Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous. Aliens have finally been found

stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
edited January 2017 in Elite: Dangerous
As per remowillams

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2017
    Oh wow, that's kind of a cool event to just happen randomly....  Kudos, Frontier.

EDIT- Also, if that had happened to me...  I would've literally shit my pants.

• viletot0viletot0 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    makes me want to load up ED and play again, wow

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Oh wow, that's kind of a cool event to just happen randomly....  Kudos, Frontier.

EDIT- Also, if that had happened to me...  I would've literally shit my pants.
    Being Xenophobic I would have shot it.

There can be room for only one dominant space faring race.

;)

Awesome video....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Really cool. There seems to be quite a few of these events happening now. I like the distortion around the alien ships and how they create what looks like a portal when jumping out.
    Wonder if there will be a variety of alien ships or are they one ship for all purposes?

Not gonna lie, just bought a joystick and E:D.  I need to find me some aliens!

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Was he using a VR device or can you look different directions in the cockpit? 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Looks to me like he's using some form of head tracking but you can also look in different directions using the free-look option which you can bind to a hat etc.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    See an alien and shoot at him.  I hope we never meet real ones.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited January 2017
    MMOman101 said:
    Was he using a VR device or can you look different directions in the cockpit? 
    @MMOman101 There's a headlook mode that you can use to look around inside your cockpit.

Neat little addition is that, if you look down at your body, you can see your avatar's hands working the ship controls accurately according to your inputs.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Open Fire:

Have fun

edited January 2017
    filmoret said:
    Right?  The creatures are obviously more advanced than humans, considering it quite easily disabled the pilot's ship completely, examined it while the pilot was completely helpless, then decided to fly away instead of destroying him.

Why is it, after demonstrating quite clearly that they're infinitely more advanced as a species than us, that our immediate thought is that we should (or are even able) to destroy them??

Unless you're like Kyleran, and would've shot out of species pride. ;)

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Looks pretty cool, but then what? I mean what do you actually do in the game except fly around?

Kunai_Vax said:
    Looks pretty cool, but then what? I mean what do you actually do in the game except fly around?
    I'm imagining Frontier didn't implement this random encounter only to not progress it with any kind of subsequent contacts/wars/what have you.

As far as what to do in Elite: Dangerous..  I haven't played very long, but am starting to get into the combat missions now that I've upgraded my starter ship modules.  There's also smuggling, trading, cartography, etc.  That's just from what I've gleaned so far.  Unless you meant what's there to do outside of your ships..  Other than SRV roving on planets, everything is done from your ship.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Kunai_Vax said:
    From some comments I've read on the youtube video, that alien race is a well known villain of the series.

So expect galactic war I guess?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DMKano said:
    filmoret said:

Why is it, after demonstrating quite clearly that they're infinitely more advanced as a species than us, that our immediate thought is that we should (or are even able) to destroy them??

Because it's a game where shooting takes a press of a button and consequences don't matter.

IRL - it would play quite differently - as in, someone would need a change of pants.
    Yup,  it's a game, so we automatically know the aliens are killable. That's their whole reason for existing in almost any game...
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Ideally imo encounters with said aliens will provide an opportunity to get some alien technology for ship upgrades.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    filmoret said:
    Right?  The creatures are obviously more advanced than humans, considering it quite easily disabled the pilot's ship completely, examined it while the pilot was completely helpless, then decided to fly away instead of destroying him.

To be fair to our xenophobic brother(Got your back, Kyleran ;)), if they disable your ship and render you helpless and man-handle you that way, then you could consider that an act of war.

Even more, after doing so and flying away, they basically say "you are so insignificant we just turn our back to you".  That's quite some insulting and disrespectful behavior.

And, all the while, they made no effort to communicate or contact?  That's three strikes.
    Time for them to be taught some proper manners.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    edited January 2017
    The encounter's have that Half Life 2 vib to it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

DMKano said:
    filmoret said:

Because it's a game where shooting takes a press of a button and consequences don't matter.

IRL - it would play quite differently - as in, someone would need a change of pants.
    I meant in general (also, it was tongue in cheek ;) ).  It's the same trope used in alien movies: we see something we don't understand, so we shoot at it to see what happens.

We're obsessed with ensuring that no one dooms our species but us!  Nobody makes me bleed my own blood!  NOBODY!

Lokero said:
    filmoret said:

To be fair to our xenophobic brother(Got your back, Kyleran ;)), if they disable your ship and render you helpless and man-handle you that way, then you could consider that an act of war.

Even more, after doing so and flying away, they basically say "you are so insignificant we just turn our back to you".  That's quite some insulting and disrespectful behavior.

And, all the while, they made no effort to communicate or contact?  That's three strikes.
    That's the thing: I don't even notice when an ant takes offense to my presence.  The pilot in that video was definitely closer to the ant than me. :p

• lodestone90lodestone90 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Would anyone recommend this game? If so, do you find a joystick controller imperative? 
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    So glad I'm too busy collecting bounties in the central systems to be worried about Thargoids.  :) 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Reminded me of this: The Walkers of Sigma 957

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited January 2017
    DMKano said:
    Lokero said:
    filmoret said:

Disabling your ship without doing any harm to you - and preventing any harm to them - is NOT an "act of war"

It's an act of intelligence.

This would only be an act of war to some alpha-male centric "nobody dare challenge the size of my penis" mentality on Earth.

We turn our back on birds, ants etc.. all the time basically species we deem "lesser" than us. Why would this be different - we are probably far inferior to them in terms of intelligence and technology.

We make no effort to communicate with "lesser" species on Earth so ... again why should humans be the exception?

Humans are far too self-centered and self-important. 

We might think we are big shit on Earth - but we're nobody in the big scheme of the universe.
    WOW, when did you get all tree hugger like.

If there are aliens out there they'd better kill us off first, because if we're ever given half a chance, we'll do it to them.

It's our nature.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    The nature of man debated on a MMO forum (in 500 words or less).  Seems legitimate. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin