Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting a Good Example of How Crowdfunding Should Work - Hero's Song - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSetting a Good Example of How Crowdfunding Should Work - Hero's Song - MMORPG.com

Hero's Song News - John Smedley has sent out another note to backers of Hero's Song with some details about when refunds for the now-cancelled game will begin and to once again thank the crowdfunding community for its support. Of particular note is his assertion that, while some backers want the company to keep the money for their hard work, it sets a good example of how crowdfunding should work for Pixelmage to return all money with the same good faith that backers demonstrated in the first place.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Smedley shows 'em how it's done !

Strange days we live in...

I wonder who took the financial hit here, if not the crowdfunders ? Those devs surely didn't work for free ?
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I wonder who took the financial hit here, if not the crowdfunders ? Those devs surely didn't work for free ?

I would say Smedley himself will take the hit financially, or bankruptcy might be in his/his company's future.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    That's encouraging to see they are doing right by their backers. However, it's a shame the game didn't pan out :(
    --------------------------------------------
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    It's a smart play, as at the end of the day he may feel like he'll get more backers next time if, when the project doesn't pan out, they get their money back. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Well TECHNICALLY... the right way for it to work would be for the company to deliver on their product with the features promised.

I agree though that when a company CANNOT do that, by promising full refunds is the right thing to do.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kudos to PixelMage as I said in the other thread. Has to be the core backers doing the refunds.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Very good.

I am disappointed they couldnt figure out a way to keep going. I loved the ideas and especially the art style this game offered. If I were Smed I would work on this in the background and try again in the future when the core game is more ready.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

If it was a small unknown figure than the chances are that the "CEO" of the company would have done the initial investment and in this case he would be the one to lose money, however Smedley isn't some small unknown figure, so I'm pretty sure he hasn't spend a dime and he got funds from somewhere.

It's good that they are refunding the backers, but something still doesn't feel right.
    I wouldn't be surprised that the reason for cancelling this is that the initial investor after checking some data has decided that it's not profitable enough to invest anymore and the money from CF is basically nothing compared to what Smedley probably expected when he started this project.

My guess is that they could have done the game, but by the data they got it was showing that it wouldn't bring the millions they were hoping and I doubt figures like Smedley would waste his time if he isn't going to get at least $1-2 mils at the end of the year in his pocket.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Let's be honest the only reason he gave the money back is because if he didn't he would be finished in the industry for good. It was a strategic move of self preservation and this project was complete garbage.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

/agreed!

Never thought I would have to say "nice job" to Smedley but he is really stepping up to the plate on this one and doing the right thing.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

Do you live in the USA? If so you took the hit I guess or the banks?. Any steam game published has to be legally under a business name for protection of Steam, And the developer(s). Meaning that if they refunded everyone and he is not pumping his own money into it he will just file for bankruptcy.

SNIP

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2016
    TimEisen said:

Rasiem said:

Let's be honest the only reason he gave the money back is because if he didn't he would be finished in the industry for good. It was a strategic move of self preservation and this project was complete garbage.

Isn't every business move a strategic one of self motivation if for nothing else than being an entity created entirely for self preservation? In fact, isn't every celebrity move brand marketing? Isn't all kindness also self serving even if its only for self satisfaction? I dunno. Some good brain food you generated. Either way I'm glad he did it this way, especially after several crowd funded projects have failed to.

What's more, if these are all strategic moves and self satisfaction and brand marketing and it's all in the interest of self-preservation and we all have an interest in self-preservation...  Is it even a negative trait to act in self-interest?  Can good be spotted if there's no backdrop of bad to set it against?  If light didn't exist, would dark even have a meaning?

I bet Snapple knows, and they're purposefully keeping it from their caps.  Damn Snapple.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318

TimEisen said:

Rasiem said:

Isn't every business move a strategic one of self motivation if for nothing else than being an entity created entirely for self preservation? In fact, isn't every celebrity move brand marketing? Isn't all kindness also self serving even if its only for self satisfaction? I dunno. Some good brain food you generated. Either way I'm glad he did it this way, especially after several crowd funded projects have failed to.

Absolutely im glad he did this as well but im not gonna blow him over being a good person especially when I know he didnt do this for me. All im sayin.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    John Smedley is the reason why this game failed.

So..he doesn't have any advices to give to anybody.

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I am a backer and this saddens me, as I was really looking forward to the finished product. The fact that we are getting a refund is impressive. Smedley is a passionate developer / gamer and I respect that.
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    If they still have (at least some of) the money lying around, or someone who already has too much money is willing to take the hit, then sure. That said, they really should have made sure the game was possible, and realistically budgeted, in the first place (including any R&D budget they may have needed for the as yet unknowns).

Expecting other crowd funding projects to follow their example is just un-realistic, and people need to go in with the expectation that once they hit that 'Back This Project' button the money is as good as gone.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Okay, my "Bad Feelings" against Smed aside; That is a very smart move!!
    That earned my appreciation! Well done; for the Gamers which believed in "his" Idea.
    I'll hope that other Crowdfunding Companies adapt this.
    */bow*
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

acidblood said:

If they still have (at least some of) the money lying around, or someone who already has too much money is willing to take the hit, then sure. That said, they really should have made sure the game was possible, and realistically budgeted, in the first place (including any R&D budget they may have needed for the as yet unknowns).

Expecting other crowd funding projects to follow their example is just un-realistic, and people need to go in with the expectation that once they hit that 'Back This Project' button the money is as good as gone.

I do not agree.

Doing a project through crowdfunding should not be a get out of jail free card. Either deliver as promised or take the hit yourself.

I whole heartedly approve of this approach, and i hope it becomes the norm. Would do wonders for crowdfunding in general.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    It's nice that they're refunding the money, but I think that the crowdfunding was a mistake in the first place. Putting a flexible funding goal in Indiegogo is akin to saying 'we just want your money, don't expect anything'. The Kickstarter campaign told them that there's not as much support for the idea as they wanted. They should have gone to the drawing board then, instead of moving to Indiegogo with a much lower goal and flexible funding. So much as I think that the refund is a good move, the game shouldn't have taken that crowdfunding money in the first place.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DMKano said:

This whole thing about giving refunds is  - umm that's how it's supposed to work - so not sure why even mention it.

They very fact that this is newsworthy (and somewhat unexpected) tells it's own story, doesn't it ?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    DMKano said:
    I don't care about my refund frankly.

This whole thing about giving refunds is  - umm that's how it's supposed to work - so not sure why even mention it. Kind of like saying "I went my entire life without robbing a bank" - umm yeah you're not supposed to rob a bank, so why even bring it up?

So this enire thing of "hey we just want to tell everyone that we are doing what we are supposed to do" - none of that matters to me - the only thing I was interested in was playing a finished Hero's Song game.

They failed in the only thing I cared about - delivering the finished product, so it's a huge failure in my book.

I agree with the sentiment that the RIGHT way to Crowdfund is to deliver the product but the fact that they claim (haven't gotten mine yet) they will refund to all backers is a step above the typical Crowdfunding stuff.  Most companies try to point and say they spent all the money.  So Sorry...

But yes this SHOULD be the norm.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Yes every crowdfunded game should turn out like this.......
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    I don't care about my refund frankly.

This whole thing about giving refunds is  - umm that's how it's supposed to work - so not sure why even mention it. Kind of like saying "I went my entire life without robbing a bank" - umm yeah you're not supposed to rob a bank, so why even bring it up?

So this enire thing of "hey we just want to tell everyone that we are doing what we are supposed to do" - none of that matters to me - the only thing I was interested in was playing a finished Hero's Song game.

They failed in the only thing I cared about - delivering the finished product, so it's a huge failure in my book.

I agree with the sentiment that the RIGHT way to Crowdfund is to deliver the product but the fact that they claim (haven't gotten mine yet) they will refund to all backers is a step above the typical Crowdfunding stuff.  Most companies try to point and say they spent all the money.  So Sorry...

But yes this SHOULD be the norm.

It should be the norm - so it shouldn't be mentioned.

If they went far beyond the norm - like giving additional 10% on all refunds, THEN that would be worth tooting their horn about.

But just doing what you're supposed to do - we shouldn't be praising that as we're lowering the bar for everyone, and that's just wrong.
    I can agree it should be the norm to give back money if you don't deliver, but for people that funded thru indiegogo they didn't have to give a dime back.  That is were this is interesting in itself.  Part of that particular program vs other funding methods is that they don't have to repay for failed or undelivered projects.  It is one of the reason many are using it now instead of some of the others that have clauses for completion and delivery. They don't have to give anything back to anyone really as long as they can show were every dollar was spent with some of the ones with completion clauses. Overall I can say this is the first failed project that I have seen a developer actually return or at least say they will return all backed funds outright.  Now if they actually do it will be something else.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Give credit where credit is due.

Sad that this project couldn't reach completion. I did enjoy my time with it.

Kudos to Smed and company for doing the right thing. Showing that the project was about more than just the money.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    "Setting a Good Example of How Crowdfunding Should Work"

You mean... quit on the game? :D
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED