Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great time to try Black Desert

2»

Comments

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Is this game b2p?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    edited December 2016
    Ok thanks. 2016 and they still have these crappy IP block. 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    DMKano said:
    free2play said:
    Kyleran said:
    They are trying to counter/ compensate for the AA 3.0 launch.
    Based on AA forum here if they allow people to log in, they won that war.
    Because forums skew grey issues into black and white issues.

The 2 NA Fresh start servers had login issues, EU fresh start did not. Legacy servers both EU and NA remained open and playable the entire time.

Also when you look at the 2 NA servers again, one had majority of problems - and that is Reckoning and even there players learned how to bypass DCs via VPN that routed around Comcast.

So once you look at it, the problem was a LOT more isolated than forums tell you - but its a lot more fun to just fling poo at the entire game because every ArcheAge server is the same... oh wait, no thats not how the game is setup at all, yeah.

I was looking at both Archeage and BDO over the holidays. I've not played either and Archeage should have won out because system requirements were so much lower but when I see Patron Queues in the thousands, I don't need to be smashed over the head with an idiot stick to see a game can't handle their own hype.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I can't put my finger on why BDO doesn't capture me. I love action combat. TERA had great action combat, I felt. BDO has a very fun and advanced combat system. Maybe it's the grind? Then again, I haven't been able to play past level 15 which happens quickly. I donno. Something about it just makes me NOT want to play it.

I had a longer stint with AA even, although that grew monotonous quickly especially with the blatant P2W Trion was rolling.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Bloodaxes said:
    Golelorn said:
    Bought it yesterday for 5 bucks. Glad I only spent 5 bucks. 

Perhaps, I am just not getting it. But the combat... I have to memorize all these moves? That's seems excessive. And so far I just haven't been fighting much. My character jumps all over the screen. I will jump 100 ft away from what I'm fighting lol. I look like a damn fool out there.

Inventory.... yikes. Its tiny. This is a huge issue. 

I'm still trying to figure out how to access the marketplace. Perhaps, I wasn't in the right place. Went to a trade manager per wiki, and I saw no options to get into the marketplace.

Is there a way to turn off that annoying Marketplace Banner popup? 

I'm really trying to give it a good shot. I figure its a new style of game, and I just need to adjust. But its been difficult.
    That is something you will have to memorize yes. There is an option I believe, that let's you see what moves you have available with the current pressed key. Until you learn them.

What class did you pick?

The inventory gets bigger with some main story quests.

Marketplace was also quite a pain to find for me too. The trade manager is not the marketplace, it's an npc store that shows you all the wares that are sold from trade packs and/or specific rare monster drops.
    Thanks. I figured out the Marketplace. One of the next quest from the Dark Energy guy was going to Velia, and I saw it there.

I'm a Valkyrie.

I'm slowly learning them in combat. 

This game has so much to learn at the beginning, and so far, the tutorial just isn't explaining things. I seem to find out random things while googling. Like wokers, and the production system. Seem like huge things to not go over...
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    wormed said:
    I can't put my finger on why BDO doesn't capture me. I love action combat. TERA had great action combat, I felt. BDO has a very fun and advanced combat system. Maybe it's the grind? Then again, I haven't been able to play past level 15 which happens quickly. I donno. Something about it just makes me NOT want to play it.

I had a longer stint with AA even, although that grew monotonous quickly especially with the blatant P2W Trion was rolling.
    The thing that keeps me captivated with BDO is the AoE PvE. (that and the artwork)

I dipped my toes in to MMO's with a Swordy in SWG a long time ago and the great virtue for them was popping nests and AoE burning huge numbers of mobs. BDO just seems like a throwback to something I knew a long time ago with much better graphics. Graphics I can't appreciate right now but switching from performance profiles to quality profiles depending on what I am doing is just part of gaming for me. I do it all the time in EVE and FF14.
  • joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Golelorn said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Golelorn said:
    Bought it yesterday for 5 bucks. Glad I only spent 5 bucks. 

Perhaps, I am just not getting it. But the combat... I have to memorize all these moves? That's seems excessive. And so far I just haven't been fighting much. My character jumps all over the screen. I will jump 100 ft away from what I'm fighting lol. I look like a damn fool out there.

Inventory.... yikes. Its tiny. This is a huge issue. 

I'm still trying to figure out how to access the marketplace. Perhaps, I wasn't in the right place. Went to a trade manager per wiki, and I saw no options to get into the marketplace.

Is there a way to turn off that annoying Marketplace Banner popup? 

I'm really trying to give it a good shot. I figure its a new style of game, and I just need to adjust. But its been difficult.
    That is something you will have to memorize yes. There is an option I believe, that let's you see what moves you have available with the current pressed key. Until you learn them.

What class did you pick?

The inventory gets bigger with some main story quests.

Marketplace was also quite a pain to find for me too. The trade manager is not the marketplace, it's an npc store that shows you all the wares that are sold from trade packs and/or specific rare monster drops.
    Thanks. I figured out the Marketplace. One of the next quest from the Dark Energy guy was going to Velia, and I saw it there.

I'm a Valkyrie.

This game has so much to learn at the beginning, and so far, the tutorial just isn't explaining things. I seem to find out random things while googling. Like wokers, and the production system. Seem like huge things to not go over...
    This is intended.  They hope out of frustration of seeking and failing to find information anywhere else in game that you will resort to opening the cash shop window in a final futile attempt to find information and will then end up buying something that catches your eye.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited December 2016
    Golelorn said:

I'm a Valkyrie.

I've heard good things from people using that class, so with a little bit of practice, i'm sure you'll start memorising some of the abilities.

It took me a bit to memorise them too. Only class I grabbed on very quickly was the tamer. I just wished there was a male version of that. I like their weapon, makes them look like a ninja using shadow magic or something like that :P

I ended up using berserker in the end. That is also a class that is easy to learn. It's skills revolve mostly around the mouse left/right buttons, with some grabs with E.

BDO really needs a better tutorial system for sure. I couldn't understand anything at first and was getting pissed. After searching and watching videos I finally understood how the worker system worked. Even catching wild horses was a pain to understand as I'd rather try it than watch it.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Its a single player offline rpg - heck not even a rpg- just a random mob slayer. Classes use recylced assets: all flashy skills look somewhat the same. If the combat was more tactical and less flashy i would join too. I got a copy but never played the game. Ive been following steparu when the game started there and was quite hyped but what i saw is what i didnt want to play.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    ill come and play bdo.. when they give away a full maxed char with meta gear

That only happens in WOW ....wrong game
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    MaxBacon said:
    The p2w and cash shop monetization model is very complex and intricate and impressive if viewed in a certain light, but I'd much rather they spent all the manhours and creativity they must have spent on it for content for the game.
    Thing is the game is constantly awarding, via events and game systems the things we would actually be more useful from the cash store.

For example Pets are one of the biggest must-haves just by logging in every day we get one, and so forth, that balances out what when you compare to other games is kinda like "pay or no deal". A friend of mine was playing and decided to just put in money to buy a pet, I instead just did the daily login reward for 14 days and got one. The moment the game goes as "you must pay up // play for like 999999 hours to get this pet" that'd be another story for me.
    It originally and still does have that "play for x hours" to get a pet.  I forget how many it is, but it's a lot.

And one pet is not enough for endgame grinding- you really want 4.

I can see where you're coming from, and it does seem fair or generous from a certain perspective.  But when you consider they didn't include auto-loot in a game that encourages you to farm hundreds of mobs/hour and limited it to pets, where you need 4 pets to just simulate an auto-loot function from a regular MMO, and then they give you one if you play for 14 days, it's less fair.

They are giving you 1/4th of an auto-loot function "for free" if you play for 14 days.

Any reasonable MMO requiring you to grind as many mobs as this one does would just implement auto-loot.

They make it feel like they're being generous by putting the pets in the shop for $10 and giving you one for free.  Same with outfits.  But really any other reasonable MMO would just have outfits available in-game and auto-loot.

It's pervasive throughout the game- you need to sub to dye your outfit the way you want.  Just think about that for a second.

And yes, you can get a "value pack" if you camp the marketplace, but shouldn't "features" like being able to dye your clothes how you want and avoiding ridiculous marketplace fees just be part of the regular game?  They are in every other MMO, including f2p ones.

They gave more than one for free.

Shortly after launch there was an event where you could save up for a free hawk. (the Maehwa/Musa celebration thing)
    The free penguin is back for the third time now, or rather, has -just- passed again.

And then there's the pet dog or cat that you can choose for playing x time.
    Granted, that doesn't help you much if you're brand new, but they have a proven track record for handing these suckers out for free.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AbaxialAbaxial Member UncommonPosts: 140
    I thought this was B2P at about €30, but currently you can get it for €5, which is a no-brainer. I've paid more for worse.

It certainly has a steep learning curve. There are loads of bewildering features only learnable with Google.

I did find it made a difference finding a class that suited my style of play - Valkyrie seems to have acceptably easy combos.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    "Fine let's address your remarks:

Full loot option removed - Even if you had the option, you wouldn't use it. Why? wouldn't it be obvious? You don't want to loot everything while grinding. You only want the good stuff, so that you don't have to walk back and forth every couple of minutes. "

What?  Ok, so are you even at endgame?  You want to loot everything.  At least half of your grinding money comes from turn-ins (i.e. you gather 1,000 of the "bad stuff" and turn it in for a million silver).

I feel like most of mmorpg.com is not at endgame still, and the game is not bad if you just want to play it casually so I suppose it's understandable why there's so much positivity about the game here.  But you guys do not know what you're talking about.

edited December 2016
    Bloodaxes said:
    Not everything is a conspiracy mate. They need to get money somehow, if you're so impatient that spamming a little the loot button is too much that you need 4 pets, it's your problem not everyone else. I was managing fine with 1-2 pets.

I think you should take a brake from reading anything related to BDO.
    It's not a conspiracy, it's literally how they chose to monetize the game- they took out basic features and stuck them in the shop.

Would you have a problem if they sold your character's face in the shop?  You can get by without a face- after all, you barely ever see it while playing.  And they need to get money somehow, right?

I mean, it's not like the game is B2P or anything.
    For $5 right now it is barely B2P. Even at regular price it is $10
    There is far more than $10 of value in the game the way it is. I think people are looking too deep into things.
    I can agree that there's at least 10 bucks in value.  There's easily 40 bucks in value.  But that doesn't change the fact that the monitization model is incredibly insidious and is only fine if you just "don't think about it too much".

I will not stand for games taking out basic features like auto-loot and basic customization and putting them in the cash shop, especially not in a b2p game (I don't care that they desperately reduced the price to 10 or 5 bucks now).

You can have your own opinion and be totally fine with having no good outfits outside of the shop, needing to sub to dye your clothes, and needing 4 pets to auto-loot.  But acting like I'm a conspiracy theorist for pointing out that these things are true is misleading for people looking to get into this game long-term.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited December 2016
    I didn't reach endgame sure but mobs I grinded also dropped weapons, gear, and crafting materials which are not as valuable when you're trying to collect black stones and/or those collect x of item for y reward. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Full loot option removed - Even if you had the option, you wouldn't use it. Why? wouldn't it be obvious? You don't want to loot everything while grinding. You only want the good stuff, so that you don't have to walk back and forth every couple of minutes. "

What?  Ok, so are you even at endgame?  You want to loot everything.  At least half of your grinding money comes from turn-ins (i.e. you gather 1,000 of the "bad stuff" and turn it in for a million silver).

I feel like most of mmorpg.com is not at endgame still, and the game is not bad if you just want to play it casually so I suppose it's understandable why there's so much positivity about the game here.  But you guys do not know what you're talking about.

And what level are you out of curiosity? I thought you left the game.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

56.  I did leave, but my main just got her awakening (after having to wait 6 months despite them saying they were not going to do a staggered release), so I'm playing the game again.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Sovrath said:

56.  I did leave, but my main just got her awakening (after having to wait 6 months despite them saying they were not going to do a staggered release), so I'm playing the game again.
    Witch awakening is pretty awesome. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/