Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hearthstone - Active Playerbase and $$

Man, no posts since 2015!  Anyway, are lots of people still playing Hearthstone?  Is it pretty quick to get a match with the match maker?  Also, how much cash would it take to build a casually competitive deck?

Thanks!

Comments

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Queue times are around 4-8 seconds on ranked or casual play. With just basic cards you can build a few decks that will allow you to climb ladder (assuming you have a little skill) but its highly unlikely you'll reach any higher than rank 5. For the tier 1 decks you'll need cards from various expacs and adventures so that would require spending a lot of money. The adventure cards can only be obtained from buying the adventures so saving dust and crafting them is not an option.
    If you're patient then just do the daily quests and the weekly brawls and within a month or 2 you'll have a decent pool of cards to build from. But if you want to be competitve then buying the adventure packs is unavoidable. Cards like emperor thaurissan (from the adventures) are too good and cant really be swapped out. 
    If money isnt an issue for you, then i'd suggest buying all the adventures and spending another £40-£100 on packs. Buy the gadhetzan packs though, dont buy basic packs. You will get basic packs every week from brawls. 

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks!  What are adventures/adventure cards?  Is that new?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2016
    Adventures are a different way Blizzard found as a gimmick to sell cards.

Man oh man,it would take me 6+ paragraphs to fully explain the corrupt way Blizzard is doing business here,but that is why they make millions.

Adventures are a VERY short sort of content idea/minigames sort of speak where you unlock>>>>get this 3 maybe 4/5/6 cards LMAO and that costs usually around 8 bucks.They usually have around 4/5 episodes per run of this gimmick so 4-5x8 =32-40 bucks.Of this entire gimmick,maybe you'll find use for 3/4/5 of those cards,of recent Reno Jackson is the most popular.Card text....If deck contains no duplicates you get full health back.

Thing is that THIS gimmick allowed players with a lot of saved gold to just buy these mini expansions with in game earned gold,so Blizzard makes less profit.So they returned to outright selling card packs of which you get approx 2 Legend cards per 40 packs/$50.This makes them a LOT more money because players want to be winners and play the same decks as the pros,so they buy MANY more packs in hopes of getting the Rares and Legendary they need.

I can tell you since i have many accounts,that at the locked rank of 20 "no matter how often you lose" you will notice most players have all the best cards and are using the best proven tier decks.So "competitive" is a loose term,you need a  lot of skill/knowledge of the cards and to spend a fair bit of money ,like $100++ to get anywhere.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited December 2016
    I love Hearthstone but I gotta chime in here.

My opinion:

The most recent expansion has extremely popularized a type of deck that ends the game in 4-5 turns, and that's aggro. Play minions and hit face until it's over, and it works about 60% of the time. In order to counter it, you need to play a Reno deck usually, which is a card inside of one of those mini-expansions ( Adventures like what Wizardry was talking about ) , so you HAVE to spend money in order to obtain it I believe. That, or save up 1600 dust for a legendary that's going to be rotated out soon.

My point is here that the meta and cards rotate out constantly. The base cards, though some are good, do NOT get you very far in the current meta. At all. You'll get rushed down by aggro at every rank.

Based on past expansions, don't expect that to change any time soon. Blizzard has found a cash cow in HS, with everyone buying the rotating expansions, and they'll keep making OP cards in those expansions as long as people are willing to buy them.

If you're just now starting? Don't bother. It's unforgiving to new players if you aren't willing to pay $100s to get to an average playing level.

Good luck!

Edit: You can skip everything I just said if you want to play Wild instead of Standard. In Wild, every card is legal - which makes for a very weird ladder and actually somewhat enjoyable experience since not every opponent you face will be using a deck they got off of HearthPwn to tryhard and climb the ladder.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    To get into Hearthstone right now, you're gonna end up paying hundreds to enjoy yourself.  Unlike Magic the Gathering which solved this problem by making only the last 3 expansion legal for tournament play, Hearthstone makes every card going back to launch legal and that means you'll have to open a lot of packs to get what you need.

If I were to start an online card game right now, then I would be looking into Gwent instead.

H0urg1ass said:
    To get into Hearthstone right now, you're gonna end up paying hundreds to enjoy yourself.  Unlike Magic the Gathering which solved this problem by making only the last 3 expansion legal for tournament play, Hearthstone makes every card going back to launch legal and that means you'll have to open a lot of packs to get what you need.

If I were to start an online card game right now, then I would be looking into Gwent instead.

This just isn't true. Standard play only makes the last 2 expansions legal. 
    H0urg1ass said:

In Hearthstone or in MtG?  Cause the last time I played Hearthstone I looked at the average of what it would cost to catch up and it was several expansions worth of cards and well over $100 unless I got extremely lucky.
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    H0urg1ass said:
    H0urg1ass said:

In Hearthstone or in MtG?  Cause the last time I played Hearthstone I looked at the average of what it would cost to catch up and it was several expansions worth of cards and well over $100 unless I got extremely lucky.
    It has been a while since "you" played. There is Wild format which allows all cards from any expansion to be played and Standard which @halfmystic was referring too.
    H0urg1ass said:
    H0urg1ass said:

You said: 

"Unlike Magic the Gathering which solved this problem by making only the last 3 expansion legal for tournament play, Hearthstone makes every card going back to launch legal and that means you'll have to open a lot of packs to get what you need."

I'm talking about Hearthstone. About 10 months ago they made it so Standards, the mode nearly everyone plays, only makes the last 2 expansions legal.

I'm not going to deny that you don't need to spend money to become viable but saying every card is legal since launch is just not true. Maybe it's been a while since you last played.

It also makes for extremely annoying decks that base around the expansions very OP cards. The ladder is FILLED with nothing but like 3-4 types of different decks, 3 of them aggro. 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited December 2016
    Hearthstone is as popular as ever.  It's free so nothing lost in trying it.  I've been playing it off and on for a couple years and often watch it on twitch.

Before you spend any money on adventures or packs though- take note that a almost all adventures and expansions are going to be rotated out of standard when the next expansion comes (probably a couple months).  That means the only cards you can use in standard format are basic, classic, Karazhan and Gadgetzstan (and the new adventure).  So don't spend any money or in-game gold on anything but those packs or adventures.

Ahhh well, I stand corrected on having to buy all the cards from the beginning.  It was true when I played up to 12 months ago.

Either way OP, this isn't the game I would start playing now.  It has about as much tactical depth as a petri dish, and if you've ever played any real CCG's, then this game will only disappoint.  Again, I would look into Gwent or some other recently released options.  HS is really the lowest common denominator when it comes to the DCG entry list.

Personally, I'm very excited about the re-release of Legend of the Five Rings.  Fantasy Flight Games bought the IP outright last year and they are rebooting the game in 2017.  I'm definitely going to get back into it again, as it's one of, if not the best, CCG I've ever played.

OK, thanks guys.  Man, I don't want to pay a ton to get a decent deck.  What are my other options?  Gwent?  Hex or something?
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Im just DYING to hear what ccg lets you get a top tier deck right from the get-go.

I mean, people here make it sound like hearthstone is a ripoff. What a joke.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited December 2016
    OK, thanks guys.  Man, I don't want to pay a ton to get a decent deck.  What are my other options?  Gwent?  Hex or something?
    Don't believe everything you read mate.

My suggestion? Watch Trump videos on youtube. He's a tournament player that has a bunch of videos that teach you how to play.

1 - Every year he makes a free 2 play run to show people you can do it for free (Uses a new account every time).

2 - Has a small series of how to build a deck with every class and what it should be the end goal. (They are a bit outdated now that there is standard)

My personal favourite reason:

3 - The interactive arena where he gives you a couple seconds to choose what you think is best between the 3 cards, then explains why what he picks is best. At the end of the draft you get a total score how you fared with his choices. Then he plays the arena run with the deck built and you can see what to do and not to do. Obviously he makes mistakes too, but he's great to learn if you are new.

I haven't played hearthstone for a while but since I still watch him play on youtube, i'm honestly better than all the people I encountered at college and some friends that play the game. Its not only how you build a deck, but you also have to think and understand what are your threats and how to overcome them during a battle.

My personal reason for stopping is because I got sick of everyone using stupid aggro decks.

BizkitNL said:
    Im just DYING to hear what ccg lets you get a top tier deck right from the get-go.

That sounds like a flaw with how CCGs are monetized, not the player base. 

Your kind of thinking is what keeps CCGs what they are, a massive time and money sink. Not sure why you're proud of that.
    BizkitNL said:

Your kind of thinking is what keeps CCGs what they are, a massive time and money sink. Not sure why you're proud of that.
    Why should a new player get all the cards instantly? How will he learn what each card does? How will they keep them playing?

I only ever spent money once in hearthstone and that was to unlock two wings of an adventure, the rest I got a bunch of legendaries and such on my own because I learned how to play and got good.

BizkitNL said:

It is a rip-off.  If I want a top tier LOT5R or MtG deck right this minute, then I go down to my local gaming store and buy them right out of the display case.  It sure as hell won't cost me hundreds.

Hearthstone is not a Collectible Card Game.  It's a Digital Card Game.  They own all the rights to the cards and they don't allow selling or trading to other players.  This means that to get the top cards in the game you either have to be really lucky or dust a shit-ton of useless cards and make the ones you want.  Which will also cost you money.

In a real CCG, if I'm missing that one critical card, then I eBay it or buy it from my local retailer who opens up two boxes of boosters every time a new expansion comes out and sells singles.  DCG's are a 100% pure ripoff.  You don't even get to keep the cards if they decide to shutter the servers in two years due to population.  Your "investment" just vanishes.  But hey, I'm a relic of another time, so I see this one way and other people will see it another.
    Just to be clear, I'm not concerned about getting a top-end deck for high ranking competitive play.  I just want to be able to be relatively competitive in the casual rankings, with the average player.
    Just to be clear, I'm not concerned about getting a top-end deck for high ranking competitive play.  I just want to be able to be relatively competitive in the casual rankings, with the average player.
    The best way to stay "competitive" while new, is to stay in the rank 20s in rank mode.

Casual mode is not exactly casual in hearthstone.

Bloodaxes said:
    The best way to stay "competitive" while new, is to stay in the rank 20s in rank mode.

Casual mode is not exactly casual in hearthstone.

Yeah, the 20 ranking system is what I meant.  I know I'll never be a top player, my mind doesn't work that way in these types of games and I'm not that competitive by nature.  I just enjoy it for casual fun.
    Bloodaxes said:
    BizkitNL said:

Why should a new player get all the cards instantly? How will he learn what each card does? How will they keep them playing?

I only ever spent money once in hearthstone and that was to unlock two wings of an adventure, the rest I got a bunch of legendaries and such on my own because I learned how to play and got good.

Sorry but I call bullshit.

So you got a bunch of legendaries? Good for you. I'm sure 80% of them are not useful at all. There's a select number of legendaries that are worth your 1600 and most of them get rotated out every 2 expansions, so your hard-earned 1600 dust that you crafted is just wasted if you never play Wild.

There isn't a "gitgud lol" in this game, it's RNG and based on how well you roll on the packs you unlock - granted that some of the adventures DO give decent lengendary cards.

I can "gitgud" my way to the top of ladder with enough time and pack RNG if I made a new account. Doesn't sound much like skill to me. 

Also, why should a new player get all the cards? Uhh.. never said that. I said that monetization like a real life CCG through virtualization is not a great idea in my opinion.  Read my post before you babyrage.

@MightyUnclean , just play the game to have fun for sure if you're going to stay a free player. It's no use trying to play any sort of competitive gameplay here if you're not willing to spend money, no matter what anyone tells ya. 
    Oh I'm willing to spend money, like $50-75...If I break that out over time played, I'd get my $$ worth.

Question:  Do you still have to do annoying PvE AI content to get desirable cards?  Like Naxx, I think it was, where you had to build specific decks to counter the abilities of the "boss" AI bots?
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Wizardry said:
    Adventures are a different way Blizzard found as a gimmick to sell cards.

Man oh man,it would take me 6+ paragraphs to fully explain the corrupt way Blizzard is doing business here,but that is why they make millions.

Adventures are a VERY short sort of content idea/minigames sort of speak where you unlock>>>>get this 3 maybe 4/5/6 cards LMAO and that costs usually around 8 bucks.They usually have around 4/5 episodes per run of this gimmick so 4-5x8 =32-40 bucks.Of this entire gimmick,maybe you'll find use for 3/4/5 of those cards,of recent Reno Jackson is the most popular.Card text....If deck contains no duplicates you get full health back.

Thing is that THIS gimmick allowed players with a lot of saved gold to just buy these mini expansions with in game earned gold,so Blizzard makes less profit.So they returned to outright selling card packs of which you get approx 2 Legend cards per 40 packs/$50.This makes them a LOT more money because players want to be winners and play the same decks as the pros,so they buy MANY more packs in hopes of getting the Rares and Legendary they need.

I can tell you since i have many accounts,that at the locked rank of 20 "no matter how often you lose" you will notice most players have all the best cards and are using the best proven tier decks.So "competitive" is a loose term,you need a  lot of skill/knowledge of the cards and to spend a fair bit of money ,like $100++ to get anywhere.

Damn you chat a lot about nothing, We get it you re butthurt, especially against Blizz. Go outside and breath fresh air sometime soon, it won t hurt.
    edited December 2016
    Sorry but I call bullshit.

So you got a bunch of legendaries? Good for you. I'm sure 80% of them are not useful at all. There's a select number of legendaries that are worth your 1600 and most of them get rotated out every 2 expansions, so your hard-earned 1600 dust that you crafted is just wasted if you never play Wild.

There isn't a "gitgud lol" in this game, it's RNG and based on how well you roll on the packs you unlock - granted that some of the adventures DO give decent lengendary cards.

I can "gitgud" my way to the top of ladder with enough time and pack RNG if I made a new account. Doesn't sound much like skill to me. 

Also, why should a new player get all the cards? Uhh.. never said that. I said that monetization like a real life CCG through virtualization is not a great idea in my opinion.  Read my post before you babyrage.

@MightyUnclean , just play the game to have fun for sure if you're going to stay a free player. It's no use trying to play any sort of competitive gameplay here if you're not willing to spend money, no matter what anyone tells ya. 
    I have sylvanas, tirion, dr boom, ragnaros, cenarius, antonidus, the priest one that swaps health, gromash hellscream etc etc etc

You call those bad? Mate I only crafted ragnaros, the rest I got from opening packs with ingame gold. I learned how to play, and did a bunch of arena runs. Infact, I got twice 12 wins.

You can get good cards without paying money if you are not an impatient brat that wants everything instantly.

The majority of the digital trading card games are all built the same, hearthstone is no exception. So don't make it sound like hearthstone is the only digital card game that makes you want to spend money on packs because it's not the first, and won't be the last game to do that.