Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early access titles

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
edited December 2016 in General Gaming
What's your stance on early access titles?

This article on Rust got me to think about it: http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/19/rust-dev-after-three-years-of-early-access-if-youre-bored-of-the-game-then-just-stop-playing-it/

In my case, whenever I see a game on Steam that looks cool and then see it's in early access, I throw it on my "following" list but I won't buy it.

Since I bought my ArcheAge $150 founders pack back in the day, I have stayed away from early access. Well, that's not true. I made an exception for Albion Online because I was really curious about it because of a thread on it saying how fun it was. I don't regret that purchase and I knew I was buying into it because I wanted to see what the people in that thread were raving about. 

But that is the only exception I made since AA. 

If I think about my criteria, I'm more likely to buy into an mmo because I want to check it out before I decide to commit my time to it in the future. That would be the case for why I bought into Albion. But this is a rare exception and it was based on the positive things people (that I think are reasonable members of the community) were saying about it in the thread I mentioned. For single-player or co-op games, I don't think I will ever buy early access.

What is your general attitude toward early access titles? Do you have specific criteria for deciding to buy in early access?

Post edited by d_20 on

Comments

• DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Personally, I don't do it. I've never done it. I can't definitively say I won't ever do it, but barring some unforeseen reason, I won't ever do it.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    edited December 2016
    I do it sometimes, but the early access/crowdfunding hype is really fading on me.
    Mostly cause of Crappy early features/graphics and abyssmal long development times. Not to forget that when "it's released" people have allready moved on :(

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I've never bought an early access game.  It's not some deep seeded hatred or anything.  I just like my games to be complete when I start them and get immersed without the worry of an artificial stop halfway through.  Than waiting for another year or more to get the rest.  By that point i'll probably not come back due to lack of interest.

This is the main reason I won't buy Divinity 2 even though I really want to.  I've said it before, I'm happy it's available for those that want to participate in it.  It's just not for me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    I'm cautious when I buy early access games but really the criteria for me is if my friends get it I pick it up as well. xD
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I buy EA titles if I see them fun to play, then I put them on the shelve for a year or if it feature complete aka released 1.0 then I'll play them again.
    Some has been a bust others I enjoyed immensely.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Well, the concept of "release" has largely become redundant lately.

It all started with F2P MMO's and their "soft launch" where the Cash Shop opened for business at the start of Open Beta. No wipes at "launch", etc.

Many of the "early access" titles are played by hundreds of thousands of paying customers long before they are released. Half the player base has moved on before the game even gets to "open beta".

Nowadays a game can quite feasibly make more money before launch than after. Consider Space Engineers, which has just gone into "Closed Beta" after 3 years as "Early Access"...
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I'm a firm believer in the idea of crowdfunding and I do support games that I'm interested in, that I feel are giving me good value. However, I rarely play during alphas, betas, or EA any more. I did my time testing games, now I'd rather just wait for them to come out. So I'll usually just wait for them to release. Perfect example is Grim Dawn. I backed it during it's initial funding, but literally just finished it 2 weeks ago. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I don't mind supporting games through crowd-funding, including Early Access programs. I also understand the risks that come with early access, and I accept those risks.

The biggest problem with Early Access is game developers are jumping in WAY too early in the development cycle. For every Early Access success story, like Darkest Dungeon, you have a handful of developers shooting themselves in the foot and dooming their game by releasing it too early. Black Death and Kings and Heroes come to mind as recent examples of this.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    A much overused and abused mechanic or tactic  from developers. And places like Steam that make profit from this.

Very few games turn out to be worth the time and cash for most people. 
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Going back to the example of Rust: So they spent 3 years in early access, and the most recent patch was a small one, but they complain that people complain about the game not being done? If the devs consider it done, why release a patch at all, and why is it still in early access? And if it's not done, why complain about people agreeing with you?

I actually bought Ark Survival Evolved a few weeks ago, i think thats my only Early Access game on Steam. I paid for two or three projects over on Kickstarter etc., so far the results are okayish. Oh, and i bought Minecraft before the official release, but only shortly. That was by far the best buy from all of these.

Generally i'm wary of these things, especially when it's that long like Rust. 3 years, seriously? I mean, some games take 10 years, and before it's done it's always technically "early access", but i don't think thats what early access was intended for.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I stay away from paying for early access. I did invest a hundred bucks in Pantheon though but that was because I want that game done. I will try it out a bit like an ordinary beta tester but I don't think I will put too much time into it before release, just enough to help crush some bugs and give some feedback.

I even pre-order stuff rarely, I think AoC and GW2 are the only MMOs (not because they scared me off, I beta tested AoCs before I ordered it (we begged them to wait 3 more months with the release BTW) and as a GW fan GW2 was an easy choice, don't regret either of them really, played AoC 9 months and still play Gw2). 

But I generally want to try a MMO before buying it, be that in closed or open beta or as a free trial. I want to support games that is acceptable or good, not ones that don't really work for me.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    For the most part early access is about paying money to fund an incomplete game and that's something I refuse to do. Additionally, early access titles spend way too much time in early access, its because many EA releases happen too early or that they have no idea how to complete the game.

Did purchase both grim dawn and darkest dungeon during early access but I got them 50% off and release was really close so was more of a really good discount pre-order than doing early access. Didn't even play them before release.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited December 2016
    Early Access titles are the games I play the most and if it wasnt for early access its likely I would no longer be playing games much. 

The only modern titles I can think of that I would be 'excited' to play that are not currently in early access or have been are Planet Coaster, Cities Skylines. Banished, Wurm Online.

All games on my current 'want to buy list' are early access titles. All the games I want to play the most are early access titles.

I dont know if its a bizzare set of coincidence that all the games like Space Engineers, The Forest, Subnatuatica, 7 days to die all of which I get excited about just happen to be early access but i doubt given the my full list of excitement (which is longer than the list above) I think its highly unlikely that its statistically by chance.

For me my choice in a game purchase is not a one of 'ethical simulator'. I buy and play what is interesting to me. A game does not magically become less interesting to me because of any promise the developer makes or any state the game is in. its strictly current game play is either engaging or its not. peroid. If I wish to be an 'ethical shopper' I will concern myself with ethics that matter first, like state funded wars for oil and the like.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I don't mind paying for Founders Packs and early access.  Paying for a game I like makes sense.  But I WILL NOT GIVE A NICKEL to a game I have not tried.  I am quite interested in Revelation Online, but no $$$ until I try it and of course assuming I like it...

NO KICKSTARTERS.  I am going to make an exception for Heroes & Villains, a game I am greatly anticipating, and also a game that won't launch their kickstarter until the game is 80% done, which will mean it is playable.  For that game I have a hundred bucks set aside.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

GladDog said:
    I don't mind paying for Founders Packs and early access.  Paying for a game I like makes sense.  But I WILL NOT GIVE A NICKEL to a game I have not tried.  I am quite interested in Revelation Online, but no $$$ until I try it and of course assuming I like it...

NO KICKSTARTERS.  I am going to make an exception for Heroes & Villains, a game I am greatly anticipating, and also a game that won't launch their kickstarter until the game is 80% done, which will mean it is playable.  For that game I have a hundred bucks set aside.
    I did a kickstarter type donation once and I was very hesitant about doing it and for good reason, I never got a game.

Survive the Nights

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I have no problem with early access or kickstarter.

You just have to be smart about it.

Don't give anything you are not willing to lose and only pick projects with people who have delivered many such games in the past or the project is mostly done and they need money for special effects (such as some movies I've backed).

If someone has a proof of concept and has no track record that would be a "no".

If someone promises the moon but they ask for very little and the title looks to be more complicated then that is a "no".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    SEANMCAD said:
    GladDog said:

I did a kickstarter type donation once and I was very hesitant about doing it and for good reason, I never haven't got a game, yet.

Survive the Nights

There, fixed it for you. This game is still actively being developed, right? They are also still active in their comments section and just released a couple updates to the community recently. Try not to be so glum, chum! All hope is not lost. It just takes time. Torment: Tides of Numenera SEEMS like something that should be pretty simple to do. It's a CRPG, they just did another CRPG so you would think they would have that "down" by now, there's nothing really innovative or difficult about it :) Yet, the release date was just announced and should be released just about 4 years to the date after their KS was originally launched. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    GladDog said:

I did a kickstarter type donation once and I was very hesitant about doing it and for good reason, I never haven't got a game, yet.

Survive the Nights

There, fixed it for you. This game is still actively being developed, right? ....
    I have no idea. its been (I think) more than a year since I paid

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    GladDog said:

Survive the Nights

There, fixed it for you. This game is still actively being developed, right? ....

Lol, yeah, it looks like they kicked this sucker off a couple years ago now. Again, it's sort of the nature of the beast, though. I did the same with Hex: Shards of Fate. I checked in on it a couple times but never realized it had released until they had been sold to GameForge. I don't know if my codes would still work or not at this point lol.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    GladDog said:

Survive the Nights

Lol, yeah, it looks like they kicked this sucker off a couple years ago now. Again, it's sort of the nature of the beast, though. I did the same with Hex: Shards of Fate. I checked in on it a couple times but never realized it had released until they had been sold to GameForge. I don't know if my codes would still work or not at this point lol.
    I am not implying that companies that do kickstarters are all corrupt. Its just that me personally if I give cash I want something in return that instants (when it comes to games)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I wouldn't buy into Early Access now for anything, particularly for games i really want to play, that may sound odd, but i'd rather not have the experience of playing the game reduced because its feature incomplete, i am patient enough that i can wait these days, as there is always the risk that if you play a game during early access that you will lose interest in the game and it will end up on the discard pile before its even completed, when waiting you could maybe have enjoyed the game more, and for much longer, so for games i really like the look of, i'd rather wait than risk ruining it for myself. :o
    Phry said:
    I wouldn't buy into Early Access now for anything, particularly for games i really want to play, that may sound odd, but i'd rather not have the experience of playing the game reduced because its feature incomplete, i am patient enough that i can wait these days, as there is always the risk that if you play a game during early access that you will lose interest in the game and it will end up on the discard pile before its even completed, when waiting you could maybe have enjoyed the game more, and for much longer, so for games i really like the look of, i'd rather wait than risk ruining it for myself. :o
    I feel that is 'playing the margins' meaning missing the meat of the game for outlier experiences.

for example (subnatutica)
    'No I dont want to build anything in a game, explore the depths, have a sense of adventure or danger in an open world ocean..because I dont want the story ending to be spoiled. so instead I will just play COD until its out'

that is missing the forest for the trees in my view anyway

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I bought Grim Dawn in early access in 2014 and it released to stellar reviews this year. If a company wants to know how to do it right I would look at the way Crate Entertainment has developed Grim Dawn.
    That game is early access done right.
    How is Grim Dawn, and what kind of game is it?  I keep on seeing on Steam that one of my oldest gaming bros from Tribes is playing that.  It would be a good lame excuse to catch up with him!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

GladDog said:
    I bought Grim Dawn in early access in 2014 and it released to stellar reviews this year. If a company wants to know how to do it right I would look at the way Crate Entertainment has developed Grim Dawn.
    That game is early access done right.
    How is Grim Dawn, and what kind of game is it?  I keep on seeing on Steam that one of my oldest gaming bros from Tribes is playing that.  It would be a good lame excuse to catch up with him!

It's pretty good. I just finished it. I only did the campaign, though, and none of the endgame stuff. Probably a solid 20 hours of campaign to do. I don't know if there is anything beyond the campaign (on different difficulties), but I just did a Normal playthrough, so I'm assuming that Ultimate would be more difficult. I'd definitely recommend it if you're a fan of ARPGs. Wait for Steam sale, it will definitely be on sale. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------