I understand that websites such as mmorpg.com take a very meagre living off advertising, and that advertising requires traffic and regular updates attracting regular return visits.
Therefore, I understand why "rewarding" people for regular content through new titles or colours corresponding to "levels" is sensible. Unfortunately it creates an unpleasant environment for discussion, here is why: -
- The ingratiates click "like" (or funny or whatever) on ever high level name they see, because they lack opinion or intellectual foritude.
- It stifles any debate because people are scared of downvotes in the form of LOLs or plain ignores.... in fact it shapes every debate because if you receive 3 "likes" (or whatever) out of the hundreds of people who read a post, it somehow verifies your opinion as correct... when in reality it does no such thing.
- It stifles any controversial opinions because people chase "likes".... yes you do, don't deny it.
- It allows the banal and uninteresting; the people with no real opinion; to rise to the top, because they offend no-one but please someone.
- It is a symptom of this hideous corporate led world we live in where everyone must be measured and assessed as a worthy customer, and discarded or accepted.
Honestly, when I log on here and see the most pointless, banal shit getting "likes" (or equivalent) and all interesting discussion banned... I just wonder what the hell the point is.
Now please feel free to ignore this and like the first banal moron who states that it is good because it excludes antagonist individuals and makes it a friendlier place to be.... that sort of "head in sand" liberal PC excessive behaviour that results in a backlash that leads to President Trump.