Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NetEase Announces Anime Series, EN Version Not Confirmed - Revelation Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageNetEase Announces Anime Series, EN Version Not Confirmed - Revelation Online - MMORPG.com

Revelation Online News - NetEase has announced that an anime series based on Revelation Online is in the works. The gaming giant is working with Sparkly Key Animation Studio to produce the series. At this time it is unknown if an English language version will be released as well. NetEase released a teaser trailer for the series. Check them out!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    edited December 2016
    Like I said in another thread, if you intend to play MMORPG's in the future, you'd be well advised to learn Mandarin... :wink:

Seriously, with a population of 1.4 billion, the Chinese games market dwarfs the NA and EU combined. And it's a single market with one set of laws and speaking basically one language...

A year or two from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new MMO launching in the Chinese market every other week !
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2016
    The story of this mmorpg is definitely one of its weakest points.
    Post edited by Albatroes on
  • hellzerhellzer Member UncommonPosts: 19
    The weeaboo community of this game is cancer... So most of us won't even know how good the game is.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Still better than Sword Art Online.
  • BryanSBryanS Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Anime it is not. Anime is specifically Japanese animation. This is Asian animation for sure, but this is poorly done by a Chinese CG studio. I am liking the game, but it is, most certainly, very Chinese. The CBT has a long way to go in localization before I can consider myself all in. It has a great deal of promise, though. The combat is fun and the dungeons are a blast. I can't say anything about the story just yet, though, because a great deal of it is still untranslated in the CBT.
    Aori said:

Aeander said:

I never really understood the hate on SAO, the first season isn't awful. Though I still believe .Hack did it first and best, shame that game/anime doesn't get the recognition for it.

That said, not sure why you brought up SAO, it was a Novel > anime > game and not a real MMO.
    Log Horizon > all
    Aori said:
    Albatroes said:
    Aori said:

Aeander said:

I never really understood the hate on SAO, the first season isn't awful. Though I still believe .Hack did it first and best, shame that game/anime doesn't get the recognition for it.

That said, not sure why you brought up SAO, it was a Novel > anime > game and not a real MMO.
    Log Horizon > all
    Log Horizon is far to slow, the pacing in the novels is almost as if the writer hit a brick wall and isn't sure how to progress. I don't mind LH, it is decent but it doesn't have the dark overtones that .Hack or even SAO has. They all seem pretty chill they're stuck in a virtual space.. which baffles me.

Overlord is the true king though ;)

Still though, this is all unrelated. I do find it interesting that Revelation Online and Blade and Soul are very similar appearance/setting and both released "anime" media based on their games. Though Blade and Soul was a proper Anime done by Gonzo.
    We'll agree to disagree on LH, but I agree on B&S anime being done pretty well. Even though B&S's actual story is kinda hit or miss (for me at least), the anime did well focusing on one aspect of the game while tossing some other things in on occasion. I think that's a good approach since most game related anime try to tackle all aspects of the game in a short amount of episode.
    edited December 2016
    Aori said:

Aeander said:

The reason I brought it up was that it is an anime based on the concept of a MMO.

The hate comes from several places. As a contest entry, SAO was rushed and condensed, exacerbating any writing problems it might have. And oh boy, did it ever have problems.

Plot Pacing- SAO's plot establishes itself strongly, then shits the bed. The concept of a life or death MMO dies within the first few episodes as time skips cut out dozens of boss encounters at the same time and kill hundreds of players offscreen with death toll announcements. Instead of focusing on, you know, the actual premise of the show, they'd rather make episodes about fishing or detective work.

Plot Pacing 2 - SAO, instead of intelligently focusing on developing one world like a decent work of writing, goes on to jump into entirely new worlds like a poor man's Tsubasa Chronicles.

Main Character - Kirito is not a character. He is a plot device. Nothing can even remotely threaten him. He will always win through some combination of power and deus ex machina. And unlike similarly godlike characters (like Hellsing's Alucard), he has no definable personality and no aspirations. 

It's a harem anime disguised as a MMO anime - yawn. 

Deus ex Machinas - Why does Yui even exist? Why can Kirito cheat death at the end of SAO? Why did he suddenly receive admin rights from a ghostly SAO programmer at the end of Alfheim? Because the writer sucks at storytelling, that's why. 

All of the secondary characters suck - Every harem member is lacking in personality except for Asuna, who is just a classic tsundere. None of the male secondary characters get screen time to present even that much.

The MMOs themselves are unplayable - No one would play Sword Art Online. It has no tanking, no support, no classes, no roles, zones that randomly disable healing crystals, rewards players for stealing boss kills, allows every boss to be challenged by infinite players of any level, and splits xp between group members encouraging solo play. Also, it has infinite levels and randomly gives players exclusive skills that no one else can have - in a pvp game. And that's ignoring the fact that it kills you. And the other MMOs featured in this anime are even worse.

And there's so much more. The fact that there are channels with popular videos featuring HOURS of valid criticism of this dumpster fire says all that needs to be said.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2016
    Sadly it'll  probably be more of a generic story than a story about people playing an MMO.  Blech.
  • zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    why ask the question if there's going to be a localized version? i have yet to met a weeaboo that prefers localized voiceovers over the original.. and I dont think theres a lot of people whon watch anime and call theirselves weeaboo.
    zenomex said:
    why ask the question if there's going to be a localized version? i have yet to met a weeaboo that prefers localized voiceovers over the original.. and I dont think theres a lot of people whon watch anime and call theirselves weeaboo.
    I have never met anyone who does either. But what is a weeabo to a normal person? Someone who watches too much anime? Anyone who likes anime? Someone who goes to anime conventions? 
  • zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    edited December 2016

Aeander said:

zenomex said:

I have never met anyone who does either. But what is a weeabo to a normal person? Someone who watches too much anime? Anyone who likes anime? Someone who goes to anime conventions? 

the people who "call themselves weeaboo" *EDIT: noticed I completely screwed up the last sentence in the post u quoted :P I meant to say that I don't think that there's an awful lot of people that call themselves weeaboo and care for the localization of an anime unless its to japanese.
    Aori said:
    zenomex said:

Aeander said:

zenomex said:

the people who "call themselves weeaboo" *EDIT: noticed I completely screwed up the last sentence in the post u quoted :P I meant to say that I don't think that there's an awful lot of people that call themselves weeaboo and care for the localization of an anime unless its to japanese.
    I don't know anyone who refers to themselves as a weeaboo. Honestly the term has been stretched so much to include anyone who likes anything remotely Asian and not just Japanese.

I've watched over 10,000 hours of Anime, prefer Japanese dub and simply prefer most Japanese media to western media but I am no weeaboo.
    It wouldn't even be necessary if most western television wasn't a complete dumpster fire.