Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMORPG players fat ?

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    never have been fat :/ , and have been playing mmorpgs for years :P
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I'm in decent shape. 5'11, 80 kg, 1.8 m, rougly 10% body fat.

I even eat mcdonalds, I just stay away from mountain dew ;)
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    edited December 2016
    Feel free to come swim 1/2 mile and somewhat quick 7 min mile run afterwards. Then finish it off with some dips and parallel pull ups in the morning, call it good afterwards.

I have a stand up desk at work that keeps me on my feet and I bring my dog with me so encourages me to take breaks go on walks or runs with her.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Heretique said:
    I'm in decent shape. 5'11, 80 kg, 1.8 m, rougly 10% body fat.

I even eat mcdonalds, I just stay away from mountain dew ;)
    Had the Dew last week for the first time and ages,... that ruined my stomach BAD!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    why we would be more fat ?? because we play computer games or because you have watch south park and you think everyone like ''this'' guy ??

im going gym 3x week, totaly in shape, and before you ask the next question : im not a virgin and im good with girl, also got a real life !!
    More fat then who? is the correct question.

MMOers are among the hobbies you sit still while doing so, it is likelier that you are fat if you got a hobby like that instead of soccer or paintball. But I don't think MMOs make you fat, it is just that playing MMOs is one of the hobbies that are easy to do if you are out of shape.

But there are other things as well, if you are from US or GB it is likelier that you are overweight then from Japan or Scandinavia. 

Also, if you are lower middle class it is more likely then someone that is upper class, at least from the west. In a really poor country it is the other way around but in the west have rich people generallt both more time and money to spend on getting good food while poor people eats something cheap and quick which tend to be unhealthy.

I don't think MMOers are more fat then any other group of PC gamers. I could see though why people who have problems moving like MMOs since you can get some social interaction without leaving home but I still doubt MMOers have more weight problem then anyone else.

To me it sounds like good old stereotypical nerd hate, people tend to say the same thing about D&D players. boardgamers and so on as well.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

No, I ve played MMOs since UO and have never been fat, as a matter of fact I m 47 and in good shape. Recently bought a Bowflex Max Trainer M5 and love love love it. Great for people my age or older.

I also own my own business so I m too busy to get fat.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm not fat, I'm full-bodied. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    iixviiiix said:
    I see a lot post about MMORPG player are being fat  So ... as MMORPG.com member , are you fat ?

Well, most of them are American, so yeah. MMO players are really fat.

• Ronald88Ronald88 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Im not fat. 
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2016
    1.73m, about 63kg.
    no, not fat at all.

and sorry to burst your bubble...

black777 said:
    iixviiiix said:
    I see a lot post about MMORPG player are being fat  So ... as MMORPG.com member , are you fat ?

Well, most of them are American, so yeah. MMO players are really fat.
    is actually WAY outdated.
    asia and europe have way more players, each.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    6'2, 205. Been slacking off last few months. I could lose 5 lbs. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    It's spelled "Phat" and yes.
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I haven't really played a MMORPG seriously for years BUT when I did I was 235 lbs at 6'2" since I stopped playing them seriously I have put on 35 lbs (270 lbs) BUT I also quit smoking , had a cancerous tumor cut out of bladder, got married, had a child, got divorced...  LOL should have stuck with MMORPGs ;)
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Not at all, i'm a rather fit guy. I love outdoor activities of every kind and even if it's chopping firewood -as long as i'm out there it's all good. I envy the people that have a forest right behind the house and can go hike and disappear for days at a turn on the heel.
    I was very active in sports for 15 years (trained daily) and i'm glad that a basic fitness and body type always remained with me. Nowadays, i take my bike and go out for long rides every 2nd to 3rd day, no matter the season or weather -as i love to get "away from it all". Always taking my dog with me on those rides, so he is also incredibly fit.

So, i could hardly get fat even if i tried to. But then i'm also more of a nervous personality and literally already burn energy when i only sit there and think about things.

• NAERNAER Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I'm thicc. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Why have 6 little squares when you can have one big circle? :awesome:

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    5'8" 175 lbs here. I teach martial arts so it keeps me in shape.
    I like to run everyday  
    Close to the same for me (currently 5'9", 170).  I was at 185 when I was heavy into lifting and aerobic exercise...  180 is my goal weight by this spring.  Gonna try to re-dedicate myself to the gym, utilize less smoke, and get back on that cardio.

Wish me luck! :pleased:

• viney123viney123 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    edited December 2016
    5'11 (or 6'0?), 165 Pounds. I have a highly active job with lots of lifting and moving around. I'm also a Type 1 Diabetic, so keeping my weight and diet in check is key. Only thing I cheat on a bit is Diet Soda every now and then (but never buy it for the house). I also walk everywhere instead of driving.
  • Storm.Storm. Member UncommonPosts: 256
    In a question like this you're inviting response bias.

I do think MMOs more than anything else in my life, influenced my habits to become fat.

When I quit them, I dropped 65 pounds in 6 months, and in total dropped 74.5 pounds with big body composition changes.  Over one year I dropped 6 inches from my waist size, and went from a XXXL to fitting into L or XL depending on the brand.

I have spent more time with MMOs since the launch of Legion.  I have gained about 15 pounds since Legion started, but other life events are also influencing it.  2016  was a surprisingly stressful year for me, after having several incredibly amazing years in a row.  

I do think there is a balance to be had, but honestly the end-game idea of "maintenance gaming"  where you do the same thing every week to keep up is the  biggest culprit for me. 

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Some are, some not. 

Stupid question imo.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Fat players do play MMORPG.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    1.92m and 68-69kg. Played MMOs for many years. Don't exercise that much. Work as a developer. 
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    xmenty said:
    Fat players do play MMORPG.
    Insightful

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    i havent move out of my bed for 4 years now..

Simply because i cant

Everything is in handreach tho.. so im fine with living in my bed
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm not fat, just fluffy. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung