Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Likely To Flop In 2017 (Or Beyond)

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
edited December 2016 in Star Citizen
Nominated by the staff of another MMO site as most likely to flop and it seems the readers largely agree.

I was surprised because they had been churning out article after arcticle and appeared quite taken with the game in general. Oh well..

Source: http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/18/massively-ops-best-of-2016-awards-most-likely-to-flop

Post edited by rpmcmurphy on

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The term "flop" is usually applied to something that completely failed to meet expectations. WS did that very convincingly years ago.

I think the term you're looking for here in regards to Wildstar is "shutdown"...
  • EothasEothas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Wildstar already flopped... Devs were listening the forums too much. "We want hardcore content!1!1" *95% of the player base proceeds to wipe indefinitely on the first veteran dungeon* better blame all the bugs.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    Mhhhh? Why Wildstar is there?
    It flopped back in 2014, the day it was released, how did it manage to get into a 2017 poll?

By the way I predicted Wildstar would be the biggest flop in history back when it was in Beta, the design was so poor I didn't have any doubts.
    Star Citizen though still have a chance if (big if) they pull their shit together.
    Post edited by ste2000 on

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    How can a game that has no expectations "flop"?
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    edited December 2016
    By the time this is done, this will be the most expensive game in video game history. How much actually gets spent on the game and how much get siphoned off into Chris Robert's retirement fund is another issue all together.

I really can't see the game meeting expectations. I expect Duke Nukem 2.0
    Post edited by Atlan99 on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    How can a game that has no expectations "flop"?
    Unless gamer's are really dumb,i would say 100+ million says there are VERY high expectations.
    As to WS,it didn't flop because too hard or too easy,30 years of gaming all i see is gamer's play to get the BEST end game loot and for no other reason.

A game however does need to have some gimmick,be it "esport" with rankings or housing or good graphics,or sometimes just plain popular which is usually how Blizzard gets it;s player base.As well if highly marketed goes a long way to the point the FTC has sued some for paying people to give fake positive views.Way too many reasons why some games do well and and some fail,you just have to notice similarities in games then try and figure why two identical games have different ratings.

SC will not fail,it has already succeeded,Robert's had made a ton of money already,however imo the game will not be nearly as good as the budget,like maybe 20% as good as it should be.However i said that and still say that about Eve and Wow and look how much money and how popular those games are and BOTH are lacking content ideas that they should have.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Man don't be hating.  You can fly around in a spaceship and shoot at stuff.  You can get out of the spaceship and shoot stuff.  You can land on a platform at a space station.   This game is so full of content and fun that you will never want to play another game again.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Nominated by the staff of another MMO site as most likely to flop and it seems the readers largely agree.

I was surprised because they had been churning out article after arcticle and appeared quite taken with the game in general. Oh well..

Link please.

Have fun
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2016
    Haters gonna hate.

Let's go back to the end of 2015 when we were assured by the peoples of the Internets that this game wouldn't survive 2016?

It's fun how the drama makes random people have those expectations, once the game delivers something they go "WTF WASN'T THIS A SCAM?!" 
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    filmoret said:
    Man don't be hating.  You can fly around in a spaceship and shoot at stuff.  You can get out of the spaceship and shoot stuff.  You can land on a platform at a space station.   This game is so full of content and fun that you will never want to play another game again.
    Nevermind Star Citizen.
    You must have missed the real topic of this thread which is, WTF Wildstar is mentioned in that poll?

By the way OP, what is the site that gave us this amazing poll?

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:

Link please.

Have fun

http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/18/massively-ops-best-of-2016-awards-most-likely-to-flop

You're welcome

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    edited December 2016

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited December 2016
    Probably one of the most random polls I've seen this year.

That Wildstar is even second makes me think people have lost their minds on that site 

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited December 2016
    It's pretty obvious. Star Citizen Sea Org ( SCORG ) are voting Wildstar so Star Citizen doesn't "win".
    edited December 2016
    I think end of the day things like this are the biggest promotion SC could ask for, constantly painting "worse-case-scenario-imminent-apocalypse" only increases the gap between reality and drama for the people who like to eventually make their own conclusions by trying to game.

The more I see it the stronger the vibe I get this is going to play out in an interesting way for SC. The moment I knew people who backed SC and heard of it on DS blogs... 
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    As one of the Massively "Founders" said it best in the comments section:

Koolthulu founder

"I guess if we are defining flop as not living up to hype (not something I would agree with) then it can only be Star Citizen. No matter how good it actually turns out to be, it will never be as good as people are hyping it up to be."

Have fun

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    edited December 2016
    mmmm.  I don't think I can buy into this poll result.  It's politically correct to bash, malign, and otherwise down Star Citizen.  I think it would have to be given a trial in another county to get a fair trial.
    Post edited by mgilbrtsn on

I self identify as a monkey.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    This brings what we call perspective.  Get some.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited December 2016
    Koolthulu founder

"I guess if we are defining flop as not living up to hype (not something I would agree with) then it can only be Star Citizen. No matter how good it actually turns out to be, it will never be as good as people are hyping it up to be."

Oh so this is about the hype trains?  Then of course.

Gaming players never learn do they? We never expect the cookies inside the box to be as good as they are on the cover of the box, yet we always expect the game to be as good as its cover, then we rage because it's not.

And the circle goes on; because on games, people can't apply the same reality they are played as when on a supermarket. :3
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Erillion said:
     No matter how good it actually turns out to be, it will never be as good as people are hyping it up to be."

Including all the company promotion.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SC is the western game where most players already have invested money so if it flops it will do it in a spectacular way so I geuss it makes sense.

But likely isn't the same as certain, England was likely to stay in the EU and Hillary was likely to be president.
    edited December 2016
    Loke666 said:
    But likely isn't the same as certain, England was likely to stay in the EU and Hillary was likely to be president.
    Does that mean a Donald Smart will step up and make Star Citizen great "again"?
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    edited December 2016
    Based purely on 1k votes.. Woot what a sample pool going on there.. lol.

As far as Star Citizen being the biggest flop of 2017..  Well that would mean the game would have to launch in 2017..  And so far there is little showing that, that will happen.  Looks more like a 2018 launch of anything. And going by time tables of past large budget projects that would fall within the 4-6 year timeline of such projects.

My prediction of biggest flop for 2017 is CoE.  And thats purely based upon the team size and who they have working on the project and its lack of MMO experience within said team. But as they say opinions are like *** h*** and just about everyone has one.

Also not sure how Wildstar could flop in 2017 since that has already happened for that poor little game. What could have been a interesting scifi ish game was destroyed by its lack of leadship experience / direction.
    edited December 2016
    Xodic said:
    People in their infinite wisdom voted for a game that is slated to make it's most influential progress in 2017 to flop? I see that they added the (beyond) portion at the end, which makes the poll so far out of scope that you can't even make sense of it.
    Agreed here.

If they pull off SQ42 as a released game alone on 2017, I don't think anyone can deny that's already more delivery than any year before that. Then there's 3.0 that alone from what they described of what's set for that release, seems bigger in scope than 2.0>2.5 during the past year.

I can't see even if they just manage 1 or 2 of those milestones means any flop, when comparing to the past years that'd be the biggest amount of delivery we ever had.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited December 2016
    I find it interesting that many of the games with the most votes are made by industry "vets". Although SC is WAY ahead and skews the other votes at least visually, if you look at the others you'll see a few in the 2%-3% range, which is the next tier down in the ranges. 

Star Citizen - Roberts
    Shroud of the Avatar - Garriott
    Hero's Song - Smed
    Crowfall - Coleman
    Camelot Unchained - Jacobs

Hmmm...