Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO moves to an indie-studio, Daybreak publishes

2»

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Po_gg said:
    AC is never mentioned, some speculates it will stay with Turbine... which means no AC3.
    Did they forget about them? 

Someone needs to poke their head in the AC forums and tell them "We still care about you!"
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Change is never ok for some of you...Always this negative approch. Sad to see.

As an old time lotro player (since rift time) Im happy to see this. 
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    flizzer said:
    Po_gg said:
    AC is never mentioned, some speculates it will stay with Turbine... which means no AC3.
    Did they forget about them?
    Possible (we all know the awesome capabilities of their marketing dept. :lol: ) but I'd say highly unlikely. They're speaking of separating the MMO part from the rest (which will stay with Turbine). And their MMO portfolio is not just DDO and LotRO... still, not a word about AC.
    I'm not up-to-date with their private servers move / developement, maybe that's where AC is heading?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Sovrath said:
    Will this "newly formed indie studio" have the financial muscle to renew the LOTRO license when it comes up for renewal next year ? It can't be more than a few months away...

Or is this divorce a calculated move to shield the Turbine brand from any negative fallout if LOTRO closes down in 6 months ?

I guess they can always launch a "Save LOTRO" Kickstarter campaign.
    Well, they said they renewed the licenses.

What does this mean for licensing of the Dungeons & Dragons and Lord of the Rings IPs?

We’ve updated our licensing agreements without issue and will continue that relationship.

I'm really surprised.

They quietly renew the licenses and then immediately spin-off the games to an independent company ?

Something fishy going on here...
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:
    That's crazy! So DBG is maybe going to take a shot at being a game company? Not just a game liquidator? 
    No, DBG are MMO janitors.

They make sure the lights stay on in all the old MMO's...

They must own a company that specializes in server tech or something like that, lol. I know they have a metric ton of tech companies. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Will this "newly formed indie studio" have the financial muscle to renew the LOTRO license when it comes up for renewal next year ? It can't be more than a few months away...

Or is this divorce a calculated move to shield the Turbine brand from any negative fallout if LOTRO closes down in 6 months ?

No matter what happens, people will keep harping on about the license :surprised:
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Sovrath said:

What does this mean for licensing of the Dungeons & Dragons and Lord of the Rings IPs?

We’ve updated our licensing agreements without issue and will continue that relationship.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this.  My guess is that the IP license renewal is with MEE.  I can see that being a smooth transition.  I do not interpret this to mean that any issues between Saul Zaentz Company (owners of Middle Earth Enterprises) and the Tolkien Estate have been resolved.  But I do think that this may be an indication that the Zaentz Company and MEE don't see any potential trouble with renewing their IP license next September.  As I've said before, if any action is taken, it will come from the Tolkien Estate.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Sovrath said:

The license agreement will have been owned by "Turbine" - or some arm of WB.

What I believe this means is that this agreement has been vested in the new company. Same deal with the computer terminals, the building (maybe they now rent it) and even the staff contracts. Stuff has been passed over.

So does it mean the agreement has been "renewed"? Not sure it does.

Yuletide festival is fun as well. Maybe I should get the Hobbyhorse out. (Yes I got a hobbyhorse in a pressie box last Christmas :)
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2016
    AC is "dead" as far as development goes; people still waiting for player run servers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    gervaise1 said:
    Sovrath said:updating

The license agreement will have been owned by "Turbine" - or some arm of WB.

What I believe this means is that this agreement has been vested in the new company. Same deal with the computer terminals, the building (maybe they now rent it) and even the staff contracts. Stuff has been passed over.

So does it mean the agreement has been "renewed"? Not sure it does.

Yuletide festival is fun as well. Maybe I should get the Hobbyhorse out. (Yes I got a hobbyhorse in a pressie box last Christmas :)
    Updating the licensing agreements likely means transferring the current agreements to the new legal entity.

If they had renewed them I would expect to see specific verbiage stating so along with the length of the renewal.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Honoring the Lifetime subs so I am happy 
  • IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    This is what they said on a Facebook reply today about the license to LotRO and DDO, "We have new license agreements with the IP license holders (Saul Zaentz, Wizards of the Coast)."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    DBG are an MMO abomination.

I wish the company would just go away, so games like DCUO will be in better hands.

They have the worst batch of MMO's ever.

I take this as those games are on its' dying legs, because they will be soon enough.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

LOTRO players: Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I mainly played to sit in populated areas and force people to listen to Metallica midi files on my various old-timey instruments. If this means the game might go somewhere, I might try it again =)

Enter Sandman did sound darn good on the Lute and Lyre
  • Zer0KZer0K Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Volgore said:
    From the official forums:

"The game teams responsible for The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) and Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) are now moving from Turbine to Standing Stone Games, a newly formed indie game studio. In addition, we’ve partnered with Daybreak Games to provide global publishing services."

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649784-Standing-Stone-Games-A-message-from-Rob-Ciccolini&p=7676699#post7676699

OOOHH!!!  Thanks for letting me know.   Daybreak Games.  Now that I know about this I'll never touch LOTRO.  Anything that touches Daybreak Games I refuse to touch.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Zer0K said:
    Volgore said:

"The game teams responsible for The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) and Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) are now moving from Turbine to Standing Stone Games, a newly formed indie game studio. In addition, we’ve partnered with Daybreak Games to provide global publishing services."

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649784-Standing-Stone-Games-A-message-from-Rob-Ciccolini&p=7676699#post7676699

OOOHH!!!  Thanks for letting me know.   Daybreak Games.  Now that I know about this I'll never touch LOTRO.  Anything that touches Daybreak Games I refuse to touch.
    They are just the publisher, they have no control over the game.  
  • Zer0KZer0K Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Ozmodan said:
    Zer0K said:
    Volgore said:

They are just the publisher, they have no control over the game.  
    Doesn't matter.  Anything that helps make Daybreak Games money, I will not support.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Sovrath said:

I mainly played to sit in populated areas and force people to listen to Metallica midi files on my various old-timey instruments. If this means the game might go somewhere, I might try it again =)

Honestly? As a long time Lord of the Rings player I think it could be good. A fresh start without the Turbine upper management perhaps?
    Bad thing: SOE/Daybreak. The graveyard of MMO's.

The only good thing in this story? John Smedley is no longer in charge of SOE-Daybreak.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Muke said:
    Sovrath said:

Honestly? As a long time Lord of the Rings player I think it could be good. A fresh start without the Turbine upper management perhaps?

The only good thing in this story? John Smedley is no longer in charge of SOE-Daybreak.

I Never understood why people gave Smeds so much credit and respect.  He has never earned it. 
    Muke said:
    Sovrath said:

I Never understood why people gave Smeds so much credit and respect.  He has never earned it. 
    Out of the millions of players he P-ed off and made them quit their games, there are always some that worship him.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Can't see why you cannot support a game you like and just cut your nose off to spite your face. Not supporting a game will mean its death eventually.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Can't see why you cannot support a game you like and just cut your nose off to spite your face. Not supporting a game will mean its death eventually.
    wrong thread?