Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen – Shattered Dreams

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    frostymug said:
    Anyways, I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I have more or less given up on it at this point. 

I think DS is a douchenozzle, but I think CR is a BSer and a dreamer who really doesn't need an excuse brigade reasoning away every screw up, of which there appear to be many. It's mostly counterproductive and the only times any major progress has been shown was after they've started to feel the heat when the insulation wears thin.
    You obviously haven't given up on it yet :)

In any case, why don't you just kick back and see if it ever gets released?
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    edited December 2016
    DKLond said:

[...] What other game has all these things working? [...]
    None. Can you name a single game where all this is working?

separate physics layers - If you mean that you can travel with your spaceship - That's how every Elevator is working in many games - if you mean that sometimes Gravity is triggering ... this is well .. a Trigger onEnter

completely unified FP/3P animations and player camera - other games do that

procedural damage technology - not implemented in Star Citizen except if you mean Vertx Color Masks I have a Shader for you that I wrote once that looks like:

Can be painted in Runtime (like paint it ColX if raycast hits at XYZ ... Vertex color stuff ...
    The underlying LAyer can be CutOut, Tesselation, Opacity or another PBR layer (this shader has 5 full PBR layer)

zero-G and EVA FPS gameplay - that's unique and nice shame that it takes so long for this game ... now COD has it too

64-bit precision for coordinates - has every Game since 64Bit Engines > SC is NOT full 64 Bit - if it would be > noone with an Nvidia GPU would be able to play it.
    The Question is now how to implement it in the Game KSP is using a matrix for it to avoid FloatingPointErrors and SC is ... well I don't know maybe someone who followed the open development can answer me this.

and on and on - CIG is great at selling stuff that has been in other games as their new innovation.
    like Blendshapes - this is what makes your character smile - literally and they can be blended to almost unlimited expressions. 2 Years ago I wrote a little client to have my slaves toy around and find interesting Blendshape combinations to implement new emotes.

Something is implemented when it's in the PU and you can test it - all this innovative stuff (not only the ones on our list) can be done in every Engine with a few days work - If it plays out in the end when everything should work balanced together is something different.

But I tell you - I will be impressed if they have a complete planet in the PU with 1000s of Physics bodies, with rotation (+orbiting would be nice but not necessary) where you can land everywhere and paths of NPCs are working dynamically, where day and night cycle will be calculated from a single light + AtmoShatter - IF all this is working and you can do a few missions without a planetwide physic engine FU - then I'll be impressed and I would throw all my money on them on the same day.

But ... you know Physic friction on a moveable asset (planet) is hard to compute imagine if it fails in a spaceship it would catapult you out - now with hundreds more objects to calculate on a round surface (you know this pi number thats never correct) and having dynamic Waypoints to calculate where the planet is still turning around and your height on the planet is a variable (mountains, lakes ...) ...

Is it possible? Yes indeed if you have years to figure it out and more important never build on other bugs, which is what they are doing - systems are working on other bugged system in SC. Why do they even bother to talk about planets while their physic engine is doing nasty stuff on not rotating spheres. (ships slide away, ships are rotating wild, ships fall apart, ships are loosing their poor astronauts, players get catapulted away on simple mesh collisions ... the list goes on and on)

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited December 2016
    DKLond said:

[...] What other game has all these things working? [...]
    None. Can you name a single game where all this is working?

separate physics layers - If you mean that you can travel with your spaceship - That's how every Elevator is working in many games - if you mean that sometimes Gravity is triggering ... this is well .. a Trigger onEnter

completely unified FP/3P animations and player camera - other games do that

procedural damage technology - not implemented in Star Citizen except if you mean Vertx Color Masks I have a Shader for you that I wrote once that looks like:

Can be painted in Runtime (like paint it ColX if raycast hits at XYZ ... Vertex color stuff ...
    The underlying LAyer can be CutOut, Tesselation, Opacity or another PBR layer (this shader has 5 full PBR layer)

zero-G and EVA FPS gameplay - that's unique and nice shame that it takes so long for this game ... now COD has it too

64-bit precision for coordinates - has every Game since 64Bit Engines > SC is NOT full 64 Bit - if it would be > noone with an Nvidia GPU would be able to play it.
    The Question is now how to implement it in the Game KSP is using a matrix for it to avoid FloatingPointErrors and SC is ... well I don't know maybe someone who followed the open development can answer me this.

and on and on - CIG is great at selling stuff that has been in other games as their new innovation.
    like Blendshapes - this is what makes your character smile - literally and they can be blended to almost unlimited expressions. 2 Years ago I wrote a little client to have my slaves toy around and find interesting Blendshape combinations to implement new emotes.

Something is implemented when it's in the PU and you can test it - all this innovative stuff (not only the ones on our list) can be done in every Engine with a few days work - If it plays out in the end when everything should work balanced together is something different.

But I tell you - I will be impressed if they have a complete planet in the PU with 1000s of Physics bodies, with rotation (+orbiting would be nice but not necessary) where you can land everywhere and paths of NPCs are working dynamically, where day and night cycle will be calculated from a single light + AtmoShatter - IF all this is working and you can do a few missions without a planetwide physic engine FU - then I'll be impressed and I would throw all my money on them on the same day.

But ... you know Physic friction on a moveable asset (planet) is hard to compute imagine if it fails in a spaceship it would catapult you out - now with hundreds more objects to calculate on a round surface (you know this pi number thats never correct) and having dynamic Waypoints to calculate where the planet is still turning around and your height on the planet is a variable (mountains, lakes ...) ...

Is it possible? Yes indeed if you have years to figure it out and more important never build on other bugs, which is what they are doing - systems are working on other bugged system in SC. Why do they even bother to talk about planets while their physic engine is doing nasty stuff on not rotating spheres. (ships slide away, ships are rotating wild, ships fall apart, ships are loosing their poor astronauts, players get catapulted away on simple mesh collisions ... the list goes on and on)
    Yes, SC 2.6 alpha.

No, separate physics layers mean you switch between different ones when you go from, say, your ship to space. From local gravity to external gravity, if you will. Having these interact correctly with each other is a very complex feature - and that's why it's impressive and innovative. I'm not personally aware of any other game that does this, though I'm sure it's possible.

I don't know what part of procedural damage you don't understand, but I'm talking about it being part of the game and working right now - something very few other games, if any, have. It's way beyond shaders - it's also about disabling ship functionality dynamically. It's not complete yet, but it's functional and it's there.

About 64-bit precision, you don't seem to understand this part at all. I advise that you do some research on this aspect of the game - and CIG has released several statements that go into detail about how this works. Again, very, very few games have 64-bit precision coordinates for an entire universe.

I'm not terribly invested in what impresses you. You don't seem to understand much in terms of the technical implementation - so you being impressed is all but meaningless in this context.

However, what I'm stating are facts and they relate 100% to the question of what innovative technology the game has working RIGHT now.

Again, innovative != completely unique. It just means innovative.

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    edited December 2016
    DKLond said:
    MaxBacon said:
    DKLond said:
    Also, mention a SINGLE other game that has all of these things working at once.
    This is exactly the point!

People who focus themselves into a X or Y feature of SC, to not have to look at it as a whole. What makes one unique and/or revolutionary game it's all of them together. And that indeed what SC has going for it.
    Agreed, and that's RIGHT NOW - with a lot more to come.

Next up is 3.0 with some AMAZING procedural technology - which is pretty evident from recent videos.

I mean, now that Star Marine is on PTU - I'm guessing procedural planet technology will be the next thing that "never will be out" ;)
    Procedural Planet technology  means not to put hand on the planet - they are handcrafting their planets.
    Procedural technology for terrain (doesn't matter which shape it is) is used by Games for over a decade now. As well as creating objects on a procedural terrain.

Sorry but you sound like someone who is going to play his first videogame.
    Hey look Characters can move > great new technology, new Innovation!

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2016
    And with all this, we're doing nothing but free advertising for DS, as promote him and his blog may be of interest to some here; it is not mine so... not doing that.

Or you can always start a tag like #MakeSmartRelevantAgain
    /jumps out

edited December 2016
    DKLond said:
    MaxBacon said:
    DKLond said:
    Also, mention a SINGLE other game that has all of these things working at once.
    This is exactly the point!

People who focus themselves into a X or Y feature of SC, to not have to look at it as a whole. What makes one unique and/or revolutionary game it's all of them together. And that indeed what SC has going for it.
    Agreed, and that's RIGHT NOW - with a lot more to come.

Next up is 3.0 with some AMAZING procedural technology - which is pretty evident from recent videos.

I mean, now that Star Marine is on PTU - I'm guessing procedural planet technology will be the next thing that "never will be out" ;)
    Procedural Planet technology  means not to put hand on the planet - they are handcrafting their planets.
    Procedural technology for terrain (doesn't matter which shape it is) is used by Games for over a decade now.
    No, that's not what it means at all. It doesn't say 100% procedurally generated planets. It says "procedural planet technology" - which means they're using that technology to create the planets and then they go in and adjust everything by hand - and they add handcrafted content on top.

No one is saying that procedurally generated planets don't exist in other games. Heck, I remember that from Frontier back in the early nineties.

What people are saying is that the WAY they're using the technology is innovative.

It's really not that complicated if you just stick to official statements instead of creating your own fantasy version of what has been said.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    DKLond said:

What people are saying is that the WAY they're using the technology is innovative.

But it's not innovative, it's just a lazy way of hand creating planets. Besides from what they've shown so far they look boring as hell.
    What's irritating is that you don't see other studios crowing about their achievements before they have delivered them, unlike CIG.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DKLond said:

But it's not innovative, it's just a lazy way of hand creating planets. Besides from what they've shown so far they look boring as hell.
    What's irritating is that you don't see other studios crowing about their achievements before they have delivered them, unlike CIG.

Actually, in game development the only time you DON'T see a dev team crowing about their "innovations" is if their PR team can't find anything that vaguely resembles an "innovation" ! :D
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Erillion said:
    kitarad said:
    Whenever interest in Star Citizen wanes
    The interest in Star Citizen waned so much that last month they achived a new record in most money earned  per month in the SC crowdfunding campaign with  7,751,061 dollars.

Have fun 
    I find this info fascinating. At a time when every KS struggles to raise a million, this team seems to be able to bring in more money than EVE.

Yet there isn't even a released game nor any real promise of one in the near future.

I would love to see a case study of those who contributed funds in that month to understand the drivers and motivations behind their purchasing decision.

Forget the game, this is a marketing phenomenon that I'm not sure is rivaled anywhere else. (except perhaps for the Tesla electric car preorders?)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2016
    This made me lol so much; this is EXACTLY what pretty much any game developer does, it's the 101 Marketing of a game before it is released, showing it off, teasing and talking about all the shinies they will have once it releases! Man If you don't see other studios doing that you need to sync back to reality... >.>

The new COD, No Man's Sky, all of them brag about the tech behind their games... even the darn FIFA games every year have this new amazing revolutionary piece of technology that totally justifies buying it for 70$ again! :proud:
    edited December 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Erillion said:
    kitarad said:
    Whenever interest in Star Citizen wanes
    The interest in Star Citizen waned so much that last month they achived a new record in most money earned  per month in the SC crowdfunding campaign with  7,751,061 dollars.

Have fun 
    I find this info fascinating. At a time when every KS struggles to raise a million, this team seems to be able to bring in more money than EVE.

Yet there isn't even a released game nor any real promise of one in the near future.

I would love to see a case study of those who contributed funds in that month to understand the drivers and motivations behind their purchasing decision.

Forget the game, this is a marketing phenomenon that I'm not sure is rivaled anywhere else. (except perhaps for the Tesla electric car preorders?)
    It's not really that surprising.

It's the only game I'm aware of that's not only 100% PC-centric - but also goes "all the way" when it comes to genre evolution and boldness of vision. Not only in technical terms, but more impressively in game design terms.

There's nothing else that comes close to this ambition. I'm not saying it will work - I'm saying IF it works - it will be amazing.

If you truly understand what they're trying to do - you'd be a fool not to want to support it.

That said, it's hardly a surprise that the VAST majority are ill informed. You have to really care about this and really sit down and listen to what's being said to appreciate it. Also, you have to start out without a strong predisposition against it.

Personally, I find all this opposition both highly entertaining and simultaneously a bit sad.

Since I fully believe in the project, I could be looking forward to its success - and seeing a lot of people back down.

Unfortunately, the sad truth about human nature is that once you've set yourself against something, it really doesn't matter what happens. You WILL be against it.

So, these passionate naysayers will likely still be in denial long after the game has become a success.

Not unlike what the majority did when WoW conquered the MMO world.
    MaxBacon said:
    This made me lol so much; this is EXACTLY what pretty much any game developer does, it's the 101 Marketing of a game before it is released, showing it off, teasing and talking about all the shinies they will have once it releases! Man If you don't see other studios doing that you need to sync back to reality... >.>

The new COD, No Man's Sky, all of them brag about the tech behind their games... even the darn FIFA games every year have this new amazing revolutionary piece of technology that totally justifies buying it for 70$ again! :proud:
    Major difference is that they're actually doing what they said they'd do - unlike those others who constantly deceive the audience and blow everything out of proportion, and we can ALREADY see much of it in action.

To be frank, I really had my doubts about the complete integration of FP/3P camera and animations - but they did it, and it's much smoother than Arma in this very first iteration.

Obviously, knowing something about what it takes to make it happen helps me be impressed. Most people don't seem to have a clue ;)
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    MaxBacon said:
    And with all this, we're doing nothing but free advertising for DS, as promote him and his blog may be of interest to some here; it is not mine so... not doing that.

Or you can always start a tag like #MakeSmartRelevantAgain
    /jumps out

Criticize SC and you must be a DS follower?

Or are we no longer allowed to say anything dissenting about SC now?

Personally SC has issues, it's clear to see, so much so I've now been refunded and will just wait till the game launches before buying it (after reading reviews and watching videos to see if it's worth buying). 
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    edited December 2016
    Kyleran said:

I get why people invested in Tesla.  No way I could afford one lol.  Star Citizen, their initial pitch sounded good.  The first injection of money was incredible.  Its continued support of money equally incredible.  I think that the continued backing of the game is less about the game and more about the community.  Those that are detractors or skeptical of the game I feel end up helping the game.  Star Citizen has positioned itself as an idea much like a political campaign does.  People stop looking at it as a product and more of a way to identify ones own self worth and beliefs.  Those that attack it are seen as attacking people personally.  Those people that feel attacked 'donate' money to Star Citizen in response.  That Smart guy might be one of the best marketing tools Star Citizen has.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kyleran said:

Tesla have actually delivered some cars already, not of all models they take pre-orders for but still, this likeness does not really work that well.

Besides that, you are right. I never seen the like. Other crowdfunded MMOs cant get sums like SC did last month altogether.

Either the backers know something we don't or SCs salespeople have super powers.
    edited December 2016
    vorpal28 said:

Or are we no longer allowed to say anything dissenting about SC now?. 
    Oi? This thread is about promoting a DS's blog, as it is on the OP's post. You're spinning this as a rather petty attack towards me.

Instead of using logic: if the thread advertises his blog and it keeps being put on this websites frontpage, hear by it is correct to say we are promoting DS here; not about criticism as you put it like it was my intent with the post.
    Kyleran said:

I get why people invested in Tesla.  No way I could afford one lol.  Star Citizen, their initial pitch sounded good.  The first injection of money was incredible.  Its continued support of money equally incredible.  I think that the continued backing of the game is less about the game and more about the community.  Those that are detractors or skeptical of the game I feel end up helping the game.  Star Citizen has positioned itself as an idea much like a political campaign does.  People stop looking at it as a product and more of a way to identify ones own self worth and beliefs.  Those that attack it are seen as attacking people personally.  Those people that feel attacked 'donate' money to Star Citizen in response.  That Smart guy might be one of the best marketing tools Star Citizen has.
    If we look at this thread, it seems the VAST majority are against Star Citizen - and conclusively, we can easily tell that most here take supporting the game personally - and as an attack.

But let's be honest, this isn't unique to Star Citizen.

Just take a look at almost every game forum around here. There's always going to be that loud segment of haters spouting ignorant bullshit. That's always been MMORPG in a nutshell.

Star Citizen is just that much more successful, so it will attract more of these weak ignorants.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    MaxBacon said:
    vorpal28 said:

Oi? This thread is about promoting a DS's blog, as it is on the OP's post. You're spinning this as a rather petty attack towards me. lol
    The thread isn't about promoting DS's blog.  It's pretty common for people to start threads with links to other places asking people for a discussion on said link in a neutral third party forum.
    edited December 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    vorpal28 said:

Oi? This thread is about promoting a DS's blog, as it is on the OP's post. You're spinning this as a rather petty attack towards me.

Instead of use logic, if the thread advertises his blog and it keeps being put on this website frontpage, hear by it is correct to say we are promoting DS here; not about criticism as you put it. Do you understand now what I meant?
    No, it's not about promoting DS's blog. That's just a potential side effect.

We're discussing what's IN his blog - that doesn't mean we automatically support DS by talking about him.

If that's the case, then just talking about Donald Trump means we're supporting him? That makes no sense to me.

If people want to believe DS - that's not really his fault. People are largely ignorant sheep - so they'll flock to whatever seems a safe submissive position.

As Trump so effectively demonstrated recently, you don't have to make sense or say anything of value. You just need to represent a "position" that people can latch on to.

For Trump, it was hatred and ignorance - and coincidentally DS represents the EXACT same thing.

They're not to blame as much as the people who follow them are.
    edited December 2016
    The thread isn't about promoting DS's blog.  It's pretty common for people to start threads with links to other places asking people for a discussion on said link in a neutral third party forum.
    DKLond said:
    If that's the case, then just talking about Donald Trump means we're supporting him? That makes no sense to me.
    No no not Support as YOU PERSONALLY support him. Support as giving the person more attention and highlight (that I'd say most here would agree it's something the person in question looks for), that yes we are clearly doing here, by intention or side-effect.
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    MaxBacon said:
    DKLond said:
    No no not Support as YOU PERSONALLY support him. Support as giving the person more attention and highlight (that I'd say most here would agree it's something the person in question looks for), that yes we are clearly doing here, by intention or side-effect.
    What DKLond said, your the one trying to derail people by trolling them and claiming they are supporting the promotion of DS's blog, rather than a discussion of the points it raises be they true or false.

Effectively your trying to censor people that don't support DS by insinuating they have an agenda to promote DS,
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    edited December 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    DKLond said:
    No no not Support as YOU PERSONALLY support him. Support as giving the person more attention and highlight, that yes we are clearly doing here, by intention or side-effect.
    Giving someone more attention isn't necessary helpful to that person. Like if we were to call attention to a mass murderer - that might actually NOT help him and it might actually get people to side against him.

So, I don't really see the problem here. DS wants attention because he's a narcissist with a power complex- but that doesn't make him valuable and the more people who're exposed to his nonsense, the better.

In HIS head, we're helping him, because he's completely deluded. That doesn't bother me - as I have nothing against him on a personal level. I pity him - and if he gets off on having a few deranged followers - that's cool with me.

The only problem, naturally, is if (most) people truly believe him - in which case the people are the problem. I would actually rather know that - than go around believing people are more reasonable.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Loke666 said:
    Kyleran said:

Tesla have actually delivered some cars already, not of all models they take pre-orders for but still, this likeness does not really work that well.

Besides that, you are right. I never seen the like. Other crowdfunded MMOs cant get sums like SC did last month altogether.

Either the backers know something we don't or SCs salespeople have super powers.
    I can get why people purchase the game after a free trial or that they purchase something better than the starter ship but I will never understand why people end up purchasing jpeg ships. Its the same sort of stupidity that made people invest in tulips 380 years ago so all it shows is that there will always be people with more money than sense.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    edited December 2016
    Shaigh said:
    Loke666 said:
    Kyleran said:

I can get why people purchase the game after a free trial or that they purchase something better than the starter ship but I will never understand why people end up purchasing jpeg ships. Its the same sort of stupidity that made people invest in tulips 380 years ago so all it shows is that there will always be people with more money than sense.
    They're not purchasing ships, they're pledging their support to the game because they have the money to burn.

It's exactly like any other kind of donation to something you believe in and want to support - with the only exception being that you get a token reward in the form of a ship.

Everyone knows all these ships are fully attainable in-game through normal play without further investment.

But a LOT of people can't wrap their heads around donating to worthy causes. It's not really something you can explain to people. Either you're the kind of person who believes in something and wants to support it - or you're not.
    edited December 2016
    vorpal28 said:
    What DKLond said, your the one trying to derail people by trolling them and claiming they are supporting the promotion of DS's blog, rather than a discussion of the points it raises be they true or false.

Effectively your trying to censor people that don't support DS by insinuating they have an agenda to promote DS,
    You're the one quoted me and put ill intention on my post. You're doing nothing but helping to derail as well by not engaging on the discussion of the points instead, you're very much free to do so but you decided to went against my opinion instead.

Or should we forget when we post threads about the game, updates and such... Aren't some around here constantly and I'll quote you "trying to censor people" insinuating we are "paid shills"? hmmm?