Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dauntless ARPG Announced - Next Evolution of Coop RPGs - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

DMKano said:

Forgrimm said:

Distopia said:

DMKano said:

Looking at official site and the snippet of actual gameplay - this is NOT an ARPG like Diablo, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Torchlight etc...

- No "isometric cam"

- The game uses behind the character camera just like traditional MMORPGs

- The combat looks like a poor man's version of Tera meets Witcher 3 (sorry just calling it how it looks like NOW on their site, obviously this is very early on and could be changed).

So whoever named this ARPG is not really familiar with what that term means.

See for yourself - this is no ARPG

https://playdauntless.com/

ARPG doesn't need an isometric camera,... ARPG just means the focus is on action, rather than on strong RP systems. I'd also consider Diablo to be a Hack and Slash game (like Gauntlet), not an ARPG... But that's just me..

Yup. Fable, for eample, is an action RPG that doesn't use isometric view. Same with Jade Empire.

And yet your average player wont call them arpgs.

At the time when they came out and were being talked about, they were generally referred to as action rpg's or action/adventure rpg's. Games like Diablo were always generally referred to as "hack & slash" games originally. It wasn't until later on that they got lumped into the Action-RPG umbrella term.
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Aori said:
    ..so Wildstar the ARPG?
    That is precisely what this is

<yawn>

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

Oyjord said:

Hope it also has couch co-op. Besides Diablo 3 and Skylanders, there's nothing else to play on the PS4 with my kid.

There is also Helldivers, the various Lego games, and Borderlands. There are a few others too but these ones I've played with my fiance at least.