Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobile Version Announced by Snail Games - Dark and Light - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageMobile Version Announced by Snail Games - Dark and Light - MMORPG.com

Dark and Light News - 2P.com is reporting that Snail Games has announced a mobile version of Dark & Light is in the works and that it will be released sometime in 2017. D&L mobile is being developed on Snail's proprietary Flexi Engine with four races, eight classes and nine regions. Players can also expect guild sieges, PvE content, raids, flying mounts and more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Wh.....what?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    What if the PC version was really the mobile version and they used that to just hype it. For all we know, the gifs we've seen so far could've came from the mobile version. Tip Snail: Release the PC version first THEN talk about a mobile version...
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Not surprising really. 

The Chinese mobile market generates astounding levels of revenue.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2016

Albatroes said:

What if the PC version was really the mobile version and they used that to just hype it. For all we know, the gifs we've seen so far could've came from the mobile version. Tip Snail: Release the PC version first THEN talk about a mobile version...

Release PC version.
    Go bankrupt.
    Release .... oh wait no money.

And they might still suffer that fate releasing the mobile version first. However the market is bigger and the work involved is doubtless less.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    gervaise1 said:

Albatroes said:

Release PC version.
    Go bankrupt.

And they might still suffer that fate releasing the mobile version first. However the market is bigger and the work involved is doubtless less.
    Nah, the "PC version" is going to be aimed at the NA/EU Early Access market, where it will generate a good wad of cash as players rush to buy Founder's Packs based on pretty screenshots and 12 seconds of game play footage.

The revenue raised by PC Early Access sales can then be used to properly develop the mobile version for the Chinese market (which is where the real profits are). They can then forget about the PC version and just leave it in Early Access for a few years before closing it down...
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

gervaise1 said:

Albatroes said:

Release PC version.

Go bankrupt.

Dunno about bankrupt, could fail but bankrupt? Afaik they are one a the biggest gaming company in China, like blizz here?

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited December 2016
    1st news we'll get in 2017 is that Dark and Light 2 early access is for 2018 ... (with screenshots of it mind you)
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Woooooww!! A mobile version of a game that's not even released!

:awesome:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • SirLornSirLorn Member UncommonPosts: 212

gervaise1 said:

Albatroes said:

Release PC version.

Go bankrupt.

Always such lack of research when folks open their mouths these days....I am pretty sure DnL regardless of which releases first or whatever, will not bankrupt this Chinese megalith ..... look into the OBox, you don't make ventures into the hardware market, ummm lightly

I do not usually play mobile games either, unless it is a racer or something 'quick' cause #biobreakgamingisathing =P but maybe Snail Games will bridge this gap between the 'platform wars' and make a mobile MMO worthy of more of my time
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    This probably means the PC version never sees the light of day
  • UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited December 2016
    Well Square did a remarkable job with Mobious on mobile devices and tablets...so its not too far out there to think this would work and look just as good.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    This probably means the PC version never sees the light of day
    Since they just launched their steam page that probably is not the case.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited December 2016
    Seems like they expect a lot to come from their IP. I can see why they did this, due to the popularity of the mobile platform, but... seems to be a big chunk of development cost when they haven't gauged the popularity of the PC version. I hope it works out and if I can be selfish I hope they use this mobile platform to allow crafting for the PC version via an app!
  • KataalKataal Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Do not want. I get that the foreign market for mobile games is huge, but I've yet to see a mobile MMO outside of Adventure Quest 3D and a few asobimo games even come close to feeling like a true MMO, and even then mobile UIs just don't work well with these kinds of games imo.

In all honestly, they really should just focus resources on getting the PC version released and make sure it actually works and makes a profit this time around (since it obviously didn't the first time) before sinking money and resources into a mobile version.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    you know when a sort of mmopg like this game, goes to complete shit, when the game is developed around mobile gaming..

thx for info.. scapping this one off my list
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

you know when a sort of mmopg like this game, goes to complete shit, when the game is developed around mobile gaming..

Yep, cause the PC game will be the EXACT replica of the mobile version. Gotta love logic!

Lol, you my friend, are funny.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

Yep, cause the PC game will be the EXACT replica of the mobile version. Gotta love logic!

you actually think a mobile is as powerfull as a desktop pc?

talking about logic
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

talking about logic
    They are more capable than they used to be, but they are nowhere even close to that of a desktop pc, but it does sound as though DnL is going to be mobile focused, and for their home market that probably makes sense, the pc version however, well i wouldn't get my hopes up at this point really, i have a feeling this is but the beginning of the drama that DnL will inevitably become.
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

talking about logic
    Ummmmmmmmmm, re-read what I said... It's meant to say the opposite if you comprehend what I said, buddy.  Obviously PC's are 100x more powerful(Exaggerating of course but still PCs are way ahead), hence why I was making that comment.  Let me rephrase it for you so you understand it better :)  Mobile gaming is not nearly, not even close to PC gaming right now in terms of power, therefor the mobile version will not be anything like the PC version.  
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited December 2016

Dragnelus said:

gervaise1 said:

Albatroes said:

Release PC version.

Go bankrupt.

Dunno about bankrupt, could fail but bankrupt? Afaik they are one a the biggest gaming company in China, like blizz here?

Lol I agree.

People are delusional if they think SnailGames would go bankrupt, like everything depends on the NA and EU market Lmfao. The game is also coming out on consoles.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Can't wait to see if the game will actually be fun I have seen two failed Snail Games already, games If I was giving orders of how to develop would have been great but flat out ruined by the developers / snail.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Developing for two very different platforms, definitely not a good idea.  They are going to be using shortcuts up the gazoo.   Probably means that the PC version is going to take a real hit in the UI.  That does not bode well for it.
  • SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71
    By the sounds of it the PC version and mobile version will be two completely different games.