Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A very popular item...

postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
Take a look at this table and the hutch against the wall in Pantheon. Beautiful! Amazing video game craftsmanship.

Oh wait....look familiar? They should since you can find them in Shroud of the Avatar as well...

What was it someone was saying recently on this forum about how expensive and time-consuming the graphic design is in SotA, which is what takes up a lot of the cost of development? Oh, really...

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Kind of funny. Like 2 women at a party wearing the same "designer" dress...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Sure.  Its not nefarious and its not a huge deal.  Kind of like the Wilheim scream is in every movie...  

Still like my analogy though

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    DMKano said:
    There are companies who make 3d assets for games and sell them to game studios. What you are seeing here is what happens when the same asset packages get sold to different companies.

Yes, I know they are buying them. We all know Portalarium uses stock trees and host of other items, sometime directly out of the Unity store.

What we also know (now) is they are turning around and selling them in their add-ons store, unmodified.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    omg end of the world, this game will fail because of this

do people really spend time looking at tables and chairs?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Myrdynn said:

I guess as long as there is still some RP left in mmoRPgs, people will still look at and use chairs and tables :)

/sit
    /cheers
    /drink

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited December 2016
    I'm glad technology and shared assests are available across MMOs in order to make them cheaper to make, especially in an era of less and less AAA MMO budgets.
    DMKano said:
    There are companies who make 3d assets for games and sell them to game studios. What you are seeing here is what happens when the same asset packages get sold to different companies.

Yes, I know they are buying them. We all know Portalarium uses stock trees and host of other items, sometime directly out of the Unity store.

What we also know (now) is they are turning around and selling them in their add-ons store, unmodified.
    This is a bigger deal to me if they are indeed taking Unity assests, rather than ones they make themselves, and reselling them to recoup the cost or make a profit. Not that they can't, there may not be anything legally wrong with it, but I certainly would not buy anything in that environment. Kind of brilliant really but slimey none the less.
    Myrdynn said:

After three and a half years of mediocre development, clunky combat, poor performance, not following through on the kickstarter 'sales pitch", terrible NPC AI, and disjointed storyline....YES. 

BUT...they have time for a $15 puke & drunk emote, $15 marching band shirt and hat, $35 four-piece snowman set, $110 hot air balloon, trees and furniture ripped "as is" from the asset store and resold...and every month we hear the same shit...

Rain still coming through the roofs of houses...for the past 9 releases.
    Targeting system still broken...for the past 8 releases.
    UI text doesn't wrap correctly...for the past 11 releases.
    Death from invisible archers...for the past 6 releases.
    Performance spikes in cities...for the past 9 releases.
    Skin tones on different parts of bodies don't match...for the past 17 releases.
    Catipulted into the air when leaving an instance or opening a door in a house (which results in your character dying)...for the past 6 releases.

Shall I go on?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Myrdynn said:

After three and a half years of mediocre development, clunky combat, poor performance, not following through on the kickstarter 'sales pitch", terrible NPC AI, and disjointed storyline....YES. 

BUT...they have time for a $15 puke & drunk emote, $15 marching band shirt and hat, $35 four-piece snowman set, $110 hot air balloon, trees and furniture ripped "as is" from the asset store and resold...and every month we hear the same shit...

Catipulted into the air when leaving an instance or opening a door in a house (which results in your character dying)...for the past 6 releases.

Shall I go on?

OMG they haven't finished the game yet have they!

Seriously though, if when the game finally completed and those issues aren't addressed, then that will be the time to complain about it, unfinished games tend to be a tad incomplete after all. :o

One of the reasons i don't wish to participate in a games early access is because i don't wish to experience the games faults during production etc. i'd rather spend my time playing finished games. ;)
    edited December 2016
    Phry said:
    Myrdynn said:

Shall I go on?

Yep, still in alpha after three years because they spent all their time reselling making fluff items for the store, improving player-owned towns, and selling their blood in artwork for 6K - $13K.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's a minor case of asset flipping. It's all the rage these days especially in small-budget indie development. There are even documented cases of games released on Steam that are nothing more than 100% asset flips.

Here, let Unity itself tell you about it:

“there’s always going to be folks who exploit a good thing for personal gain without giving something back.  I’m referring to the handful of Asset Store users out there who have taken Unity demo products and Asset Store starter products, slapped their name on it without contributing or creating anything original, and uploading it for sale on popular online game marketplaces.”
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Hmmm, I am surprised IKEA havn't started selling furnitures pack like this as well...

But to be honest, finding out that Sauron and Voldemort have the same taste in tables is not really a biggie. As long as the stuff fits the game they can use the same stuff, who cares?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Phry said:
    Myrdynn said:

Shall I go on?

Yep, still in alpha after three years because they spent all their time reselling making fluff items for the store, improving player-owned towns, and selling their blood in artwork for 6K - $13K.

Welcome to crowdfunding, where raising money for development is just as important an activity as actual development. 

However, sometimes the fundraising takes priority...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited December 2016
    Phry said:
    Myrdynn said:

Shall I go on?

Without the funding raised by selling these "fluff" items likely the game stands no chance of being built at all.

The reality of many indie MMORPG dev's financial models is to get an early access (very incomplete) version out the door to generate sales and potential interest from investors or obtain additional crowd funding.

As Hero's Song recently showed it doesn't really work except for a few juggernauts such as SC.

My guess is most indie MMORPGs will never really reach what we've come to expect in terms of features and quality from a "launched" game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Nyctelios said:

I know the scope and size of companies is very different, but I thought that buying out as exclusivity was expected (and standard) if your project will become public or be sold. At least if you expect people to take your project seriously.
    That may still be the case in AAA development but it's definitely not so with the thousands of lower budget games being developed. Off the shelf, non exclusive assets are much cheaper so that's what they go with.

Expect to see a lot of the same 3D assets and even character models in many more games.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Considering the state of the genre, OP's outrage over something like this is laughable.
    Nyctelios said:
    Iselin said:
    Nyctelios said:

I know the scope and size of companies is very different, but I thought that buying out as exclusivity was expected (and standard) if your project will become public or be sold. At least if you expect people to take your project seriously.
    That may still be the case in AAA development but it's definitely not so with the thousands of lower budget games being developed. Off the shelf, non exclusive assets are much cheaper so that's what they go with.

Expect to see a lot of the same 3D assets and even character models in many more games.
    "At least if you expect people to take your project seriously."

If you can't afford your project then you should consider doing something else.
    You got to be kidding. Have you seen the amount of money gamers are willing to throw at any indie crowdfunded project with a good pitch that touches on the popular key phrases like "old fashioned", "sandbox", "open world", etc.?

There's money in them there hills, my boy. Being "taken seriously" is a luxury for real developers. The majority is just after the cash.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Myrdynn said:

That is very simplistic point of view.

The problem isn't the fact that some other game uses same assests as you but the lack of your very own assets.

Without unique art, it is very difficult to create desired feel and look of the game. It will just look generic and when your product isn't instantly recognized,you have a problem.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    They could pull the assets right from EQ IMO if the game is as fun as EQ was.  I actually would be happy if the classes had the same names and the spells/abilities were the same.  I don't believe that is the case though.  They already had to change the name of some classes because of copyright issues I believe.  Hopefully some classes will still be able to solo and kite.  That was probably my favorite part of EQ.