Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO License Allegedly Renewed

Good news for LOTRO fans, if it's legit!

http://dadislotroguides.com/lotro-licence-renewed/

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Well, time to subscribe to LOTRO next month! This is epic news. I knew this was going to happen too as this was a pretty obvious outcome, but I was worried that the game was ending. 

LOTRO is still by far the most immersive MMO out there, at least as far as themeparks go

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    That's great news, thanks Might (did I say I like your avatar?). :)

I didn't think anything else, who would bother to start a new company for a game that would close down in 2 months? But it is still great to have that officially.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Loke666 said:
    That's great news, thanks Might (did I say I like your avatar?). :)

I didn't think anything else, who would bother to start a new company for a game that would close down in 2 months? But it is still great to have that officially.

Thanks, man!  There's another member on here with a Lemmy pic, too.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    edited December 2016
    TheAmir said:
    Where's that naysayer that was glooming and dooming LOTRO would shut down in 2017? Is he busy eating his own shoe right now?
    Too early to tell, really, we'll have the shoe-eating a year from now, if required.

Let's first see if (and how) SSG make it through 2017.

It's a bit odd that they renewed the license quietly and told nobody other than a passing mention in a FAQ, but if that's how they want to communicate such important matters, I guess we'll have to accept it.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    TheAmir said:
    Where's that naysayer that was glooming and dooming LOTRO would shut down in 2017? Is he busy eating his own shoe right now?
    Too early to tell, really, we'll have the shoe-eating a year from now, if required.

It's a bit odd that they renewed the license quietly and told nobody other than a passing mention in a FAQ, but if that's how they want to communicate such important matters, I guess we'll have to accept it.
    To be fair I think we have to assume that the ex-Turbine staff moving to SSG will - in their own self-interest - worked with WarnerBros. to ensure at least a years worth of budget.

And that WB will have been keen to "put distance" between themselves and any future closure; probably adding a clause that SSG have to operate the game for at least a year in return for setting them up etc. Two years? Maybe not.

And would DBG have come on-board if 2017 wasn't "as guaranteed as these things can be" - maybe but would the money be worth the associated "bad press". 

So I think the short term future for LotR is bright. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    TheAmir said:
    He's three posts up from yours proclaiming he knew the LOTRO license would be picked up. 
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If you bothered to read the FAQ for the new studio, this was stated in there.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    gervaise1 said:
    TheAmir said:

To be fair I think we have to assume that the ex-Turbine staff moving to SSG will - in their own self-interest - worked with WarnerBros. to ensure at least a years worth of budget.

And that WB will have been keen to "put distance" between themselves and any future closure; probably adding a clause that SSG have to operate the game for at least a year in return for setting them up etc. Two years? Maybe not.

And would DBG have come on-board if 2017 wasn't "as guaranteed as these things can be" - maybe but would the money be worth the associated "bad press". 

Wild speculation is fun, but totally baseless. We have no idea of the terms of any of the contracts involved.

For all we know the dev team was given the option to move to SSG or receive a pink slip. The deal could have been: "We'll pay for the license and then you're on your own. Your Cash Shop sales cover your expenses, so no parachute for SSG is needed".

All we can say with certainty right now is that Lotro definitely has a short-term future. There are too many unknowns to take it any further.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    gervaise1 said:
    TheAmir said:

Wild speculation is fun, but totally baseless.
    But isn't all that "doom and gloom" also wild speculation?

It's almost as if some people continually say "Lord of the Rings Online will be ending" and then it's renewed and then they keep saying it and then one day it will be cancelled as many games are after a long period (looking at Asheron's call) only for them to say "see I told you!!!"
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I don't see any reason not to renew.  It's not like there's going to be another LOTR MMORPG.  If this one doesn't make it, then they aren't going to spend the resources to make LOTRO 2 in a post-MMO world, that's for sure.  Therefore, if the game is profitable at all, then why not continue to renew the license?

I would be willing to be that, as long as the player base doesn't plummet this year, that the game will continue on for several more years.  I mean look at Age of Conan... still chugging along despite the fact that a fair percentage of gamers probably think it was shut down. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    gervaise1 said:
    TheAmir said:

Wild speculation is fun, but totally baseless. We have no idea of the terms of any of the contracts involved.

For all we know the dev team was given the option to move to SSG or receive a pink slip. The deal could have been: "We'll pay for the license and then you're on your own. Your Cash Shop sales cover your expenses, so no parachute for SSG is needed".

All we can say with certainty right now is that Lotro definitely has a short-term future. There are too many unknowns to take it any further.
    Here's some wild speculation for you.

The reason the licencing  terms are being kept confidential is likely because they are no longer exclusive.

Or perhaps their continuation is based on minimum revenue targets which must be met to keep them in place.

Such fun. :)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    This has been a gaming myth for a long term:  LOTRO is about to shut because the license will not get renewed. Not sure the moment this started but the issue has been resolved (or at least rational people understand it, those tin foil hat types on here will not stop).  This recent change MAY be good news for LOTRO's future. Already the team has hinted at implementing changes many players want to see.  Were they being held back by Turbine?   Will there be enough revenue to keep them afloat?  Stay tuned and find out. I'll be in game and enjoying Gondor and North Ithilien like I have the last few weeks.  
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I have no doubts that SSG has acquired rights from Saul Zaentz Company through Middle Earth Enterprises.  That has never been in question.  These companies are acting in "business as usual" mode.

The bigger hurdle will be for SZC and MEE to renew their license from the Tolkien Estate.  That relationship has had a contentious lifetime over the years, as witnessed by numerous legal battles.  The upcoming 50th anniversary of that 1968 deal may be the last opportunity for the Tolkien Estate to revise that contract.

I really hope that everything is worked out smoothly; I want to continue playing LotRO.  But the past legal history between SZC and the Tolkien Estate suggests otherwise.  One end of the rope bridge seems secure, that's all we really know for now.  Let's hope that nothing happens to the other end of that rope.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.