Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is ESO worth picking up ATM?

coloneillcoloneill Member UncommonPosts: 3
i wasn't too impressed with the game while play testing during beta up to launch, and I've read and heard that the games gone through a lot of changes since then. so i ask from those that are playing is it worth it to buy and play?

Comments

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited January 2017
    Solid game, worth anyones time really, the price as well for it over the last few mnths has been a bargain as well. Been playing on and off between other games etc for loooong time and still not got to do the dlc areas. If you are not a rush type game player there is content for ages for you to get through.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    There is tons and tons of content its just a matter of whether it clicks with you.  Its very very different from any MMO I've played.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Launch bugs gone, performance vastly better, no mandatory sub, cheaper than at launch and with more content added prior to the console launch - which comes with the base game. More content added post-console most of which is included in the Gold Edition.

Summary: solid game; works as a (proper) solo game; a co-op (group optional) game and a group absolutely needed game. Also has PvP. Both PC and console work (advantages to both, no real disadvantages).
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I've been thinking about returning to it, but what's the situation with lockboxes? I hate them.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    goboygo said:
    There is tons and tons of content its just a matter of whether it clicks with you.  Its very very different from any MMO I've played.
    Different how?
    Athisar said:
    I've been thinking about returning to it, but what's the situation with lockboxes? I hate them.
    You ignore them; problem solved.

Nothing in the cash shop is needed to play the game. Nothing provides an advantage; even the xp boost is insignificant.

What I forgot to mention is that since launch "veteran levels" were also scrapped and replaced by a much more ES like "champion" system. So you now level to 50 - as before; then to champion level 160 - which is gear cut-off; then to champion level 561 - which is the current champion point usage cut-off and then you can bank some more champion points ... which is why the xp boost is trivial. You have to end up simply playing the game since there is no way can "rush" to max level. Probably even harder ti get legendary (the best) gear as well.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Give it a shot. It deserves a second chance. There has been a lot of changes since you played.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    edited January 2017
    Lots of content even without buying expansions.  Elder Scrolls lore!  if you like that thing.   

On paper I should love this game but keep playing LOTRO even after buying expansions.  Game feels so dreary with the gray and brown Betheseda color palette.  It is just the way Betheseda does their games. I'm sure Ill get back but the game does fell so dreary and gloomy for me. Some color, just a bit , maybe?  

Anyway, questing, storywise, and world exploration it is all here.  
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited January 2017
    Being in the same boat as the OP, I played ESO when it first came out.  I went back about 4 months ago and it became very apparent that its basically still the same game with some changes.  For me the same game was still present and it was a within a week I left again with the same issues.  ESO is just blah to me and I love the all the other games in the series.
    flizzer said:
    Lots of content even without buying expansions.  Elder Scrolls lore!  if you like that thing.   

On paper I should love this game but keep playing LOTRO even after buying expansions.  Game feels so dreary with the gray and brown Betheseda color palette.  It is just the way Betheseda does their games. I'm sure Ill get back but the game does fell so dreary and gloomy for me. Some color, just a bit , maybe?  

Are you describing Daggerfall? - which can be sort of drab (a bit harsh but understand).  With the One Tamriel patch you can now go to any area on day 1 - and the areas are different. Ebon Pact area is very pastel; large chunks of Skyrim are white. Wrothgar is mostly snow as well whereas Gold Coast and Hew's Bane are pretty much desert baked.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    flizzer said:

Are you describing Daggerfall? - which can be sort of drab (a bit harsh but understand).  With the One Tamriel patch you can now go to any area on day 1 - and the areas are different. Ebon Pact area is very pastel; large chunks of Skyrim are white. Wrothgar is mostly snow as well whereas Gold Coast and Hew's Bane are pretty much desert baked.
    The Aldmeri Dominion areas in particular have much more colorful palettes. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Athisar said:
    There is almost nothing on the cash shop that someone who plays the game to... umm... play it, would even think of as a convenience worth getting: if you buy the base game with no mount, you might want to spend crowns on a mount to get it quicker than you could in game with gold but even that's just a matter of having one at level 4 instead of level 10 since you usually have enough cash by then.

And if you're a speed-leveling grinder, you might consider buying extra XP crown potions since the ones for sale in the game are pricey.

But everything in the crown shop including the RNG content of crown crates is fluffy extras that no one needs.

I get 1500 crowns per month just for subbing. The only thing I have ever bought with them is the 4 extra character slots (8 free slots and up to 12 with the crown store extras.) 

That MAY change with housing coming next month. Houses will be available for purchase with in-game gold or cash shop crowns. I say "may" because I'll have to see first what the gold cost is and I may use crowns instead to keep my gold reserves for buying gear upgrade mats etc.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    No, level-scaling in any way or form is not acceptable within mmoRPG genre (notice the -RPG suffix). They might just as well drop the whole idea of leveling and improving your character and make it an action online game. That alone, similarly to Oblivion, puts the entire game into the "avoid" or "who the fuck was behind that idea" category, because otherwise the game is pretty decent.

REALITY CHECK

• ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Its definitely worth picking up I picked it up shortly after the free weekend and felt like I already got my moneys worth from playing it during the free weekend. Its on sale for cheap but take note that you need to buy the imperial edition in the crown store to play imperial race the gold edition doesn't include that. It was cheap enough for me to pick it up because I'm not willing to spend more on a game I wouldnt be as dedicated to it as some other players.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    If you want an endless quest grind, go for it. I got bored pretty quick. ESO has some beautiful vistas, but overall I found the game rather dull looking with it's low res textures, ugly character models and amour or zones, which doesn't look or feel organic.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Iselin said:
    Athisar said:
    There is almost nothing on the cash shop that someone who plays the game to... umm... play it, would even think of as a convenience worth getting: if you buy the base game with no mount, you might want to spend crowns on a mount to get it quicker than you could in game with gold but even that's just a matter of having one at level 4 instead of level 10 since you usually have enough cash by then.

And if you're a speed-leveling grinder, you might consider buying extra XP crown potions since the ones for sale in the game are pricey.

But everything in the crown shop including the RNG content of crown crates is fluffy extras that no one needs.

I get 1500 crowns per month just for subbing. The only thing I have ever bought with them is the 4 extra character slots (8 free slots and up to 12 with the crown store extras.) 

That MAY change with housing coming next month. Houses will be available for purchase with in-game gold or cash shop crowns. I say "may" because I'll have to see first what the gold cost is and I may use crowns instead to keep my gold reserves for buying gear upgrade mats etc.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm not too bothered about lockboxes or cash shops as long as it's cosmetic items or minor convenience, it's when games gate stuff behind them or put essential stuff in them (regardless of whether you can grind for days to get the same).

Last time I played I had no problem with the cash shop, it seemed pretty fair. If the lockboxes are just that stuff that wouldn't put me off, though I still think gambling in MMOs like that is unethical.
    Athisar said:
    Iselin said:
    Athisar said:

Thanks for the info.

I'm not too bothered about lockboxes or cash shops as long as it's cosmetic items or minor convenience, it's when games gate stuff behind them or put essential stuff in them (regardless of whether you can grind for days to get the same).

Last time I played I had no problem with the cash shop, it seemed pretty fair. If the lockboxes are just that stuff that wouldn't put me off, though I still think gambling in MMOs like that is unethical.
    Yeah I hate that they resorted to gambling boxes too but they can be ignored.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    I picked it up on sale a few months back, Ill say its decent enough for what it costs and no monthly fee. To those talking about the boxes, they can be completely ignored, they do not impact regular gameplay, try to grab the gold edition if you can so you get all the content.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210
    the worst combat system ive seen in an MMO. Feels like youre playing with paper cut outs. The system feels very flat like I might enjoy it if i was 12 and didnt know any better.