are you doing it on purpose because you have 0 arguments to back it up so you just avoid the question and answer another, big game politician style??
    This is ridiculous
    one more time:
    WHAT.IS.THE.STATE.OF.SQUADRON.42 at january 2017
    Not being able to answer the question is pretty much self-explanatory

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    Pigozz said:
    Y SO MAD?

The state is on a short answer: Still unreleased. The longer one, we've heard the first chapter of the story is undergoing being taken to close to final quality, hence the announced demo that is set to happen.

So it's very speculative, I would wait until the proper gameplay demo is finally shown and it will be far more possible to have one idea of its state, not only how it plays, how good it plays.
    edited January 2017
    Pigozz said:
    gervaise1 said:

Im not asking about Star Citizen, dont dodge the question. Im simply asking about the state of singleplayer SQ 42. No "free fly" was ever released even though the ENTIRE GAME was supposed to be released by now...explain
    Free fly refers to the periodic opportunities provided for non-backers to play the current alpha build of the game. Backers can play without a "free fly". I assume you know this since you said you had read up on the game.

The current alpha - if you check out the videos of the current release - show what is called Star Marine. Which can be considered the bare bones of SQ 42 - without the stories and cut scenes etc.

As for explaining - why? I'm certainly not bothered. Check out some other threads If you want more of my - and other peoples thoughts - if you want. 

There is an adage in management that you cannot manage the past. And most people are not that bothered. They will check out Mass Effect :Andromeda when it comes out. Ditto SQ 42 when it comes out. 

Now If you thinking of "backing" it maybe wait for the next free fly.

If you are trolling c'est la vie. And it does sound like you are trolling. Learn to chill.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    Im not fu****ing asking about the MMO...are you guys this ignorant or are you doing it on purpose because you have 0 arguments to back it up so you just avoid the question and answer another, big game politician style??
    This is ridiculous
    one more time:
    To answer you're question, i think the MMO should be out around 2018 - 2019 with any luck. 
    Im just glad i didnt invest into this game or i'd be raging all the time and getting upset at silly things. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The law is still in it's infancy when comes to gaming let alone kickstarters and crowdfunding.

The legal part is that devs are calling these donations,non sales even the games we BUY are considered purchased license to rent/use and not really a game sale,we NEVER own the rights to anything on a game disc.
    Sp at best,a little guy comes by ,gets a good lawyer and maybe gets his 100/200/500 bucks back,however Chris and SC continue on as if nothing happened.

The biggest part of the problem are the government agencies,they are so dam lazy it is incredible.They want to and feel all glorified collecting a strong wage/salary from your tax payers dollars but make it dam near impossible for people to actually use the agencies.

The agencies are SUPPOSED to be there to serve the people who pay their wages but instead just like the police,they govern themselves and do as they please.An example is if you or I file a complaint,instead of looking into the complaint,they look at YOU and your tendencies and past complaints.So then it becomes more of a YOU are on trial instead of the corrupt businesses.

You know how the FTC operates?They look for giant businesses like Mgm/Universal,so they can sue them a few hundred thousand to put in their coffers and tell them to carry on as usual.So you might get YOUR money back if persistent but Chris can continue to exploit and mislead people for as long until law is changed.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Ok I wanna say it before anyone else does.

I'd rather they take their time and give us quality then rush out a crappy product.

Woo I can't believe I was the first one to say it.  
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited January 2017
    Wizardry said:

Now @Wizardry you are going to get shouted at by the op IN CAPITALS for not answering his / her question!
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    This is ridiculous
    one more time:
    -In Development-
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I just got an email couple days ago telling me it's going to be 2017, this time for real you guys, no shit, we mean it, really, seriously!

From the Newsletter: "2016 was a noteworthy year in Star Citizen’s development. 2017 with Squadron 42 and Alpha 3.0 is looking to be even better."

I believe it when i see it.
    Did it come with a link to the store where they sell spaceships? ' Get the newest limited edition spaceships! ' or something like that ?:p
    edited January 2017
    mcrippins said:
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    This is ridiculous
    one more time:
    -In Development-

Wow

I would be kicked out of my job if I ever said this on my daily scrum

Nevertheless thanks for the answer. Cant believe this is the official statement at this stage

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    This is ridiculous
    one more time:
    -In Development-

Wow

Nevertheless thanks for the answer. Cant believe this is the official statement at this stage
    If you can't stand inept leadership and constantly changing deadlines then you really need to stay away from SC and specifically Chris Roberts.

I say this in all honesty and as a hopeful backer.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    bartoni33 said:
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    This is ridiculous
    one more time:
    -In Development-

Wow

If you can't stand inept leadership and constantly changing deadlines then you really need to stay away from SC and specifically Chris Roberts.

That's the problem though. Inept leadership makes for either a failed project or huge amounts of waste. Huge amounts of waste are fine when it's your own money (I.e. Chris Roberts money) but when it's backed money there should be a huge red flag going up
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Kefo said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    This is ridiculous
    one more time:
    -In Development-

Wow

That's the problem though. Inept leadership makes for either a failed project or huge amounts of waste. Huge amounts of waste are fine when it's your own money (I.e. Chris Roberts money) but when it's backed money there should be a huge red flag going up
    Yep.

As the late, great Hunter S. Thompson once wrote " you pay for the ticket, you take the ride". CR was/is known for shoddy leadership skills. As backers we just have to hope that the truckload of money continually given to him will someday lead to a viable product, minimum or otherwise. =)

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    This is ridiculous
    one more time:
    -In Development-

Wow

Your shock/horror/outrage is noted.... and ignored.

"It's done when it's done !"

:lol:
    bartoni33 said:
    Kefo said:
    bartoni33 said:
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    Pigozz said:
    mcrippins said:
    This is ridiculous
    one more time:
    -In Development-

Wow

Yep.

As the late, great Hunter S. Thompson once wrote " you pay for the ticket, you take the ride". CR was/is known for shoddy leadership skills. As backers we just have to hope that the truckload of money continually given to him will someday lead to a viable product, minimum or otherwise. =)
    Thank god im not a backer cause I think that might be a misplaced hope if you know your CR history lol
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2017
    bartoni33 said:
    " you pay for the ticket, you take the ride".
    That's exactly what we all paid for, that ride, from the very start of funding and concept, through the prototypes and tech demos, to the alphas and betas, upon the release.

The ride seems to be of ups and downs like a rollercoaster experience, who can't handle it shouldn't be here at all. Some people act like they are forced to buy it or something >.>

Kefo said:
    Thank god im not a backer
    Indeed, you're more of one... uhhhh... "critic". :3
    mweheheheh
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Thank god im not a backer
    Indeed, you're more of one... uhhhh... "critic". :3
    mweheheheh
    Nothing wrong with being a critic. Keeps people honest to a certain extent