Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Becoming discouraged

xcerebrusxcerebrus Member UncommonPosts: 41
Since 99' EQ1 captured my imagination and I just loved every second of the grind and the community. the LFG aspect actually having to find the group of people or even wait in line for a spot. The conversations, the gameplay was awesome. I found that spark again in FFXI, many more mmo's did not have that spark at all and felt more single player. WoW Vanilla caught my attention and has been my go to ever since.

My question is, what game really captured you in it?

What game today would have that kind of community and feel again?

I played BDO, pvp fest nightmare otherwise PVE was great.
FFXIV just feels so dead leveling now.
WoW im just burnt out on 
FFXI and EQ just too old for me to play at this point I am an graphics whore now lol

Anyone see anything on the horizon or something soon that seems like it could capture that nostalgia or is it just a pipe dream still for the time being?

Comments

• xcerebrusxcerebrus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited December 2016
    I typed this from my phone so im sure the grammar sucks bear with me lol
  • valgrim1333valgrim1333 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Pantheon.  From the guy (Brad Mcquaid) behind EQ and Vanguard.  That is most likely quite a ways off though.  
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    I would go back to Black Desert. It really isn't a pvp fest nightmare. Especially since I've only been pk'ed 4 times. That can't possibly be a nightmare.

With pvp being pushed back to level 50 that could also help. If you though the pve was great you might consider giving it another shot.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, there is always Pantheon (same lead designer as EQ) that seems pretty good. I at least though t it interesting enough to put in $100 some months back.

It looks rather good and have a lot of old school mechanics with some new ideas, but it wont hit beta until late next year (or so I hope at least).

But it might be that something that really can bring out a experience close to your first MMO need to be so much different from anything else you tried that it might never be made, or it might take many years. For each game similar to what you already tried you do lose a bit of wonder.

Most of the odder indie and crowdfunded games in development right now (like Crowfall and Camelot Unchained) are pretty PvP heavy and based on what you like I don't think they are really your type (but I can be wrong, EQ had a few rather acceptable PvP servers).

Another game that I have large doubts about but wont cross of my personal list yet is Lineage: Eternal. The first game was actually a rather good oldschool game when it released and who knows, maybe the devs want to recapture some of that (Lineage is still NC Softs top earning game after 16 years so the gameplay must have some popularity even though I have no clue how they changed it since I played it in 2001). Just worth a peak at least.

A total wildcard is Shards online, UOs creators latest project. It allows players to decide their own servers with custom serverrules and even custom mechanics. Great idea but I ain't sure if they can make it work.
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Pantheon.  From the guy (Brad Mcquaid) behind EQ and Vanguard.  That is most likely quite a ways off though.  

Anyone involved in the ideas portion of Vanguard, being involved in a new game, should seriously be considered. Coincidentally (LOL), anyways involved in the implementation portion of Vanguard, being involved in a new game, should be avoided like the plague.

If that guy was in the ideas side of Vanguard, then Pantheon is definitely something you should consider. It could turn out to be the game to play for a long, long time.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Anyone involved in the ideas portion of Vanguard, being involved in a new game, should seriously be considered. Coincidentally (LOL), anyways involved in the implementation portion of Vanguard, being involved in a new game, should be avoided like the plague.

If that guy was in the ideas side of Vanguard, then Pantheon is definitely something you should consider. It could turn out to be the game to play for a long, long time.

Indeed. But it could also release in a complete mess killing off most of the games potential so it is of course a gamble.

With the other games in development it was the gamble I made though but you need to consider the risks as well as the potential.

Vanguard could have been a great game if it had a better lead programmer and a few bucks more budget. When it finally got playable almost all potential customers had lost interest.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited December 2016
    Yeah.. me too, I've started playing some games I never in my wildest dreams would have though about playing.

I was thinking about building a new PC and then it hit me, for what? There's practically nothing out that peaks my interest, if it does it's probably some old school indie game that could run on a $100 laptop.

Anything that looks remotely interesting is either still in development or in some sort of early access scam.

Idk, maybe it's time to buy the new Final Fantasy and play some single player games lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    See I dont want to resort to FFXV, I liked most of them but just cant seem to get into the story line, BDO might be my best bet for now..... just sucks FFXIV was going ok, seems a bit dead on Cactaur but thats supposedly one of the bigger servers so I dunno. I am lost.... lol
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    The outlook is very grim for the genre.  I'm back to playing GD WoW of all the things.  Luckily they have really increased the illusion of freedom kinda like BDO but on a smaller less involved scale.  There are some indie games with the right idea but no funds to create a true MMORPG in a realistic amount of time.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Camelot Unchained
    Pantheon
    Crowfall

If you haven't tried it yet and are a fan of games from a long time ago then I'd suggest Shroud of the Avatar to hold you over until any of the 3 above become available.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited December 2016
    Got my eye on a few but the main one on the horizon for me is Age Of Wushu 2. 

Unlike the original title, Age of Wushu 2 isn't set in any era in ancient China, and it has no quests and character stats. All of these changes are supposed to make AOW2 go beyond martial arts genre. The team wants to stress on freedom, sandbox, and exploration for Age of Wushu 2. Like The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, the hit or miss in AOW2 won't be determined by your stats or gear but physical position and combat style.

According to Snail Games, NPCs have advanced behaviors and they will ally other NPCs and even form an alliance. They'll participate in many events in the sandbox world and affect the world. NPCs won't give you quests but will interact with players and the world in a more complicated way.

Age of Wushu 2 will have a totally different combat system. It claims the physics has reached the level of inverse kinematics. There will be no health bar, no pop-up numbers tell you how damage you make, and no icons notify you what buff/debuff you have, and instead, all these conditions will be presented in physically realistic way.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    FFXIV SHOULD have or could have been the go to game for everyone,but a terrible change in direction ruined their franchise and the game for many.It has the graphics,it covers all bases for content,it truly could have been miles the best option out there.

I don't really need graphics,sure i don't like total garbage like what Wow was selling people from day 1 with terrible looking textures but i also don't need ffxiv graphics but yes would be nice.What i need is a game design like FFXI ,would be great if done even better because there definitely is room to copy FFXI but do it 10x better.
    So until that game comes around or at least a reasonable design with everything i expect from crafting to housing to skills/abilities accuracy avoidance etc etc.I also want something creative in the combat system,you know some sort of Renkai idea that FFXI used.I also like to see creative or FUN content such as FFXI's Besieged,still the best content of ANY game ..period.

If no developer will put in the effort to create a creative ,complete game ,i will just continue to play FFXI for free.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Wizardry said:
    FFXIV SHOULD have or could have been the go to game for everyone,but a terrible change in direction ruined their franchise and the game for many.It has the graphics,it covers all bases for content,it truly could have been miles the best option out there.

I don't really need graphics,sure i don't like total garbage like what Wow was selling people from day 1 with terrible looking textures but i also don't need ffxiv graphics but yes would be nice.What i need is a game design like FFXI ,would be great if done even better because there definitely is room to copy FFXI but do it 10x better.
    So until that game comes around or at least a reasonable design with everything i expect from crafting to housing to skills/abilities accuracy avoidance etc etc.I also want something creative in the combat system,you know some sort of Renkai idea that FFXI used.I also like to see creative or FUN content such as FFXI's Besieged,still the best content of ANY game ..period.

If no developer will put in the effort to create a creative ,complete game ,i will just continue to play FFXI for free.

Considering how well FF14 is doing.  I would say you are completely wrong on it.  Is it a game for you?  Well no, the only game for you is FF11... forever.
    FFXIV I think has come to an end for me for now, until Samurai or redmage/bluemage make an appearance. I just logged on and its so dead the game has become a Party Finder game where you stand in a city and just PF all day rather than be a mmo.... makes me sad I wanted that game to work, I guess its back to BDO for now.
  • MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

I doubt, any game will capture the old community spirit. New games are made for solo, power gamers, gold farmers and so forth. Forcing you to group for quests doesn't have the same effect. 

Old MMOs were played by a different generation of gamers. We didn't need a log-in gift, or rewards cause server was down an extra five minutes during maintenance. We didn't play just to hit endgame and get a 'I'm a special no lifer' title. We played to be part of the community, make a few friends along the way. Even at max levels, we found things to do...not cry cause the game didn't have more.

MMOs now are being made like everything else in life, disposable. Good for a time, but rather than tryin to keep it going, it's just a simple and easy to replace.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited December 2016
    DMKano said:
    It is an unrealistic expectation to have the original AWE experience of your first MMO being recaptured again.

So dont look for new MMOs to bring back the same feeling you had when you first fell in love with MMOs, no game will ever match it.

instead enjoy current games for the positives they have and enjoy them for what they are.

Once you stop comparing new games to the original love, you can be happy again and enjoy new games on their own merits.
    A "theory" I don't agree with and certainly doesn't match.my personal experience.

My first MMORPGs was Lineage 1 and while it had its charms, it sort of sucked in many ways.

DAOC was the first title to really draw me in and became one of my all time favorites. Messed around a bit with L2, SB but DAOC remained the favorite until the negative impact of TOA and NF could no longer be ignored. Until...

WOW launched. The magic was back with fresh, new (to me) gameplay and I really enjoyed it until BC came out and it was clear Blizzard was going to take the title down an increasingly more casual design road.

Played a few more titles that either came no where near its quality (Vanguard) or adopted so many of its design concepts it felt like I was largely playing the same game. (LOTRO, ROM, and most every AAA or Asian game that followed.)

Then came EVE and the magic was back once again, and remains my all time favorite, still to this day go to MMORPG. (again, fresh, new gameplay is the key)

That was over 9 years ago.

Either AAA MMORPG devs can't think of significant new ideas anymore, or won't take a chance on reengineering previously used and discarded ideas, most titles are so bland its not surprising you and others feel the magic is forever lost.

Besides dude, you've played way too many games.

:p

Cues the music, "and I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I haven't had a newer game immerse me for quite a while.  I find myself recycling time in SWTOR, GW2, FFXIV and TSW.  ESO was a game I was so hopeful about but alas it failed me in many ways.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited December 2016
    xcerebrus said:
    My question is, what game really captured you in it?
    From my experience, it's an incredibly personal thing.

I was "captured" by Star Wars Galaxies, then EQ2 and lately GW2.
    All of those games gripped me, to the point where I really cared about my character, the lore and the world, for a long period of time.

At the same time, several of my friends could not stand the games. A friend bought GW2 with me. He played it for a few weeks and did not enjoy it at all. He actually sold his account to another friend for 5$ - the game had no value to him whatsoever. The opposite could be said for me. I spent hundreds of hours in that game, over the period of 3 years.

I had friends from SWG, who did not enjoy EQ2. Similarly, I had friends in EQ2 who did not enjoy GW2. I think the magical spark that "does it for me" is quite unique to myself.

I don't think it's a matter of polish. EQ2 was buggy. In many ways it was less polished than WoW, with a smaller population, less marketing and less cohesive expansions. Still, I never cared for WoW and absolutely fell in love with the EQ2 world. Yet, many people absolutely love WoW (including the lore and the world).

If 4 out of 5 people in this thread agree that game X captured them (as if that could ever happen), it does not necessarily mean the same game will capture you.
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Well... I mean, it all depends on how far back we're going. MMOs used to follow a quality standard, both in ideas, design, and especially care. Whoever comes in later and ruins the games, or whoever is now on the design panel before its released, they are really destroying these games in epic fashion.

First it was UO, then SWG, then WoW. That's it. Nothing else came close, in MMO land. If it's epicly good, I'll play it until it's epicly bad or, in SWG's case, until WoW came out and captured SWG's audience.

If something like either of those comes out, well, this MMO market is in for a wake-up call.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

I get that nothing will recapture that first mmo moment for most, i just find myself recycling through the same games and its the community im really looking for I suppose, WoW community is meh, FFXIV is great but there is like no one around lately, SWTOR dead dead and more dead, best RPG  and story telling in the market right now imo but otherwise just a ghost town and a great single player game.

I just hope something new comes out soon I am bored to tears with whats available....
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    It is an unrealistic expectation to have the original AWE experience of your first MMO being recaptured again.

It is also unrealistic to think that a mmo in 2017 will have the same community like games had back in 1999/2000. The playerbase is vastly different.

Its time to drop unrealistic expectations.

So dont look for new MMOs to bring back the same feeling you had when you first fell in love with MMOs, no game will ever match it.

instead enjoy current games for the positives they have and enjoy them for what they are.

Once you stop comparing new games to the original love, you can be happy again and enjoy new games on their own merits.

I have been gaming since I was a little kid.  Board games, made up games, videos games, rpgs, etc until not.  I even played poker (and other card games)  with the adults when I was in 5th grade and would win.  I am a gamer.  I live to enjoy games even those games were the rules where bad.  It is a mindset and an approach to playing games.  You experience doesn't line up with my experience in this regard.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"