Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - What Shape Will Housing Take in ESO? - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I think EQ2 and SWTOR have the best housing with the easiest to use interface for it. I HATE Rift's housing. You get bombarded with furniture.. then there's more spread across multiple vendors in multiple locations.. for multiple currencies.. It's a mess and 100% pointless. If you like a decorating game for the sake of decorating, then you're better off playing something more dedicated to it. EQ2 had portals and buffs from items and trophy items.. etc. SWTOR has portals, vendors, etc.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I know it's silly, but I just want a farm. I hope we get one, if not at the outset, soon after.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited December 2016
    DMKano said:
    I think the shape of housing will be mostly flat walls with windows, and sloped roofs
    :D

Not the Argonian ones

or Bosmer

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I know it's silly, but I just want a farm. I hope we get one, if not at the outset, soon after.
    You sound like me before my hobby farm phase in my late 20's. All it did for me was confirm that I'm a city guy through and through :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Pvp housing!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I LOVE ESO, but it MUST have a few Home Owner Associations. We need to pay to live in gated communities so that we can look down our nose at those outside the wall. We can elect HOA presidents and other needed offices. In our HOA we will be required to keep things nice and we will conform to the opinions and guidelines of others. Obviously only certain, nicer mounts will be allowed to be ridden within the HOA.

The HOA President will NOT be a Crown... he can't yell On Me and More Seige!

OH! and there must be Paint Station for the housing (kinda like Dye Stations). Ugly painted houses won't be allowed in the HOA. And the lawns will need to be nice and tidy.

If we get to go in YOUR house there can NOT be any dishes on the counter or stacked in the sink!!

This is how housing should be... I have no idea wth you peepz up above are talking about.

Sz :o)
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Not sure if anyone has tried it or not but a virtual open world house front that was basically a portal to an instance would be the 'best' compromise. Then that instance could be tailored as to how Rift tailors their dimensions. Some could have prebuilt areas people could buy like a generic guild house or shop or tavern or whatever that they could customize and others could be a blank slate ou could make anything you want out of. Obviously iy would have to be semi logical as in you couldnt have a tiny tent facade and have it open up into a giant castle but obviously each facade would generate instances of varying sizes so a tent or hut or something similar would be small, akin to the starter dimension in Rift.

Rift should have done that with their system. While keys are a logical portal it still doesnt have any open world feel to it other than each dimension being a mirror of the open world portion they emulate.

Or they could take a step back and do something like Lotro does with an instanced neighborhood and allow people to build on their own separate lots within that neighborhood.

But no game has ever gotten house right but if you morphed the best aspect of the ones that have done it you can find something that could be pretty unique even though it was 'borrowed' from multiple games.

ARk is obviously the best 'housing' game there is especially with all the mods out there but for a full scale MMO its not plausible. Life is Feudal is second but again a small server game (until the MMO releases if it ever does). Rift is third because it has prefab structures along with the ability to free form build your own. Difference is its obviously instanced (which any MMO has to do) despite what players of Archeage might want to claim. Archeage seems decent at first but once you get into it you see its nothing special basically a plot of land you 'plant' stuff on be it actual plants, animals or buildings. The variety is next to zero and no customization at all.

There are ways to do it and if done right it will more than pay for itself, As Trino and Turbine how they did. Dimensions is a cottage (no pun) industry in Rift with people spending hundreds and thousands of dollars in it. And lotro just released their premium houses and each one of those costs between 8 and 50 real life dollars. And the last I looked most neighborhoods were sold out and that was awhile ago. Each neighborhood was around 800 real life dollars 'worth' of houses I think. So ride around a few servers and start counting up all those full neighborhoods and do some napkin math.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I liked wildstars house plots
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited December 2016

You are getting old, Bill.
  • chanmingchanming Member UncommonPosts: 52
    if they did it like archeage...
  • Darkonflare15Darkonflare15 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    The apartments are actually rooms in the inns hence why they are free. You have to pay for the small homes just like the mediums and large homes.
  • LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Guess it's time to start buying and hording all that cheap lumber.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I think it would work just to let people attach notes with reference to the history of the items furnishing thier homes, for example, if you had a crafter make you a peice, your historical note to that peice might have information about the crafter who made it and how you aquired the materials and any interesting things that happened as you gathered the materials.
  • MorBladeMorBlade Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Best player housing in an MMO in my opinion was Star Wars Galaxies and second Everquest 2. spent many hours of decorating in both games on days I didn't feel like adventure. Play Rift and Wildstar from time to time and just never bothered after a while. Another MMO with fun player housing is Black Desert, I'm finding it a lot like EQ2. I'm hoping ESO has at least the ability to move stuff and build furniture.
    Mor
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Shape? My guess is the lazy end of hooks.