Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR Re-evaluated as 'Biggest Loser' for 2016 Holiday Sales - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited November 2016
    I played VR for the first time a few weeks ago (PS4).

I was blown away. The feeling of real depth was certainly there. It felt like I was part of the game. When I would look over a mountain side, I was actually pretty afraid. Moreover, I couldn't believe how responsive the controls were. They are certainly on the right path.

Problems:

#1. Price.

#2. Game selection. The games, as far as I know, are very short lived. The Indy devs over at Unity3D are going VR crazy, though.

#3. Motion sickness. I was able to play for a good 30 minutes before I started to feel a tad noxious. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but the feeling was there for at least an hour after playing.

If the price for the VR was around $200, I would buy it now in an instant. If there were some AAA CoD-like Multiplayer games or WoW/EQ-like MMORPG games available for VR, I would certainly pay $500 for it.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    ianicus said:

That makes it the 5th time they've revised their numbers.  5 TIMES .. all declines, starting from late last year and several times this year.

For an industry that's supposed to be booming, its first year sure started with a whimper.  

The sad thing is that PSVR still outsold the rest of the sets.

I dont see how its sad, its completely expected, it is the mainstream vr device. The rift and vive are enthusiast equipment.

Keep in mind, in April, PSVR, Vive and Rift were supposed to sell over 6 MILLION units.......
    in only 2016?
    or as 'we need to sell 6 million to break even' (which does not mean we need to break even , or break even this year but rather that is the mathmatical number one would require to break even IF one wanted to)

No I'm talking specifically about the Superdata Analysis in April that stated over 6 Million VR units would be sold.  

Keep in mind Superdata  Made a 2016 prediction in 2015,  then again in early 2016,  then decreased the estimates,  then again,  then the one you posted last month... and now this one.   They were all declines.  I'm just stating where we "started from" in 2016. 

Dauzqul said:
    I played VR for the first time a few weeks ago (PS4).

I was blown away. The feeling of real depth was certainly there. It felt like I was part of the game. When I would look over a mountain side, I was actually pretty afraid. Moreover, I couldn't believe how responsive the controls were. They are certainly on the right path.

Problems:

#1. Price.

#2. Game selection. The games, as far as I know, are very short lived. The Indy devs over at Unity3D are going VR crazy, though.

#3. Motion sickness. I was able to play for a good 30 minutes before I started to feel a tad noxious. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but the feeling was there for at least an hour after playing.

If the price for the VR was around $200, I would buy it now in an instant. If there were some AAA CoD-like Multiplayer games or WoW/EQ-like MMORPG games available for VR, I would certainly pay $500 for it.
    Microsofts VR set next year launches for 300.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

PSVR will be fine because Sony has 1st Party studios that will make AAA games.

I am sure we will some at Playstation Experience December 3. 

As for Ouculas and Vive that is a different story. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Recore said:

the trend of AAA 1st party 'firewall' if you will is changing. 
    indies are a real and serious threat to AAAs now and almost all of that is happening in the PC space.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    ianicus said:

That makes it the 5th time they've revised their numbers.  5 TIMES .. all declines, starting from late last year and several times this year.

For an industry that's supposed to be booming, its first year sure started with a whimper.  

I dont see how its sad, its completely expected, it is the mainstream vr device. The rift and vive are enthusiast equipment.

Keep in mind, in April, PSVR, Vive and Rift were supposed to sell over 6 MILLION units.......
    in only 2016?
    or as 'we need to sell 6 million to break even' (which does not mean we need to break even , or break even this year but rather that is the mathmatical number one would require to break even IF one wanted to)

No I'm talking specifically about the Superdata Analysis in April that stated over 6 Million VR units would be sold.  

Keep in mind Superdata  Made a 2016 prediction in 2015,  then again in early 2016,  then decreased the estimates,  then again,  then the one you posted last month... and now this one.   They were all declines.  I'm just stating where we "started from" in 2016. 
    ok so let me get this straight.

1. the 'would need to'  means based on SuperData 'Predictions'
    2. we now consider SuperData to be a good source for predictions
    3. (and this is the most important part) the SuperData Prediction you are refering to as 'would need' is EXPLICTLY stated to be for the year of 2016 NOT for sales beyond the year of 2016 either stated explicitly or implicitly.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    ianicus said:

in only 2016?

3. (and this is the most important part) the SuperData Prediction you are refering to as 'would need' is EXPLICTLY stated to be for the year of 2016 NOT for sales beyond the year of 2016 either stated explicitly or implicitly.

Okay I'm confused,  you're talking about profitability and "would need to" mentions when what you quoted has nothing about "needing"  and all about "Original projections".

I think you should refine whatever argument you're trying to make because I don't understand your point at all.

1 - Superdata said VR sets would sell 6 Million by end of year back in april
    2 - after 4 more projections, no set will even hit the 1 million mark, with the PC sets averaging lower than the console set thats been on the market for half the time.

Go back to the original thread I posted where we argued over "sales data"  YOU stated that superdata was right last time.  YOU said they were right. Not me.  I specifically said that superdata is constantly incorrect - but it's quite telling that each new projection is a decrease.

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    ianicus said:

in only 2016?

Okay I'm confused,  you're talking about profitability and "would need to" mentions when what you quoted has nothing about "needing"  and all about "Original projections".

I think you should refine whatever argument you're trying to make because I don't understand your point at all.

1 - Superdata said VR sets would sell 6 Million by end of year back in april
    2 - after 4 more projections, no set will even hit the 1 million mark, with the PC sets averaging lower than the console set thats been on the market for half the time.

Go back to the original thread I posted where we argued over "sales data"  YOU stated that superdata was right last time.  YOU said they were right. Not me.  I specifically said that superdata is constantly incorrect - but it's quite telling that each new projection is a decrease.
    ok if (and I suspect its not true) IF SuperData predicted (which is not 'need') that there would be 6 million VR headsets sold before Dec 31 2016 then I say they are full of shit.
    Reason being PS4 VR came out mid October that is less than 3 months to the end of the year. what exactly where they smoking?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:

indies are a real and serious threat to AAAs now and almost all of that is happening in the PC space.

Console or PC?

I do not care what happens with PC gaming. The only thing that I play on PC are mmos. Everything else I play on consoles. 

PC does not have companys that make AAA games anymore. 

Microsoft and Sony have their own studios that make AAA for their platforms. 

Indies will never be a threat to AAA's on console. 

It is the time of Console gaming. Tune in December 3rd to see  :)

edited November 2016
    Recore said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:

Console or PC?

I do not care what happens with PC gaming. The only thing that I play on PC are mmos. Everything else I play on consoles. 

PC does not have companys that make AAA games anymore. 

Microsoft and Sony have their own studios that make AAA for their platforms. 

Indies will never be a threat to AAA's on console. 

It is the time of Console gaming. Tune in December 3rd to see  :)

my bad ignore, I went back and re-read your statement and I basically read into it what was not intented. by bad

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ok if (and I suspect its not true) IF SuperData predicted (which is not 'need') that there would be 6 million VR headsets sold before Dec 31 2016 then I say they are full of shit.
    Reason being PS4 VR came out mid October that is less than 3 months to the end of the year. what exactly where they smoking?

You may not remember but if you go back through my post history you'll see the original reports and where we argued about it EVEN BACK THEN IN APRIL... so you've seen the reports.

the 6 MILLION UNITS were NOT driven by PSVR.  Instead of going through my own post history I just did a quick search:

"While premium PC VR hardware like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive is predicted to sell 6.6 million units total, PlayStation's VR system is expected to sell 1.9 million. The lion's share of the market will come from light mobile VR like Google Cardboard, with 27.1 million units sold."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/05/virtual-reality-expected-to-generate-51-billion-in-2016

https://www.superdataresearch.com/virtual-reality-market-brief/

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    lel?

I'm having a great time in VR.  Those I've shown it to have been very impressed as well. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

You may not remember but if you go back through my post history you'll see the original reports and where we argued about it EVEN BACK THEN IN APRIL... so you've seen the reports.

the 6 MILLION UNITS were NOT driven by PSVR.  Instead of going through my own post history I just did a quick search:

"While premium PC VR hardware like the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive is predicted to sell 6.6 million units total, PlayStation's VR system is expected to sell 1.9 million. The lion's share of the market will come from light mobile VR like Google Cardboard, with 27.1 million units sold."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/05/virtual-reality-expected-to-generate-51-billion-in-2016

https://www.superdataresearch.com/virtual-reality-market-brief/

yes I know that all 4 million was not to be just PS4 VR. I was not trying ot imply that. I was implying that the largest seller of that group was not even on sale until mid Oct.

Leaving the other items

1. I need to know where its SPECIFIC to ONLY 2016
    2. Are we or are we not now considering SuperData to be a reliable source of information?
    3. 'back in april' you had me believing that 'they needed' instead of 'a prediction was made and the prediction was not even a VR company and that is what you were refering to' because the two are RADICALLY different

this article is idiotic.

2017 maybe but a year in which the Oculus didnt even go on sale until mid years, HTC was virtually unknown and PS4 would be on sale in October?

where they smoking crack or just had no idea when these devices would actually go on sale?

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Torval said:
    lol at anyone thinking Sony can't sell 3 million gadgets in a quarter. That's exactly, to the point, the thing they excel at. It may be an ambitious goal, and not surprising that they miss it, but it's also a realistic goal they could achieve.

Ooooo, what's a "gadget"? I want one!!!

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited November 2016
    I get the feeling now over the entire course of a year everytime you have said 'they need' or 'its a failure because' you have been refering to Predictions. wow! what a MAJOR misunderstanding. to me 'they need' and missing 'that need' when the 'need' is a prediction made by superdata and a VR company ACTUALLY needing to hit that target are very very very very radically different things

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Scot said:
    I among many others said it is too soon....again. Been here before, this tech will truly take off when the visor is as light as a pair of glasses, and people do not complain of headaches after a couple of hours use, but not before that's sorted.
    It just looks lame and real geeky to most people. But when its like a pair of sunglasses sales will jump big time. Its way to soon.
    Torval said:
    lel?

I'm having a great time in VR.  Those I've shown it to have been very impressed as well. 
    It is very impressive technology, but it has some pretty glaring problems that it needs to work through before it's going to see better adoption. Not addressing those problems could sour enthusiasm in all but the most ardent fans and stunt its growth.

It faces serious competition in the holiday sale season from mature products sold at deep discounts. It faces serious competition from non-tech products. It's an election year and people tend to spend more conservatively for several months during a transition between the two parties.

I think one of the biggest dangers fragmentation brings is that enthusiasm will wane. At some point a new tech darling will come on the scene. Everyone will want to be a part of that thing. Studios and pubs will jump on that just like they always do and VR could be sidelined as a niche gimmick. That would truly be a shame. I don't think that's the likely outcome but it's a reasonable possibility and fragmentation is the biggest factor in contributing to it.
    I wish I had a fucking clue which products you are refering to?

Amazon Echo? no idea

SEANMCAD said:
    I get the feeling now over the entire course of a year everytime you have said 'they need' or 'its a failure because' you have been refering to Predictions. wow! what a MAJOR misunderstanding. to me 'they need' and missing 'that need' when the 'need' is a prediction made by superdata and a VR company ACTUALLY needing to hit that target are very very very very radically different things
    No, I don't really base "needs" off of the predictions.  You know the quotes I use when I speak about needs.  Like Zuckerbergs quote where they NEED 100 Million units to become profitable.  I don't generally state a time frame, other than that they believed that would happen sooner than later.

I wasn't trying to state that anything NEEDS to happen.  I was just stating how early predictions were in the 6 Million range,  and how recent predictions are now in the less than 1 million range.  

I didn't believe superdata's reports are actual projected necessities.  What we do know is that there are targets that HTC and Sony and Facebook have, and that they are not hitting those targets.

How do we know this?  Each quarterly call,  the last one Zuckerberg stated simply that Rift was off to a slow start.   Sony stated numbers were meeting expectations initially, but on the second earnings report refused to release solid numbers to investors.   HTC admitted to slow adoption, but that they are profitable on every set they sell -- but they did not give specifics on how many they need to sell to dig them out of the financial hole.

Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    lel?

It is very impressive technology, but it has some pretty glaring problems that it needs to work through before it's going to see better adoption. Not addressing those problems could sour enthusiasm in all but the most ardent fans and stunt its growth.

It faces serious competition in the holiday sale season from mature products sold at deep discounts. It faces serious competition from non-tech products. It's an election year and people tend to spend more conservatively for several months during a transition between the two parties.

I think one of the biggest dangers fragmentation brings is that enthusiasm will wane. At some point a new tech darling will come on the scene. Everyone will want to be a part of that thing. Studios and pubs will jump on that just like they always do and VR could be sidelined as a niche gimmick. That would truly be a shame. I don't think that's the likely outcome but it's a reasonable possibility and fragmentation is the biggest factor in contributing to it.

Amazon Echo? no idea
    I wish you did too. It would make trying to have a discussion so much easier.
    you wish you knew which products you where refering to when you made the statement?

whatz?

I am asking you a question. which products are you refering to in your statement because this year I dont see dick.

Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Torval said:
    lol at anyone thinking Sony can't sell 3 million gadgets in a quarter. That's exactly, to the point, the thing they excel at. It may be an ambitious goal, and not surprising that they miss it, but it's also a realistic goal they could achieve.
    Ooooo, what's a "gadget"? I want one!!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadget

Here, take your pick: http://www.sony.com/ They literally have millions of them. :chuffed: ::chuffed:
    no he was asking which one sells 3 million in a quarter

SEANMCAD said:
    ... Like Zuckerbergs quote where they NEED 100 Million units to become profitable. ....
    like this statement.

1. its not even accurate.
    2. its not related to any time frame it could be 1 year or 100 years he doesnt say WHEN in their plans (like the orginal xbox) that they want to become profitable.
    3. its related to hardware and at least Oculus has stated more than once they do not plan to make money from the hardware..but rather...the sells of games, advertising and software.

SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    lel?

Amazon Echo? no idea
    you wish you knew which products you where refering to when you made the statement?

whatz?

I am asking you a question. which products are you refering to in your statement because this year I dont see dick.
    were you hoping to see dick?

SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    lel?

Amazon Echo? no idea

whatz?

or at least something!
    He refers to these magical products in the market this year that is unusual from other years and I have not a fucking clue what products he is talking about. 
    Maybe he is refering to some new tech in dick technology. no idea

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    lel?

Amazon Echo? no idea

whatz?

Maybe he is refering to some new tech in dick technology. no idea
    well played, sir.