Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Learn the difference between fast and clusterfuck...

somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member UncommonPosts: 230
This is ESO orientated, but I stuck it in the pub because I wondered if it related to other games... 

This relates to the dick swinging contest that often happens in games. In ESO I am a good AOE DD, which is 90% of all dungeons. A good tank sees me set up an area of AOE and drags mobs into it; I often help them drag mobs in. 

But a few tanks like to prove that they can take on multiple groups of mobs, so they run through them all, ruin any chance of AOE and leave the squishy healer to die. No one is impressed, it is slower, it is the ultimate arse-hattery, and it pisses everyone off. 

Stop it tanks. 

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    So you turned your post about dick swinging into a dick measuring contest?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited December 2016
    Adapt.  Stop rushing through the dungeon's minor mobs. Get the rest of the group to let the tank die. Wait until the tank stops running around like a headless chicken before laying down an AOE. Focus on the group members who are team members instead of soloists. Talk to the tank.  Leave the group.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Blame the player or the design?

If it is enticing to just run around killing with AOE then imo it is a flaw and TOO EASY.

I witnessed similar in other games,it ruins a games grouping mechanic because what happens is players ignore certain jobs for a tank+multiple AOE's,no need to even have a healer.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Wizardry said:
    Blame the player or the design?

If it is enticing to just run around killing with AOE then imo it is a flaw and TOO EASY.

I witnessed similar in other games,it ruins a games grouping mechanic because what happens is players ignore certain jobs for a tank+multiple AOE's,no need to even have a healer.
    My thoughts exactly. When the difficulty kills you off fast whenever you mess up all players will have to play far better and the tanks will have to be careful about pulling just as the DPS will have to be careful so the AoE don't hit something it isn't intended to hit.

Most MMO dungeons (no, raids are generally harder) are so easy that there is no need for any group dynamics at all, you could just run 5 DPS players and still complete them (yeah, that is of course harder but still feasible). I don't see the point of having them as group content at all, just make them open solo dungeons.

The only way to stop group shenanigans is to raise the difficulty enough to kill all offenders at or before the first boss. Makes more interesting gameplay as well, leave the easy content to the soloplayers and the first noob dungeon.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    This is ESO orientated, but I stuck it in the pub because I wondered if it related to other games... 

This relates to the dick swinging contest that often happens in games. In ESO I am a good AOE DD, which is 90% of all dungeons. A good tank sees me set up an area of AOE and drags mobs into it; I often help them drag mobs in. 

But a few tanks like to prove that they can take on multiple groups of mobs, so they run through them all, ruin any chance of AOE and leave the squishy healer to die. No one is impressed, it is slower, it is the ultimate arse-hattery, and it pisses everyone off. 

Stop it tanks. 
    Sounds like you let a bad pug get you down...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Stop it tanks. 
    You sure do mention dicks, arse's and piss a lot.  Perhaps you should stop gaming for a bit and look for a significant other...
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    You would do better telling that to the group tank you joined rather than posting this here.
    Chamber of Chains
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    PuG's are a crap shoot in any game. There's always that tank who pulls half the dungeon and then bitches when the healer can't keep him alive. Or the dps that stands in bad shit the entire time while doing less damage than everyone else.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016

You just realized that?
    It has been like this since WOW WotLK, no skill whatsoever, just good Gear needed.
    Is it a coincidence that every single game launched after it, bores the shit out of me?

By the way ESO at least makes an effort, it is true Normal Dungeons works this way, but in the Hardcore version if you try to play like that, you won't last 5 minutes.
    Unfortunately though, it is difficult to find players that know how to play in hardcore mode, because people expect everything to be easy and they are not trained to face a hard challenge.