Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Battered & Bruised" Nostalrius Server to Launch Dec 17 - World of Warcraft News

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,166
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:
    The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.
    I love how you just assume we are all millennials when we don't agree with someone stealing someone else's IP. That's pretty good right there. Don't agree with your side we are all just entitled people against those that want what they want. The irony here is pretty good. You and the ilk that are trying to get everything for free are the, as you put it, lemming train millennials.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it all for free they are using someone else's IP. That alone is enough to sue them into oblivion. There is a reason there are IP infringement laws. They are stealing, regardless of what you and all the other people here condoning theft seem to think.

When Blizzard finally shuts down WoW, then there maybe a different discussion. But since WoW is still going, this is 100% theft. 

Totally agree with you, I don't agree with what they're doing at all. The law surrounding this is "difficult" though. However, I believe there is tightening up going on with this sort of thing, which I think is great. However, bringing a lawsuit against them is tough as things stand. That being said, I'm sure that Blizzard is equally capable of finding a loophole in the system, so I'm sure we'll see a lawsuit at some point, if not only to keep the server operators in court long enough to bleed them dry of every cent they have to their name, in legal fees. Just a matter of finding that thing that will allow them to actually sue. 
    What your prescribing is what is already happening to hard working honest people being fucked over by the likes of the Monsanto's of the world.

This type of legal tactic is a gross corruption of the legal system and a tactic that is making legal systems, only work for those with the money.

A much deeper and real problem then some stupid video game IP

Strange comparison coming from you LAser , you usually make sense and i know you are a business man , But are you forgetting tht ATVI/Blizz is publicly owned and its not just a stupid game IP as hundreds of thousands of folks (me included) have invested there future into the stupid game ip with there retirement fund etc ..
    I'm not commenting on the Blizz vs Nost thing here. I'm criticizing  the tactic of keeping someone in the courts and winning a case through attrition without ever actually arguing the merits of the actual case.

laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:
    The difference between Nost and Ely is that the former took donations, which by law you cannot do. Elysium does not take any donations. It's 100% free work by their team. And that falls into a legal grey area that blizzard hasn't touched yet, and most likely never will until they release their own vanilla servers. These guys are doing good work for FREE and you knock them. You lemming train millennials need to just go back to playing current WoW aka Diablo 4 with a crappy storyline and no potion bar.
    I love how you just assume we are all millennials when we don't agree with someone stealing someone else's IP. That's pretty good right there. Don't agree with your side we are all just entitled people against those that want what they want. The irony here is pretty good. You and the ilk that are trying to get everything for free are the, as you put it, lemming train millennials.

It doesn't matter if they are doing it all for free they are using someone else's IP. That alone is enough to sue them into oblivion. There is a reason there are IP infringement laws. They are stealing, regardless of what you and all the other people here condoning theft seem to think.

When Blizzard finally shuts down WoW, then there maybe a different discussion. But since WoW is still going, this is 100% theft. 

Totally agree with you, I don't agree with what they're doing at all. The law surrounding this is "difficult" though. However, I believe there is tightening up going on with this sort of thing, which I think is great. However, bringing a lawsuit against them is tough as things stand. That being said, I'm sure that Blizzard is equally capable of finding a loophole in the system, so I'm sure we'll see a lawsuit at some point, if not only to keep the server operators in court long enough to bleed them dry of every cent they have to their name, in legal fees. Just a matter of finding that thing that will allow them to actually sue. 
    What your prescribing is what is already happening to hard working honest people being fucked over by the likes of the Monsanto's of the world.

This type of legal tactic is a gross corruption of the legal system and a tactic that is making legal systems, only work for those with the money.

GMOS and vaccines are safe.  Monsanto isn't the evil corporation all the yuppie "organic" idiots believe it to be.  But thanks for showing your ignorance.
    My comment is about criticizing their legal tactics not their products.

Countries having their own seed banks inside of retired mine shafts helps me sleep better at night.

Your welcome ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,261
    gonna give a shot. never played private server. best pvp moments i had wow was old AV in vanilla.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,869

Phry said:

There is always the possibility that Blizzard has given them 'unofficial' permission to host a vanilla server, at least i hope so, as the alternative is that Blizzard is likely to start legal proceedings against individuals involved in the 'illegal' server, after all, they know who they are and where they live, and given that they have already been served once with a cease and desist, a successful prosecution could result in custodial sentences for those involved, which is not a good thing to be on their resume's should they be considering gainful employment at a future date. O.o

That was my first thought as well, but when they released the source code it was like waving a red flag in front of a bull.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,450
    edited December 2016
    Aeander said:

That's a disgusting analogy. These are people directly using Blizzard's IP, art, gameplay, and source code. Blizzard has every right to take legal action, especially if the private server is for-profit.

This is not fair use. And the actual corruption of law would be that which is used to justify this.
    Don't disagree with your point in a general sense but I think we have to assume that those behind this know what they are doing. And that they must anticipate a legal response from Blizzard. So what is the score?
    • All agree that Blizzard own the IP I hope. 
    • And that the server code has been independently developed.
    • People running it are not making any money.
    • Nor are the people running the servers "using" the IP - it is the players using the IP.
    So the people profiting will be the players. Playing the game without paying Blizzard.

I think this could result in two lines of "viable" legal attack - there could be others obviously.
    • First that Blizzard are suffering financially - people playing without paying. If they all "testified" that they had no intent to subscribe to WoW this might fail - suspect not - but it would facilitate the ...
    • Second line of attack against the individuals. Which would put us in the realms of e.g. people downloading films etc.  And for this Blizzard would want the names of all the players - which could potentially result in a(nother) internet user privacy battle case

Wonder whether users will be anonymous? Are masked IPs going to be used? I think it will be a certainty that those using the service accept some probably limited liability to "underwrite" the folks operating the server.  

I wonder what would happen if Blizzard offer to "licence" the server - with the players paying Blizzard directly. And having to accept that Blizzard were not providing the service just the rights to the IP. (And I am assuming here that the Blizzard no longer offer a vanilla server experience - if that argument is made - fails.)

• AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,167
    Arskaaa said:
    gonna give a shot. never played private server. best pvp moments i had wow was old AV in vanilla.
    By best PvP moments you mean tossing aoe at choke points?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,869
    Blizzard could always open a P2P or F2P vanilla server and make a fortune off the cast shop.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,910
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:

Strange comparison coming from you LAser , you usually make sense and i know you are a business man , But are you forgetting tht ATVI/Blizz is publicly owned and its not just a stupid game IP as hundreds of thousands of folks (me included) have invested there future into the stupid game ip with there retirement fund etc ..
    I'm not commenting on the Blizz vs Nost thing here. I'm criticizing  the tactic of keeping someone in the courts and winning a case through attrition without ever actually arguing the merits of the actual case.

laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Deekins said:
    toolak said:

GMOS and vaccines are safe.  Monsanto isn't the evil corporation all the yuppie "organic" idiots believe it to be.  But thanks for showing your ignorance.
    My comment is about criticizing their legal tactics not their products.

Countries having their own seed banks inside of retired mine shafts helps me sleep better at night.

Your welcome ;)
      ahh ... but its not some stupid game ip... you take that back :)
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,021
    edited December 2016
    Ceironx said:
    Deekins said:
    Yes, this will turn out better than before. Time for Blizzard's lawyer team to get ready for a suing.

To add to that. Before someone spouting off about how they reversed engineered the code and made it their own or whatever. They are using WoW name, characters, and every other thing in it. That is theft of an IP. Just because they didn't use their code doesn't mean they didn't steal.

Time for Blizzard to make an example of these idiots. As someone pointed out, they don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed since they are just repeating the same thing again.
    You realise most, especially asian, gaming companies copy and paste from other games.
    I'm sure you do or did aswell atleast once in your life. Copying documents on the internet, changing its words and eventually showing it to your teacher.  Heck today all essays work like that. You just copy and paste the content but use different words.
    So in your eyes plagiarizing an essay for your high school class is the same as someone stealing the work of a company that spent millions of dollars creating said software?  You're adorable.
  • XodicXodic Member EpicPosts: 1,021
    edited December 2016
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    Aori said:

Aori said:

Enjoy your 400ms of free gameplay, dirty leechers.

Oh yeah leechers who paid sub for years and bought all WOW expansion until I decided that I want to try or go back to Vanilla . You have a limited and narrow mind my dear friend !

I've heard Wow Awakening is moving Servers to Europe for legal purposes possible to avoid Blizzard IP owner ship like that ?

Other wise I don't see a good reason to start and all to be Wiped again .
    Just because I was loyal to my local grocery store for 10 years doesn't mean I can just walk in and help myself what I want at no cost.

You're stealing, there is no justification for your actions, you're a criminal.
    A better analogy is that the grocery store changed all their shit around and implemented new policies that pissed a lot of customers off. So the customers cloned the store as it was before and opened it right next door for free. A thieving criminal, perhaps, but so was Robin Hood.
    Robin Hood stealing from the rich to help the poor isn't the same as a bunch of entitled whiny gamers not getting their way so they decide to steal what they want.  

No, no it's not the same.

Thieving criminals that commit acts that benefit thousands of others while putting themselves in danger and personally gaining nothing - it's not so bad. Hell, the statement alone is worth more than a vanilla WoW server.

This is how revolutions start. Maybe if we had more people like this, companies would stop doing stupid shit to line their pockets.
    Revolutions for a video game?  You need to get some perspective and fast.  This isn't a right being with held or a ethnic group that is being terrorized by it's own government.  This is the problem with the west, we have no great tragedy in our daily lives so we make up causes that don't exist. What's next?  Arby's doens't give you 4 napkins, but instead they give you only 3!  Better get on facebook and start a REVOLUTION!
    Are you serious? It was in reference to bringing much needed change.

You're downplaying the importance and uprising over a video-game, but yet you call for some sort of immediate legal action against the same subject.

You're flexible enough to put your foot in your mouth and your head up your ass all in the same post.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,021
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    Aori said:

Aori said:

Oh yeah leechers who paid sub for years and bought all WOW expansion until I decided that I want to try or go back to Vanilla . You have a limited and narrow mind my dear friend !

I've heard Wow Awakening is moving Servers to Europe for legal purposes possible to avoid Blizzard IP owner ship like that ?

Just because I was loyal to my local grocery store for 10 years doesn't mean I can just walk in and help myself what I want at no cost.

A better analogy is that the grocery store changed all their shit around and implemented new policies that pissed a lot of customers off. So the customers cloned the store as it was before and opened it right next door for free. A thieving criminal, perhaps, but so was Robin Hood.
    Robin Hood stealing from the rich to help the poor isn't the same as a bunch of entitled whiny gamers not getting their way so they decide to steal what they want.  

Thieving criminals that commit acts that benefit thousands of others while putting themselves in danger and personally gaining nothing - it's not so bad. Hell, the statement alone is worth more than a vanilla WoW server.

This is how revolutions start. Maybe if we had more people like this, companies would stop doing stupid shit to line their pockets.
    Revolutions for a video game?  You need to get some perspective and fast.  This isn't a right being with held or a ethnic group that is being terrorized by it's own government.  This is the problem with the west, we have no great tragedy in our daily lives so we make up causes that don't exist. What's next?  Arby's doens't give you 4 napkins, but instead they give you only 3!  Better get on facebook and start a REVOLUTION!

You're downplaying the importance and uprising over a video-game, but yet you call for some sort of immediate legal action against the same subject.

You're flexible enough to put your foot in your mouth and your head up your ass all in the same post.
    Considering that legal action is within their rights and your idea of a revolution for a video game is ridiculous.  I'd say you sir are the one with your head up your ass.  How do you even type in this thread with it up there?  I'm impressed.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,912
    Oh yeah these horrible thieves! Stealing a game they already paid for to give it away for free while not taking a single cent from Blizzard who doesn't want to offer the same service to people willing to pay.

KEK

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• XodicXodic Member EpicPosts: 1,021
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    Xodic said:
    Aori said:

Aori said:

Considering that legal action is within their rights and your idea of a revolution for a video game is ridiculous.  I'd say you sir are the one with your head up your ass.  How do you even type in this thread with it up there?  I'm impressed.
    You mean changing the way companies look and listen to players?

It is their legal right to go after these guys, of course it is. It goes against their interests to do nothing, but it goes against all player's interests to want the people behind this server crucified.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,450

ianicus said:

<snip>

Since Blizz isn't willing to do it, this could only be possible if the pirate server pays Blizzard a fee. These pirate servers usually run on donations so they are indeed making money with someone else's work.

I think in this case there will be no "donations".

Although the servers may have been donated from some previously shut down operation!

So if they are not paying Blizzard I suspect planned "altruism" - enough to run the servers for "some months" say. 

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,865
    gervaise1 said:
    Aeander said:
    That's a disgusting analogy. These are people directly using Blizzard's IP, art, gameplay, and source code. Blizzard has every right to take legal action, especially if the private server is for-profit.

This is not fair use. And the actual corruption of law would be that which is used to justify this.
    Don't disagree with your point in a general sense but I think we have to assume that those behind this know what they are doing. And that they must anticipate a legal response from Blizzard. So what is the score?
    • All agree that Blizzard own the IP I hope. 
    • And that the server code has been independently developed.
    • People running it are not making any money.
    • Nor are the people running the servers "using" the IP - it is the players using the IP.
    So the people profiting will be the players. Playing the game without paying Blizzard.

I think this could result in two lines of "viable" legal attack - there could be others obviously.
    • First that Blizzard are suffering financially - people playing without paying. If they all "testified" that they had no intent to subscribe to WoW this might fail - suspect not - but it would facilitate the ...
    • Second line of attack against the individuals. Which would put us in the realms of e.g. people downloading films etc.  And for this Blizzard would want the names of all the players - which could potentially result in a(nother) internet user privacy battle case

Wonder whether users will be anonymous? Are masked IPs going to be used? I think it will be a certainty that those using the service accept some probably limited liability to "underwrite" the folks operating the server.  

I wonder what would happen if Blizzard offer to "licence" the server - with the players paying Blizzard directly. And having to accept that Blizzard were not providing the service just the rights to the IP. (And I am assuming here that the Blizzard no longer offer a vanilla server experience - if that argument is made - fails.)

Or they could go with an entirely different tactic. They could keep up a legal front as a smokescreen and ddos and hack the hell out of their servers. Why shouldn't business and citizens take those tactics if governments are going to ignore the issue?
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,134

So many comments from people who have no idea whatsoever how the law works in this case...

Blizzard can't do nothing, so the server getting shut down is not going to happen anytime soon.

In fact the only way the server might get shut down is if Blizzard pay off these guys behind the scene to shut it down. There is nothing else they can do. Sadly some(often) times the law just can't help even if you are in the right.

I personally won't probably play on this(or any other private)server. I don't really support this type of behaviour, BUT in this particular cause I don't completely disapprove either, because there's more than enough proof that there are plenty of people who would gladly play on Vanilla servers, yet Blizzard just ignore it, no even worse. They pretended to care, but in fact ignored... Would have been better if they said outright that they won't do a Vanilla server and be done with it.

At the moment I have only 2 rl friends who still play WoW(from about 30 or so back in Vanilla). I've asked around and about 20 have confirmed that if there are Vanilla servers they would be more than happy to start playing again(even if just casual).

Legion is great, but it's a grindfest... I don't know what other people think, but for me this is probably the first expansion where I geniunely feel like I'm not playing anymore for fun, but I'm playing as if it's an actual work... You miss 1-2 days and you feel like you are way behind everyone else.

What's more playing more than 2 characters without being a streamer(aka playing being your job) is close to impossible. At least impossible to keep them at the same level of progress. Even 2 chars is a bit of a strain.

Blizzard needs to make some appropriate adjustments and I don't mean just the possibility to get high AK on your alts like what they are adding in the upcoming patch.

Why am I mentioning Legion? Well today my sub expired and I actually debated whether I should pay it or not... If Vanilla servers existed I wouldn't be even thinking about this.

If there is nothing they can do then why did Nos even shut down the server the first time? Why would they even stop and not just start the server back up? There is way more here to it then you saying "They Can't do anything.. lol"

The fact is Blizzard can do something about it because the names that are used are IP Copyrighted by Blizzard and anything that uses the names, characters, art, ect. is all Blizzards for them to control.

So I will not be suprised at all to see this server shut down within months of it opening up. And if any of the original Nos team is working on this new server then I wish them the best of luck as they have already been told once to cease and desist.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,910

So many comments from people who have no idea whatsoever how the law works in this case...

Blizzard can't do nothing, so the server getting shut down is not going to happen anytime soon.

In fact the only way the server might get shut down is if Blizzard pay off these guys behind the scene to shut it down. There is nothing else they can do. Sadly some(often) times the law just can't help even if you are in the right.

I personally won't probably play on this(or any other private)server. I don't really support this type of behaviour, BUT in this particular cause I don't completely disapprove either, because there's more than enough proof that there are plenty of people who would gladly play on Vanilla servers, yet Blizzard just ignore it, no even worse. They pretended to care, but in fact ignored... Would have been better if they said outright that they won't do a Vanilla server and be done with it.

At the moment I have only 2 rl friends who still play WoW(from about 30 or so back in Vanilla). I've asked around and about 20 have confirmed that if there are Vanilla servers they would be more than happy to start playing again(even if just casual).

Legion is great, but it's a grindfest... I don't know what other people think, but for me this is probably the first expansion where I geniunely feel like I'm not playing anymore for fun, but I'm playing as if it's an actual work... You miss 1-2 days and you feel like you are way behind everyone else.

What's more playing more than 2 characters without being a streamer(aka playing being your job) is close to impossible. At least impossible to keep them at the same level of progress. Even 2 chars is a bit of a strain.

Blizzard needs to make some appropriate adjustments and I don't mean just the possibility to get high AK on your alts like what they are adding in the upcoming patch.

Why am I mentioning Legion? Well today my sub expired and I actually debated whether I should pay it or not... If Vanilla servers existed I wouldn't be even thinking about this.

If there is nothing they can do then why did Nos even shut down the server the first time? Why would they even stop and not just start the server back up? There is way more here to it then you saying "They Can't do anything.. lol"

The fact is Blizzard can do something about it because the names that are used are IP Copyrighted by Blizzard and anything that uses the names, characters, art, ect. is all Blizzards for them to control.

So I will not be suprised at all to see this server shut down within months of it opening up. And if any of the original Nos team is working on this new server then I wish them the best of luck as they have already been told once to cease and desist.
    hmmm Im actually wondering with a 12 day head start by announcing it , if Blizz doesnt put the brakes on it before it opens...
  • DrDreamDrDream Member UncommonPosts: 237
    edited December 2016
    I love the stupidity of the people on these forums just hating on Nost and now Elysium who is a non profit server. When there are severs like [mod edit] and many more for things like gear, mounts, and other things. They shut down because they wanted blizz to bring us real Legacy realms and they learned quickly that isn't something they are actually intrested in doing or not until there game has no population at all then theyll do it do bring back players.

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,264
    They operating on donations right ? Or am I mistaken about that ?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,451

Also I want to apologize for misunderstand you.
    Oh please there's nothing to apologize for. I get it, a lot of people sort of think that certain comments are attacks here on the interwebz but if we were all sitting in the same room the tone of the conversation would probably be a lot more cordial.

In any case thank for the info.

• HordefallHordefall Member CommonPosts: 3

Deekins said:

toolak said:

What the hell is wrong with you? First off the word stealing. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, words mean things. It is not stealing if the original possessor still has the thing. Stealing was already against the law - if it was stealing then we wouldn't have needed the new IP infringement laws that you yourself mention. You can't even keep your own false narrative straight.

So you mean it is "like" stealing, because Blizzard is not getting the money out of me that they would have gotten. False assumption. I don't want to buy the game they are selling today, so there is no chance of them making a sale. Not sure why I say it that way - I already bought everything except Legion - They've gotten well over a grand out of me over the years.

Who is ripping who off here? I just want to play the silly video game I bought for a thousand bucks and invested years into, and I am ripping them off? And you calling me a thief really pisses me off.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,451
    edited December 2016
    Hordefall said:

Deekins said:

toolak said:

What the hell is wrong with you? First off the word stealing. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, words mean things. It is not stealing if the original possessor still has the thing. Stealing was already against the law - if it was stealing then we wouldn't have needed the new IP infringement laws that you yourself mention. You can't even keep your own false narrative straight.

So you mean it is "like" stealing, because Blizzard is not getting the money out of me that they would have gotten. False assumption. I don't want to buy the game they are selling today, so there is no chance of them making a sale. Not sure why I say it that way - I already bought everything except Legion - They've gotten well over a grand out of me over the years.

Who is ripping who off here? I just want to play the silly video game I bought for a thousand bucks and invested years into, and I am ripping them off? And you calling me a thief really pisses me off.
    When people use the word "stealing" in the context of software/music/movies, etc, it's always about obtaining something that one hasn't paid for. And therefore don't have the right to access it.

It becomes a sort of colloquialism.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,096
    Wow <- expression of astonishment not game reference
    A lot of mention of heroes and villains (thieves, once again not a game reference)
    While hoping they get sued is just rooting for corporate greed, Blizzard has the money and resources to run a Vanilla like server if they were inclined to do so, calling them heroes really cheapens the word. People publicly releasing a pirate version of a game risking getting sued or worse is something else all together . . .  starting with S and rhyming with cupid. 
  • PpiperPpiper Member RarePosts: 1,056

toolak said:

Omg, best post of the year.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 2,651
    Hope these thieves get shut down.  Again.
  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Member LegendaryPosts: 3,584
    Deekins said:
    Hordefall said:

Deekins said:

toolak said:

It is stealing. It is theft of an IP. You don't being called a thief..don't steal. I don't care how much it pisses you off, stealing something is what thieves do.

Just because you don't like the game it has become doesn't negate the fact it is still going in a different fashion, but same game. The damned box even says gameplay may change.

IP infringements can mean stealing things inside the IP too. And they are using the IP name, characters, items and everything in between. So in this case it doesn't matter if they aren't paying, it is theft.
    What I find the most interesting about all of the hullabaloo surrounding the resurrection of Nost is that while so many people here are losing their shit over it, nobody has uttered a single peep about any other renegade server games. SWG, Warhammer Online, UO, EQ, DAOC, all of these games have or at least had EMU servers, yet not only do people here, even the people who work at this very site, bad mouth any of those, they've even on occasion spoken of them fondly.

Now call me crazy but why do they get a free pass? All of them still use assets created by someone else. All of them are tied to an IP that they aren't paying a license fee for. What's the fucking difference? And don't give me the bullshit answer that's its because the games are no longer available to play. Why? Well first off EQ, UO, and DAOC are still very much alive, not the same game they used to be maybe, but then of course neither is World of Warcraft. And SWG and WH Online may be very much dead, but the IP licenses they are based on are still very much alive and very very profitable. So again what is the fucking difference, well other than the obvious hashtag warrior lynch mob mentality that is so sadly prevalent these days, not to mention a massive amount of hypocrisy.

"You have kept me at your beck and call for fifteen years. I shall never again do what you demand of me. By every rule of single combat, from this moment your life belongs to me. Is that not correct? Then I shall simply declare you dead. In all of your dealings with me, you'll do me the courtesy to conduct yourself as a dead man. I have submitted to your notions of honor long enough. You will now submit to mine."