Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to play an MMO, just can't figure which one to play

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited December 2016 in LFGame
I loved LOTRO, but cash shop is really bad now. Used to be my #1 favorite MMO.

I love EQ2, and that one I'm really wanting to re-subscribe too. Its high on my list, so if there are no others, that be one I go to. It has a TON of content for PVErs, and a ton for both solo and grouping. So much to do. Plus subbing to deybreak games lets me play a whole bunch of MMOs. Like DC Universe is fun, same with planetside 2. Would be by far best bang for the buck.

Tried GW2, but I like progression, and I don't like the class system at all. I loved GW1 a lot more.

Maybe age of conan? But never really got that into it, tortage was the best part

Then I'm thinking really old games, even EQ1 or anarchy online. But thinking about it, they are just sooooo old. If I was to go to an MMO that old, it be AO easily...love the engineer. its just so dated

Even thought of trying puzzle pirates. If that shows how desperate I am xD

Didn't like ESO, SWTOR, BDO. Sorta liked FFXIV, but I liked the previous final fantasy mmo (the older FF mmo) more. And that one last time I tried, the older final fantasy MMO can't even be played in 1920x1080, so no go there. If it could, I'd sub in a heart beat.

Tried diablo 3, but no necromancer

tried path of exiles, and that was a lot of fun. I played that for a while. Haven't played in a year and a half though.

Thought of trying Aion, but I dunno.

Even thought of playing maple story, that is even more desperate than wanting to play puzzle pirates rofl. It did get a new version called "Maplestory Reborn" that removes pay to win. and maplestory I played for a little over 4 years before stopping. That was a while ago

What I'm really looking for is an MMO with a lot of grind, a heavy focus (or just an entire focus) on PVE, TONS of content outside of raiding. Dungeons are fine, don't like raiding. And just a TON to do.

That leaves EQ2 and maplestory on that list. Not much of a list lol, but at least EQ2 is pretty good. And maplestory is just one big grind.

Outside of MMOs. I play ark survival and GTA 5, those are a lot of fun. Waiting for dark and light and conan exiles. But I dunno how those will turn out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Is this really you or is it a Reddit recycled post?

PS pushing 60 hours of insomnia
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2016
    Nah its me. This isn't anything like a reddit generator produces. The reddit generator threads should be pretty obvious

But, I've been trying to decide an MMO to play all day, and almost subbed to EQ2. But decided I better really make sure I spend that 15 dollars wisely.

And yeah there is a lot of freemiums and EQ2 is "free", but freemiums are far too limiting. Even LOTRO I wouldn't play for free, being forced to unlock a bunch of stuff. Even SWTOR which is easily played free, I'd rather sub to than dealing with all the limitations. I don't want to play SWTOR though, not really my type of MMO, but just as an example.

Just want a good long lasting MMO to play, with a lot of content, a lot of grinding, but more to do at endgame than just raiding. EQ2 does have that, and maplestory kinda fits. But I dunno.

Was joke! :)

How much of FFXIV have you actually played? Because Heavensward is a solid PvE game. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited December 2016

How much of FFXIV have you actually played? Because Heavensward is a solid PvE game. 
    Just up to level 38. The world felt too closed in (edit: And I know the original FF was same way, but guess I got used to newer MMOs with more open areas). Though I didn't care too much about that, it was more annoying the cities were in an instance and instances were inside the city. Though, I loved playing my artificer I think it was, the one who could summon different pets. Was a very fun class to play, and actually one of my favorites in an MMO.

Heavensward IS a lot more open, and looks really epic. The hard part is getting there lol. If I recall, I had to do TONS of quests just to be able to get there, even if I was the right level. Maybe slightly mistaken about that. I know there was something where I had to do this chain of quests or something to unlock the area. But it kinda made me not want to keep playing.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    If you want to play an MMO, then play EVE.  If you want some kind of near-facsimile of an MMO, then pretty much anything else will do.

Just up to level 38. The world felt too closed in (edit: And I know the original FF was same way, but guess I got used to newer MMOs with more open areas). Though I didn't care too much about that, it was more annoying the cities were in an instance and instances were inside the city. Though, I loved playing my artificer I think it was, the one who could summon different pets. Was a very fun class to play, and actually one of my favorites in an MMO.

Heavensward IS a lot more open, and looks really epic. The hard part is getting there lol. If I recall, I had to do TONS of quests just to be able to get there, even if I was the right level. Maybe slightly mistaken about that. I know there was something where I had to do this chain of quests or something to unlock the area. But it kinda made me not want to keep playing.
    Yes you have to do the main story to be able to get there, which requires maybe a dozen of instance runs as well. But it's not that bad, some parts are actually enjoyable. I think I did the whole thing in 3 days or something. I was sick at home and played a lot though. 

But after that, game is quite good. 

• 0theri0n0theri0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    edited December 2016
    Maybe take a break from MMOs for a bit. Play some single player games, or even take a break from games in total. Then after a while maybe you will have built up some excitement or appreciation for one of the games you have mentioned. Aion isn't bad, tons of stuff to do and there aren't any limitations on the content. The cash shop is mostly exp boosts, potions, and skins. I'm only suggesting taking a break because i get to the same feeling sometimes. There are so many mmos out there and i get bored of them that i don't know what to play. But taking a break gives you some perspective about what kind of game you really want to focus on. Good luck!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well, it seems like you are sold on EQ2 for the moment, but its good to have some options with future games coming out. Dark and Light is supposedly going into Early Access sometime this month which is supposedly a more survival focused game but will have PvE servers.

You also have Revelations Online with their CBT2 this month I believe, so it might be worth checking out if you get a key into it.

There's always Rift, which just released its latest expansion.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I keep going to eq for the 8000 aa points. That is longevity. Don't  do the auto level aa point thing. Will take years. Tons of grind but always something to  work on. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    WoW, ESO, FFXIV, GW2, Blade and Soul, Black Desert, Archeage, Revelation Online, TERA... about the only ones I can recommend atm unless you want to play a game whose death is imminent.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    ESO

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I keep going to eq for the 8000 aa points. That is longevity. Don't  do the auto level aa point thing. Will take years. Tons of grind but always something to  work on. 
    I heard they changed AA limits in EQ2 vs EQ, would you happen to know the details on the limits etc?
    edited December 2016
    I slept on it, instead of just hitting sub and maybe regretting it.

It was between LOTRO, Daybreak games, EVE Online, ESO. And maybe just play maplestory for free or maybe FFXIV

I crossed Maplestory in seconds, when I realized they never updated to 1920x1080 resolution. That is a game ender right there. So that was off the list. If it was in 1920x1080, it have actually been a MUCH harder choice. Been tied in my 1st choice. But it isn't, so its a dead game to me. Plus another nail in the coffin was when I read how terrible customer support is. Then the third nail that you have to play with a pet, but even if you buy a pet, it only lasts  3 months rofl. What a scam. Threw that decision into the graveyard and salted and burned the corpse.

FFXIV was my next decision. But, outside of the awesome class (the summoner one, artificer I think), the world (at least before heavensward) is kinda meh. It isn't the zones or instances, its just the lack of clutter and things to look at. I know that sounds maybe minor to most people. But unless its in space, I like the world full of stuff (like in WoW, the zones are filled with scenery objects and stuff, makes it very lively). Maybe heavensward is better there, but FFXIV it all felt kinda empty. The game itself is pretty good (gameplay wise) besides that, but I don't want to play in an empty world.

Though that in itself isn't a game over either (cause EQ2 kinda has the same design, the zones always felt kinda empty of clutter except for the cities themselves). What I found to be a bigger problem, and I like to solo a lot. But that doesn't mean I'm by myself or wanting a non-social experience. Just means I group when I want to group, which is often, but not always. But...any time I talked in FFXIV or ran around cities. I saw tons of people, no one talked. Sometimes occasionally someone would. Mostly it was gold selling spam and stuff. I even joined a cabal I think it was, and it was pretty quiet and lifeless. And the people who did talk usually didn't even talk in english, or it was gold spam (mostly) or occasionally there'd be an actual person talking in english. 

Maybe its because faerie isn't a good server or something, but the really populated server I got on (really hard to do, got on after a patch or maybe server had gone down or something), the community was really rude. As in, so rude I thought WoW had a community of saints. Granted I never played the pvp servers in WoW, and pvpers and the very hardcore raiders (which the server I got on was filled with) are rather rude in general

I think that was mostly why I ended up quitting, not really so much the world design. Either I got a "nice" community, but filled with gold spam, very quiet and usually not in english (even though I was on a US based server). or I got a rude community full of trolls and meme generators.

So that got marked off the list.

ESO I played, and it is a pretty good MMO. I'd rather mod up skyrim or fallout 4 though. ESO is better than the console versions of Elder Scrolls, not as good as how much I can customize skyrim into my own experience. If skyrim didn't exist or couldn't be modded, I'd probably have a harder time crossing ESO off. It does however have a good pay model, but every time I tried playing in the past, I'd play a few days and then go "modded skyrim is way more epic" and then play 100 straight hours (with sleep in between) of modded skyrim :P Not counting the time to mod skyrim. All ESO does to me is get me back to playing heavily modded skyrim. So off that list.

Leaving LOTRO/EVE and Daybreak games. Very hard decision between all three. But in the end I crossed LOTRO off.

Reading about how pay to win LOTRO cash shop has become (buying endgame armor/weapons right from the cash shop) killed it for me. If it wasn't for that, it have come down to the 1st and 2nd choices of the game. But even if it wasn't pay to win, the in your face complete immersion breaking cash shop kinda ruins the immersion of the experience. In ESO, even then the cash shop I always have a hard time finding lol. Always forget what menu its in. ESO payment model is vastly better, and vastly less in your face. I'd rather play ESO between the two, even though I marked it off my list before LOTRO.

Leaving EVE and Daybreak games. And you probably already know what I picked. But, it really could have gone either way, but the PVE aspect of both Everquest 1 and 2 sold it for me by just a bit. I'm more of a PVE player than a pvp player. With the rare exception that I kinda liked WoW PvP (so guess a casual pvp player). EVE PvP isn't that bad though, and I never lost anything I couldn't easily replace. So again, could have gone either way.

What really sold me on Daybreak, was that on top of the huge amount of PVE content, I get to play ALL daybreak games for the low price of 15 USD a month. So I can play EQ 1, EQ2, even DCUO and all kinds of games of theirs. 

Of course, Daybreak is now 100% owned by the investment company, so no idea the future of there games. But guess I'll enjoy them for as long as they live. That was the only major problem I had with that decision, was them just canning all the games permanently. Not like an investment company would care.

• BisloboBislobo Member UncommonPosts: 27
    itsover said:
    ESO

• Jixen9Jixen9 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    check out my post on Black Desert Online here in the LFgame forum..I highly recommend BDO, i havent been so hooked to a game in a longg time. I also was a lotr and eq1 and eq2 fan,, so i feel ya.
  • Jixen9Jixen9 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    also, feel free to message me. Id gladly show u some good videos to watch n good game guides. i can also introduce ya to a bunch of people in game u can hang with.. the game is only 10$ one time payment too
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited December 2016
    Albatroes said:
    I heard they changed AA limits in EQ2 vs EQ, would you happen to know the details on the limits etc?
    I don't know what the limit is in EQ2 but it is significantly less than in EQ1. EQ2 hasw several hundred AA. If there was a change for this I missed it, it hasn't affected me yet anyway (not maxed  at all).

The difference is in EQ2 you start earning them at level 10. But you can change how much xp goes towards the AA vs towards regular leveling. At least you can with a sub. Preferred is held at 50%
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.