Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Likely To Flop In 2017 (Or Beyond)

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    CrazKanuk said:
    Ahhhhhh, so their solution to this problem of a land rush was to offer more servers where people could be "first"? Cool! This is definitely how I handle entitlement in my house. 
    It's messy, they would really have to re-think the way they are doing this, because the problems will return. Though is Trion we're talking about so wouldn't expect much, that's why I'm at BDO; after all the drama I hear on it I tried myself, took my conclusions and that's about it. Only if BDO had Archeage's PvE....
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150

Thank you. Much better.

There are some TERRIBLE games on that list, but MOST of them are either not-yet-released or I've never heard of (looking at YOU, "One of the Darkfalls").

Shaking my MF Head.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    For the sake of eyesight test:

On a sidenote:
    How comes that this borderline trollbait topic gets around 1100 votes on massively, while mmorpg.com's rather serious poll about adding a monthly subscription to the site has a meager 146 votes?

I guess massively is doing something right there to involve their users...

MaxBacon said:
    Koolthulu founder

"I guess if we are defining flop as not living up to hype (not something I would agree with) then it can only be Star Citizen. No matter how good it actually turns out to be, it will never be as good as people are hyping it up to be."

Oh so this is about the hype trains?  Then of course.

Gaming players never learn do they? We never expect the cookies inside the box to be as good as they are on the cover of the box, yet we always expect the game to be as good as its cover, then we rage because it's not.

And the circle goes on; because on games, people can't apply the same reality they are played as when on a supermarket. :3

I dunno, I used to get hyped and was pleased and satisfied with the resulting products. That was a long time ago, as in the first 10 years of the MMO market, starting 19 years ago. I mean the Real MMO market, starting with 1997 UO through the first couple years of WoW.

Game announced, WTF OMG WTF OMG reaction from teenage/young-mid20's me. Game released, WTF OMG WTF OMG reaction from teenage/young-mid20's me. Play play play play play, new game announced, WTF OMG WTF OMG reaction. You get the idea.

Nowadays... I'd be lucky to be surprised by anything in games. I get a little hyped by Fallout announcements, less and less by Elder Scrolls announcements. I get hyped a little when my kid is super hyped about new games, I quietly enjoy his enjoyment as it reminds me of being young in the emerging video game world. It was fun to see him go bonkers reading my Game Informer when it had a big article about the new linear sandbox Dragon Quest. Must be nice... ;)

We can't give up hope, but we can trash feeble attempts. Anyone scandalously going for my wallet is gonna realize quick I don't have one and that's not a bulging cash-filled wallet they're grabbing. My wife is gonna be mad too. It would be better received if they offered a quality product on a platter (I'd take a dirty bazaar table at this point) with a price tag attached and allow me to evaluate said product in it's finished entirety.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Volgore said:

On a sidenote:
    How comes that this borderline trollbait topic gets around 1100 votes on massively, while mmorpg.com's rather serious poll about adding a monthly subscription to the site has a meager 146 votes?

Or perhaps clickbait polls do better than serious ones?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Volgore said:

On a sidenote:

Yes.

Also, MMORPG polls don't show somewhere uniquely, and nowhere near easily accessible, which results in them needing a comment to show up in the very short list of 'recent activity' forum posts. It makes polls drop off quickly, where in reality they should be resting in a permanent position above forum posts.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

edited December 2016

I dunno, I used to get hyped and was pleased and satisfied with the resulting products. That was a long time ago, as in the first 10 years of the MMO market, starting 19 years ago. I mean the Real MMO market, starting with 1997 UO through the first couple years of WoW.

Nowadays... I'd be lucky to be surprised by anything in games. I

I feel the same way, it's a growing trend and frustration at the status of gaming. But overall there has been so much and SO much of the same thing that whole genres are just without ideas, without leaving the formulas that worked before and/or still work.

The MMO market is just on that, what worked before won't work now, times have changed; expectations and entitlement are higher and overall mostly publishers locked to the money-making formulas... The SC PU that is pretty much what's to fall on the so-called MMO is something that if they pull off most of the design they will be able to offer something unique on the genre, especially on the RP front.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Kyleran said:

Yes.

Also, MMORPG polls don't show somewhere uniquely, and nowhere near easily accessible, which results in them needing a comment to show up in the very short list of 'recent activity' forum posts. It makes polls drop off quickly, where in reality they should be resting in a permanent position above forum posts.

Like i said: They seem to be doing something right over there to involve their readers ;)

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Kyleran said:
    Volgore said:

On a sidenote:

Yes.

Dunno why, but mmorpg.com looks more archaic than MOP. Maybe that's one of the reasons why MOP seems more populated than here..

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Volgore said:

<snip>

On a sidenote:

Not really, it's just, basically, trolling. Worst Business Model of 2016 got nearly 3000 votes and SWTOR got like 66% of the vote. Meanwhile WoW got 2% of the vote. Keep in mind that there is almost literally no difference in these two, apart from the fact that I could play SWTOR with my kids without spending a dime for them. All you have to do is subscribe, lol. 

In case you were wondering, GW2 got BEST model which I found interesting since I thought you could convert real world cash into gold via gems. Maybe this has changed though. 

However, it definitely does seem like a herd mentality. Just go with what everyone tells you should be doing, I guess. Also, keep rolling out those clickbait awards!!! Gotta pay those bills! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Volgore said:

<snip>

On a sidenote:

Not really, it's just, basically, trolling. Worst Business Model of 2016 got nearly 3000 votes and SWTOR got like 66% of the vote. Meanwhile WoW got 2% of the vote. Keep in mind that there is almost literally no difference in these two, apart from the fact that I could play SWTOR with my kids without spending a dime for them. All you have to do is subscribe, lol. 

In case you were wondering, GW2 got BEST model which I found interesting since I thought you could convert real world cash into gold via gems. Maybe this has changed though. 

However, it definitely does seem like a herd mentality. Just go with what everyone tells you should be doing, I guess. Also, keep rolling out those clickbait awards!!! Gotta pay those bills! 

It's almost as frustrating as sponsored content...

In my opinion, converting in-game anything into cash or vice versa, is both a sign of a game's cemented success with players buying in and the inevitable future of a game seeing that cash which results in turning their direction to line their own pockets.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

• beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    CrazKanuk said:
    Volgore said:

<snip>

On a sidenote:

Herd mentality is basically all you see now, regardless of which gaming genre you're discussing. Of course, when most of your populace doesn't read and refuse to self-educate themselves, these "polls" and the mindset you referenced are all too common.

Keep in mind that the "other" website we are discussing was most likely being paid to promote GW 2, although they denied it, yet their constant hype and repeated "MMO of the Year" awards being given by them to GW 2 suggests otherwise.  So of course, they voted it as the "best" model because they always do; their comments sections are generally ruled by GW 2 fanbois who are not moderated and seemingly allowed to attack anyone who even suggests the game needs improvement.

They also repeatedly vote ANY subscription as being the "worst" model, then turn right around and report on the impressive health of WoW and FF XIV:ARR, both of which are subs.  So I wouldn't expect much in the way of journalism over there; most of what they push is pro-GW 2, anti-sub, "herd" type thinking as you mentioned.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited December 2016
    beebop500 said:
    Herd mentality is basically all you see now, regardless of which gaming genre you're discussing. Of course, when most of your populace doesn't read and refuse to self-educate themselves, these "polls" and the mindset you referenced are all too common.

Keep in mind that the "other" website we are discussing was most likely being paid to promote GW 2, although they denied it, yet their constant hype and repeated "MMO of the Year" awards being given by them to GW 2 suggests otherwise.  So of course, they voted it as the "best" model because they always do; their comments sections are generally ruled by GW 2 fanbois who are not moderated and seemingly allowed to attack anyone who even suggests the game needs improvement.

They also repeatedly vote ANY subscription as being the "worst" model, then turn right around and report on the impressive health of WoW and FF XIV:ARR, both of which are subs.  So I wouldn't expect much in the way of journalism over there; most of what they push is pro-GW 2, anti-sub, "herd" type thinking as you mentioned.

I don't know. You claim they were being paid to promote GW2 but they have been doing the same thing with Star Citizen. Until about a month ago they would do articles on every little thing that came out about the game, every ATV, every 10ftC, every RTV, every free-flight week etc, they would never print anything negative (I tried submitting things like the art copying etc and they were all ignored). They would never question what they were being shown at Gamescom, Citizencon etc etc. It got to the point where people were calling the staff out in the comments section for what felt like bias towards the game.

As a slight aside, last year CIG won the reader's award for Best Studio Of The Year at massively because there was a load of vote soliciting from Disco Lando on twitter, from the subreddit, from CIG's forums etc. And this was for a shitty studio that missed loads of targets and barely delivered anything through the year.
    If people want to talk about lack of objectivity and herd mentality that's all the examples one needs...

edited December 2016
    rpmcmurphy said:
    Until about a month ago they would do articles on every little thing that came out about the game, every ATV, every 10ftC, every RTV, every free-flight week etc, they would never print anything negative 
    (I tried submitting things like the art copying etc and they were all ignored).
    Maybe they got a smarter sponsorship, who knows!  =)

Also, who cares about concept art taken from other art? News would be stuff that actually is added to the game not art direction concepts. lol Like Naughty Dog with a plain copy of an art from Assassin's Creed that indeed made it to one their trailers.
    edited December 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    Until about a month ago they would do articles on every little thing that came out about the game, every ATV, every 10ftC, every RTV, every free-flight week etc, they would never print anything negative 
    (I tried submitting things like the art copying etc and they were all ignored).
    Maybe they got a smarter sponsorship, who knows!  =)

Also, who cares about concept art taken from other art? News would be stuff that actually is added to the game not art direction concepts. lol Like Naughty Dog with a plain copy of an art from Assassin's Creed that indeed made it to one their trailer.

I believe he got banned, or at least got into a spat with the chief editor of the site, so I doubt they would be accepting his money :)

No one cares if it's used internally but when it's used to sell products of the same genre etc it gets classed as IP theft.
    beebop500 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Volgore said:

<snip>

On a sidenote:

I don't know. You claim they were being paid to promote GW2 but they have been doing the same thing with Star Citizen. Until about a month ago they would do articles on every little thing that came out about the game, every ATV, every 10ftC, every RTV, every free-flight week etc, they would never print anything negative (I tried submitting things like the art copying etc and they were all ignored). They would never question what they were being shown at Gamescom, Citizencon etc etc.

Maybe they are just trying not to ruffle feathers. Maybe it's a product of not wanting to seem biased. I mean the expectation of media is that they remain neutral (like somehow they have no opinion). So maybe their attempts to pull themselves more towards a neutral perspective has resulted in over compensation? 

HOWEVER! That being said, I do find it interesting that the first option in each of their polls happens to be the top vote getter! I'm not suggesting it's rigged, but it's certainly a persuasion technique as old as time. It's the same reason that companies like "Quadruple A Towing" exists. Sorry, I meant AAAA Towing. To that end, it's the same reason that AAAAAA Towing exists, lol. 

Honestly, though, I think that the reason we haven't heard squat about SC recently is more likely because they're making more significant progress between PG and the release of SM. Granted, it's still not "there", but it's getting to the point where I might start having to consider buying my new computer. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited December 2016
    I believe he got banned, or at least got into a spat with the chief editor of the site, so I doubt they would be accepting his money :)

No one cares if it's used internally but when it's used to sell products of the same genre etc it gets classed as IP theft.
    Oh yeah I think he did, I recall some articles I read exploding comments sections; It was a run to the nuclear shelters kind of thing.

And yes that's what I meant, the moment it reaches a trailer, the actual in-game stuff (the product they sell) includes that content, then there might be problems. Art needs to be always vetted, and even with such (as the case of Uncharted 4) some still reached one official trailer. I think CIG has one artist for Jumppoint that just goes borderline, as that's a product subs pay for.
    CrazKanuk said:
    beebop500 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Volgore said:

<snip>

On a sidenote:

I don't know. You claim they were being paid to promote GW2 but they have been doing the same thing with Star Citizen. Until about a month ago they would do articles on every little thing that came out about the game, every ATV, every 10ftC, every RTV, every free-flight week etc, they would never print anything negative (I tried submitting things like the art copying etc and they were all ignored). They would never question what they were being shown at Gamescom, Citizencon etc etc.

Maybe they are just trying not to ruffle feathers. Maybe it's a product of not wanting to seem biased. I mean the expectation of media is that they remain neutral (like somehow they have no opinion). So maybe their attempts to pull themselves more towards a neutral perspective has resulted in over compensation? 

HOWEVER! That being said, I do find it interesting that the first option in each of their polls happens to be the top vote getter! I'm not suggesting it's rigged, but it's certainly a persuasion technique as old as time. It's the same reason that companies like "Quadruple A Towing" exists. Sorry, I meant AAAA Towing. To that end, it's the same reason that AAAAAA Towing exists, lol. 

Honestly, though, I think that the reason we haven't heard squat about SC recently is more likely because they're making more significant progress between PG and the release of SM. Granted, it's still not "there", but it's getting to the point where I might start having to consider buying my new computer. 

That's certainly quite a possibility, I've noticed a distinct lack of SC content this last month or so but the absence of it might be more noticeable due to the deluge of it beforehand.

Widstar is the first option, Star Citizen is the second but I get what you're aiming at.

Personally I just wish they had completed the Sq42 demo that they were apparently so close to finishing, to dump it feels like a right waste of the time and I dare say, (despite being against vertical slices) a completed demo would have increased backer count and goodwill towards the company quite significantly.

CrazKanuk said:
    beebop500 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Volgore said:

<snip>

On a sidenote:

That's certainly quite a possibility, I've noticed a distinct lack of SC content this last month or so but the absence of it might be more noticeable due to the deluge of it beforehand.

Widstar is the first option, Star Citizen is the second but I get what you're aiming at.

Personally I just wish they had completed the Sq42 demo that they were apparently so close to finishing, to dump it feels like a right waste of the time and I dare say, (despite being against vertical slices) a completed demo would have increased backer count and goodwill towards the company quite significantly.

Lol, yeah, I'm waiting mostly on SQ42 anyway, so everything else is sort of "cool" but very white noisy to me. 

Shoot! Yes, you're right! I actually just looked at the rest of the polls they did there and completely forgot about the one that spawned this thread, lol. Yeah, it's somewhat the same idea, though. Either way, it's not really the first time I've been unimpressed with the crew over at massivelyop in the short time they've been going. Just very *sigh*-worthy stuff. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Nominated by the staff of another MMO site as most likely to flop and it seems the readers largely agree.

I was surprised because they had been churning out article after arcticle and appeared quite taken with the game in general. Oh well..

Source: http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/18/massively-ops-best-of-2016-awards-most-likely-to-flop

So what?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Xodic said:
    People in their infinite wisdom voted for a game that is slated to make it's most influential progress in 2017 to flop? I see that they added the (beyond) portion at the end, which makes the poll so far out of scope that you can't even make sense of it.
    The only thing expected in 2017 is 3.0 update.  S42 says 2017 but it also said 2015, then 2016, so I wouldn't count on 2017, especially after they said they needed 3.0 for S42.  Hard to flop in 2017 when still in alpha.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    I'm in no way a religeous person, but this quote from Ecclesiates 1:9 applies so much these days:

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

No game excites me to much these days, and more and more it seems that people want to just hype a game so when it fails to live up to expectations they can whine like bitches all the time.

Star Citizen has it's issues, hopefully they can sort it out and just keep moving forward, more hopefully at a faster pace.

But for me the SC journey is over, I was hugely dissatisfied with the last CitizenCon, and I just couldn't shake it, so I opted for a refund, and now I'll wait till release then buy it.

I won't be funding anymore crowdfunded products period.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Nyctelios said:
    vorpal28 said:
    I'm in no way a religeous person, but this quote from Ecclesiates 1:9 applies so much these days:

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

No game excites me to much these days, and more and more it seems that people want to just hype a game so when it fails to live up to expectations they can whine like bitches all the time.

Star Citizen has it's issues, hopefully they can sort it out and just keep moving forward, more hopefully at a faster pace.

But for me the SC journey is over, I was hugely dissatisfied with the last CitizenCon, and I just couldn't shake it, so I opted for a refund, and now I'll wait till release then buy it.

I won't be funding anymore crowdfunded products period.
    Yeah because games like Crypt of Necrodancer, Super Time Force Ultra, Slime Rancher, Darkest Dungeon, Undertale, Super Hot, Pony Island, Bewitch, Serial Cleaner, Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor, This War of Mine, Party Hard, Oxenfree, Inside, Icey, (I can keep going for like a day or so, but I think you got the point) are not unique and innovative at all.

Please... Enough with this "sitting on the pouch complaining about how things are not innovative while ignoring all innovating games".
    Most of them are just old games reimagined  with a twist
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    waynejr2 said:
    Nominated by the staff of another MMO site as most likely to flop and it seems the readers largely agree.

I was surprised because they had been churning out article after arcticle and appeared quite taken with the game in general. Oh well..

Source: http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/18/massively-ops-best-of-2016-awards-most-likely-to-flop

So what?

Because some people enjoy seeing how a wider population of gamers view their project and we can have a discussion about why people might be thinking like that, what might be the cause of it, what can be done about it and so on.
    If that's not something that interests you then you're more than free to just walk on by.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I don't even know why Star Citizen is mentioned in this poll, it is obvious that with all the delays it won't release before 2020, 2017? Pfffff hahaha, you people  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer